• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Community Thread | "Do you know the name Adol Christin?"

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
now if only I could find that image of him creeping out leering at Tia in an alley.

Honestly, who hasn't leered at destitute girls in an alley before?

That's taboo, but it's okay that he hangs out with freaky jungle bitches all day in Celceta?

Karna.jpg

Karna's a babe, but she's hardly waifu material.

BTW: careful about searching for pictures of Karna. Deviantart has taken a... strong liking to her.

One of the reasons I love the Ys games so much is because of their relatively short lengths. They rarely seem to overstay their welcome. I think I have played through Ys I in it's various incarnations over 20 times because of this. But I can't say that I appreciated how long 7 ended up being. The perfect Ys game length-wise for me is probably Oath.

The short lengths also lend themselves to series playthroughs (minus Ys 5 heh). Can't think of many ongoing RPG (or action RPG) series that I could realistically play through without getting burnt out.

Also, is Celceta longer than 7?

Holykael1

Banned
One of the reasons I love the Ys games so much is because of their relatively short lengths. They rarely seem to overstay their welcome. I think I have played through Ys I in it's various incarnations over 20 times because of this. But I can't say that I appreciated how long 7 ended up being. The perfect Ys game length-wise for me is probably Oath.

The short lengths also lend themselves to series playthroughs (minus Ys 5 heh). Can't think of many ongoing RPG (or action RPG) series that I could realistically play through without getting burnt out.

Also, is Celceta longer than 7?

Celceta is about 30 hours long.

PKrockin

Guilen is the one boss in Oath in Felghana I dislike. The fight just drags on for forever because he has so much health, hitting him is a pain in the ass, and he basically takes less and less damage the further in you get.
Most of the fight went fast enough for me... much faster than the statue boss without the fire powerup, doing 3 damage at a time usually... but when he gets down to 300 health or so I can't hit him. he just keeps buzzing around my head unpredictably like a fly, constantly changing altitude, flying away, just being a dick. Doesn't help that I'm still having trouble judging depth in this game. On that next boss on the bridge for example, I had a hard time telling whether he was in the background or above the bridge. Is it just me?

jb1234

I was about to ask when the heck they introduce charging magic but I just found an Emerald. I was supposed to find a jewel for my fire bracelet for the statue boss earlier, wasn't I...

Yup, it's just before him. You beat that guy without it? Must have taken ages.

kiriin

They're about the same in length. Finished both Seven and Celceta within 20hrs, didn't do a lot of the sidequest tho.

PKrockin

Yup, it's just before him. You beat that guy without it? Must have taken ages.
It sure did. I was wondering if I was supposed to grind or something, but I had no idea what if anything affects magic damage, so I figured I was just doing a really awful job of hitting its weak point, whatever it was. Well, at least I've got that boss down for the nightmare run if I'm crazy enough to attempt one.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Okay, I take back what I said. That's some To Catch a Predator kind of look on Adol's face.
He's not staring at either of the girls though. They're all looking in the same direction - towards the viewer, or whoever's just outside of the frame.

Karna is pump and dump material, not a waifu. She doesn't have Tia's birthing hips, nor does she have the "choir girl, wanna protect her from her cray-cray brother" thing like Elena.

Oh jeez...

He's not staring at either of the girls though. They're all looking in the same direction - towards the viewer, or whoever's just outside of the frame.

So you say, but he's CLEARLY getting the girls drunk on dark rum Mojitos.
They say it's mint tea, but don't believe them.

Danny Dudekisser

Well that certainly got a reaction.

Sorry, guys. That's just how Waifu Wars is played, and the opinions herein do not represent me, other players, or the sport as a whole.

In any case, Adol is interested in precisely none of them.

Psxphile

That ugliness aside...

Sure, there's a way. I'm playing it full-screen. Just choose a 4:3 resolution (I think the highest I could choose was 1400x1050).
You might have to change some settings for your video card, I think they stretch 4:3 images by default.

I did that for Origin when I first played it. Haven't looked at the NVidia drivers but in my AMD drivers at the time I just had to uncheck a scaling option and it worked in 4:3 with black bars.

Well, there wasn't anything in AMD Catalyst that worked but I tried right-clicking the game's EXE and checked under Compatibility: if you tick Disable display scaling on high DPI settings it seems to do the trick, I'm now playing in 4:3 full-screened and black-barred. Thanks for helping me stumble onto the solution!

kuroshiki

Karna is pump and dump material, not a waifu. She doesn't have Tia's birthing hips, nor does she have the "choir girl, wanna protect her from her cray-cray brother" thing like Elena.

Karna certainly is a waifu material brother. What are you talking about?

I can guarantee you that she is more than capable of

1. feeding you AND your offsprings. she's a hunter. Not sure if she can cook, but she certainly can bring the goods.
2. taking care of HERSELF.

Out of all YS girls I agree that she is not top 10 'trophy waifu' list, but definitely doable.

In any case, Adol is interested in precisely none of them.

except feena. his only true love. (awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww)

except feena. his only true love. (awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww)

Everyone knows that Dogi is Adol's OTP. I mean it's obvious.

Anyhow, moving on, what is everyone's favorite art style from the History of Ys, right now I'm torn between The Ys V - Ys Eternal stuff, and the Ys VI-Origin stuff. They are all so good.

Aeana

That has been plenty of sexualizing the girls in this series. You are making other members uncomfortable. Enough.

Danny Dudekisser

Anyhow, moving on, what is everyone's favorite art style from the History of Ys, right now I'm torn between The Ys V - Ys Eternal stuff, and the Ys VI-Origin stuff. They are all so good.

I've always been a fan of Ys VI's art. It still feels very anime-ish, but just removed enough to stand out as something unique. By the time they got to Origin, it wasn't quite anime enough anymore.

Edit: Yeah, this is what's up:

ysartbook19.jpg

Anyone else think an Ys Metroidvania would be awesome? I mean, keep the ARPG elements and stuff, but make it 2d (again) and kinda like SOTN?

I think that would be awesome. Even if its just a gaiden title.

Dio

Banned

My personal two favorites, not particularly from that book, but from the series in general, are when they brought in the Baccano artist for Ys Seven and the art in Dawn of Ys.

jRwo32R.jpg

and

rVlX71Il.jpg

xyQxHlD.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

My personal two favorites, not particularly from that book, but from the series in general, are when they brought in the Baccano artist for Ys Seven and the art in Dawn of Ys.

Huh... I never realized they had the Baccano artist on-board, but now that I look at the Adol picture... yeah, I kinda see it.

Though as much as I love Baccano and Ys Seven's gameplay, I can't say I'm a huge fan of Seven's art.

Dio

Banned
Anyone else think an Ys Metroidvania would be awesome? I mean, keep the ARPG elements and stuff, but make it 2d (again) and kinda like SOTN?

Falcom already made a metroidvania-ish game, it's called Xanadu Next. Mix of Diablo and Metroid but with all the extraneous bullshit removed, it's a damn fine game.

Levyne

Banned
I dunno about "Metroidvania" but it could be cool if they built on the general framework of the single "dungeon" in Origin and expanded it to involve some of those elements. It would hopefully have some sort of clever wrinkle thrown in, but I can't think of an example at the moment.

But I really like Origin and hope we see a title similar to it at some point, in whatever fashion
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Falcom already made a metroidvania-ish game, it's called Xanadu Next. Mix of Diablo and Metroid but with all the extraneous bullshit removed, it's a damn fine game.

Oh, that's really interesting.

demidar

jRwo32R.jpg

This is my favourite rendition/design of Adol. That stern look, those pieces of armour, the flowing scarf and his pose all yell out that Adol is motherfucking ready for adventure.

Levyne

Banned
I agree with that. Too bad the artwork wasn't super-well realized in the game itself. PSP was just too limiting I suppose.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Agree with both of these. Enami Katsumi's character designs in Seven are lovely, as they were in Zero no Kiseki. Whoever is doing Falcom's current stuff (Celceta/Sen no Kiseki), I can say I'm not the biggest fan. Really not feeling Adol's new hoodie either. :p

Adol has never looked more badass than he does in Dawn of Ys.

vCXy1AT.jpg

Levyne

Banned
I need to play the other "Ys IV's" (Dawn and Mask?) since I often hear how much better they were then Celceta. It would be interesting to compare, at any rate.

Dio

Banned
I need to play the other "Ys IV's" (Dawn and Mask?) since I often hear how much better they were then Celceta. It would be interesting to compare, at any rate.

Celceta is a great game, and I love it, but there's something special about Dawn of Ys for me that it didn't replicate.

By the way, the far better of the two games is Dawn. Mask of the Sun wasn't nearly as good, but before Celceta it was considered the canon one, because Adol actually settles down in Dawn of Ys and it's literally a direct sequel to Ys I & II. As seen in the picture I posted above, it even opens with the final battle of Ys II.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Celceta is a great game, and I love it, but there's something special about Dawn of Ys for me that it didn't replicate.

By the way, the far better of the two games is Dawn. Mask of the Sun wasn't nearly as good, but before Celceta it was considered the canon one, because Adol actually settles down in Dawn of Ys.

yesssss

hqdefault.jpg

mrlion

I would so go back to play Ys but every time I do I always have trouble with the music it doesn't loop at least on Steam versions so the music plays and it stops after its duration and I dont hear music until I either zone somewhere or some event happens. So I can't really enjoy them considering they have fantastic soundtracks.

I've been pretty interested in this game for a while. I feel like I have got to play it someday: it seems really legit.

That has been plenty of sexualizing the girls in this series. You are making other members uncomfortable. Enough.

Agree with both of these. Enami Katsumi's character designs in Seven are lovely, as they were in Zero no Kiseki. Whoever is doing Falcom's current stuff (Celceta/Sen no Kiseki), I can say I'm not the biggest fan. Really not feeling Adol's new hoodie either. :p

Adol has never looked more badass than he does in Dawn of Ys.

vCXy1AT.jpg

That really is one of my favorite pieces of art from the Ys series. Was that a Falcom commission or was it done by Hudson. Lines get blurred in the Ys IV era.

But still, the art throughout the series is great. I mean Seven isn't my favorite, but dear god when you have art like this:

ys75.jpg

you know you're top tier. I think that image may be Adol's most badass.

I'm one of the few who prefers Mask over Dawn. Dawn is a good game, a great game actually, but to me it ends up being Ys II 2 if you catch my meaning. Same magic, a weaker overall story, and it doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the Falcom Ys games. Dawn also shits on canon. OTOH the music is better, and the animation and controls are a bit sharper too.

Mask to me, feels more like the next in the series to me, the magic is based on something other than wands (Ys games never share a magic system), the story on the whole makes more sense, and the game doesn't feel like a complete retread of Ys II. It feels more like it's own thing.

How does the battle system works in Ys I&II? Can I only damage enemies by bumping them diaginally (from the front)?

No.

The safest way is to hit them from the side or behind.

Assuming that isn't possible, then you have to try to hit them off center. Kinda just hitting the edge of the sprite with the edge of Adol's sprite.

Levyne

Banned
But still, the art throughout the series is great. I mean Seven isn't my favorite, but dear god when you have art like this:

ys75.jpg

you know you're top tier.

This whole part of Seven took me a little by surprise. Suddenly torture :eek:

I mean, sure it was a little hammy but it wasn't something I was expecting.

Psxphile

That has been plenty of sexualizing the girls in this series.
Agreed. Time to sexualize the guys. Equal representation and all that.

No? Hm... yeah, let's move on.

I've always been a fan of Ys VI's art. It still feels very anime-ish, but just removed enough to stand out as something unique. By the time they got to Origin, it wasn't quite anime enough anymore.
Not really a fan of the doe-eyed promotional artwork of VI. Preferred the in-game portrait's style.

I dunno about "Metroidvania" but it could be cool if they built on the general framework of the single "dungeon" in Origin and expanded it to involve some of those elements. It would hopefully have some sort of clever wrinkle thrown in, but I can't think of an example at the moment.
I like the cut of your combined jib. Doesn't seem likely Ys will ever return to a 2D side-scrolling game, though.

jRwo32R.jpg

This is my favourite rendition/design of Adol. That stern look, those pieces of armour, the flowing scarf and his pose all yell out that Adol is motherfucking ready for adventure.
I liked his green cape from Ys V. Unfortunately there's no trace of it on his sprite. Hell, there's barely any red other than his head.

By the way, the far better of the two games is Dawn. Mask of the Sun wasn't nearly as good, but before Celceta it was considered the canon one, because Adol actually settles down in Dawn of Ys and it's literally a direct sequel to Ys I & II. As seen in the picture I posted above, it even opens with the final battle of Ys II.

Hudson Soft's Ys adaptations might as well be an alternate take on the mythos, traveling along the same path before wildly skewing into this alternate Ys continuity where Felghana takes place before Celceta and Adol (eventually) stops adventuring and marries his stalker.

Top Bottom