• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Hudson Soft's Ys adaptations might as well be an alternate take on the mythos, traveling along the same path before wildly skewing into this alternate Ys continuity where Felghana takes place before Celceta and Adol (eventually) stops adventuring and marries his stalker.

Oh they totally are, no question about that, but I'll still happily take my alternate reality Ys because Dawn is just that awesome.

rpr0Bih.jpg

so awesome

Psxphile

Now, it's been awhile since I last played Dawn but surely that up there never actually happens? Seems Dawn's artwork has its own continuity separate from the game it promotes. :p

jdkluv

Bah! No guitar in the background and no Yonemitsu synths means it crap sir! CRAP!

>not liking glorious FM synth

how is that even possible

So, by that logic, the original PC-88 soundtracks of Ys I, II and III are also "crap" because "No guitar in the background and no Yonemitsu synths means it crap sir! CRAP!", right?

Though honestly not a big fan of Ys IV JDK Special. I quite like a lot of the other synth albums, but when it comes to Ys IV, the Perfect Collections cannot be beat.

The thing is, the Ys IV J.D.K. Special(s) contains recordings of the original version every single track from the soundtrack of Ys IV that Falcom gave to Hudson Soft and Tonkin House to make their own versions for The Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun. It's not much different than Ys I, II and III for the PC-88 except it uses a superior sound chip, which means it sounds even better than these and with a quality akin to Falcom PC-98 soundtracks.

So, yeah, saying that the original FM (PC-88) version of Ys III music is "god-tier" but disliking the Ys IV J.D.K. Special(s) makes no sense at all.

Agreed that Mieko Ishikawa is amazing. Disagree on the boss music, and do so heartily. Ys IVs boss music is probably my least favorite in the series V excepted. Strongest Foe sits up there with Darm as my favorite in the series.

Ys IV's boss themes are superior and fits much better than the ones from Ys I, II and III. Battle #58, A Great Ordeal and In the Fires of Ignition are all amazing tracks and pump epic battling into your bloodstream. Ys III just has The Strongest Foe and it only taps its full potential on the PC-Engine CD, OiF and some arranged albums (Wanderers SAV/J.D.K. Band 2/Boss Zanmai).

The Sorcerian Expansion Disks (also Ishikawa) have much better boss music than Ys III. In fact I'd say I consider them Ishikawa's finest effort on the PC-88.

Thing is, for me Ys III has songs I like better, AND more songs that I like total. Ys IV is no slouch, as I said. But outside of Dancing in the Road, I can't think of a song from Ys III that I dislike. The soundtrack is perfection. Morning Departure still gives me all the feels whenever I hear it.

You only posted 12 or so Ys III tracks, while I posted more than 20 tracks from Ys IV. Ys IV's soundtrack is also perfection in my eyes -- The Opening, the town themes (although I don't care about that U̶l̶t̶r̶a̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶L̶e̶o̶ ̶r̶i̶p̶-̶o̶f̶f̶ I Want to be Kind), the field themes, the character themes, the battle themes, the "shit just got real" themes, the mellow endings tunes... One of Falcom Sound Team jdk's finest efforts and perhaps the Ys soundtrack with the most personality.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Seal of Time
Snare of Darkness
Steeling the Will to Fight
Tearful Twilight
Wanderers from Ys

Wanderers from Ys blows my mind every time I hear it. Good god, Ishikawa was a magician with that FM. Listen to that track at around 1:17 and be amazed.

So good.

1Xx9MPz.png

But again, my issue isn't the arrangements per se, it's the fact that they cut out over half of the soundtrack that it was based on. That KILLS me. Ys games should never reuse music in dungeons. I mean that's inexcusable.

Ys I & II Book doesn't have Protectors in! Inferior version confirmed! [/joking]

Celceta ain't the "The Oath in Celceta" or "Ys IV Eternal" I've been lusting after for years, and in general feels like one huge, disorganized mess. I enjoyed the game a lot and it was worth buying a PSVita for it alone, but it should've just been Ys 8 with longer development cycle and with nothing to do with anything related to Ys IV.

But yeah, totally agree with you on this one. The lack of Karna's theme in particular disturbs me the most :(

For Ys I and II this was true until Chronicles, where they knocked it out of the park. Chronicles was AMAZING! For Ys III, I have to give the nod to OiF, though I say that with a heavy heart, and not a little indecision, both are amazing. For Ys IV, most assuredly.

Overall, I find the TG-16 CD arrangements of Ys I & II music overrated except for some exceptions (First Steps, Final Battle, Ruins of Moondoria, Palace of Solomon, Subterranean Canal, etc.). The arranged tracks by Yonemitsu on the Perfect Collection albums were much superior.

I'd fix that "this was true until Chronicles" for "this was true until Complete". Chronicles was pretty good, but Complete is IMO the best incarnation of Ys I & II music.

For Ys III TG-16 CD, it's definitely up there with OiF. For The Dawn of Ys, I'd say yes if it weren't for those slowed-down versions of a few tracks (Burning Sword, Valley of Quicksand), but at least features the best versions of some of my favorite tracks, like Battle #58, A Great Ordeal or Walking the Path of Legend. But overall I say I prefer the Ys IV J.D.K. Special(s) -- the fast, steady beats and the enhanced drums and bass really makes some of my favourite tracks stand out.

Fun question:

What are everyone's favorite intro tracks from the Ys series?

I'll start with the best remix of a classic:

Dawn of Ys - Falcom Spring 2008

God bless the JDK Band.

1) To Make the End of Battle
2) Release the Far West Ocean
3) Can't choose between Genesis Beyond the Beginning and The Dawn of Ys without feeling bad :-/

Not sure how can that be the original when 1) Mask of the Sun was released before The Dawn of Ys and 2) The J.D.K. Special IS the original version.

jRwo32R.jpg

This is my favourite rendition/design of Adol. That stern look, those pieces of armour, the flowing scarf and his pose all yell out that Adol is motherfucking ready for adventure.

Fans (also) improved on that -- meet Adol da Pimp:

RaXyjHT.gif

He's so swag :D

Holykael1

Banned
Not sure how can that be the original when 1) Mask of the Sun was released before The Dawn of Ys and 2) The J.D.K. Special IS the original version.

Fans (also) improved on that -- meet Adol da Pimp:

RaXyjHT.gif

He's so swag :D

I meant original, as in original sound version from the actual game Dawn of Ys.
Agreed on Adol da Pimp.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Just regarding point 1, Mask began development after Dawn and was rushed to get it out first. Hudson actually initiated the whole project so teeeechnically Dawn was the original IV. It wasn't until like 10 years later that they actually declared Mask to be canon.

Aeana

Being the "original 4" has no meaning since neither game was developed by Falcom nor free of creative liberties by their respective developers. There's no original vision in either game.

eXistor

I hate that Seven and Celceta have an increased focus on (completely unoriginal and generic) story and characters that I don't care about, They should go back to focusing on gameplay like the old ones. I like Celceta, but damn, even skipping all the cutscenes takes way too much time. I just want Adol dammit.

Holykael1

Banned
I hate that Seven and Celceta have an increased focus on (completely unoriginal and generic) story and characters that I don't care about, They should go back to focusing on gameplay like the old ones. I like Celceta, but damn, even skipping all the cutscenes takes way too much time. I just want Adol dammit.

Each to it's own but the story and characters of both of those games are not as bad as you make them out to be. In fact, how do you even know they are unoriginal and generic if you are obviously skipping them.. Admittedly Celceta takes a while to pick up but Seven's story is far from terrible even from the beginning.
It seems more aversion to "anime" looking things and instantly dismissing them by your part than an actual fair assessment but whatever..

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Each to it's own but the story and characters of both of those games are not as bad as you make them out to be. In fact, how do you even know they are unoriginal and generic if you are obviously skipping them.. Admittedly Celceta takes a while to pick up but Seven's story is far from terrible even from the beginning.
It seems more aversion to "anime" and instantly dismissing them by your part than an actual fair assessment but whatever..

Seven's story was enough to get you from point A to point B, and I thought the characters were likeable. That's really all I'm asking from it. That said, the half hour-long slog, setting up the story at the beginning of Seven, was a definite turn-off. They could've handled it a lot better.

Taruranto

Being the "original 4" has no meaning since neither game was developed by Falcom nor free of creative liberties by their respective developers. There's no original vision in either game.

Reading around the Internet, Falcom original vision of 4 seemed much more interesting than what we got.

Hopefully they decides to remake it one day.

Seven is definitely my favorite in terms of art style. So glad they changed it from this:

:|

We don't talk about "that".

Levyne

Banned
I'm with you eXistor. I don't mind the party mechanic if they can decouple it from a bloated narrative presence.

I liked Seven's narrative presence and character building... =(

To me, what I found important was that Seven did not sacrifice gameplay and content for the sake of the story. There were additions that blended to give more to the world, character, dungeons and motivations, but Seven was as plentiful an adventure as any other Ys, even with its longer story and cutscenes.

Besides, it was those additions that also gave enjoyable story moments like shirtless Adol being a total badass. That scene worked because it had the foundation of a stronger narrative.

My opinion of course. :/

Taruranto

Add me to the people that disliked 7 (haven't played Celceta) focus on narrative. It wasn't so bad in the beginning, but ugh, the last part of the game was so obnoxious. The NPC were a total bore too, which it's a shame since both Felgana and Ark had interesting towns.

Holykael1

Banned

Amnesia is a common Ys Trope, ever since Ys I in fact. Just because it's cliché it doesn't mean it's automatically bad.. It was used in a rather unique way in Celceta and it allowed for us to learn more about Adol's past by prying into his childhood memories.
So yeah..Just a matter of perspective, if you want to be dense and immediately write it all off without even seeing it.. go ahead that's your prerogative. The second you skip them however you lose your right to fairly judge them.. Unless you want to be seen as a shallow fool ofc.

I liked Seven's narrative presence and character building... =(

To me, what I found important was that Seven did not sacrifice gameplay and content for the sake of the story. There were additions that blended to give more to the world, character, dungeons and motivations, but Seven was as plentiful an adventure as any other Ys, even with its longer story and cutscenes.

Besides, it was those additions that also gave enjoyable story moments like shirtless Adol being a total badass. That scene worked because it had the foundation of a stronger narrative.

My opinion of course. :/

My man!

Levyne

Banned
Amnesia is a common Ys Trope, ever since Ys I in fact. Just because it's cliché it doesn't mean it's automatically bad.. It was used in a rather unique way in Celceta and it allowed for us to learn more about Adol's past by prying into his childhood memories.
So yeah..Just a matter of perspective, if you want to be dense and immediately write it all off without even seeing it.. go ahead that's your prerogative. The second you skip them however you lose your right to fairly judge them.. Unless you want to be seen as a shallow fool ofc.

Is this really necessary?

Dio

Banned
A teenager with amnesia finding himself carrying a sword would be more likely to freak out and be flabbergast on why he has a sword, not come to the immediate conclusion "oh, I'm a swordsman."

He's 17 years old in Celceta.

He actually doesn't have a sword in that scene. He's remembering a faint memory where someone mentions a relation to swords, and he's like...was I a swordsman?

I think you're remembering it wrong.

He actually doesn't have a sword in that scene. He's remembering a faint memory where someone mentions a relation to swords, and he's like...was I a swordsman?

I think you're remembering it wrong.

I don't have Celceta. That was me surmising what I thought that scene looked to be, since it was apparently used as a debunking point to argue that the game had a poor story. Thanks for the correction.

... If that's the case, amnesia plotline doesn't immediately make for a bad story. That's prejudice. (-_-;)

Holykael1

Banned
I don't have Celceta. That was me surmising what I thought that scene looked to be, since it was apparently used as a debunking point to argue that the game had a poor story. Thanks for the correction.

... If that's the case, amnesia plotline doesn't immediately make for a bad story. That's prejudice. (-_-;)

Indeed, it's actually used in a rather cool way and it's also an incentive for exploration, you can find Adol's memories all over the forest and some of them even relate to his childhood memories.

Dio

Banned
In non-Ys related news, it's looking more and more like BoF's Zwei 2 translation was simply bought out from under them by Xseed. Looking forward to it, it's a well loved Falcom game and I've been waiting to play it for ages.

Holykael1

Banned
In non-Ys related news, it's looking more and more like BoF's Zwei 2 translation was simply bought out from under them by Xseed. Looking forward to it, it's a well loved Falcom game and I've been waiting to play it for ages.

For a second there I read Breath of Fire. Nonetheless this is really cool news, Zwei II is for pc right?

Dio

Banned
For a second there I read Breath of Fire. Nonetheless this is really cool news, Zwei II is for pc right?

It sure is. Zwei II Plus is actually Windows 8 compatible now, since Falcom keeps updating their games and keeps physical editions in stock to ship out internationally on their site with labels saying 'windows 8 compatible' on them.

They have the coolest boxes:

http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/961.html
http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/963.html
http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/955.html
http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/960.html

I own several of those myself physically just because I like the box art so much.

Holykael1

Banned
It sure is. Zwei II Plus is actually Windows 8 compatible now, since Falcom keeps updating their games and keeps physical editions in stock to ship out internationally on their site with labels saying 'windows 8 compatible' on them.

They have the coolest boxes:

http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/961.html
http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/963.html
http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/955.html
http://www.falcom.co.jp/mailorder/catalog/960.html

I own several of those myself physically just because I like the box art so much.

What comes inside the Ys I and II chronicles box? Some kind of artbook?

Dio

Banned
What comes inside the Ys I and II chronicles box? Some kind of artbook?

I own the PSP version of Chronicles, so I didn't buy it again, but I'm pretty sure they don't include artbooks in standard editions. That would be a lot of money for them.

Aeana

It's not but baseless dismissive atittudes provoke negative reactions on me. I will try to hold back the saltyness next time.
I've seen enough complaints about your penchant for using insulting language toward people who hold differing positions than you that I would say this is a good idea.

Het_Nkik

Seeing all this Dawn of Ys vs Mask of the Sun talk is interesting to me. I was only able to play Mask of the Sun since I don't have a TurboGrafx-CD and I don't do emulation. But I thought Mask was really good. It was my second Ys game (after Oath) and my first experience with the "bump" system. But it was fun and I was really impressed with some of the graphics.

I do plan on getting a TurboDuo or something SOME time in the future. So is Dawn worth playing if I've already played Mask?

Holykael1

Banned
I've seen enough complaints about your penchant for using insulting language toward people who hold differing positions than you that I would say this is a good idea.

You know what, this was an eye opener, I do apologize for being offensive. I am overly sensitive about negativity towards things I feel passionate about, it's not that I don't respect and even dislike the idea that people have differing positions(in fact the world would very boring if everyone was like me), I am self conscious about it for what it's worth and I am trying to fix it, it's just that sometimes I feel like people are being unreasonable in the delivery of said opinions, like for instance "I skip all the cutscenes but I still conclude this story is trash" type of thing. And hey even if I disagree with someone I am perfectly aware that their view is just as valid as mine, we are dealing with an extremely subjective topic after all.

I will refrain from having an antagonistic tone and simply discuss the actual subject matter because I have nothing to gain from it except for momentary petty satisfaction , it's not worth it when later I feel like somewhat of a douchebag.

The reason I am being so open and transparent about this is because I don't want people to get the wrong idea of me.(even if this post is embarrassing and awkward, I feel like honesty and self reflection is the best way to deal with situations of this nature).

Anyway:

Ys Oath in Felghana - Believe in your heart - This is awesome

>not liking glorious FM synth

how is that even possible

So, by that logic, the original PC-88 soundtracks of Ys I, II and III are also "crap" because "No guitar in the background and no Yonemitsu synths means it crap sir! CRAP!", right?

I like FM synth, and as I hope you can tell I was being facetious. However I DO much prefer the Perfect Collection version for the reasons I mentioned. As I prefer the other mixes of Ys III as well. Ys III's FM impresses the hell out of me because of how much Ishikawa did with relatively little FM capability on the PC-88. Ys IV, again has a great OST, but the FM versions do less for me than on other soundtracks.

The JDK Quickening of the Ancient City is pretty sweet though I will admit.

The thing is, the Ys IV J.D.K. Special(s) contains recordings of the original version every single track from the soundtrack of Ys IV that Falcom gave to Hudson Soft and Tonkin House to make their own versions for The Dawn of Ys and Mask of the Sun. It's not much different than Ys I, II and III for the PC-88 except it uses a superior sound chip, which means it sounds even better than these and with a quality akin to Falcom PC-98 soundtracks.

So, yeah, saying that the original FM (PC-88) version of Ys III music is "god-tier" but disliking the Ys IV J.D.K. Special(s) makes no sense at all.

It's not about sense, it's about personal taste. Ys IV just doesn't do it for me in the way that Ys I-III do. It's still the 4th best OST, in the series, edging out Origin. However, I think the strength of the tracks best shows in the Yonemitsu perfect collections.

Ys IV's boss themes are superior and fits much better than the ones from Ys I, II and III. Battle #58, A Great Ordeal and In the Fires of Ignition are all amazing tracks and pump epic battling into your bloodstream. Ys III just has The Strongest Foe and it only taps its full potential on the PC-Engine CD, OiF and some arranged albums (Wanderers SAV/J.D.K. Band 2/Boss Zanmai).

The Sorcerian Expansion Disks (also Ishikawa) have much better boss music than Ys III. In fact I'd say I consider them Ishikawa's finest effort on the PC-88.

We're not going to agree on the boss music though. Ys IV has probably my least favorite final boss music of the older series, and while the other boss stuff is good, it's not amazing. Ys IVs best tracks are its field/dungeon tunes, by far.

Will listen to the Sorcerian expansion stuff when I get the chance.

You only posted 12 or so Ys III tracks, while I posted more than 20 tracks from Ys IV. Ys IV's soundtrack is also perfection in my eyes -- The Opening, the town themes (although I don't care about that U̶l̶t̶r̶a̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶L̶e̶o̶ ̶r̶i̶p̶-̶o̶f̶f̶ I Want to be Kind), the field themes, the character themes, the battle themes, the "shit just got real" themes, the mellow endings tunes... One of Falcom Sound Team jdk's finest efforts and perhaps the Ys soundtrack with the most personality.

I only picked about 12 because I didn't want to toss up the entire soundtrack. Ys III again, just doesn't have a bad track in my eyes, save MAYBE Dancing in the Road. Even that one isn't horrible, just kinda meh. I just like the Wanderers stuff better, and as I said, it has more tracks that I can listen to nonstop than Ys IV does. It's that simple.

Ys I & II Book doesn't have Protectors in! Inferior version confirmed! [/joking]

Celceta ain't the "The Oath in Celceta" or "Ys IV Eternal" I've been lusting after for years, and in general feels like one huge, disorganized mess. I enjoyed the game a lot and it was worth buying a PSVita for it alone, but it should've just been Ys 8 with longer development cycle and with nothing to do with anything related to Ys IV.

But yeah, totally agree with you on this one. The lack of Karna's theme in particular disturbs me the most :(

Yeah, the difference is 1 song missing compared to about 30. Karna's theme being missing is a crime. Memories is a fine game, but for the first time in forever, an Ys game felt a bit unpolished and rushed. Just not what I expected.

Though I suppose I should be used to Falcom crushing my dreams when it comes to what they pick for soundtracks. The fact that neither Adol's Theme nor Lair's Poem have been reused officially in an Ys game makes me sad. Lair's Poem especially is SUCH a good track, and would have fit perfect into either Complete or Origin.

Holykael1

Banned
Yeah, the difference is 1 song missing compared to about 30. Karna's theme being missing is a crime. Memories is a fine game, but for the first time in forever, an Ys game felt a bit unpolished and rushed. Just not what I expected.

Though I suppose I should be used to Falcom crushing my dreams when it comes to what they pick for soundtracks. The fact that neither Adol's Theme nor Lair's Poem have been reused officially in an Ys game makes me sad. Lair's Poem especially is SUCH a good track, and would have fit perfect into either Complete or Origin.

Ys Celceta was originally a PSP game and it was suddenly changed to Vita, they were probably on a deadline and couldn't properly optimize and polish up the game.
I agree, it does feel a little bit unpolished but it still came out awesome., it had potential to be much better but atleast for me it was still a 5 star game. I would rank it as the 4th best game in the series after seven, origin and oath, ironically.

Danny Dudekisser

Ys Celceta was originally a PSP game and it was suddenly changed to Vita, they were probably on a deadline and couldn't properly optimize and polish up the game.
I agree, it does feel a little bit unpolished but it still came out awesome., it had potential to be much better but atleast for me it was still a 5 star game. I would rank it as the 4th best game in the series after seven, origin and oath, ironically.

The technical issues were too much for me. It's like a 3.5/5 game for me. I like it a lot, but it's probably my least favorite of the newer Ys games.

Holykael1

Banned
The technical issues were too much for me. It's like a 3.5/5 game for me. I like it a lot, but it's probably my least favorite of the newer Ys games.

I was able to overlook the framerate because it didn't happen very often and the game was still very much responsive, quick and snappy.
It also helped that the game was very heavy on lore and it had awesome music like - Harlequin's Temptation, Morning After the Storm and Ancient Land. I did also thoroughly enjoy the exploration and the characters even if the game was fairly uneventful during the first half.
I can definitely understand the problems people have with it though.

Danny Dudekisser

I was able to overlook the framerate because it didn't happen very often and the game was still very much responsive, quick and snappy.
It also helped that the game was very heavy on lore and it had awesome music like - Harlequin's Temptation, Morning After the Storm and Ancient Land. I did also thoroughly enjoy the exploration and the characters even if the game was fairly uneventful during the first half.
I can definitely understand the problems people have with it though.

I dunno, I felt like the frame rate was constantly fluctuating... but then, I'm pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

Anyway, the music was pretty solid. My personal favorite song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZeWNN6Tulw&list=PLKUziPE9Y-BsWUm-y8SvV5_Jpiw96U5mr

Reminds me of the Chrono Cross OST.

Levyne

Banned
Going to Celceta after playing all of the Steam entries made the framerate pretty jarring. It was also one of my first retail Vita games so maybe I had extra expectations. I was someone acclimated to it by the time I got to Seven on psp afterwards, though.

I was really high on Celceta, it was almost my GotY 2013, but I've mellowed on it I suppose. Still a pretty great game.

Lucumo

Add me to the people that disliked 7 (haven't played Celceta) focus on narrative. It wasn't so bad in the beginning, but ugh, the last part of the game was so obnoxious. The NPC were a total bore too, which it's a shame since both Felgana and Ark had interesting towns.

Was it only the narrative? It all felt like a downgrade compared to the previous games.
Haven't played Celceta either but sure hope it's not like Seven.

Psxphile

Wooh. Finally finished Memories. Took a break right before the final climatic battle in Iris to run around the map and fill out my journal/earn trophies. Put it in sleep mode and dropped it for two weeks whilst I played Pokemon Crystal. Oops.

I can see the complaints against the game's ending have some merit, but I don't see it as bad. Certainly not anywhere as fulfilling as Oath or Ark, I guess.

Reading around the Internet, Falcom original vision of 4 seemed much more interesting than what we got.

lol wut

Ah, I see what you're saying. But it's doubtful they're going to go back to that after pushing out the new Celceta. Next one on the remake list is Kefin, let's hope they decide to restore some of the cut content from that one. Also: deets on Ys 4 original vision? Just how "different" were the actual Ys IV games to it?

He's 17 years old in Celceta.
18, actually. 16 when he left his village, and 17 by the time he arrived in Esteria. So by Celceta he's 18... and legal.

Gotta build up that Steam catalog! Is there a Zweii 1? And why aren't we getting that first? Anyway, holding out hope for Gurumin PC... or would one be better off playing the PSP port?

I do plan on getting a TurboDuo or something SOME time in the future. So is Dawn worth playing if I've already played Mask?
If you thought Mask of the Sun's graphics were impressive than you'll be flabbergasted by Dawn of Ys. The bump system is even better there (diagonal movement, yo) and the music is ace. Also lots of voiced dialogue if you're into that sort of thing. The game feels significantly larger in scope than Mask, though I can't quote average play time for each. The story also takes some unexpected turns compared to Mask, so there's still an element of surprise as you go through it. Overall, just the better package.

If you're going to get a TurboDuo than it's imperative you get Ys Book I & II and Wanderers from Ys. Complete the Hudson Quadrilogy!

Holykael1

Banned
I dunno, I felt like the frame rate was constantly fluctuating... but then, I'm pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

Anyway, the music was pretty solid. My personal favorite song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZeWNN6Tulw&list=PLKUziPE9Y-BsWUm-y8SvV5_Jpiw96U5mr

Reminds me of the Chrono Cross OST.

That one is fantastic, I remember standing still for atleast 15 mins when I first arrived that town just to listen to the music and enjoy the ambience. It also reminded me of Lost Harmony Among People but with a more mysterious vibe instead of melancholy.

Dio

Banned
Gotta build up that Steam catalog! Is there a Zweii 1? And why aren't we getting that first? Anyway, holding out hope for Gurumin PC... or would one be better off playing the PSP port?

Since both games have been put on 'we can't say shit' notice, it's actually likely that BOTH are going to be released. However, it seems that Zwei 1 is like halfway done and the Zwei 2 TL is actually 100 percent completed, since Zwei 2 was finished right before Xseed theoretically contacted them (we don't actually know for sure).

http://bofgames.com/post/speak-no-evil-see-no-evil

As far as Zwei!! and Zwei 2 go, they're not abandoned projects, but....there's nothing I can really say about them at this time.

At the time, they were JUST about to release it, but suddenly they went dark and have been saying shit like this for months.

Pretty clear, huh?

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects

I was under the impression that Falcom only sketched a vague scenario, then left Hudson/Tonkin House to do their own thing with it, which is how they ended up with two mostly different games but with the same characters and roughly the same basic plot.

Maybe you mean Ys V? There was a scenario that was released in the Complete Works book that differed substantially from the released SFC game. The PS2 version integrated some elements from this design.

Aeana

I was under the impression that Falcom only sketched a vague scenario, then left Hudson/Tonkin House to do their own thing with it, which is how they ended up with two mostly different games but with the same characters and roughly the same basic plot.

Maybe you mean Ys V? There was a scenario that was released in the Complete Works book that differed substantially from the released SFC game. The PS2 version integrated some elements from this design.

Well, Falcom was making its own Ys 4 in partnership with Sega for Sega CD, so they definitely had a firm plan at some point.

Psxphile

Well, Falcom was making its own Ys 4 in partnership with Sega for Sega CD, so they definitely had a firm plan at some point.

They probably dropped it when they found out Sega wanted to change Adol into Sonic. :x

The Saturday morning cartoon show had a "great forest" in it, too...

Top Bottom