• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You own the rights to a franchise and can create 1 game in it. What do you choose?

Chiramii

Alright, let's see... I had lost all hope for Age of Empires IV but we got that, so, maybe there's still hope for something like F-Zero.

I'll take something really old then. Commander Keen.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Oh my god....

Can you imagine the puzzles if you had 3d?

Made by Monolithsoft, so probably no puzzles :(.

I would choose the Yoshi franchise and make it a 3D collectathon platformer with nice egg throwing puzzles, with level design by Gregg Mayles. I would not play it until it is finished, I would also not work on it outside of outlining the concept.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
KOTOR

I would make SWTOR non canon and finish of the franchise

Would make it so that the story was the same and same structure of planets, but would have Jedi knight combat

gunstarhero

My pick would have to be Phantasy Star - for the sole reason to produce PSV.

None of that online nonsense (tho I like those games a lot), but a proper JRPG sequel - with Dark Falz, Noah and a flying cat!

If i don't have trouble with recruiting personnel , then i would make another ar tonelico game.

i just want another game in this franchise.

Shiny Braixen

Neo Member
Haha I remember when I was really little I wanted to make a goofy open world Smash Bros rpg with seamless overworld-to-combat transitions and your party always following you on the overworld.

...Actually come to think of it I still kind of want this.

MissChief

MDK. Instead of the drop minigame starting each level, you actually get to chose where you land and how you finish a level. But no more cartoony artstyle like MDK2, I want the original dark, gritty and surrealistic style from the original.

Epiphyte

Mass Effect

But no trilogy, no grand universe spanning story

Just a hard boiled noir detective story set totally on the Citadel. Put it before the trilogy, right after the Human-Turian war.

joecanada

Mainline Mario game.

1up mushrooms cost real money
breaking special blocks unlocks crates. crates can be traded and bought with money and unlock various suits and powers, skins, etc. they have a time limit as before.
Pipes lead to special worlds, secret levels, etc. Pipes are unlocked with special keys. Keys cost money.
you can unlock other characters like princess, toad, luigi with crates.
There is local coop, but you must first unlock the MP dlc.

There is a time challenge online for every level. Winning a stage earns you a special cup. the cup can be unlocked with a key, which costs money.

Playing the game charges your online account by the minute.

I'd have to go with Halo. As talented as 343i are, I'm don't agree with the direction they've been taking the franchise, so I'd like to try to make one in the spirit of the classic games. It would be cool to get guys like Joe Staten and Marty O'Donnell back to work on one.

As far as ideas for one go, I'd like to see a 'soft reboot' for mainline Halo, where the premise would be something simple like you're a Spartan on an expeditionary ship that's tasked with locating the other Halo rings to make sure any remnant Covenant aren't attempting to activate one. It wouldn't have as complex of a story as Halo 4 or 5 attempted to have, but would instead focus on establishing a fun and compelling cast of characters, which could include anyone from Naval officers, scientists, marines, or ODST that are stationed aboard. You would also be the only Spartan on board (unless you're playing co-op) and would take the ship's AI with you, since I really missed that dynamic from the original trilogy and 4. Although it establishes a similar set up to what Halo 1 had, I wouldn't want to see a remake of it's plot, but instead really only rely on the Halo ring as an interesting setting. Not sure if I'd want to Flood to return, but I would want to see Forerunner Sentinels be expanded on as a faction, and maybe even have wildlife on the ring be hostile. Level design would be heavily influenced by 1, 3, and Reach, since I think those are the best overall examples how Halo sandbox levels should be designed. Gameplay would be rooted in classic gameplay, but expanded on to accommodate somewhat faster and more fluid gameplay. Base movement speed would be around Halo 1 levels of speed, with possibly a 'speed boost' mechanic like in Half-Life 2 that allows you to "sprint" in all directions without lowering your weapon for a limited time. This mechanic could also allow your Spartan to traverse zero-gravity environments by propelling you in whatever direction you want, which could create interesting encounters. For example, the gravity could be turned off in your ship and you'd have use your booster kit to traverse the environment and find your way to a place where you can switch it back on while fighting boarding Covenant. Clamber could also come back to allow for more accessible vertical gameplay, but work in all directions instead of just one. Zoom would also be welcome to return over the current Smart Scope system they have.

Anyways that would just be my ideal Halo game at the moment.

Bert409

Mega Man Classic 3D World reboot. Looks like the MM assets in Smash 4, plays like 3D Land/World but for MM, and features Robot Masters and their levels from MM 1-3. Maybe get Sakurai's team or EAD Tokyo to help make it.

Mcdohl

Archadian Chronicles: A Final Fantasy Tale

FFXII semi spinoff. Gameplay similar to FFXII but with modern day graphics. This time you start the game as a judge from the Archadian Empire, but as they task you to do morally questionable shit "in the name of the law", and you see how the Empire is corrupt as shit, you slowly turn yourself against them. Similar to Cecil in FF4.

Old friends become foes.

No one wants you, the enemies of Archadia don't trust you. But as you progress in the game a few misfits join your cause. Eventually you find an old abandoned castle and...gasp, you start an army there. (Like Suikoden brah).

Wars break out from time to time and they are played in a FFT fashion (each unit is a group or squad, to make the battles more large scale).

Phew, I could keep going.

An impossible dream, I know, but a man can dream, right?

Bl@de

Franchise: Wizardry
Team: Obsidian Entertainment
Writing: Chris Avellone
Director: The crackerjack Cleve "Neanderthal" Blakemore

Voorhees

Phantasy Star V: A multi-generational epic like 3: Generations of Doom, only not shitty. With FF type productions values and cutscenes.

Chipworm

Suikoden. I would love another installment in the style of 2.

I'd want that team back too. Suikoden 2 is by far my favourite game of all time.

cyber_ninja

Resistance fall of men reboot. The games is set in Russia when it all started. It's a story driven TPS game with dark and gritty atmosphere.

I would choose Streets Of Rage. Bombergames (the team behind SOR Remake) would be a perfect fit for a Sonic Mania-style sequel.

What's this? Do you not trust Ancient, which consists of key members who worked on SoR, to work on it?

I'd make a co-op Sword Art Online game and reboot the entire franchise using the Abridged Series script and voice cast. I've always wanted to play as asshole Kirito going through a buggy game world while dealing with idiotic players.
ee7db92a22d367c4aeacb9a0da06adbb.gif

TKM

Suikoden turn-based strategy game inspired by Master of Magic, Civilization, and other 4X titles. Develop cities, recruit Stars of Destiny, raise armies, and ally with other kingdoms. Some SoDs are hero units for battle, while others can be placed in settlements for various bonuses (+food production, +research, +morale, etc).

Asynchronous multiplayer could work across tablets, PC, PS4, Switch, maybe even phones.

Willenium

I'd bring MLB Power Pros back stateside and really focus on the RPG elements. Maybe get Camelot on board because they did so well with Mario Golf and Mario Tennis.

When the franchise went mobile-only in NA after 2008, I think I was the only one who was bummed out about it :(

Peltz

A full 2D Mario hand-drawn Mario platformer that looks like this and is built with the same graphical engine as Arc System Work's DBFz and Guilty Gear Xrd:

a08ef4c99a0360abc321fa7e5a835839--classic-video-mario-brothers.jpg

1c26d01b1ce44ce416163f017090e72a.png

d11e2b266c0d2f41adb79517922b91ac--mario-nintendo-super-nintendo.jpg

6a00d83452033569e201156f21348b970c-600wi

2471161-3385364084-Super.jpg

tumblr_n06hbkBF6m1rwax79o1_1280.jpg

gb_tribute__super_mario_land_by_marcshort-d5hhxf7.jpg

Super_Mario_Bros_3_Artwork.jpg

Super-mario-kart.jpg

atpbx

Destiny 3.

Procedural free roam planets with instanced stand alone missions and linked quest lines as well as random world events.

No RNG for weapons and armor, no random stats, more classes, able to fly your ship between planets and store a speeder in it to get around.

Proper RPG progression for your character, with YOU deciding how you build it and for what.

inFamous: Legacy

A new inFamous game that takes place 10 years after Second Son.

MC is a young black kid named Tre, living in Camden, NJ. A device similar to the Ray Sphere is activated in Philly, a year before the game starts. This device doesn't explode - it simply sends out a wave of energy that activates Conduit abilities and somehow bestows Conduits with the ability to understand and use their powers. On that day, Tre finds out that he's a technomancer - he can control electronic devices, and assimilate them into his body.

A year after that event, Philly has gotten goddamn weird. Costumed superheroes. Malevolent supervillians. Conduits everywhere.

Tre has spent the last year practicing his powers at an abandoned warehouse with his mentor, an older Indian guy named Elvis, a Conduit and long-time costumed superhero (perhaps the first) whose power is to throw anything he wants, from cars, to pockets of air.

Tre is a technomancer, with three subtypes to his powers: TOY, SMART, and INDUSTRIAL. TOY has him utilizing simple tech you'd find in toys, which he's assimilated into his body. I'm talkin' extendo-arms complete with gloves, wind-up tech that lets him charge a dash, slingshot arms that let him throw cars, etc. SMART has him manipulating smart devices in his environment, using his assimilated phone - summon drones to use as missiles or as personal flight devices, control cars to transport yourself or hit enemies, make people's phones/nearby PCs and TVs explode, etc. and INDUSTRIAL is pretty self-explanatory - melee-oriented industrial tools like jackhammers and steamrollers are assimilated and used like Tre's a Green Lantern.

Imagine an inFamous game that's pretty light in tone, with a villain/hero of the week style plot progression, and a massive, dangerous Conduit who keeps showing up at random to destroy parts of the city, including Tre's home. Your goal: Become a powerful enough hero/villain to assimilate the Battleship New Jersey, and take out that Conduit, as an act of heroism, or as an act of revenge.

And by the end, it's revealed that the device that activated Philly's conduits was engineered and put in place by a certain time traveler, who wanted to influence history by creating a new generation of heroes.

A full 2D Mario hand-drawn Mario platformer that looks like this and is built with the same graphical engine as Arc System Work's DBFz and Guilty Gear Xrd:

That's a little bit of a contradiction. I'd hire an animation studio to for the spritework. It would be a choice between Production I.G.(Wario Land: Shake It!, GitS), Kyoto Animation(Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Nichijou) and TMS Entertainment(Animaniacs, DuckTales, Lupin III).

dtcm83

I would choose Streets Of Rage. Bombergames (the team behind SOR Remake) would be a perfect fit for a Sonic Mania-style sequel.

Exactly what I came to post. This would be awesome, and maybe more of an actual possibility now that Sonic Mania is out and reviewing well (we'll see how sales do of course).

C4Ud6KQ.jpg

Some awesome ideas here! Without question I would buy the rights to Monkey Island and then immediately turn it over to Ron Gilbert. I would let him assemble whatever team he likes to create his true successor to Monkey Island 2 (but if I'm being selfish I'd like to be brought on as an Art Director! ; )

Monkey Island. I'd get Ron Gilbert to make his third game.

My man!

StarCraft Universe, a real time MMO (massive) FPS with Battlefront 2(the old one) like vehicles and you have to choose your race and can upgrade your stuff. There are multiple planets dominated by other races and players can regain control of these planets by raiding them in massive battle across the universe on land and space. The Protoss are controlled in third person and plays like a hack'n slash.

Would develop with EPIC + CillfyB and some of the Relic team (for their experience with Space Marine). Metzen would return JUST for the art direction, will keep him away from the dialogue and story.

Pookmunki

Sounds stupid but I would pitch for a Marvel vs Capcom MOBA.

The archetypes are already set (Grapplers/ Support, Projectile based/Carry, Nimble/ Assasin etc) would just need a map and shitloads of balancing.

Oh right, it's MvC.

Captain America solo, Spiderman in the jungle, Ryu and Haggar in safe lane and Doctor Strange in mid. I can but dream.

Top Bottom