• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

So here's a YouTube link showing the five Gemnyan QR codes.

Gemnyan's QR Codes Video

Credit to AbdallahSmash026 for sharing the codes. I've already scanned them and I'm working on befriending the yokai now. It's looking like it's going to take me a while haha!

Edit: Found a Twitter link that has posted the images in case you don't feel like watching a video lol

Gemnyan's QR Codes

Tomita

So I was playing the first Yo-Kai Watch and tried to do the weekly download thing, but it won't let me. I tried to search what the game said on Google and didn't find anything. The game says, "Unable to download. The data is not yet available." Can anyone explain what this means?

I had to restart my game recently because a small child deleted my save data... I hope this didn't goof up the Spotpass thing. ): I only downloaded the weekly offer once recently and instead of getting a buttload of Crank-Kai like I assumed I would, I only got 5 of each color or something. Bad enough the kid had to delete the save file I had since buying the game Day One that was 80% finished...

EDIT: With the SpotPass update today it now lets me download the gift. (I thought the SpotPass update was Thursdays) I still find it weird how I only got two coins but whatever. Guess I only get the new updates now, and not past ones.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
First dream medal(s) acquired. Hopefully in a year I can flip the unopened one.

UmJo3gK.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I wonder, if we eventually get Yo-kai Watch 3 in the West, would they change the title?
I looked up Ganso & Honke and understood why those were changed, but Sushi & Tempura could work. Sure tempura isn't as popular as sushi, but I imagine people will understand what they're going for.

JimPanzer

I wonder, if we eventually get Yo-kai Watch 3 in the West, would they change the title?
I looked up Ganso & Honke and understood why those were changed, but Sushi & Tempura could work. Sure tempura isn't as popular as sushi, but I imagine people will understand what they're going for.

I'm more interested to see how they handle the language barrier presented within the game, where american kids tell the protagonist something in english (and it's actually written in english, na katakana) and he doesn't understand what they are saying...

BatDan

I'm more interested to see how they handle the language barrier presented within the game, where american kids tell the protagonist something in english (and it's actually written in english, na katakana) and he doesn't understand what they are saying...

I thought "Maybe in the localization, he goes to Japan instead of America", but then I remembered Robonyan USA, as well as the bacon and burger Yo-kai.

Man, YW3 is going to need some insane rewrites.

Meffer

I thought "Maybe in the localization, he goes to Japan instead of America", but then I remembered Robonyan USA, as well as the bacon and burger Yo-kai.

Man, YW3 is going to need some insane rewrites.
Yeah it's going to be hard. Then again they never stated he wasn't in Japan in localized YW1.

Shoyz

Yeah it's going to be hard. Then again they never stated he wasn't in Japan in localized YW1.

Having the kids speak Spanish instead should fit then I'd think?

The reveal of the physical bundled medals in Yo-Kai Watch 2 confirms that the Yo-Motion medals are going to have the cut-outs on the top right. Presumably for the animations.
Does that mean the data is stored there on the medals somehow?

BatDan

I like to think of it as "United States of Jap-erica". They speak English, have Western names and use the dollar, but a lot of the food and culture is Japanese.

Makes more sense than "Eat your hamburgers Apollo"

Meffer

I like to think of it as "United States of Jap-erica". They speak English, have Western names and use the dollar, but a lot of the food and culture is Japanese.

Makes more sense than "Eat your hamburgers Apollo"
They live in the wonderful country of Localizia.

Impotaku

Having the kids speak Spanish instead should fit then I'd think?

The reveal of the physical bundled medals in Yo-Kai Watch 2 confirms that the Yo-Motion medals are going to have the cut-outs on the top right. Presumably for the animations.
Does that mean the data is stored there on the medals somehow?

I can tell you exactly how those yomotion medals will work, there will be no data stored on them. Each of those little black dots is a transparent film cell picture of a youkai each in a different pose, the watch will have 3 LEDs that will light up underneath in order and illuminate each pic in the window allowing it to be projected. By cycling through the 3 LEDs it will give the crude illusion of been animated. It's an old method that's been used on toys in the past.

As fun as it is to add something new it also goes against the game & anime as neither have any feature like that so they no longer look like they have just come out the games, Hasbro just doing the usual of making stuff how they like and not actually sticking to been accurate. The watch looks horrible now with that big lump of plastic obscuring a quarter of the watch surface.

On some more fun news Amazon have finally shipped my copies of sushi & tempura, on their way to the UK to be played to death. The wait for them is already agonizing lol

Impotaku

Caved in & bought the digital version of Tempura while i await for my physical copies to arrive, lol done this every single time. Caved in on ganso & honke as well back when they were released too lol.

Quite a big file at 22,000+ blocks will take a while to get off the eshop.

Impotaku

Finally started, man it's soooooooo good. The quality is off the charts, the same tiny attention to detail is everywhere, even the weeds growing out of the sidewalks are animated.

So far the story is pretty understandable at my current reading level, it seems to switch back & forth between Keita & Inaho as it introduces them in both into the obligatory tutorial.

Nothing else will be getting played for quite a while i can see.

Finally started, man it's soooooooo good. The quality is off the charts, the same tiny attention to detail is everywhere, even the weeds growing out of the sidewalks are animated.

So far the story is pretty understandable at my current reading level, it seems to switch back & forth between Keita & Inaho as it introduces them in both into the obligatory tutorial.

Nothing else will be getting played for quite a while i can see.
I'm soooo jealous.

I hope I can resist the urge to just spoil the whole game via youtube lol

Impotaku

Started chapter 2 of the story the game opens up a bit, chapter 1 is basically a small tutorial on some of the basics but the battle system hasn't fully been explained yet. Seems the save souls where you could switch out your team in the previous games now also allow you to select either Inaho or Keita's story at any time so if you get tired of exploring the USA you can goto Japan. Keita's story seems to revolve around the FBY investigating the UFO crash & Inaho's story is to help USApyon get his rocket.

If you have any versions of the second game or any of the buster games or the sangokushi game then you can link them. The game will check the data on your 3DS from them and unlock some new extra youkai in YW3.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

ubiblu

Currently on Chapter 2 of Sushi. Having the best time and loving the two concurrent playable characters / stories. The new battle system also adds better interactivity and complexity to fights. The new areas are really cool, but hoping they've kept all the old ones / train system. I put 150 hours into Ganso/Honke/Shinuchi so hoping to gets even more out of this bad boy!

A few things i'm not loving though:

- The roulette wheel on the Dream Machine is a bit lame, and makes me annoyed that only one circle gives you a decent prize; mostly crappy items and fewer youkai.
- The connectivity with Dream Medals (i have zero interest in owning these)
- The lack of little videos on quest completion? Why remove these??
- Youkai are still tough to befriend in the first few hours. A ranked curve would be better.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is the new battle system better than the one in 2? I never played YW1 and grabbed 2 when it was released. I liked the attention to detail, but youkai fights didn't feel engaging at all.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They switched the wheel with a 3x3 grid I believe.
I checked the official site which has a simple explanation of the new system - instead of spinning the wheel you move your youkai around the grid, so it's more "strategic", but I was curious to hear how it really feels like.

Impotaku

Depending on the medals position on the grid will affect the others if you have one at the front then you move a youkai behind it will provide a support barrier effect if you then place another behind the barrier becomes stronger, if you place them across linking then their attacks become stronger depending on the medal type they are connected to. Also you can move them anywhere on the grid you like, but each move comes with a cooldown time so the further you move them the longer they will take before they are ready to attack again.

Using your special attacks has a little icon which shows the area it will affect some only attack in a straight line others do the whole screen. Fought the first boss in the junkyard and you have to move your medals out the way when the boss does certain attacks, it's even more hands on than the previous wheel system. The battle system hasn't fully unlocked yet there are still some features that have to be explained by the game but so far it has a lot more strategy than the previous system.

On chapter 3 now where the Zombies will be introduced hehe, liking how each chapter for Keita is a case in the Y files. The stories of the characters are linked so every so often you'll have to go back & forth, treasure hunts are also back along with the mystery doors and quiz signposts.

Havent come into many problems recruiting then again i never really had a problem with it in the previous games like some.

ubiblu

So apparently two YW2 locations are in the game, but not accessible. I assume they are part of the big A / B / C updates planned?

Impotaku

Entirely possible, level 5 does great updates. Possible that more of the game will be added as the updates come.

Havent explored all of the old town so i have no idea yet which are blocked off. Not ridden the train all the way to igisaki to find out.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dream medals officially released, quite hard to find. Most packs were sold out and the gachas were almost empty. The gachas are pretty dumb though since they mix in dream medals with other medals. Saw the new roulette machine as well. Kids out the door for it already, but not sure if anyone will win without charged medals. I registered a few though so I can do the online roulette. Also entered the national contest for it from the tv show. We'll see if I can grab one. Pretty dumb considering the watch isnt out yet. The floor model was cool but in the end it's the same piece of shit plastic. Also the dream medals look cheap.

I'm an expert

I mean, I'm no yokai watch underground street date breaking expert, but the official release date is 7/30 per the website/amazon/the mall I was just at. So if there's places out there selling them, neat. What was msrp? I sure as fuck aint paying 50 for it.

kamakazi5

Is the yokai watch land app the best app for keeping track of what medals you have? I bought a few packs finally and really like them. I even found a gold one which is pretty cool looking. Do the ranks in the app mean anything?

Edit: Are they releasing other medals in the US or just the first wave?

BatDan

I just found that Whisper's dub voice was also the last Bozo the Clown. Such a weird career move.

Is the yokai watch land app the best app for keeping track of what medals you have? I bought a few packs finally and really like them. I even found a gold one which is pretty cool looking. Do the ranks in the app mean anything?

Edit: Are they releasing other medals in the US or just the first wave?

Yes. Series 2 Medals are out in stores, and people have been getting Series 3 in the right places.
I still need a lot more Series 1 myself...

ubiblu

Finally made it to Chapter 6 after about 25 hours. Loving the game, but the fetch quests and lack of mirrors is really starting to annoy me. Aside from a few cool new mini-games and locations, it really is just more of the same. The new battle system is a heap of fun though, and adds more interactivity. All of the new youkai and boss designs are incredible.

Will post again after I'm done. So far a 9/10; taking too long to get to the point and lack of warping kills momentum.

Impotaku

Finally made it to Chapter 6 after about 25 hours. Loving the game, but the fetch quests and lack of mirrors is really starting to annoy me. Aside from a few cool new mini-games and locations, it really is just more of the same. The new battle system is a heap of fun though, and adds more interactivity. All of the new youkai and boss designs are incredible.

Will post again after I'm done. So far a 9/10; taking too long to get to the point and lack of warping kills momentum.

You shouldn't be too far away from waking up the warp mirrors if you haven't done so already it should make travelling a bit easier, they set up a network in the USA so Keita can get around easy which is nice of them, one of my fave youkai. Hopefully Inaho will get the full network too, seems a bit weird at the moment that some parts are split between the stories. Like one gets the net and the other the fishing rod hoping that they eventually all get the same stuff. Same with the older game link items Keita got those but going to the post office as Inaho doesn't make them appear to her as well.

The game feels pretty big so far with switching back & forth it feels like you are playing 2 games at once, now at 25 hours and barely scratched the surface. Gotten some decent youkai recruited along with Mis Tery who i managed to get on my first battle at the farm.

Love how it all looks in 3D, least Level 5 make an effort unlike some other companies.

BatDan

It's been confirmed that Yo-kai Watch Busters is going to be called Yo-kai Watch Blasters in the West.

Thanks a lot Sony.

Yes I know, it's likely because Level 5 didn't want to get sued

Meffer

It's been confirmed that Yo-kai Watch Busters is going to be called Yo-kai Watch Blasters in the West.

Thanks a lot Sony.

Yes I know, it's likely because Level 5 didn't want to get sued

Are talking we talking about the spin off games or the extra game in YW2?

BatDan

Are talking we talking about the spin off games or the extra game in YW2?

The extra game in YW2
I imagine they changed it as a precaution in case they localize the spin-off game with all the Ghostbusters imagery.

ubiblu

Importaku, any idea how to get past the sandstorm post-game? I've watched several videos and read the same description on several sites, but can't fly through for some unknown reason.

Impotaku

Haven't completed it yet, i'm still going through the main story, only just at the bit where i have started activating the warp mirrors in Inaho's part of the story.

Impotaku

Oh man how i laughed at the fake YZap weightloss advert that is a parody of one that's in Japan for that belt that uses electricity to stimulate your muscles.

Love how they take the piss out of lots of stuff and a while new world of wordplay jokes for the youkai.

ubiblu

Haven't completed it yet, i'm still going through the main story, only just at the bit where i have started activating the warp mirrors in Inaho's part of the story.

All good. I just had to send Inaho to Keita's room :) There were no in-game prompts on exactly what to do (and it was 3AM when i finished so I was just skimming the dialogue).

For anyone who is interested:

Final game completion time including S Watch Rank: 49 hours
Yo-kai caught: 99 of 618
Subquests completed: 52 of 85
Bugs/Fish found: 19 of 208
Treasures found: 8 of 20
Yo-kai Spots found: 32 of 62
Trophies: 8 of 69

Really great game but the pacing left a lot to be desired. Lots of fetch quests, and obtaining warp mirrors later in the game was tough. The new locations are really cool but hopeful the updates will add back some old favourites like Kemamoto and Nagisaki.

Can't wait to put another 100 hours in!

JimPanzer

Can anyone explain to me how Story-Link works? I played Inahos story up to the part where story link got mentioned first and then switched to kêta and played his story up to the point where story link gets mentioned, but the two stories didn't "link" in any way. am I missing something or should I just keep going with one of the story lines?

Impotaku

Can anyone explain to me how Story-Link works? I played Inahos story up to the part where story link got mentioned first and then switched to kêta and played his story up to the point where story link gets mentioned, but the two stories didn't "link" in any way. am I missing something or should I just keep going with one of the story lines?

You can keep going on either story but eventually you'll either run out of quests to do or the games next quest onjective will tell you that you need to switch to the other story to continue. The story link works by sharing information between characters via the new app you get in your menu. If one character finds something impotant out it goes into the app for the other character to check out which will then unlock some important clue for them and usually a new quest to continue their side of the story.

JimPanzer

You can keep going on either story but eventually you'll either run out of quests to do or the games next quest onjective will tell you that you need to switch to the other story to continue. The story link works by sharing information between characters via the new app you get in your menu. If one character finds something impotant out it goes into the app for the other character to check out which will then unlock some important clue for them and usually a new quest to continue their side of the story.

Ahh I see, should have read the ingame explanation I guess :D

ubiblu

So...the Platinum Oni and Last Bushinyan passes that you are able to receive for Big Wins using Dream Coins are single use...<_< Which would be okay if you could reset before fighting daily bosses like the past two games...which you no longer can. Or if you could save before using the Gacha...which again, you no longer can.

Am I the only one who thinks this is complete bullshit? I was lucky enough to finally get one of the passes on the gacha, and the boss had no interest in being befriended. So if i burn through my last five dream coins and don't get both passes, I can never obtain them...

Impotaku

So...the Platinum Oni and Last Bushinyan passes that you are able to receive for Big Wins using Dream Coins are single use...<_< Which would be okay if you could reset before fighting daily bosses like the past two games...which you no longer can. Or if you could save before using the Gacha...which again, you no longer can.

Am I the only one who thinks this is complete bullshit? I was lucky enough to finally get one of the passes on the gacha, and the boss had no interest in being befriended. So if i burn through my last five dream coins and don't get both passes, I can never obtain them...

You can increase the odds of success if you use the youki no tsubu (they look like little purple souls) that you find scattered around the world in sparkling spots or in purple chests and use them to pay Mr Wonderho at the dream roulette for the friendship magic which greatly increases the chance of youkai been friends. You can also buy the magic to increase the odds of getting the big win on the dream roulette if you want to get more passes but i have to admit it's a harsh requirement.

Impotaku

Well 44 hours and the main story is finally done, well the first wave of it as the post game stuff is unlocking now. Loved the ending along with Steve Jaws's final presentation about how the game with evolve with future updates, random deep dungeons sound like fun and they are multiplayer ones too. Looks like that's the relacement to the busters multiplayer side game that was in number 2.

Even now i'm in post game there's still so much to do, suprised i have played for so long as it certainly hasn't felt like 44 hours. Some very useful items obtained from the zombie night, now i know where kaima powder is found. Can start evolving youkai in to kaima versions. Seems like all the youkai from the first 2 games are somewhere in 3, either as dream roulette prizes or just appearing as regular youkai in the enviroment, Ones like ittan gomen that were only available via special gasha coins.

The ones at the top of my want list are the 7 lucky god youkai but they are very hard to get. The playing card youkai are pretty cool too as once you have all 6 you can put them in your team and it activates a royal flush making them really strong. Well from what i can fathom out from online info.

Top Bottom