• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Reknoc

I thought Ys5 was alright, though I only got to the swamp area (?) and then stopped playing so...

I've been pretty vocal about Ys 5 over the years. There's a lot of stuff I like about it, but the combat is so dull. It reminds me of Soul Blazer games. I know those are sacred cows, but I don't like the combat in them either. And it's pretty darn similar to what's in Ys 5.

oh, even terranigmas? :( But yea I agree it does feel similar especially to Soul Blazer.

Mr.Jeff

I imagine a Ys 5 remake will happen though probably after Ys 8.
I thought they had still to (publically) decide if they were doing Ys 8 or a remake of Ys 5? I seem to recall an interview saying they were unsure of which to go with.

I 'm hoping there's going to be some news on the next game soon. I figure something must be happening soon so they can release that and still have something to work on for the 30 anniversary of Ys 1's release in 2017 (long term planning I know).

Jucksalbe

Banned
I figure something must be happening soon so they can release that and still have something to work on for the 30 anniversary of Ys 1's release in 2017 (long term planning I know).

We have some new consoles now, so those are in desperate need of an Ys I&II port.

Reknoc

I thought they had still to (publically) decide if they were doing Ys 8 or a remake of Ys 5? I seem to recall an interview saying they were unsure of which to go with.

I 'm hoping there's going to be some news on the next game soon. I figure something must be happening soon so they can release that and still have something to work on for the 30 anniversary of Ys 1's release in 2017 (long term planning I know).

Oh I don't know then. I would think if they did the remake next it wouldn't use new mechanics like 8 probably would and I'd seriously have no interest in another 7-like game.

jb1234

I've been pretty vocal about Ys 5 over the years. There's a lot of stuff I like about it, but the combat is so dull. It reminds me of Soul Blazer games. I know those are sacred cows, but I don't like the combat in them either. And it's pretty darn similar to what's in Ys 5.

I dunno. I love Soul Blazer but found Ys 5 to be a mess. The combat is just so imprecise and unsatisfying.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I dunno. I love Soul Blazer but found Ys 5 to be a mess. The combat is just so imprecise and unsatisfying.

I loved Soul Blazer too, but I do feel that the Ys 5 hit-detection in combat is very strange. It's almost, but not quite, as bad as Lagoon... like I'll be blatantly hitting the enemy but my hits won't register. But yeah, it's funny to see that other people get Quintet vibes from Ys 5, the game reminds me a lot of Illusion of Gaia in particular.

Up to the Sand City of Kefin, which I presume is nearing the end. We'll see if I can finish it tonight. Since this weekend I'm gearing up to finally start Memories of Celceta. Then I'll have all the main Ys games (aside from the Taito versions of 4 and 5) done.

So, Ys Strategy and Ys Typing... what can you guys tell me about them?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, Ys Strategy and Ys Typing... what can you guys tell me about them?

I've played a little of Typing of Ys. It was pretty much your basic typing game with an Ys theme based on my brief experience. Sometime after the fact I found out it's probably not even legal, because it's a minigame that was stripped out of another game, so I'm not sure if we can link it here or anything.

And I've heard Ys Strategy is a horrible game (hence Ys Tragedy) that doesn't really have anything to do with Ys apart from licensing the name. But I haven't played it myself so I can't offer any sort of meaningful opinion.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finished Napishtim just now. It's a bit crude compared to Oath and especially Origin, but I liked it a lot. Music was very synthesized and while it wasn't the best stuff I've heard it was a nice change of pace from the nonstop thrash metal of Complete/Oath/Origin and a lot of it was pretty catchy. Somehow the game felt "bigger" than the other games with this engine, more ambitious somehow - but that probably has more to do with the lack of dashing and warping. :p

Speaking of which, the lack of double jump which made you rely on the lunge jump thing to cross tiny platforms is the worst thing Falcom has ever done and it almost made me give up on the game! It was only really a problem in the second dungeon though, so I got over it. The bosses were pretty great too. The water cave boss was stupid hard until I realized I could actually hit him with my fire magic from across the lake.

I liked the story the most I think, especially the way it connected all the other games. The emelas monsters, the eldeen, the clan of darkness, etc. Nothing too groundbreaking but it felt like a step above most Ys plots, and it actually made me want to go back and give Ys 7 (why doesn't this game have a subtitle?) another shot, just to see where it goes from here.

iavi

Memories in Celceta

The thirst in Celceta is so real. I'm only a few hours in and I don't know how many times I've read someone say they want to jump Adol's bones already. Adolthepimp

serious impressions:

I can see the map-writing becoming somewhat addicting. Having the memory cutscenes spread across the map as a way to encourage exploration is a genius hook for Story>everything dudes like me. That said, they have been kind of obvious in placement so far, and I'm hoping there are a few really good ones that take meeting certain requirements to get, but I'm not tripping about that too much yet--unless it never changes/happens.

Aru

Beat Ys Origin yesterday with Hugo. Great game, but not as great as Felghana IMO. A lot better than Napishtim, though.
Difficulty-wise, normal setting was not really challenging, outside of a boss which you are supposed to lose to.

The last boss was kinda easy, there was only one attack that I didn't find how to evade: his most devastating attack. I had a one-time resurrection item and that saved me.

I'm not going to play with Yunica, so I'm going straight to the 3rd character, since
his story is the only canon one.

I played a few minutes with him, and started on Hard difficulty. I like his style, it's the total opposite of Hugo's. But platforming is kinda annoying, when you have to use his first skill.

Beat Ys Origin yesterday with Hugo. Great game, but not as great as Felghana IMO. A lot better than Napishtim, though.
Difficulty-wise, normal setting was not really challenging, outside of a boss which you are supposed to lose to.

The last boss was kinda easy, there was only one attack that I didn't find how to evade: his most devastating attack. I had a one-time resurrection item and that saved me.

I'm not going to play with Yunica, so I'm going straight to the 3rd character, since
his story is the only canon one.

I played a few minutes with him, and started on Hard difficulty. I like his style, it's the total opposite of Hugo's. But platforming is kinda annoying, when you have to use his first skill.

Origin is not as good as OoF, but it's still an amazing game... and the playthrough you're in will make you appreciate the story sooooo much.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can't let Hugo spoil your impression of Origin. With him its merely a decent, fun game. With Yunica it is one of the best Ys games. With the last character it is the best Ys game, IMO.

I was just thinking that it's a shame that Ys 1+2 Chronicles, which to me has the best OST of the series, is the Recent Ys game that's least likely to be played due to the old-style battle system.

Are there any other Ys tracks that use a Flamenco sound like Temple of Solomon does?

You can't let Hugo spoil your impression of Origin. With him its merely a decent, fun game. With Yunica it is one of the best Ys games. With the last character it is the best Ys game, IMO.

I've always felt like OoF is a better game but I REALLY prefer Origin(with the 3rd character), I just love how the action doesn't stop and it has the best story of any Ys game.

Yunica is just Adol, which isn't a bad thing but I found the other 2 characters to be really interesting.

demidar

I've always felt like OoF is a better game but I REALLY prefer Origin(with the 3rd character), I just love how the action doesn't stop and it has the best story of any Ys game.

Yunica is just Adol, which isn't a bad thing but I found the other 2 characters to be really interesting.

Yunica's charged fire magic is GOAT.

jb1234

I went through Origin with all three characters and had the most fun with Yunica (mostly because the game was fresh to me at that point). In the end, I still probably went through the game two times too many but it was fun.

(I also prefer OoF.)

djtiesto

Beat 5 last night, and now it's on to Celceta!

I thought it was a decent game, just not a good Ys game. And funny enough, if you exclude all the millions of remakes of varying quality, the Ys series may just very well be the most consistent game series in history.

Psxphile

Origin is interesting as an Ys title just by having protagonists that speak their minds.
shut_your_damned_mouth.jpg

The bosses were pretty great too. The water cave boss was stupid hard until I realized I could actually hit him with my fire magic from across the lake.
I just beat that boss on Nightmare. I never knew you could hit its -expletive deleted- face with anything else but the exploding sushi it shoots at you. :eek:

I liked the story the most I think, especially the way it connected all the other games. The emelas monsters, the eldeen, the clan of darkness, etc. Nothing too groundbreaking but it felt like a step above most Ys plots, and it actually made me want to go back and give Ys 7 (why doesn't this game have a subtitle?) another shot, just to see where it goes from here.
SbyzQ0y.jpg

It does! Kinda. I mean, they spell it out rather than just use a numeral, but hey. Probably saving the real subtitle for the PS4 remake. :p

"The Five Dragons of Altago" seems like the direction they'd go with one, and I'm not saying that just because it appears on the Ys I Eternal loading screen several years before Ys Seven was released.

djtiesto

Origin is interesting as an Ys title just by having protagonists that speak their minds.

Hehe, I meant to say Celceta. I've beaten Origin with all 3 characters... it's easily one of my favorite games in the series.

Aeana

Beat 5 last night, and now it's on to Celceta!

I thought it was a decent game, just not a good Ys game. And funny enough, if you exclude all the millions of remakes of varying quality, the Ys series may just very well be the most consistent game series in history.
I'd give that to Dragon Quest.

Psxphile

Yeah, Ys is many things but consistency isn't one of them. The battle system alone is changed up every so often.

On another note, I was just listening to the Ys Seven OST and couldn't help but notice the similarities between Oral Tradition and Chrono Cross's Garden of God:

Oral Tradition

Garden of God

I'm probably not the first person to come to that conclusion either. Hell, both games even have similar story beats involving
finding (and fighting) dragons that bore the elemental powers of the earth
. It just struck as a curious coincidence, is all. Like the "Item Get!" jingle from Ys sounding almost exactly like the one from the Metroid series.

Oh hey guys, what's up?

Don't mind me. I'm just grinding in the Mesa section of Solomon Shrine in Ys 2.

Loving the music, the story and the game overall.

Enemies can be tough so I'm gonna keep at this rape-fest a little while longer.

Looking forward to my next Ys title to pick up.

Edit:

Okay so is this supposed to happen? I have the item that gives me details on the enemies and I can see how much exp they give, but does the game lower how much exp earned from enemes as you level up? Because ive been farming Zavanites and they give like 270 exp, but now I'm up 4 or 5 levels and its closer to 220 o_O

Dafuq

vocab

I beat ys1 a couple days ago. So glad I didn't play it on the hardest difficulty like I do with other Ys games. I have no idea how I would of beaten the last couple of bosses.

Psxphile

Edit:

Okay so is this supposed to happen? I have the item that gives me details on the enemies and I can see how much exp they give, but does the game lower how much exp earned from enemes as you level up? Because ive been farming Zavanites and they give like 270 exp, but now I'm up 4 or 5 levels and its closer to 220 o_O

Dafuq

Yeah, that's normal for Ys. XP earned from defeated enemies scales down as you gain levels. Probably to prevent the player from power leveling in any one spot for too long.

yaffi

I beat ys1 a couple days ago. So glad I didn't play it on the hardest difficulty like I do with other Ys games. I have no idea how I would of beaten the last couple of bosses.

I just finished Ys 1 (Chronicles+) and man, I sure got lucky I didn't have to spend more than half an hour on the final boss.

I then proceeded to play Ys 2 and was immediately put of by not being able to use the left stick on my controller. Being forced to use the d-pad on the 360 controller is just ugh.

Psxphile

I just finished Ys 1 (Chronicles+) and man, I sure got lucky I didn't have to spend more than half an hour on the final boss.

I then proceeded to play Ys 2 and was immediately put of by not being able to use the left stick on my controller. Being forced to use the d-pad on the 360 controller is just ugh.
So analog works in Ys I but not Ys II? That's odd. Works fine in both for me. Check configuration and make sure 'Game Pad' is enabled and 'Xbox 360 Controller for Windows' is selected in the drop down menu?

happy ys'ter

have an ys'ter egg!

GqiAP7C.jpg
Adol getting in on that egg hunt early.

Quick question: what do people here prefer when playing Chronicles+?
-Complete or Chronicles art?
-PC-88, Complete or Chronicles music?

I think I prefer Chronicles artwork over Complete's, though both are good (even if both artstyles are a little too reminiscent of hentai VN art of their respective eras). But I definitely like hearing the rearranged music over Complete's: Palace of Solomon is GODLY in Chronicles. Complete's version just doesn't do it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pzz7buCRyM

I'll have to playthrough again with the PC-88 sound enabled to get a feel for it. It's not FM-synth, right? General Midi? PSG? Something else entirely? Anyway, I like it. Gives me a nostalgic feeling.

I'm not even going to ask if you prefer to play with the classic border and hud or zoomed in, PSP-style: the only correct choice when playing on a PC is classic border.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I like the Chronicles art a lot more.
I switch between the music from time to time just to compare, but when I don't I usually stick with the Chronicles music.

VandalD

Finally beat Ys 2 yesterday, after having bought it as soon as it came out on Steam. I stopped at Burnedbless because I got confused a while back with all the passages and layouts. I'm not sure why in retrospect. It wasn't that bad. Solomon Shrine, however. Holy crap. That was confusing even with a map. The last boss (on normal) didn't give me any trouble because I pretty much cheesed him. He's a long shot from Dark Fact, which took me many, many tries.
I ran in with the invincibility magic on and beat him before I even ran out of MP.

I'm hoping for more Ys on Steam. More games from Japan in general would be great, but Ys in particular came out of nowhere for me.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Quick question: what do people here prefer when playing Chronicles+?
-Complete or Chronicles art?
-PC-88, Complete or Chronicles music?

I think I prefer Chronicles artwork over Complete's, though both are good (even if both artstyles are a little too reminiscent of hentai VN art of their respective eras). But I definitely like hearing the rearranged music over Complete's: Palace of Solomon is GODLY in Chronicles. Complete's version just doesn't do it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pzz7buCRyM

I'll have to playthrough again with the PC-88 sound enabled to get a feel for it. It's not FM-synth, right? General Midi? PSG? Something else entirely? Anyway, I like it. Gives me a nostalgic feeling.

I'm not even going to ask if you prefer to play with the classic border and hud or zoomed in, PSP-style: the only correct choice when playing on a PC is classic border.

I have the Japanese PC port of Chronicles and PSP-style full screen is the only option. They stopped selling Complete a while back. :(
I don't mind the new HUD or borderless screen, but the zoomed in FOV just kills me.

For a while I actually preferred Complete's midi arrangements, and some of them I still do. Fountain of Love, Tears of Sylph, Holders of Power, Too Full with Love, etc.
Stuff like Campanile of Lane and Palace of Solomon are way, way better in Chronicles with more realistic instrumentation.

No real preference for the art. I'd probably prefer Chronicles' art if they redid the opening movies to account for the style change, as it stands it's a little jarring.

I'm hoping for more Ys on Steam. More games from Japan in general would be great, but Ys in particular came out of nowhere for me.
Ys VI is the only other game that hasn't hit Steam yet. There -is- a PC port of Ys 7 in China but who knows what's going on with that.

Psxphile

Wait, so that shit is real? Weird. Why would they redo the graphics like that for the X68000, of all things?

tumblr_macgdfyqFW1rwmb58.gif

Posting Ys'ter eggs in an Ys thread:

Did you know you can unlock alternate costumes for Elena (configuration screen only) by beating Oath of Felghana on different difficulty levels? Right-click on her image and you can toggle her various costumes. I think they appear in the PSP version too but I don't know in what capacity as I'm not that familiar with it. Some are just pallete swaps referencing older Elena designs, and some are much more eye-catching.

This is also true for Chronicles+'s configuration screen, where you can toggle which Ys poster girl shows up in config after beating other difficulties. Origin sadly doesn't seem to have anything like that. Napishtim only has Isha show up in the configuration screen, despite proof of racier content in the game files. Which I'd link if I weren't fearful of what it'd do to this thread.

Oath in Felghana has a similar, absurd easter egg that I don't think very many people know about. (endgame spoilers)
When you beat Dularn for the second time, she has a portrait showing her unmasked. What a lot of people don't know is that if you're on Nightmare mode or higher, her portrait is changed so that you can see her cleavage.

http://i.imgur.com/oWbzg7u.png
http://i.imgur.com/W2ROAuB.png

Why they stuck this in there, I have no idea. I never would have found it if it weren't for another forum post.

yaffi

So analog works in Ys I but not Ys II? That's odd. Works fine in both for me. Check configuration and make sure 'Game Pad' is enabled and 'Xbox 360 Controller for Windows' is selected in the drop down menu?

Looks to be a bug and the solutions mentioned in the steam forums don't do anything for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_macgdfyqFW1rwmb58.gif

Posting Ys'ter eggs in an Ys thread:

http://i.imgur.com/0SDbfmk.png

Did you know you can unlock alternate costumes for Elena (configuration screen only) by beating Oath of Felghana on different difficulty levels? Right-click on her image and you can toggle her various costumes. I think they appear in the PSP version too but I don't know in what capacity as I'm not that familiar with it. Some are just pallete swaps referencing older Elena designs, and some are much more eye-catching.

This is also true for Chronicles+'s configuration screen, where you can toggle which Ys poster girl shows up in config after beating other difficulties. Origin sadly doesn't seem to have anything like that. Napishtim only has Isha show up in the configuration screen, despite proof of racier content in the game files. Which I'd link if I weren't fearful of what it'd do to this thread.

Edit: Well, I should have posted when I opened up the thread instead of leaving it sitting for 30 minutes!

I went for Chronicles art and music for my first playthrough. For subsequent playthroughs I think I'll play the PCE versions directly so I'll keep it at that.

I did try out the other soundtracks a little bit though and I really liked what I heard!

I tried out all of the settings, but my favorite defaults were Complete art+Chronicles music. Dat Palace of Solomon, dat subterranean canal, dat Tension.

As I said earlier, Ys1+2 Chronicles has my favorite Ys soundtrack that I've heard.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The worst thing about the PCE ost is that there is only one boss theme for both games and one track for the entirety of darm tower which, as great as it is, kind of gets tedious when you're spending several hours listening to it on repeat. Eternal/Complete/Chronicles added a few additional tracks to break it up and they're really good.

I do think Ryo Yonemitsu's arrangements are the best though, I only wish there was more.

It doesn't help that I find Chase of Shadow and Protectors to both be much better tracks than Holders of Power.

Wasn't Chase of Shadow originally an unused track in the earlier versions of Ys 1?

On the other hand, the PCE version of Don't go so Smoothly is my favorite version. PCE Termination is pretty high as well.

Psxphile

Weird, that the three sizes aren't displayed.
Don't you need to enable it first to see that information?

Oath in Felghana has a similar, absurd easter egg that I don't think very many people know about. (endgame spoilers)
When you beat Dularn for the second time, she has a portrait showing her unmasked. What a lot of people don't know is that if you're on Nightmare mode or higher, her portrait is changed so that you can see her cleavage.

http://i.imgur.com/oWbzg7u.png
http://i.imgur.com/W2ROAuB.png

Why they stuck this in there, I have no idea. I never would have found it if it weren't for another forum post.
I've yet to challenge Nightmare mode myself (I'm getting there!) so this comes as a surprise to me. And not just
cleavage, her legs are exposed too
. Still doesn't top
Isha in a swimsuit
... that's a real eyebrow-raiser right there. Of course, that was never implemented (far as I know) and can only be seen by extracting the image from the game files. It might just be another joke image like the ones in Ys Eternal, it's kinda half-assed.

Top Bottom