• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube announces support for 60fps videos

Rootbeer

Banned
Weird, when I download the 720p vid from Firefox the file claims to be 30fps in Properties.

Fully agree why does Youtube make it so hard to download 1080p anyway :( it used to be easy but they changed they way they send the video and audio streams

1080p It is def 60fps... look at the "stats for nerds" (right-click on video) it says 1080p60, yay...

Sectus

Now give us the option to upload at a non-terrible bitrate and I'll celebrate.

I think they increased the bitrate quite a bit with 60fps videos.

You can compare this 60fps video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAYUACtfGvE
With this older 30fps video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zb6eK6Y464

Just pause at any given time during 720p and look at the text on the hud. It's littered with compression artifacts on the 30fps video, but looks a lot cleaner on the 60fps video. It could look even better, but I'm happy if this change means higher video quality than before.

It's based on subscriber count, I believe. Currently, they are rolling out 60FPS to partnered channels with a high subscriber count. That PayDay 2 guy has over 44k subscribers, so it makes sense to give it to him (60FPS is targeting mainly the gaming community for obvious reasons). In due time, more channels will have access to it.

It's based on subscriber count, I believe. Currently, they are rolling out 60FPS to partnered channels with a high subscriber account. That PayDay 2 guy has over 44k subscribers, so it makes sense to give it to him (60FPS is targeting mainly the gaming community for obvious reasons). In due time, more channels will have access to it.

I'll give it a try then. I only have 14k but maybe that is enough.

Sectus

The above video from Payday 2 doesn't play for me in 60 FPS btw.The stats show 25-30 FPS.

I cant see any enable settings throughout the menu.

Try using a different browser. I don't think 60fps works in Firefox or Opera. Definitely works in Google Chrome.

It's based on subscriber count, I believe. Currently, they are rolling out 60FPS to partnered channels with a high subscriber count. That PayDay 2 guy has over 44k subscribers, so it makes sense to give it to him (60FPS is targeting mainly the gaming community for obvious reasons). In due time, more channels will have access to it.

5K subs, non-partner channel got 60fps video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zPm3SSj6W8

The YouTube Center extension lists the available frame rates under the video description, even if your browser cannot play them:

youtube-center_framer7xktf.png

Sectus

GeneralMcBadAss replied to my comment about his video being 60fps:
Everything I've made has always been 60 fps but has been capped by youtube's 30 fps nonesense. I actually didn't notice it until people started mentioning it, but finally gettting 60 fps in a video looks glorious and I'm fucking glad they finally allowed it

Interestingly, it seems there is no 30fps/60fps toggle, so if your computer plays 720p30 / 1080p30 fine but is laggy when it plays 720p60 / 1080p60 you're basically fucked up.?

RyuHei

Seems like chrome exclusive...

I'm using Palemoon and 60fps isn't even working either. Guess it's browser dependent. We'll just have to wait for update from other browsers.

cripterion

That BF hardline video had fluctuating fps for me, it stayed mostly at 41fps @1080P full screen in firefox. Just odd lol

Tainted

So what's the story here ? Are google just letting certain uploaders beta test this feature...when do we expect to see this released in proper ?

Top Bottom