• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite/greatest bullshots in gaming history

ly10FAB.png
Rotfl

rob305

image_300143_fit_940.jpg

Amped. So much drama back then. After all the pressure Microsoft actually came out with a statement admitting that the screenshots were tampered with.

DOWN

Banned
Nothing will ever top that infamous Killzone 2 trailer.

There was a pretty good IGN article about how most of Sony's game examples from their E3 debut of PS3 were significantly downgraded. Motorstorm and Killzone 2 most notably were far past their final versions.

velociraptor

I remember reading the UK Official Playstation Magazine and it had a picture of Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 and the projected graphics in 2020 or something. Anyone aware of what I'm referring to? Perhaps there is a picture online.

danwarb

Supersampled but otherwise representative images are much lower than CGI and otherwise completely different looking products on the bullshotometer.

What's the story behind the amped bullshot?

A) The guy is obviously Photoshopped into the picture, look at his outline. That would be... fine-ish, he's ingame assets, but...

B) He has a hilariously obvious stock Photoshop lens flare on his goggles.

DOWN

Banned
A thread dominated by Ubisoft and Sony.

Sony messed up big with PS3 and people caught it, so those debut shots from that E3 are a given, but Ubisoft has the longest ongoing record. Watch Dogs is their newest controversy.

And I think the games are often great, too. Shame they go so over-the-top with their images.

zewone

Ubisoft is the biggest offender, by far. As you can see from the ACIII, Watch Dogs, and The Division shots above.

They amp the lighting, eliminate evidence of pixels, remove collisions, fake the HUDs or remove them, add blood and particle effects, and many more unlikely setups.

Did they even play AC before they suggested it looks like these?

This is what the game looks like, but these shots are using dynamic cameras and post processing lighting, but for the most part, this is fair representation of the graphics.

Arthea

Xenoblade mostly. I was literally shocked when I finally started to play it. I think I haven't seen single real screenshot of it, only bullshots and concept art presented as screenshots.
Amazing really!

Shogun1337

ITT: People that don't get what OP meant by "bullshots".

Gears of War actually does look that good. It's still damn gorgeous, I love the gothic style.

Shogun1337

Crysis2-1.jpg

Okay, technically not really a bullshot. But the amount of discussions it sparked on some forums was hilarious.
Watch the cutscenes ;) They're real time and they're exactly like that.

LOLLL is that supposed to be Crysis 1? I think we found a winner

Griss

Crysis2-1.jpg

Okay, technically not really a bullshot. But the amount of discussions it sparked on some forums was hilarious.
Watch the cutscenes ;) They're real time and they're exactly like that.

What was this? Looks like a photo with a HUD. Did some people actually argue it could be real? What game was it supposedly from?

Griss

Hello, i come from the future.

news_photo_33719_1381028776.jpg

Clever post, but I expect them to fully dodge any such issues by using some visual style like cell-shading or 'impressionism' that will allow them to claim that comparisons are useless. Which they pretty much will be.

Tzeentch

What was this? Looks like a photo with a HUD. Did some people actually argue it could be real? What game was it supposedly from?
It's a photo with the Crysis 1 HUD. Ugh, now people will start arguing that it looks perfectly plausible to be in-game again.

Top Bottom