• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can get unlimited Shadow of War loot boxes on PC with cheats

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Jesus christ why do people keep on spreading misinformation?

Again, gold lootboxes are not only buyable with real money. You get gold currency for free with daily and community challenges.

I'm going to quote you with hopes that it may stick with some of them.

Ploid 3.0

Loot boxes for single player, pay to play game is one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard of.

Random loot drops from enemies? Fine

Collecting in game currency to get random things related to gameplay, or spend real money to get even more chances? What are you thinking?

diaspora

Again, gold lootboxes are not only buyable with real money. You get gold currency for free with daily and community challenges.
That's fine, the sentiment I'm trying to get across is that the gold coins will have an exploit too.

Ploid 3.0

I have a feeling they designed the game around what is found in those boxes somehow. There will be some desire to get the grinding over by going in your wallet. Maybe even just a little bit. "Daily" is reason enough I'm guessing from the post above.

When GTAO launched weeks after GTA5 I thought I might be ok with it. I found a few missions I liked, I was able to do them with surgical precision, and it was very fun to try to do it quicker somehow. Then pappa Rockstar removed the replay mission button, making me travel back to the missions each time. Then they made the rewards for replaying a mission significantly less. Shark cards wasn't the only way to get credits in GTA5, but Rockstar sure wanted to make the game annoying to earn it. They even did something to the survival missions, I stopped playing so I have no idea what it was.

Mr Moose

Good, fuck them. Ass Creed next please? (I won't buy either of those games and I used to love Ass Creed, fuck their shit).

Froxenblade

Neo Member
This is really cool, and while this type of cheat engine may fall in the same realm as being "illegal" or "piracy", I'd say players are in the moral free and clear here. It wouldn't sit on my conscience for one moment to "cheat" my way to loot boxes in a fucking single player game. As others have said, you're not gaining anything of value in these boxes anyhow. It's all ephemeral.

The whole thing still dampens any excitement I had for the game, however. I was a huge Shadow of Mordor fan, but of all the games having loot boxes forcibly injected into them this season, Shadow of War is the most bizarre. There is nothing that makes this type of thing okay in a single player game of this kind. And a full price retail game, at that. As much as I was looking forward to this game, I'll probably pass on it, or at the very least wait a year for a fairly significant Steam sale. It's just a layer of the game, however large or small, I'd rather not deal with.

Tareskog

What the fuck have we come to when people call cheats in a single player piracy. I really hope those guys and gals are being sarcastic.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What the fuck have we come to when people call cheats in a single player piracy. I really hope those guys and gals are being sarcastic.

I think most of them haven't even touched the game and don't realize that there's a big difference between in game currency, paid gold and what you can buy with each.

yavebg

Neo Member
Are there things that are exclusive to the real money loot boxes?
If not I might actually pick this up during a sale.
I remember doing something similar with MGSV because the times it took to upgrade stuff for your motherbase just got insane after a while. Wait 24 hours to get this new gun? No thanks

EDIT: also wth people calling this piracy? If the ESRB isnt calling it gambling, Im fine with this not being piracy

i get the feeling that this is actually bad and that WB will force Monolith to ban people or come up with something else to punish players, as for some of the Gaffers on this thread, i simply cannot believe their posts, how can cheating in SP be considered piracy? its a Single Player game on PC, cheating has been a thing since FOREVER on SP games, so if i managed to edit my Orcs or Inventory that is a crime???? smh.

Yeah, WB might be in a series of meeting on how to overcome this right now.

Are there things that are exclusive to the real money loot boxes?
If not I might actually pick this up during a sale.
I remember doing something similar with MGSV because the times it took to upgrade stuff for your motherbase just got insane after a while. Wait 24 hours to get this new gun? No thanks

EDIT: also wth people calling this piracy? If the ESRB isnt calling it gambling, Im fine with this not being piracy

According to PCGamer, it seems that the content of silver and gold loot boxes are different.
To be clear, Miriam is not the premium currency that requires real money to purchase, and the silver tier of chests do not reward legendary uruks or gear—those are saved for crates you need to buy with Gold, the premium currency. But you can still accrue a formidable army and enough powerful gear to take on Shadow of War's greatest challenges with ease.

There is literally no correlation between this being piracy and loot boxes being gambling..

Character skin packs in street fighter 5 also have no monetary value and cannot be resold. Are they also gambling?

I'm ok with this anyway. If the game can be cheated into giving you the good items have at it. If the publisher really wants to try to sell items they should also have to secure it in game.
there actually is.

if you are spending money on a chance to win something that has monetary value, you are gambling. gambling is heavily regulated. publishers claim that the contents of loot boxes have no monetary value so that it is not gambling. therefore using cheats in this game to gain something that has no monetary value can not be considered piracy.

The same reason they say that you can only get legendaries from gold boxes.

Because they're simply covering their ears and going 'lalalala' at everything.

MtZ9N.gif
this gif being used when there is the slightest differing opinion is boring

This cheat is just optional though.

Underrated comment.

But seriously, fuck loot boxes. In all forms. Even in games where they're just cosmetic. If you want to sell me some cosmetics to turn a bigger profit, then that's absolutely fine, show me the cosmetics and I'll happily buy the ones I like the look of if the price is right. Devs get more money, I get the exact cosmetics I wanted at a known and agreed price, everyone wins. Forcing me to gamble for them though... screw that, enjoy all the extra work people put into hacking and pirating your games to skirt around this anti-consumer bull.

Wouldn't it be easier to just generate free orcs?

Cheat Engine's main feature is for altering codes, not generating stuff. The closest possible way that I can think of is altering your normal orcs to epic ones.

Generating them out of nothing is probably possible, but would require lots of work (or maybe not, as I don't tinker CE that much).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hmmm.

This reminded me of the recent story where Epic sued folks who alter their game codes to use cheat in Fortnite, basing it on the ground that modifying game codes are forbidden by law.

Can the same be said about this cheat or not? Since the way this cheat is activated is by modifying codes in the game, right? Maybe the difference is that the folks in Fortnite's case were offering their services to people for money?

test_account

XP-39C²
I have a feeling they designed the game around what is found in those boxes somehow. There will be some desire to get the grinding over by going in your wallet. Maybe even just a little bit. "Daily" is reason enough I'm guessing from the post above.

When GTAO launched weeks after GTA5 I thought I might be ok with it. I found a few missions I liked, I was able to do them with surgical precision, and it was very fun to try to do it quicker somehow. Then pappa Rockstar removed the replay mission button, making me travel back to the missions each time. Then they made the rewards for replaying a mission significantly less. Shark cards wasn't the only way to get credits in GTA5, but Rockstar sure wanted to make the game annoying to earn it. They even did something to the survival missions, I stopped playing so I have no idea what it was.
Why is daily a reason for this? Honestly wondering. Daily challenges isnt something new. The challenges could give XP or whatever it might be (speaking about games in general, not about Shadow of War in specific), working as a "carrot" to bring people back every day. Its mainly there to make people come back to the game, keeping them engaged in the game.

Hmmm.

This reminded me of the recent story where Epic sued folks who alter their game codes to use cheat in Fortnite, basing it on the ground that modifying game codes are forbidden by law.

Can the same be said about this cheat or not? Since the way this cheat is activated is by modifying codes in the game, right? Maybe the difference is that the folks in Fortnite's case were offering their services to people for money?
Its more to it than this. Epic Games are suing two people who are connected to Addicted Cheats, a website that sells cheats for certain games.They're not just suing two random players who simply used cheat in the game.

Audioboxer

Well if they weren't gunna patch it before, they sure as hell are gunna patch it now. RIP

That would just require an update for the cheat engine. Memory editors can't really be stopped. Trying to force always online is the only way. They could nuke the free loot boxes content, but a skilled creator of a memory editor/save game editor could just go down the route of getting items to spawn. Either directly into the inventory or in the game world. Cheats on the PC due to the open nature of the platform can get pretty elaborate.

While many keep pointing out this is the free loot box currency, not gold, obviously having 99999999999 of any currency with the click of a button upsets the mechanic of wanting people who are impatient to buy the gold currency. It might not be directly leading to the gold boxes opening, but it's cutting off the incentive to even go near them. More likely this game or the sequel will just make the only loot box gold. As I said above the cheaters way around that is just spawning items. Or things like infinite health defeat the requirement for any fancy paid in game assists anyway.

This is a battle the pubs and devs can't really win, but it's just interesting to see how hostile they will get as loot boxes become such a focus. We've seen how piracy fears led to some really insane attempts at DRM over the years. Some have now dropped that, others cling on whilst even Denuvo gets defeated. Pubs and devs will no doubt feel cheats are now piracy too, so wanting to paint people who literally download the game for nothing with the same brush as those who exempt themselves from any attempts at monetization. The great SP cheaters are literally thiefs days are probably now upon us.

Welcome to PC gaming, where pubs and devs have always been mildly frustrated they can't get away with as much as what goes on in the closed environments on console. Bethesda even having their paid mods storefront available to PC gamers is a bit of a lol. Console gamers, primarily PS4 gamers due to Sony's restrictions are how that will earn some money. Speaking of Sony, they are hostile to cross platform play probably partly from some insanely stupid fear of their networks "safety". As much as I'm primarily a console gamer these days, while it has some pros the PC is still the platform that will always be more consumer friendly to the end user. It will always be the platform that enables technical whizz kids to allow tweaking/patching/editing/etc of products you've paid for.

That would just require an update for the cheat engine. Memory editors can't really be stopped. Trying to force always online is the only way. They could nuke the free loot boxes content, but a skilled creator of a memory editor/save game editor could just go down the route of getting items to spawn. Either directly into the inventory or in the game world. Cheats on the PC due to the open nature of the platform can get pretty elaborate.

While many keep pointing out this is the free loot box currency, not gold, obviously having 99999999999 of any currency with the click of a button upsets the mechanic of wanting people who are impatient to buy the gold currency. It might not be directly leading to the gold boxes opening, but it's cutting off the incentive to even go near them. More likely this game or the sequel will just make the only loot box gold. As I said above the cheaters way around that is just spawning items. Or things like infinite health defeat the requirement for any fancy paid in game assists anyway.

This is a battle the pubs and devs can't really win, but it's just interesting to see how hostile they will get as loot boxes become such a focus. We've seen how piracy fears led to some really insane attempts at DRM over the years. Some have now dropped that, others cling on whilst even Denuvo gets defeated. Pubs and devs will no doubt feel cheats are now piracy too, so wanting to paint people who literally download the game for nothing with the same brush as those who exempt themselves from any attempts at monetization.

Welcome to PC gaming, where pubs and devs have always been mildly frustrated they can't get away with as much as what goes on in the closed environments on console. Bethesda even having their paid mods storefront available to PC gamers is a bit of a lol. Console gamers, primarily PS4 gamers due to Sony's restrictions are how that will earn some money. Speaking of Sony, they are hostile to cross platform play probably partly from some insanely stupid fear of their networks "safety".

Basically. Hackers/Cheaters/Nature find a way. :p Also, someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the PS4 has a save editor (https://www.savewizard.net/) which gives you access to cheats in single player modes as well. The major caveat is that you have to be on Firmware 4.74 or below.

EDIT: Capcom also blocked Cheat Engine in RE7. You either had to use an unsigned version or just use a trainer to bypass it.

Audioboxer

Basically. Hackers/Cheaters/Nature find a way. :p Also, someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the PS4 has a save editor (https://www.savewizard.net/) which gives you access to cheats in single player modes as well. The major caveat is that you have to be on Firmware 4.74 or below.

EDIT: Capcom also blocked Cheat Engine in RE7. You either had to use an unsigned version or just use a trainer to bypass it.

That's pretty insane, I had no idea the PS4 had a save game editor. I'd never touch it myself due to the nature of having a PSN account with lots of monetary value. Plus I don't want my PS4 hardware banned. You could always do things like that on an offline PS4 but you'd worry about traces being left somehow.

Does RE7 even have microtransactions?

That's pretty insane, I had no idea the PS4 had a save game editor. I'd never touch it myself due to the nature of having a PSN account with lots of monetary value. Plus I don't want my PS4 hardware banned. You could always do things like that on an offline PS4 but you'd worry about traces being left somehow.

Does RE7 even have microtransactions?

You actually transfer your saves to PC to be modified. You aren't actually modifying the PS4 itself. However, I understand the concern.

I don't recall RE7 having any micro-transactions but I was surprised that Capcom actively tried to block it.

Audioboxer

You actually transfer your saves to PC to be modified. You aren't actually modifying the PS4 itself. However, I understand the concern.

I don't recall RE7 having any micro-transactions but I was surprised that Capcom actively tried to block it.

Ah okay, a little less risky then. It's still a concern with what Sony can do to an account/console.

Just seems to be general hostility to cheats, which isn't a surprise with the way the industry is shifting overall.

Jarsonot

You don't own the game, right? You just buy the rights to play the game?

But you DO own your memory sticks, and you should be able to change the values in them as you see fit. That's how I see it, anyway.

Vlade

Even if it isn't piracy, it is certainly violating the eula (or whatever they call it these days). The civil-ly legal thing to do if you won't play the game without this type of gameplay experience modification would be to not play the game.

but the cheating is optional.... so I guess we have precedent saying that does make everything ok....

lol well if I buy it, I will probably get it on PC now, so when it comes to the final section, I can cheat to avoid the loot box shit and the tedious grinding just to see the real ending.

JPS Kai

According to PCGamer, it seems that the content of silver and gold loot boxes are different.

To be clear, Miriam is not the premium currency that requires real money to purchase, and the silver tier of chests do not reward legendary uruks or gear—those are saved for crates you need to buy with Gold, the premium currency. But you can still accrue a formidable army and enough powerful gear to take on Shadow of War's greatest challenges with ease.

It's sad that I have to keep mentioning this and defending the lootboxes, but the Legendary part is still wrong. You have a percentage chance (for me, it was roughly 10-15%) to get Legendary gear/Uruks out of the Mirian-based lootboxes.

What you're missing out on versus the Gold premium lootboxes are two-hour based boosts and one-time use upgrades for the Uruks you recruit.

Ploid 3.0

Why is daily a reason for this? Honestly wondering. Daily challenges isnt something new. The challenges could give XP or whatever it might be (speaking about games in general, not about Shadow of War in specific), working as a "carrot" to bring people back every day. Its mainly there to make people come back to the game, keeping them engaged in the game.

I have a lot of experience with daily drip fed currency. I can barely take it in F2P games, again this is a pay to own game. If it was a MMORPG with a small monthly sub (half or a quarter of the average sub mmorpg) daily would be no problem for the currency. Having to wait a day, a week, and more to be able to get to your goal, instead of farming it when you have time is annoying.

My worst experience with daily capped, and weekly currency cap was Skyforge. That game was fun, it was free to play, but to progress on a class you were met with weekly currency caps (which factors in leveling up). The funny thing is the caps were additive, so you could take a month break and you would have a month's amount of cap to blow through. I decided to do a 2 month break and that turned into a year and a half + wait, and now I'm no longer interested. Such a shame.

If it was daily quests for extra exp, extra this or that, it wouldn't be as bad since I could just go for it if I need it, or ignore it (example, Street Fighter V fight money daily missions. I ignore them since I have enough Fight Money, but if I wanted a bit more I could see myself doing them. It's not the only free way to get them). I still don't know how important the loot crate items in this game are, but I did watch one vid saying that it's needed for some worthless true ending. It doesn't seem like the gold coins or whatever can be obtained outside of the dailies, and purchasing them. If there is another way then it's probably fine.

madjoki

The online has been cracked by REVOLT, now even pirates can open the silver lootboxes.

Probably won't last long until it's fixed, and apparently they just stole someone's account and everyone uses that one and thus all pirates are playing same game online :D

MUnited83

For you.
Probably won't last long until it's fixed, and apparently they just stole someone's account and everyone uses that one and thus all pirates are playing same game online :D

yeah, i read through the crackwatch thread and it's quite the amusing clusterfuck with the currency constantly resetting and the orc storage being full over and over.

Top Bottom