• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite racing game from the 7th generation?

Motorstorm Pacific Rift by far.

Evolution really got it right with this game. The loading times in the first game were a bit too long and the third game strayed too far from the formula and added unwelcome additions. MS:pR offered the perfect blend of fun but intense chaotic racing in lush environments, huge jumps and drop offs, great soundtrack, good vehicle and track selection. Just a shame they messed it up with Apocalypse.

If they've finished with the IP I really wish Evolution passed the baton to another developer for a follow up to Pacific Rift but in a different setting with night racing and cockpit view.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Split/Second because it was so unique, and GRID cos it was so exhilarating.

reKon

Banned
Mod Nation Racer's. A PS4 version with no load times and improved local multiplayer would set it as king of all kart racers for forever.

If only some genius could mix Burnout paradise with Spilt second.

It would be the ultimate arcade racer.

Fuck it, throw in a little NFS Rivals in for good measure.

Marche90

Need for Speed Most Wanted, one of the very few games that I have tried to platinum. Some trophies suck massively, though

ironcreed

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDCxaWDKeN4

mic-drop.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Pure- I really need to buy this. ATVs and badass arcade style tracks. Loved it!
Forza 3 - really enjoyed my time with this!

KORNdoggy

Motorstorm 1/pacific rift

Or

Blur

I guess burnout revenge too seeing as it was on 360. (Never liked paradise)

EDIT: oh, and how could i forget wipeout HD/fury

Motorstorm... that game still looks gorgeous, and is quite fun and challenging.

One of the few games that (at times) makes me feel like i'm playing a CG movie.

ngff02

Definitely Burnout Paradise. Alike others I picked it up because it was the first retail PS3 game with trophies. I had no idea what I was in for.

I would like to give a BIG mention to NFS Most Wanted 2005 on the 360. I always been a NFS fan but I was blown away how great that game was. It hasn't been topped yet by any street racer.

I know it was mostly a hunk of shit but SHIFT 2 pushed all my buttons. Particularly all the exact buttons that GT5 did not. Really excited for a SHIFT 3 on PS4 if that's even a thing. I'll buy day 1.

DJ Gunner

Midnight Club: Los Angeles, and GRID.

It surprises me that MCLA didn't get more mentions here- nearly six years after release, it's still a visually stunning game. GRID is too.

My top 5:

1) Sonic Racing Transformed
2) MotorStorm Apocalypse
3) Dirt 2/3 (just the rally stuff)
4) Need for Speed The Run (I enjoyed it)
5) Forza Horizon

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wipeout HD, Split Second, and Burnout Revenge 360. Honorable Mention for Stuntman Ignition 360.

Burnout Paradise was okay mechanically but open world is kinda poop for racing games. Beating people because they took their eyes away from the minimap for a second and missed a turn and/or because they don't have a giant-ass worldmap as excruciatingly memorized as other players makes for kinda hollow, shitty victories.

My kingdom for a structured next-gen Burnout.

Hip Hop

Forza Horizon.

this.

30fps, I did not give a shit.

God, that game was amazing.

Confirm Forza Horizon 2, and im in for X1.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 is my 2nd. They did so much that offered more than just racing, the ambition was huge and I can see some of that magic being worked on The Crew. They deserve so much for what they are trying to accomplish in that game. The usual snark "too big" is just funny to me. No other developer has done something like this in a long time. I want a huge world open so I can drive it, and the always connected aspect makes the world feel more alive. Seriously can't wait for that game either.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For me, it's probably Ridge Racer 7. I love how it plays, and the soundtrack is incredible. Oddly enough, I didn't like RR6, even though it's largely the same game.

Second place is probably GRID. Another fantastic racing game, and it had just the right blend of realism and arcade-y to the driving.

Third place is Dirt 3. Codemasters really knows how to put together a racing game.

Nvzman

Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed
Like other people said here, it has fantastic track design and a very nicely done learning curve.

PGR 3
Gran Turismo
Burn out Paradise
Sonic All Stars Racing

Nothing beats Gran Turismo 2 play time, if I had to guess, I would say that I put 500+ hours into that game when I had time in high school or whatever.

Even since about 2005, real jobs and stuff having let me pour ton of time in games. Forma on the original Xbox was the last game that I really put more than say 50 hours in

Sweet Ivy

Motorstorm Apocalypse, hadn't had that much racing fun since Burnout Paradise, which would be my second choice.
I do prefer racing arcades over sims.

I just got into racing games in the middle of gen 7, starting with Forza 4.

Best was definitely Forza Horizon. I really hope we see a sequel late this year.

F1 Championship Edition / Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

Best (fantasy) race tracks:

Misty Loch, Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends
Riviera, Supercar Challenge

Top Bottom