• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube announces support for 60fps videos

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I just did a quick check on the titanfall video, it looks like it uses a bitrate at around 3800 to 4000, basically the same as their current 1080p30 videos. The difference being of course that it uses VP9 instead of H.264. Since the codec is supposed to be about twice as efficient (a bit less in my experience, but whatever), it should yield the same image quality as before at twice the framerate.
I think Youtube's main issue will be the insane encoding requirements for these new generation of codecs (from my experience with x264 and x265, it's around 8 times slower). Unless they have a huge farm of dedicated hardware (which is of course absolutely possible), they are definitely going to only allow a select few to use this in the beginning.

boneso

Yeah but what are the trade offs? I'd rather play my videos at 1080p/30fps than 720p/60fps. I should also be able to lock the frame rate because I'm really sensitive to judder :/

Hard to tell with text, but i really hope this ^ isn't a serious post...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Sorry if discussed in the thread but what about the YouTube app either for Android or iOS?

Since their video decoding hardware doesn't support VP9 (at least, I never heard of any current system that has something like that) they would have to fall back to their CPU, and I doubt they are powerful enough to decode these new and very complex codecs.
Edit: From what I found, a Nexus 5 could handle VP9 up to 1080p30, not 60:
https://groups.google.com/a/webmproject.org/forum/m/?fromgroups#!topic/webm-discuss/4qFBHpthG3Q

Why does this look sped up to me? I play 60fps games all of the time but something seemed off on this video.

Not sure, maybe you're not used to seeing the glory of 60fps on youtube? I know I'm sure as hell not, looks pretty great to me. IQ isn't great but it looks as good as any other youtube video.

Cygnus

Banned
Not sure, maybe you're not used to seeing the glory of 60fps on youtube? I know I'm sure as hell not, looks pretty great to me. IQ isn't great but it looks as good as any other youtube video.

Maybe? I watch 60fps videos on Giant Bomb and Gamersyde but yea maybe my head can't get around Youtube actually having smooth video playback.

Sweet now I can take twice as long to record and encode my videos and still not have people watch them... *cries*

HEdz7J9.png

Much 60... such wow.

fresquito

So when will this be implemented. Is it retroactive? I usualy encode my videos at 59,9fps, just because it's the same size anyway. having my old videos running at 60 fps would be ace.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
YouTube is one of the best things to happen to the Web. This is highly welcomed.

It's also one of the worst for those who care about image quality. Youtube is great for many things, but for game videos it's (or was, we'll see) simply not good enough, especially with the new generation of consoles where small details matter even more than before.
But I know I'm in the minority ;)

Lnds500

It's also one of the worst for those who care about image quality. Youtube is great for many things, but for game videos it's (or was, we'll see) simply not good enough, especially with the new generation of consoles where small details matter even more than before.
But I know I'm in the minority ;)

HEVC to the rescue.

EDIT: or VP9 cause you know.. it's Google.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope this encourages more game devs to go for 60fps.
I've had a theory for a while that Youtube not supporting 60fps is a major reason for lower framerate games, especially now that Youtube is the go to source for game media and screenshots tend to get ignored. We'll see if it plays out over the next few years. It'll certainly be easier to market the benefits of 60.

Top Bottom