• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Reknoc

^ The animation is quite funny. A tons of references and cameo from Falcom's games.

Yes I learned about it yesterday, shame only 5 eps are subbed :((((((( I also don't recognize like 90% of the characters because my entire Trails experience is like an hour of the first game lol

uQuiIKIl.jpg

the anime is: Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen / Everyone Assemble! Falcom Academy

Holykael1

Banned
Did you find yourself using the loot/crafting system a lot? I am currently progressing through that game (at the very fish boss that has been referenced earlier) and I'm finding difficult to ever want to upgrade my gear given the level of resources required and the fairly rapid rate I am acquiring new gear which makes the entire practice kinda pointless. I can see their being a tipping point where it becomes a lot more viable (and do wish their is one since I like the crafting concept) but currently I am barely touching it.

Save everything for the very best weapons(you will get them from the last blacksmith quest in the Fishing town.

jdkluv

yp5ABqS.jpg
what in the flying f...

Only impressive if you did it without abusing debug mode.

Wait, there's a debug mode in Ys VI for that?

Yes I learned about it yesterday, shame only 5 eps are subbed :((((((( I also don't recognize like 90% of the characters because my entire Trails experience is like an hour of the first game lol

uQuiIKIl.jpg

the anime is: Minna Atsumare! Falcom Gakuen / Everyone Assemble! Falcom Academy

You guys not using our Falcom Sub Team jpk subs? :(

Aeana

Falcom Gakuen is weird since the characters are nothing like how they are in the games. I was particularly put off by the portrayal of Lilia.

Aeana

Has anyone ever played the Sharp X68000 version of the first Ys? I just saw that on Chrontendo, it looked pretty...unique.
Yeah, I have. Bought it back when it came out. A lot of my friends avoided it because they didn't like the graphical style at all, I think it didn't sell particularly well. IIRC it came out after Ys 3 too and wasn't developed by Falcom anyway.

For me, I thought it looked neat. It reminded me of Xak and other such games visually.

Aeana

While trying to figure out what happened to the Xak 1 translation that got released on Woomb before it closed down, I found out that SD Snatcher got a high quality retranslation by the same person only a few months ago. Sadly, it seems like that Xak 1 translation will be unavailable for a while yet until the translator can work some stuff out.

Still, SD Snatcher finally having a high quality translation is amazing news, albeit off topic for this thread.

yaffi

I almost finished playing Ys Seven, but I'm kinda stuck at the final boss (not really stuck, just a bit angry at the game right now).

Who thought it was a good idea to
split up your party and force you to fight with all the character you didn't use even once during the game; also not allow the player to save between Tialuna and Rul-Ende
?

I liked Ys more when you only had one character you could control at a time.

jb1234

I almost finished playing Ys Seven, but I'm kinda stuck at the final boss (not really stuck, just a bit angry at the game right

Yup. That's when choosing to play the game on hard really bit me in the ass. I had to do a LOT of grinding.

yaffi

Yup. That's when choosing to play the game on hard really bit me in the ass. I had to do a LOT of grinding.

I might've been able to do it after the first try, but I was just too frustrated by Falcom's decision to do this.

But good thing I played through this on normal, I guess?

Holykael1

Banned
I almost finished playing Ys Seven, but I'm kinda stuck at the final boss (not really stuck, just a bit angry at the game right now).

Who thought it was a good idea to
split up your party and force you to fight with all the character you didn't use even once during the game; also not allow the player to save between Tialuna and Rul-Ende
?

I liked Ys more when you only had one character you could control at a time.

Yeah this was a bummer but I managed to overcome it by splitting my main party into the three groups, basically steam rolled the boss pretty easily, unfortunately Ys Seven lacks challenge, atleast in normal mode.

Yesterday, in Oath in Felghana, I beat Nightmare time attack and
Berhardt
. He was a pretty fun fight, but it's really a shame that you have to go through time attack again if you want to refight him.

Did you find yourself using the loot/crafting system a lot? I am currently progressing through that game (at the very fish boss that has been referenced earlier) and I'm finding difficult to ever want to upgrade my gear given the level of resources required and the fairly rapid rate I am acquiring new gear which makes the entire practice kinda pointless. I can see their being a tipping point where it becomes a lot more viable (and do wish their is one since I like the crafting concept) but currently I am barely touching it.

I usually exchange everything to its most powerful element, then smith Gold Ore into Gold Ingot and sell half of what I have in my inventory. It makes a lot of money and weapons can get pretty expensive. I also keep everything else for Synthesis and wait for weapon power up as soon as I get my final weapons.

The weapon pwer up system was much better in Felghana, it wasn't useless like in Celceta.

kiriin

Yeah this was a bummer but I managed to overcome it by splitting my main party into the three groups, basically steam rolled the boss pretty easily, unfortunately Ys Seven lacks challenge, atleast in normal mode.

Seven on Hard was fairly balance. The larger health pool and overall damage of bosses meant you couldn't yolo it and spam your potions.

jb1234

Seven on Hard was fairly balance. The larger health pool and overall damage of bosses meant you couldn't yolo it and spam your potions.

Yeah but the downside is that boss battles last forever and become endurance tests. In the end, I wish I had played the game on normal. It wasn't like Oath on Normal where the game was quite challenging but it was more memorizing patterns and figuring shit out.

As another user said, save all your materials for only 2 weapons. First is the first sword in the game (if you are going for trophies). 2nd is the last sword in the game (you need to find a special item in order to craft it.. no spoilers)

Having all 9s on all stats basically makes you invincible. Every attack you do heals you and causes EVERY status effect on the enemy.

Also makes doing the Nightmare trophy run a complete joke lol

What excellent timing for this thread, I have literally just started playing Memories of Celceta.
My brother!

I started playing 2 days ago - bought Celceta when it launched but it was the last thing that would fit on that memory card and I sorta forgot about it.

Damn this game is challenging!

Aru

Started Ys Origin last week, and about halfway through the tower now.
Great game, as usual with Ys. I started with Hugo because I wanted a different experience and Yunica was basically Adol with an axe, judging by the few minutes I spent playing as her.

Difficulty wise, on Normal setting, the game is about as easy as Napishtim, and so far less difficult than Felghana.

I heard only the third character can see the true ending and unlocking him only requires a single playthrough instead of 2, so I guess I'm not gonna play with Yunica.

The game seems short, so I don't mind playing it twice, but that should be enough.

Y's Celceta is like the perfect balance of cute Japanese RPG with a great battle system, combos, special attacks, and challenging but fair difficulty with plenty of exploring. It's like an advanced top-down Zelda. Why do so many JRPGs go for turn-based or some sort of bastardized 'not-really-straightforward live battles'?

I missed out on Y's because I never had a PS2 or PSP.

My question is this - why hasn't anyone else copied the formula? I could have fun with these kinds of games all day! (Yes, this is my first Y's game).

My brother!

I started playing 2 days ago - bought Celceta when it launched but it was the last thing that would fit on that memory card and I sorta forgot about it.

Damn this game is challenging!

Yeah, it can be tough. I actually started on nightmare due to my insane overconfidence but luckily the first boss stopped that madness and I bumped it down to hard. Thinking back and what I have done so far I could probably handle nightmare, it is not an unfair difficulty, but it would be slightly too much 'head butting against the wall' to be enjoyable in the long term.

Psxphile

Y's Celceta is like the perfect balance of cute Japanese RPG with a great battle system, combos, special attacks, and challenging but fair difficulty with plenty of exploring. It's like an advanced top-down Zelda. Why do so many JRPGs go for turn-based or some sort of bastardized 'not-really-straightforward live battles'?

My question is this - why hasn't anyone else copied the formula? I could have fun with these kinds of games all day! (Yes, this is my first Y's game).
Crystalis seems to have been crafted in a similar vein: quick, twitchy combat with fantastic music. It's an NES game, so keep your expectations in check.

Wasn't he the guy who wasn't really keen on a certain minority?
er... wrong thread?

Reknoc

if you're after a great action RPG outside of Ys then try Terranigma!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

What's a Y's?

Like many good games Ys games don't sell a whole lot so nobody really cares to make something very similar. Maybe that is changing with all the exposure recent releases are getting, especially on PC.

Holykael1

Banned

If you have a vita you can download the previous Ys games from PSN. Oath in Felghana and Ys Seven are amazing entries, even better than Celceta imo.
Ys Origin is another top notch entry but that one is Steam exclusive.
Ys I and II play very differently so you might not enjoy them as much but they are also available through PSN, they are ~30 year old games remade and ported a million times.

jdkluv

The Xanadu games (the newer ones) are kinda like Ys. Those are made by Falcom too.

I had tons of fun with Xanadu Next (PC).

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/xanadu/xanadu.htm

Huh? The only "recent" Xanadu game is Xanadu Next, and it plays nothing like Ys. It's more like Falcom's take on a Diablo-style Action RPG.

The older Xanadu games (Dragon Slayer II/Xanadu Scenario II/Faxanadu, The Legend of Xanadu I & II, Revival Xanadu I & II) plays a lot like Ys, since all of them use the bump-attack style battle system (except Faxanadu, but that was Hudson Soft). In fact, Ys was originally devised to be an easier, more approachable version of Xanadu.

If someone is eager for more classic Falcom Action-RPG goodness outside of Ys, do yourself a favor and go play The Legend of Xanadu and Brandish. Some of Falcom's best if you ask me. The latter one in particular is such an awesome and criminally underrated series.

Volcynika

BANISHED.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106908296&postcount=20

linkboy

Because it's a niche series (outside of Japan) in a genre that isn't nearly as popular as it used to be.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Because it's a niche series (outside of Japan) in a genre that isn't nearly as popular as it used to be.

No need to specify, IIRC Seven was the only Ys game on PSP to break 50k sales in Japan. And it was like 70k or something. It is niche everywhere.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I started playing the Ys 5 translation last weekend. Currently up to
the desert town of Felte
. Some thoughts:

I could see why the game is the 'black sheep' of the series (aside from 3). It really doesn't feel like a Ys game at all, it feels like a slightly-generic, solid-if-not-spectacular SNES action RPG:

-Ys 1-4 have such bright, primary-colored visuals. This game has a much more muted color palette, lots of beiges and greyish browns/greens/blues. It still looks great (aside from the Woodcutter's village). The game also lacks the anime cinematics and large character portraits of the other games.

-Instead of the 80's buttrock/synthpop common in the other Ys games, the music sounds like your typical SNES symphonic soundtrack.

-The menu system looks like a Square game from the era, with the blue gradient. Instead of the big icons for weapons/armor, they are displayed in a list.

-Movement speed is much slower, too. Adol feels more weighty...

-Dungeons lack the size and puzzle solving of the other Ys games. No finding unique items to help dungeon traversal (such as the mask that shows hidden passages).

-The biggest change is, of course, the jump and sword buttons. Sure, Ys 6 onward continued with these (well, 7 removed the jump), but those games are extremely zippy and the movement speed is much more in line with the other games.

-Where's Dogi? (Maybe he's in the game but I'm just not up to that part yet)

While I think it's a pretty decent game, it just doesn't feel like I'm playing a Ys game at all. Story is relatively basic but there's a few interesting characters working behind the scenes (I'm looking forward to learning more about Stoker's storyline, I like that he's a sort of tragic hero). The environments are pretty varied as far as SNES RPGs go, the towns and environments all have their unique art styles. My biggest problem with the game, when judged on its own merits (and not as a Ys game), is the magic system is lame. I don't like how magic leveling is separate from main leveling, and when you kill an enemy with a magic spell, you don't get gem drops (you sell gems to get money in this game).

linkboy

I started playing the Ys 5 translation last weekend. Currently up to
the desert town of Felte
. Some thoughts:

I could see why the game is the 'black sheep' of the series (aside from 3). It really doesn't feel like a Ys game at all, it feels like a slightly-generic, solid-if-not-spectacular SNES action RPG:

-Ys 1-4 have such bright, primary-colored visuals. This game has a much more muted color palette, lots of beiges and greyish browns/greens/blues. It still looks great (aside from the Woodcutter's village). The game also lacks the anime cinematics and large character portraits of the other games.

-Instead of the 80's buttrock/synthpop common in the other Ys games, the music sounds like your typical SNES symphonic soundtrack.

-The menu system looks like a Square game from the era, with the blue gradient. Instead of the big icons for weapons/armor, they are displayed in a list.

-Movement speed is much slower, too. Adol feels more weighty...

-Dungeons lack the size and puzzle solving of the other Ys games. No finding unique items to help dungeon traversal (such as the mask that shows hidden passages).

-The biggest change is, of course, the jump and sword buttons. Sure, Ys 6 onward continued with these (well, 7 removed the jump), but those games are extremely zippy and the movement speed is much more in line with the other games.

-Where's Dogi? (Maybe he's in the game but I'm just not up to that part yet)

While I think it's a pretty decent game, it just doesn't feel like I'm playing a Ys game at all. Story is relatively basic but there's a few interesting characters working behind the scenes (I'm looking forward to learning more about Stoker's storyline, I like that he's a sort of tragic hero). The environments are pretty varied as far as SNES RPGs go, the towns and environments all have their unique art styles. My biggest problem with the game, when judged on its own merits (and not as a Ys game), is the magic system is lame. I don't like how magic leveling is separate from main leveling, and when you kill an enemy with a magic spell, you don't get gem drops (you sell gems to get money in this game).

Which is why it needs a remake, badly. That, and it's currently the only game left in the series that Falcom hasn't tied into the overall story arc with a remake.

No need to specify, IIRC Seven was the only Ys game on PSP to break 50k sales in Japan. And it was like 70k or something. It is niche everywhere.

While that may be true, the series has been around for 20+ years, you don't get to keep making games for that long if they don't have some type of following. Ask a gamer in Japan about Ys and I have a hunch they've at least heard of it. Ask a gamer in the US about Ys and they'll look at you with a confused look on their face.

Psxphile

I imagine a Ys 5 remake will happen though probably after Ys 8.

No need to imagine, this has been Falcom's M.O. for the past few years regarding Ys: new title followed by a remake, followed by new title.

EDIT: Ys V will potentially be their last remake. Soon the cycle will break.

Reknoc

No need to imagine, this has been Falcom's M.O. for the past few years regarding Ys: new title followed by a remake, followed by new title.

EDIT: Ys V will potentially be their last remake. Soon the cycle will break.

well yes, i'm like 90% sure of it happening, but it is still only 2 games so I dunno if that's really enough to be a pattern.

Though it would be silly not to since 5 is all thats left!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What did everyone else think of Ys 5? I'm up to what is seemingly the final dungeon now, I'm hoping that the final dungeon is this big sprawling expanse that takes 1/3 of the game like the other Ys games... so far the game's been pretty short.

Aeana

What did everyone else think of Ys 5? I'm up to what is seemingly the final dungeon now, I'm hoping that the final dungeon is this big sprawling expanse that takes 1/3 of the game like the other Ys games... so far the game's been pretty short.

I've been pretty vocal about Ys 5 over the years. There's a lot of stuff I like about it, but the combat is so dull. It reminds me of Soul Blazer games. I know those are sacred cows, but I don't like the combat in them either. And it's pretty darn similar to what's in Ys 5.

Top Bottom