• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite/greatest bullshots in gaming history

dosh

Ubisoft is the biggest offender, by far. As you can see from the ACIII, Watch Dogs, and The Division shots above.

They amp the lighting, eliminate evidence of pixels, remove collisions, fake the HUDs or remove them, add blood and particle effects, and many more unlikely setups.

At some point, a friend of mine was working on the team responsible for all Ubi Montreal's bullshtos. I found it fascinating that there was an actual team entirely devoted to this.

Syf

Banned
0000009066.1920x1080.jpg

0000009037.1920x1080.jpg
These are both pretty accurate. I'd say the final product ended up looking even better on a good PC.

Caayn

A) The guy is obviously Photoshopped into the picture, look at his outline. That would be... fine-ish, he's ingame assets, but...

B) He has a hilariously obvious stock Photoshop lens flare on his goggles.
They literally amped it up.
pun stolen from dankir
LOLLL is that supposed to be Crysis 1? I think we found a winner
What was this? Looks like a photo with a HUD. Did some people actually argue it could be real? What game was it supposedly from?
Supposed to be Crysis 1. Someone slapped the Crysis hud on a photo and went around claiming it was actual gameplay, there were enough that believed it and use it to defend Crysis.

Xenoblade mostly. I was literally shocked when I finally started to play it. I think I haven't seen single real screenshot of it, only bullshots and concept art presented as screenshots.
Amazing really!

Can you post an example? I don't recall any bullshots for Xenoblade. Even the reveal trailer looks pretty much the same.

aeolist

Banned
soooo based on nothing you can claim that a tech demo which very likely will not resemble any final zelda games and looks totally feasible is a bullshot?

ok

DOWN

Banned

As others have said, Halo 4 actually handled itself pretty well. The cutscenes were pre-rendered and the biggest change over Reach that 343 made was adding lighting effects. I'd say Halo 3 is a more likely offender for the bullshot category.

Because this first trailer and the shots they released with it that were "in game" were nowhere near what that engine ended up looking like, and this was long after the system launch so they likely knew better.

halo3-2-lg.jpg

Makai

I really thing there is nothing the WiiU cannot do in that shot.. What will disappointed people will be when we see big open environments
If they achieve comparable lighting at 720p30fps, I will be very satisfied! I won't be upset when they switch the art style to cubism or whatever.

Dicer

Banned
Red Steel shots targeted a higher spec system, before the 2 cubes taped together....
final product is a mess but does shine in a few locations...

You can't really call the ZeldaU demo bullshotty, it's a tech demo..nothing more nothing less.

DesertFox

As others have said, Halo 4 actually handled itself pretty well. The cutscenes were pre-rendered and the biggest change over Reach that 343 made was adding lighting effects. I'd say Halo 3 is a more likely offender for the bullshot category.

Because this first trailer and the shots they released with it that were "in game" were nowhere near what that engine ended up looking like, and this was long after the system launch so they likely knew better.

halo3-2-lg.jpg
Agreed, Halo 4 looks as advertised, but this Halo 3 E3 demo still stings.

I believe that we still haven't gotten a master chief with real time reflections on his visor. Maybe Halo 5...

only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is FFXIII

yKgWwxq.jpg

Bullshot. (notice the more advanced lighting, as well as the detail in the hair and clothing)

eOUMz10.jpg

Final.

However this might qualify more as a development downgrade (ala Dark Souls 2)...?

DOWN

Banned
for all the shit sony got in his day i still find surprised no one called microsoft on things like this

As mentioned on the previous page in this topic, that's not far off from what that series looked like, outside the arrangement of the characters in the shot.

This one from the first page is a stretch though:

gears-of-war-2-screenshot-611.jpg

It's just too high res, but also, Gears of War 2 was far less clear than that.

FryHole

Can you post an example? I don't recall any bullshots for Xenoblade. Even the reveal trailer looks pretty much the same.

I'd be interested to see these, too, Nintendo's normally pretty good when it comes to honest screenshots. There are a lot of Dolphin screens floating about, mind.

i remember some serious BS shots about the Ultra64

The reveal screens suggesting what the machine would be capable of really were on another level compared to what we got, weren't they?

That's not too bad, they improved the models IMO especially marcus, there was lack of awesome dynamic light in the final game but it turned out well IMO especially on the PC port.

All the pictures had the locust swarming marcus in ways they never do in the game.

I'd be more interested in seeing bullshots that show gameplay elements that don't exist in the final product.

okayfrog

Banned
Hello, i come from the future.

news_photo_33719_1381028776.jpg

If that's a bullshot, then Nintendo's Spaceworld 2000 Zelda video was a bullshot. That Zelda for Wii U thing wasn't an actual video of the next Zelda game, but rather what it could be. Big difference from this whole Watch_Dogs thing.

Toddimus Prime

Neo Member
In august 1994 I was only 14 and I was sincerely persuaded we were going to have this sort of thing on Ultra 64:

There was a strange separation from the Ultra 64 and the Nintendo 64 with regards games like Killer Instinct. Given the delays, it all got swept under the carpet and it was mostly forgotten about on launch wasn't it? At least, that's how I saw it. Mario 64 did a good job of taking the mind off I suppose.

Still, that Chief Thunder still brings back painful memories of getting quite impatient with Nintendo...

Noogy

Wooow that is some super sneaky shit.

Yeah, I remember a ton of games from that era doing the same thing. I feel like I had a pretty good idea of when I was looking at arcade screenshots on an NES box though... you just sort of accepted it wasn't going to look anything like that.

Phades

So, is this game coming out sometime in the 2030s from nintendo and it has direct nerual input control which also stimulates the corrosponding muscule groups with each command input landing the title firmly in their health and fitness pillar?

I feel bad for anyone who bought this as in game footage.

Shin-Ra

Halo 2 Announcement

iScoYQHWHNuoQ.png
i0qtjeDjRvXwb.png

iUiC04cSs1Vtt.png
iuXPTn50XE9pw.png

ii7JNI1YrB3yM.png
iPfLTAuRuwbQv.png

iUlEU2I3xMGkC.png

Halo 2 Earth City ('gameplay' debut)

ibic0jxtBEwceV.png
iR4R0EdRvOwP8.png

ibdZc9ChPQjqNn.png
is2VRjIVlI4HE.png

iPvuKWXlXUvdK.png
ib0n1ibHN4nTWr.png

God of War III doesn't look so different. Better and worse at its peak.

1080p is so cool

star-ocean-4-ss-03qzsu3.jpg
Nice MSAA too.

ITT: People that don't get what OP meant by "bullshots".

Gears of War actually does look that good. It's still damn gorgeous, I love the gothic style.
Gears shots were not only supersampled but used higher res assets too.

Spazznid

As a part of the High-res Image Thread, and the PC Bullshot Thread, I'd love to point out some of these as not being bullshots, depending on what the term actually means to the general public. If it's the actual game, but at ridiculously high settings and resolution, I wouldn't call it a bullshot any more than I would one of my own screenshots. If it's not using game assets, lighting, or even post FX, then I agree it's a bullshot.

aeolist

Banned
As a part of the High-res Image Thread, and the PC Bullshot Thread, I'd love to point out some of these as not being bullshots, depending on what the term actually means to the general public. If it's the actual game, but at ridiculously high settings and resolution, I wouldn't call it a bullshot any more than I would one of my own screenshots. If it's not using game assets, lighting, or even post FX, then I agree it's a bullshot.

i would define console games with perfect IQ as bullshots

zewone

only one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet is FFXIII

yKgWwxq.jpg

Bullshot. (notice the more advanced lighting, as well as the detail in the hair and clothing)

eOUMz10.jpg

Final.

However this might qualify more as a development downgrade (ala Dark Souls 2)...?

I think they had problems with the initial engine, and it had to be reworked so it could be used on multiple platforms.

Top Bottom