• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube announces support for 60fps videos

Don't worry gamersyde, I still love you <3

I'm guessing it takes serious resources, but I've been wondering why that site doesn't let users upload videos like youtube?

seems a bit odd not to inform people that you have to watching at 720 p or 1080p to see it in 60 fps.

60 fps hitting youtube is the best way to get this concept instilled in the casuals mindset, and it's these very same dudebros that probably won't know to set it to 1080p to begin with. Which will then, interestingly give them a mindset furthermore that 60 fps doesn't matter "cus they saw it on youtube."

sixty frames of terrible fucking compression

it's something at least

edit - those videos are nice and I'm really glad about the whole framerate thing as I've been compiling footage to upload and most of it is 60fps. I'd love for Youtube's ' " ' " ' 1080p ' " ' " ' to one day not look like a seven year old 720p Vizio LCD viewed through a light kaleidoscope

plank

Doesn't work at all for me on FF and on chrome only the Titan Fall video shows 60 fps some of the time.

HoodWinked

sixty frames of terrible fucking compression

it's something at least

i think its funny how it parallels how people can be so stupidly narrow in their understanding and somehow 1080p@60fps are the only things that matter. when in reality compression matters, bitrate, fidelity of visuals. pretty much mirrors the same argument people make in gaming visuals.

meptrep

The videos look absolutely terrible in terms of compression, but yes, it is 60fps. Performs fine for me, but I have a pretty decent PC.

HoodWinked

LOL google being scummy, i wanted to check the performance on IE after hearing people saying it ran poorly on firefox, looks like they have separate video caches for chrome (notice how it maxes out at 720p).

47B8wo5.png

I can't wait for this whole 24FPS cinematic bullshit to finally die in all forms. The only reason people think it "looks" right is because that's how they've always had movies portrayed to them. Hopefully the toddlers now will grow up and look back at crap framerate in all forms and wonder what the hell we were thinking.

I wonder if people lost their minds when films stopped being black and white. I wonder if their were groups of people yapping their mouths off about films not being cinematic anymore because of technicolor.
There were probably luddites then as well. I can't wait for film and console games to embrace 60fps. Cameron had already said he will be filming in 60fps and more game devs are going to 60fps now.

vg260

Just played the Titanfall video in both Firefox and Chrome. Looks OK in Chrome but definitely not 60fps in Firefox. Not sure why.

The settings need to be clearer.

Watch this sort of browser/performance issue perpetuate the 30fps doesn't looks any different myth.

Remark

Banned
My laptop can stream/run 60fps videos fine on other sites that I tried it on but it's freezing really bad on here. I'm on chrome.

When 60 becomes the norm, 30 will feel strange. It will be beautiful.

Exactly. People hated on the Hobbit and other high framerate content, but only because the cultural norm for the last 50+ years of cinema was 24fps.

If Hollywood blockbusters were all made in 48/60fps, they would become the new standard for high production films and 60fps would become the new "feel" of cinema and 24fps would look dated and stuttery by comprison - much like how the old 16fps silent films do today.

wbEMX

When 60 becomes the norm, 30 will feel strange. It will be beautiful.

I gotta be honest. As much as I loved the Hobbit in 48FPS, I somehow don't want that it becomes the norm for movies. yeah, yeah, you all can bring up the point again that it just feels good to have 24FPS on flicks, because it has been that way since the 1920s. But I actually like the 24FPS look, at least for movies. A few "event movies"/blockbusters surely can use 48FPS, but I still like 24FPS.

As for games... yeah, 60 should be the norm. It should've been the norm on consoles by now, too, but for some reason only Nintendo and Naughty Dog manage to get that one right. :p

I definitely love the new 60FPS feature. It's something I've wanted on YouTube for a long time. As for the three test videos... VGHS doesn't run at 60 for me, BFH runs almost perfectly and Titanfall occasionally drops in frame rate. But it's a good start.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Only the max setting is 60 FPS (and because youtube has the dumbest programmers on earth, it will not play the max video quality for me bar it being set to do that in my settings and youtube never switches to the higher quality you tell it to for any part of the video it has already loaded up, thus this is useless).

LOL google being scummy, i wanted to check the performance on IE after hearing people saying it ran poorly on firefox, looks like they have separate video caches for chrome (notice how it maxes out at 720p).

http://i.imgur.com/47B8wo5.png

I'm not getting 60 FPS in Firefox but now I'm not sure if that's because I have YouTube Center installed with DASH Playback disabled or simply because it's being limited to Chrome at the moment. Either way this sucks.

RedAssedApe

Banned
ios app seems to be 60fps...although either my isp is crap (twc) or the 1080p/60 version isn't on cdn. buffering like crazy

Top Bottom