• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Cindro

I *just* watched episode 25.

Woof, that was a hot cup of coffee. Particularly disturbing how the
grim reaper organization's roulette wheel landed on a vibrant child full of great potential, so since her number came up she was marked for early death.
I wonder which writer created that scene as a coping mechanism? Heavy stuff.

I really like how this show doesn't shy away from the fact that Yo-Kai are all dead spirits.
Amy crying over Jibanyan's dead body
- good lord, man. I was not prepared!

This show continues to delight (not the newly added Netflix version though, I might add. For those unaware, steer clear of watching it that way!)

Flunkie

Banned
I *just* watched episode 25.

Woof, that was a hot cup of coffee. Particularly disturbing how the
grim reaper organization's roulette wheel landed on a vibrant child full of great potential, so since her number came up she was marked for early death.
I wonder which writer created that scene as a coping mechanism? Heavy stuff.

I really like how this show doesn't shy away from the fact that Yo-Kai are all dead spirits.
Amy crying over Jibanyan's dead body
- good lord, man. I was not prepared!

This show continues to delight (not the newly added Netflix version though, I might add. For those unaware, steer clear of watching it that way!)

They updated it with the Disney dub, so it's not awful anymore. Netflix is actually not the definitive way to watch imo.

I need to finish the first season too. I think I stopped watching at 11 or 12 as I wanted to finish the game first.

Tusk

Copy of YW Sangokushi came in today. Plan on starting it some point tonight before I sleep.

Plan to start collecting medals and stuff again once the incoming YW3 set is released this month

Looking forward to hearing your impression of it.

Anyways, checked my online team. It's this:
WVW69jFbMAItPYnFDf

I remember now. I did some rotation thing at the beginning to get my drum thing to buff one of my snakeys and then used the wall thing as a decoy while the snakey that was buffed did lots of damage and the ugly blue thing let the snakey attack again.

My plan is to eventually get off my ass and do an SR marathon for the Black Oni to replace one of the walls. I also need to get some souls for at least half this team.

Tusk

Got a little busy, so didn't get to post, and haven't played as much as I'd like to. So far I've played up to the point where you unlock the Gachamachine.

The game is pretty fun though. Some funny bits in the story. Getting to choose between Koma-san, Jibanyan, and USApyon is nice. I chose USApyon because I can get the S version of the others. I assume the start of the story changes depending on which of the 3 you choose.

I really dig the gameplay. Way more strategy based. People that don't like the style of gameplay the normal YW games have would probably like this one since you have much more control. You can choose each move you make, like possession, physical and special attack. Then there's the ultimate attacks which have some rhythm like button pressing to activate.

Also, like the other YW games, even if you didn't know the language, the menus are all easy to go through. Also, the Gachamachine and just about everything is done through the Youkai Pad menu.

This is just the few things I've seen so far.

Impotaku

After a break to stop myself totally burning out on medal collecting i'm back in. Finally all my promo medals from months back have turned up my friend is pretty slow at getting stuff sent off. The latest medal i won from the medaland site i did a test & tried my tenso address. It turned up this morning so i know i can just have them sent there instead which is a lot more convenient.

Waaaay behind on medal series now there's at least 3 series i have yet to get along with far too many side series.

But least im nearly 100% complete still on the medaland website ones :) Just need that bushinyan Z medal i missed on then i have all legendaries from there.

IMG_1362%20res.jpg

Starting at top left, summer watch design contest promo medal. Fugly Mcdonalds happy meal promo lol, ichigonyan xmas cake medal & the captain thunder promo from level 5 for registering both my game codes in the boxes.

IMG_1363%20res.jpg

Wismallow man & Bushinyan song medal from the medaland lottery.

IMG_1364%20res.jpg

Crazy goku band from the medaland lottery.

Tusk

I completely forgot there was a Sangokushi series of medals out, think I'm gonna start off by getting that full set and go from there.

Cool that you got the Crazy Goku Band medal. really dig that song medal and hope I can find one for myself.

Impotaku

The last medal i won (Taronyan trio) that has just arrived at my tenso address wasn't so easy to win, it took well over 40 tries till i eventually got a winning screen. Took a huge chunk of my medal points to get it.

Thankfully there's no more campaigns running at the moment so i have time to try and build up my medal points with more boxes of medals to fill in my collection cap again.

Current team:
WVW69jGt6-8E-wU4VR

How it works:

Walldin@Provocation Soul Tank. Gets healed by Lower-Left Ame-Onna's Mother Aura Soul. Soul makes all single-target attacks hit him.

Hitomakasejin@[Evolution of Mermaid] Soul His ability has his neighbor, in this case almost always Slimamander, take a turn in his place (when he has two neighbors the one on his right is always chosen). His soul boosts his neighbor's stats.

Slimamander@Waterfall Soul His ability makes his spirit art turn into Waterfall. This lets it get boosted by my three Ame-Onna's ability. His ability makes his spirit art hit the entire opposing team at once. lolololololololol

3x Ame-Onna Souls are, left to right: Mother Aura Soul, Sparta Soul, and [Evolution of Mermaid] Soul. Mother Aura Soul heals the lower-left Ame-Onna's neighbors, the main target being Walldin. The Sparta Soul makes it so no Yo-Kai on the field loafs about, which is usually very good for this team. The last soul just boosts that Ame-Onna's neighbor's stats, the main target here being Slimamander.

The reason for 3 Ame-Onna is simply because their ability boosts the damage of water moves. So by putting 3 of them in the back I can make Slimamander 2HKO a fuckton of things, often KOing half a team at once. I still properly trained the Ame-Onna though just in case things don't go as planned.

It's a very fun team so far and I bodied a few kids 6-0 just now. Once I get to the higher ranks (only 500-something right now) I'll probably have to make a real team, though. But I really like this one ATM and intend to do some grinding this weekend.

Tusk

Yoooo. I just saw the boxarts. I'm gonna buy both for sure. Will of course play the one with the Koma Inu first.

I dig the new frame for the medals that come with the games.

I like the medals too. Not the download excusives though (can't link here 'cuz scans, but they're Jibanyan with a sushi on his head and Komasan with a Tempura head...).

Tusk

The only ones I really like in Tempura are the shark, succubus, and the little guy at the bottom.

Sushi has the best exclusives there, and I planned on getting it the instant I saw the KK brothers. :b

Impotaku

Looks like the new dream watch has quite a lot of modes in it compared to the ones that have come before. Also interestingly the roulette medals have NFC chip reader writer capability so theres going to be something that you can save data onto. Not sure if it will be the arcade games that use it or it will be used by the 3DS as well.

Meffer

By the way, YW2 has been announced to release this September 15th in English! I love the version names: Bony Flesh and Fleshy Spirits.
EDIT: Oops, it's the 30th not the 15th.

Koppai

After a break to stop myself totally burning out on medal collecting i'm back in. Finally all my promo medals from months back have turned up my friend is pretty slow at getting stuff sent off. The latest medal i won from the medaland site i did a test & tried my tenso address. It turned up this morning so i know i can just have them sent there instead which is a lot more convenient.

Waaaay behind on medal series now there's at least 3 series i have yet to get along with far too many side series.

But least im nearly 100% complete still on the medaland website ones :) Just need that bushinyan Z medal i missed on then i have all legendaries from there.

IMG_1362%20res.jpg

Starting at top left, summer watch design contest promo medal. Fugly Mcdonalds happy meal promo lol, ichigonyan xmas cake medal & the captain thunder promo from level 5 for registering both my game codes in the boxes.

IMG_1363%20res.jpg

Wismallow man & Bushinyan song medal from the medaland lottery.

IMG_1364%20res.jpg

Crazy goku band from the medaland lottery.

That shit is so pretty. But I'm not gonna get into that stuff...might pick up some figures/plushies eventually. (Those Hasbro figures and plushes look like garbage though...)

Shoyz

In the US, Slush is an exclusive promo medal at GameStop this week free with any $10+ purchase of Yo-Kai Watch merch.

I would have expected to see him for $10 second-hand, but he's currently selling for $40+ on eBay right now. So grab one from GS while you can.

It also marks the second point in which the Hasbro medals swaps the rarity of a common Japanese medal: The first being the original art Jibanyan which was relegated to being a Medal Moments promo, but Slush being a limited exclusive is especially strange. He's part of the basic set!

Impotaku

Playing every day for 2 weeks has finally paid off. I only had one of the medals needed to take part in the lottery campaign so i could only get one spin a day instead of the max 10 spins.

Tonight it was atari time wash those hasure blues away, first time i have won on the new updated roulette system
winner%20again%20lol3%20res.jpg

Medaland newest campaign medal GET!

Koppai

Okay, so the figure I bought ended up being a model kit figure. Ofcourse the instructions are in Japanese, anyone have any luck finding a guide to put it together in English? :/

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-qE4jP_aM

I found a Youtube video to help me, guess I will try it tomorrow and if I like the quality I will probably purchase the others :eek:

Impotaku

Don't worry about assembly thery are very easy to put together, the instructions are in Japanese but the parts are clearly marked so you can follow the pictures. For cheap plamo kits they are suprisingly decent quality however they will look nowhere near as nice if you use the stickers for the details. For best results they need to be painted, but if you take time with the stickers and rub them down well they can look ok.

This is what Jibanyan looks like when you take time & paint in the details instead of using the stickers..
SAM_0967.JPG

SAM_0969.JPG

SAM_0972.JPG

Impotaku

Been browsing Level 5s site, they finally gave out some info about what the new dream medals do. Seems they indeed do have NFC chips in them so they will be read like amiibo on the n3DS, they are able to be upgraded by using them which in turn increases the chances of them making the winning slot on the roulette wheel bigger so there's more chance of landing on it.

That medal gun with the watch slot is so going to be made into a toy it just screams merchandise, have a feeling the new dream watch will disconnect from it's strap like the u prototype watch does meaning you can slot it into the gun. The dream medals do have one setback though & that's the cost. You will only get one in a pack as that NFC chip in it will make them a lot more expensive to produce so there won't be 2 like before. Seems the series that comes after it will be back to 2 medals as i think there's no dream medals in that set.

Man, next month can't come soon enough. Can't believe it's getting so close to release i thought the day would never come.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I said I was done with this thread/medals after my sour experience a few months ago, but now that we're back in Japan and we missed US season 2, I spent the last few weeks helping my son begin his J-collection. Zero plans to be complete or anything, he doesn't even care.. this is some how where we're at.. just a note that some of these we happened upon randomly, some I sat at an arcade machine pushing a button a million times, and some are from chatting up a bunch of lonely housewives who are sent by their kids to play these games and are easily charmed by the ikemen gaijin. (not pictured the hundreds of other medals including dozens of s ranks from gacha all over the country). Slowly getting into how the j-scene works but it sucks being years behind.

If anyone has an extra US elder bloom from s2 btw, I'm willing to send an US s1 Shogunyan. You can send it to an American address too, no worries about sending it to Japan. fair warning though, after last time..I'll wait for yours to arrive before I send mine..Let me know!

Impotaku

Nice, you have some of the newer onikitchi medals too :). Seeing as you are now in Japan you should consider registering an account with the medaland website as you can play they arcade game on the web browser with the codes you scan into your account. You'll also be able to go for the campaign medals too, seeing as joining is free it's worth the time all you'll need is medals to scan to get points for your account.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
yeah those two are that dumb game.. it's a weird thing. i randomly fell into that part of the medal sub culture but dont know much about the rest yet. i only just upgraded our watch to v5 the other day cause of course they have a list of like only 10 sd cards that work. i havent really explored any apps or sites yet. i can see that in the used market being registered or not is a big thing, but coming from only the US stuff, not sure what they're referring to yet. same thing with what youre referencing, just havent had the time yet to get into it all. my son is thankfully young enough to only care about what's in front of him and slapping them in his watch. but ill sit down one of these nights and read up, see if i can get him some cute gifts.

Impotaku

The registering medals thing with them mentioning it on the used marked is referring to the medaland website. Each medal can only be registered once on a medaland website account. It acts as a digital binder and adds the medal into your collection, however it doesn't affect it's ability in the games & the arcade you can still scan used medals in as much as you want just not on the website,

Unregistered medals tend to sell for more on the used market as people usually want to add them to their online binder.

I'm an expert

what i figured, just didnt know there was a central site like medaland. the onikichi game had the same one time scanned restriction which was ultra frustrating in the beginning. all the arcades are now apparently out of stock so some how we got lucky we came right before the end and even won 2. ill check out medaland tonight. thanks!

Top Bottom