• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite non-retro Mario Kart 8 [Deluxe] tracks?

Veldin

Sunshine Airport
Super Bell Subway
Hyrule Circuit
Mount Wario

Especially Airport because the music is so smooth.

ckfy63a

Frankly, the Nitro tracks in MK8 are so streamlined and great that I have trouble imagining how a future Mario Kart on the NS could even improve those tracks. The Wii retro tracks included in Mario Kart 7 could almost be considered a graphical downgrade if not for the 3D effect, although the flying and underwater mechanics were a nice addition. But in a post-NS Mario Kart, I'd love to see Mount Wario, Dragon Driftway, Sunshine Airport, and Electrodome return.

Tapejara

Mount Wario - as Waddle Dee said above I just love how the track escalates. It takes full advantage of being a non-loop track, and it looks great too!

Excitebike Arena - I love all of the jumps in this one. It's so much fun chaining jumps together and just keeping momentum going.

Ice Ice Outpost - The dual tracks are really fun to navigate, and there are plenty of tricky shortcuts that I still have trouble nailing down.

Honorable mentions:

• Big Blue
  • Electrodome
  • ShyGuy Falls
  • Thwomp Ruins
  • Toad Harbour
  • Water Park

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ribbon Road and Cheese Land might as well be considered non-retro tracks with the way they completely transformed them. They are the new gold standard for track revivals.

As for the new tracks, Sunshine Airport wold probably be considered a favourite if push comes to shove. Honestly, I like almost all the tracks apart from Dolphin Shoals.

Berordn

Cloudtop Cruise does everything it's set out to do so damn well. I love that track.

Mount Wario's a pretty close second though, particularly for melding just about every Icy Mountain trope into one fine level.

Piers

Excitebike Arena is everything that Baby Park tries to be (but fails because the entire purpose of that course was the Special Items in Double Dash which aren't present)

Bakercat

Was about to post neo bowser city, but I just realized that it's considered "retro". Anyways, I think the best track has to be the electrodome. Just love the vibe and colors so much.

I really enjoy Super Bell Subway. IT's the kind of location I'd love to see in a Mario adventure platformer game.

Excitebike Arena is everything that Baby Park tries to be (but fails because the entire purpose of that course was the Special Items in Double Dash which aren't present)

And that shells could cross the middle area. Such a shame that change was made. Seeing giant shells zipping everywhere without stopping was glorious

My favorite Mario Kart 8/Mario Kart 8 Deluxe original tracks, and the ones I'd most like to see return in future installments, include:

- Wild Woods
- Mount Wario
- Sunshine Airport
- Animal Crossing
- Thwomp Ruins
- Big Blue
- Toad Harbor
- Excitebike Arena
- Bowser's Castle

More or less in that order, too. I generally enjoy most of the rest of the tracks, but I wouldn't necessarily be hyped to see them return either. The only Mario Kart 8 original tracks I outright don't enjoy and wouldn't want to see return are Bone-Dry Dunes, Super Bell Subway, Ice Ice Outpost, GCN Baby Park, and Twisted Mansion... again, generally in that order.

Seriously, Bone-Dry Dunes, Super Bell Subway, and Ice Ice Outpost are the worst. :( I can usually find ways to derive some enjoyment about of Twisted Mansion at least, even if DS Luigi's Mansion is by far the series' best take on the "vaguely Luigi-themed haunted mansion" course theme. Baby Park, meanwhile, was a riot back in Double Dash but it's been a dud since then. It's time to put Baby Park to rest for good.

Bonus: The one retro track I'm dying to see make a return in a console Mario Kart in glorious HD (and I've said this in multiple GameXplain discussions/podcasts) is DS Airship Fortress. Yeah, I know it already came back once in Mario Kart 7, but there's no rule against resurrecting the same retro track twice -- SNES Rainbow Road has managed it just fine!

Camjo-Z

#1 - Mount Wario. It's the first Mario Kart track that can only be described as "epic". From the huge drop onto the mountain to weaving inbetween the trees to the mad dash down the final hill, every moment is memorable and taken to the next level by the music.

#2 - Mario Stadium. It's a really simple level but the music and giant scale of the arena you're racing in give you that "THIS is Mario Kart 8" feeling.

#3 - Excitebike Arena. Baby Park loses some of its lustre without the ridiculous super items from Double Dash, and Excitebike Arena fills that gap that with nonstop high-flying stunts.

Runner-ups: Electrodome, Super Bell Subway, Sunshine Airport

Brofield

Electrodome my man

First post best post. Exactly what I came here to say.

Wild Woods is also excellent. I love how it trips me out everytime I start it because of the angle of the roads until you realize you're anti-grav sideways on a tree.

Excitebike Arena Is bae. I love how easy it is to chain boosts from jumps into boosts from drifts on that track. It's simple, short and fun.

Travado

Electrodrome is awesome, the Piranhas dancing and banging their heads are hilarious.

Mount Wario, Browsers Castle, Sunshine Airport, Cloudtop Cruise, Toad Harbor and Shy Guy Falls are incredible too.

But my vote goes to Mario Kart Stadium, that track is simple but gourgeous and really fun, it has the soul of Mario Kart in it, and the music... Man, the music is fucking epic.

Speaking to the music, the soundtrack in this game is outstanding.

Spinifex

Ribbon Road
Cloudtop Cruise
Shy Guy Falls
Excitebike Arena
Hyrule Circuit

Mount Wario is epic, especially the final part, but I still suck at it and haven't found the best route yet so I get steamrolled on it.

Wild Woods is probably my favorite. Amazing music and world-building alongside just being cool to race on. I want to live among the Shy Guys.

Cloudtop Cruise, Mount Wario, Animal Crossing, Toad Harbor, Bowser's Castle, Thwomp Ruins, Dolphin Shoals, Electrodrome, Sunshine Airport and the rest of the crossover tracks are up there as well.

Mount Wario for sure. But it's not far above:

Sunshine Airport,
Cloudtop Cruise,
Rainbow Road,
Bowser's Castle,
Shy Guy Falls,
Toad Harbor,
Super Bell Subway,
or Wild Woods.

All of these have the throughline of being amazing on 200cc as well. Neo Bowser City is also great but only as a 200cc time trial type thing for me now.

I'm one of only three people so far who loved Ice Ice Oupost.

Y'all crazy.

I would have put it on here before I realized the shortcut was dildos.

Mount Wario without a doubt. That last lap doing slalom while the music goes in crescendo until the jump is the stuff of legends. Also the frist part and thay wario dam are super fun and varied. Best track of the series without a doubt.

I also love excitebike arena because nintendo finally made a full rendition remix af the awesome excitebike title theme, and its a much better baby park with all the crazy jumps.

wartama

Neo Member
Big Blue and Wild Woods are gorgeous gorgeous tracks. I hate Super Bell Subway, but sure, I'll admit it has nice details.

EulaCapra

Welcome to 2014!

Water Park
Sweet Sweet Canyon
Dolphin Shoals
Mount Wario
Cloudtop Cruise
Excitebike Arena
Dragon Driftway
Mute City
Wild Woods
Big Blue

Excitebike Arena Is bae. I love how easy it is to chain boosts from jumps into boosts from drifts on that track. It's simple, short and fun.

I was telling my wife about that last night. Played right, you're never going more than a few seconds without doing a jump boost or a drift. Makes the race feel extremely lively and active.

But I can't get a time below 1:59, which is still in like the bottom half of records =(

Piscus

This game has so many sweet tracks. I'm not sure I can pick just a few.

I think I love the music in Toad's Harbor most, though.

...maybe.

Toad Harbor, Electrodome, and Mount Wario all absolutely take the cake for me. They're the full package with fun and diverse routes and gimmicks, great atmosphere and design and fantastic music. All three are some of the best tracks in the entire franchise. I'd also agree with many here that there should be more drag-race style tracks like Mount Wario.

But Rainbow Road 64 still shouldn't have been retrofitted to be one of them :/

Also Bone Dry Dunes is the worst and should never come back again.

Top Bottom