• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
With all the 3 ads around i thought about maybe picking it up to play with my kid..but for fucks sake all the versions and exclusives..this isnt really a pokemon style game so i dont know why they build it like that.

What one should I choose? Komasan is my fave but I think Buchinyan would be a better choice.
Whichever. You have 3 save files so when you're willing to play through the first hour or two of the game a couple times you can get them and then have someone from, like, NeoGAF help you trade them over to your main save file.

So just pick whichever one you want at the time.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait theres yokai trading..? Seriously? Also japanese legendaries at the usual shops are expensive as fuckkkk.. I wonder how much an american bushinyan will be in a year considered a j one is 200

Meffer

Wait theres yokai trading..? Seriously? Also japanese legendaries at the usual shops are expensive as fuckkkk.. I wonder how much an american bushinyan will be in a year considered a j one is 200

Yeah 1 didn't have trading or multiplayer fighting. But 2 has both for online and local.

Meffer

With all the 3 ads around i thought about maybe picking it up to play with my kid..but for fucks sake all the versions and exclusives..this isnt really a pokemon style game so i dont know why they build it like that.

Well you can trade and and fight with other people so having multiple versions makes sense.

The Japanese one was very limited through a campaign. I think there are only like 10K or some shit.

The American one has the same odds as every other rare.

So it'll probably end up being significantly cheaper, though still cost a bit because it's Bushinyan.

I'm an expert

I might grab my kid a dandoodle which is only like 50 bucks but dropping 200 on a small shitty plastic medal..hm. Maybe for xmas. Im waiting on some next new release to be on the same page as everyone. Weve exhaustrd every old and new gacha and bought out all the local stores of like their old generation medal packs

Tusk

Wait, does the game really only let you pick one of them?

That's weird because I was able to get all 3 from one file.

Impotaku

It's down to how limited a release it got, where as the new legends get released in large quantities from 20,000 to 70,000 the first legend bushinyan was only given 5000 medals so there are not many out there at all. The American one won't raise in value the same way as it's not rare at all it was a standard release in medal packs and had the same odds of getting as all the other medals, there are plenty to go around.

3c17f96811.jpg

Wait, does the game really only let you pick one of them?

That's weird because I was able to get all 3 from one file.

If you got one of them before the first update then updated your game then the guy who gives you the selection coin would be there again to give you another.

Impotaku

New part has gone up on the site about the S ranks youkai for each family, looks like potentially 2 of them may be locked away from importers as you need to be in Japan to get them so people are going to have to trade for them. Not sure if charging the dream medals is the only way to get them or they will drop eventually from using regular coins like the previous games.

Seems the medals with the YC (NFC) chip can be powered up in 5 ways.

Water gets powered up by using with sushi version of the game
Lightning with tenpura version
Fire with using the dream watch
Wind is currently a secret at the moment
Rock is powered up by using the gashapon arcade machine

The dream watch in the game has several functions now which they call dream link, the gun was already shown but now you can link it to make a drill for breaking through areas and also the youkai cleaner which looks like a roomba which you can set off exploring around town for you.

Tusk

New part has gone up on the site about the S ranks youkai for each family, looks like potentially 2 of them may be locked away from importers as you need to be in Japan to get them so people are going to have to trade for them. Not sure if charging the dream medals is the only way to get them or they will drop eventually from using regular coins like the previous games.

Seems the medals with the YC (NFC) chip can be powered up in 5 ways.

Water gets powered up by using with sushi version of the game
Lightning with tenpura version
Fire with using the dream watch
Wind is currently a secret at the moment
Rock is powered up by using the gashapon arcade machine

The dream watch in the game has several functions now which they call dream link, the gun was already shown but now you can link it to make a drill for breaking through areas and also the youkai cleaner which looks like a roomba which you can set off exploring around town for you.

I really like all the stuff they are doing with this dream stuff.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Season 2 of the English Dub will premiere August 1st.
Hopefully not using the awful American theme.

Also learned that Season 2 will run to Episode 76. Covering the entire Japanese "Season 1". Meaning Season 3 will begin with Usapyon and YW3 stuff.

Tusk

So, the recent corocoro came with a "game box" for YW3 sorta like the one for the big busters update. That box also has a card with a code in it just like the busters one too.

Was wondering if anyone got the corocoro and have the code? Or seen a video or site that has it? If it's like the busters one then every card has the same code

Impotaku

Hoping that once a medal is fully charged that it stays that way after you use it and doesnt become a one use thing before you have to recharge again. If that is the case then i know sellers will be selling fully charged medals on the amazon marketplace at some point, meaning that 2 of the elements will be available for importing poeple.

Seems for the 3rd film there is also a code card available that gives you a 100% chance at getting a specific youkai on it. The image is tiny in the trailer so i can't figure out which one it is.

With the dream watch not far from release i'm getting my merchandise collection sorted out. Planning on getting a stand to display all the youkai watches in my display cabinet, just need to find something suitable for Fumi's pendant watch to stand on.

Shoyz

Hasbro announced an exclusive bundle to SDCC (and limited online sales) next month, includes a Dianyan variant Mood figure and the five jewelnyan medals for $30.

If a 1/5000 Bushinyan goes for $200, and the free promo NYCC Jibanyan goes for ~$50, I wonder where this bundle will end up? Strangely, the ones they've shown off haven't been holo.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hasbro announced an exclusive bundle to SDCC (and limited online sales) next month, includes a Dianyan variant Mood figure and the five jewelnyan medals for $30.

If a 1/5000 Bushinyan goes for $200, and the free promo NYCC Jibanyan goes for ~$50, I wonder where this bundle will end up? Strangely, the ones they've shown off haven't been holo.

Woof that is rough. Hopefully I can get one off the site.

Shoyz

Woof that is rough. Hopefully I can get one off the site.

Here's hoping. I'd recommend making your account now in advance so all your shipping details are set up.

I'd also recommend keeping an eye out on the current promotions going on, just shortly before they go up. Currently they have a free shipping offer for anything over $25+ which would be perfect, but the expiration is apparently just beforehand. Then there's free shipping on $50+ without code but can't be stacked with coupons. And lastly a 20% off code that doesn't give free shipping, but the discount on it can match/exceed the shipping costs.

For example, on a $70 medal box the discount is $14 with $6 shipping, knocking the price down to $62 shipped. The shipping costs for two converting Jibanyan is $7, but the coupon drops it by $6, making it $1 shipping, a savings of $6.

Mind you, they say these offers don't stack with hasbro store exclusives in their terms so worst-case, it might end up costing a very steep $37 shipped for a set. At least relative to the Jibanyan/Komasan Mood figures which have been clearanced down to $3 each, would make the medals effectively ~$7 each. But cheap relative to the upcoming eBay prices.

Impotaku

Least it makes them sort of easy to get all 5, bit shit if they are not actually holo medals though. The whole thing of jewelnyans appearance is they are super sparkly & reflective. The medals all were meant to represent that, still selling them as a set is a lot better.

In Japan you had to go through a lot more to get them.

Diyanyan you had to either buy the deluxe watch & binder set or goto the world hobby fair & try and get hold of one there.

Rubynyan was in the YW marugoto tomodachi fanbook

Emerunyan was in a limited edition issue of the manga

Topanyan & Sapphirenyan were both campaign medals in the first series of medal booster packs.

Shoyz

You can grab a box of Hasbro Series 1 Medals for as little as $46 shipped right now; on sale for $50 with the $10 off promo code 'Hot20'.

Looks like being stuck waiting for the Series 2/3 medals will be fine after all. But we're getting uncomfortably close to Season 2, with the far more alluring projector watch.

I'm an expert

Found a spot in akihabs with insanely cheap used medals..grabbed a shurakoma and a bunch of random sranks..rares..whatever the f the shiny ones are. Also signed up for medaland japan doing the dumb spin for the song medal every day. And my kid makes me play the god damn mikuji game. What has my life become.

Impotaku

Finally got all my watches into my cabinet, just one space left for the dream watch when it comes out next month. Not decided weither to go for the DX youkaipad but there's a space for it if i do.
557728889b.jpg

Found a spot in akihabs with insanely cheap used medals..grabbed a shurakoma and a bunch of random sranks..rares..whatever the f the shiny ones are. Also signed up for medaland japan doing the dumb spin for the song medal every day. And my kid makes me play the god damn mikuji game. What has my life become.
The life of an expert of course. :)

I'm an expert

so uh... i won the campaign medal roulette while drunk spinning..

It's fucking awesome that Mulder and Scully are in the game. I've been watching the X-Files since March this year (reached Season 9 by now) and I just love the series. Definitely going to pick up the game when it comes out in the west. Battle system also looks better in this one compared to the previous games.

Impotaku

Oh wow, looking into it. There's a few different kinds of these.

Is it possible for me to find and buy one still? These are amazing.

They have been giving them away in contests for quite a few years now, if i remember correctly there are 5 kinds they have given away so far. The version i have was from the newest contest they did a few years back, some of the older ones dont move about but they still transform & speak.

6957904c7bb73245d0414999f86053c2.jpg

cup_o_noodle_robot_1.jpg

cup-noodle-robot-timer-1.jpg

If you search on ebay using cup noodle robot there are a couple on the from the older contests. The only other place you can find them is yahoo auctions but sadly they go for quite a lot of money. Still looking for the one they released for the 40th anniversary as that one is cool, i would love to own it. There's a lot of cup noodle merchandise i'd love to own, when i eventually get to visit Japan the noodle museum is on my list of places to visit.

Hehe anyway enough off topic from me, back to the YW3 countdown. Only a few weeks left to wait YAYY

JimPanzer

sooo pumped for Youkai Watch 3! I feel like my japanese is finally at a point where I can enjoy the game without using jisho constantly. Definitely wasn't the case when I started Youkai Watch 2, but I just played it for a bit and had no problem translating.

Do we know if there are any improvements for owners of the *new* 3ds over the normal 3ds?

Meffer

sooo pumped for Youkai Watch 3! I feel like my japanese is finally at a point where I can enjoy the game without using jisho constantly. Definitely wasn't the case when I started Youkai Watch 2, but I just played it for a bit and had no problem translating.

Do we know if there are any improvements for owners of the *new* 3ds over the normal 3ds?
Not that I know of unless 3 has Amiibo functionality.

Impotaku

The roulette series of medals have Y chips in them so they have NFC ability so they use the built in reader of the N3DS,

Looking forward to 3.

Will have to wait a bit because Brexit indirectly fucked up the exchange rate, but I'm looking forward to it. Pls provide coverage guys thx

Impotaku

Yeah the yen rate is brutal now, my medal collecting will have to stop till it improves. The games will keep me going till i can resume. Hopefully i don't miss any one time medals that get released while i hold off buying. Sucks that the yen has gotten so strong.

Yeah the yen rate is brutal now, my medal collecting will have to stop till it improves. The games will keep me going till i can resume. Hopefully i don't miss any one time medals that get released while i hold off buying. Sucks that the yen has gotten so strong.
Yes, and I would imagine it's even worse for peeps in the UK (like you maybe?) because both the yen has increased in strength *and* the pound weakened severely.

But yeah I'll... I'll wait... I'll wait like a good boy........ ;(

Impotaku

Yes, and I would imagine it's even worse for peeps in the UK (like you maybe?) because both the yen has increased in strength *and* the pound weakened severely.

But yeah I'll... I'll wait... I'll wait like a good boy........ ;(

Yeah i'm the worst currency combination GBP to YEN is so bad, will severely limit what i buy from Japan until it improves. Was going to get the last series box of animal crossing amiibo cards they used to be £80 before everything went to shit now if i want them they will cost £120 err not going to happen at that price.

I already have the medals due to the Japanese versions and I don't care too much about the English ones - I just buy them once in a blue moon for the lulz - so digital it is.

Top Bottom