• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube announces support for 60fps videos

On firefox here, and a decent computer. Can't get anywhere near 60 regardless of setting or size.

I'm a Firefox user too. I just like its layout and how webpages look better than IE and even Chrome. I've tried other browsers but I can't get used to them. Opera used to be my second favorite but its been years since I've used it.

Sentenza

2562405-6086807432-Happe.gif
Jesus Christ. ;_;

RedAssedApe

Banned
working in safari for me now on my mac

60fps is gross for live action stuff. it gives that soap opera-y effect like if you turn on the "motion-flow" option on your tv.

HoodWinked

android youtube player runs it at high framerate but it may not be stable 60 depending on your hardware. nexus4 is 720p on a snapdragon s4 and i can see it fluctuating between 40 to 60.

working in safari for me now on my mac

60fps is gross for live action stuff. it gives that soap opera-y effect like if you turn on the "motion-flow" option on your tv.
Is there an option to have 30fps in HD resolutions? If not that wouldn't be a bad idea for those who don't like the smooth look.

I gotta be honest. As much as I loved the Hobbit in 48FPS, I somehow don't want that it becomes the norm for movies. yeah, yeah, you all can bring up the point again that it just feels good to have 24FPS on flicks, because it has been that way since the 1920s. But I actually like the 24FPS look, at least for movies. A few "event movies"/blockbusters surely can use 48FPS, but I still like 24FPS.

As for games... yeah, 60 should be the norm. It should've been the norm on consoles by now, too, but for some reason only Nintendo and Naughty Dog manage to get that one right. :p

I definitely love the new 60FPS feature. It's something I've wanted on YouTube for a long time. As for the three test videos... VGHS doesn't run at 60 for me, BFH runs almost perfectly and Titanfall occasionally drops in frame rate. But it's a good start.

I don't mind 24fps, but with the added frames, you just cut through so much of the blur, makeup and prosthetics will need to improve because high framerate is much less forgiving, but I think we'll all adjust.

Plus any time they do a scenic pan, we'll all be better off for it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just make it a separate option in the menu that people have the option to pick, and will be aware of buffering time, so they can keep the bitrate at something that resembles viewable. That's my hope, anyway.

1080p only atm? That's no good for all the 720p/60fps fighting games, sadface.

wbEMX

Currently uploading the highest quality 1080p/60fps Video of the Uncharted 4 Teaser from Gamersyde (Muxed the French Trailer's slightly higher quality Video w/English Trailer's Audio).

Will post link with 60-fps results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxormiOpIU

wait for it up process, GAFbros. Also thanks, BASED-Gamersyde.

Nope, it's still has 30FPS, no matter if in 720p or 1080p. Seriously, they need to unlock that shit now. :D

Isotope

It looks and plays really nice in Chrome. Wondering why it doesn't work well (If at all) in FF (Disabled the HTML player too, and still doesn't work).

Anon67

It'll be nice to see some silly smooth gameplay now. Totally digging this feature, though I fear it won't work as well as how we think it'll work. And I wonder if content creators will really care and record gameplay at 60 FPS. I mean, it's a video, so unless you are doing something special, who cares? Yeah, it'll look better, though there are some downsides.

Pachinko

Yeah I'll add to the positive reports with chrome. Looks better than I was expecting actually. I'm guessing chrome is acting as a beta test for the plug in ? perhaps an update will be sent out to IE and Firefox later ?

Either way, I look forward to seeing trailers of nexgen games in their actual framerates without the massive gamersyde download (although it's appreciated nonetheless).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The complaints regarding the bitrate are justified, but perhaps missing the wider implications. YouTube is mainstream while Gamersyde is not. There will be millions of gamers watching these 60fps videos, and they will be introduced to the vocabulary and visuals of high frame rates. I'm assuming there will be labels for 60fps footage. Once they're armed with that information they will be able to distinguish, appreciate, and demand high framerates in their games. In addition, due to the video compression, a locked 60fps is far more distinguishable in A/B video comparisons than more subtle additional graphical detail. Game developers now have an avenue and an incentive to market 60fps as a feature during the pre-release phase. Eventually, 60fps may eventually become an element of concern rather than an empty buzzword in the minds of mainstream consumers.

SZips

Looks great in Chrome but holy crap I cannot get their HTML 5 player to work properly in Firefox at all.

I enabled it at their HTML 5 page. I forced HTML 5 in YouTube Extender but it either tells me "Your Browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available" (such as on the Titanfall video) or it doesn't provide any option above 360p (on the other two).

I haven't a clue as to why it's so completely broken.

Top Bottom