• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT2| You just activated my trap card!

800Mwsu.png

Dragons of Legends Unleashed releases today. Rebranding of the OCG's Collectors Pack: Duelist of the Flash. Includes cards across the anime and manga that have yet to see a release (Cyber Angels, Planets, Zushin the Sleeping Giant, Numbers, Trains, Ciphers, and Cardians) and reprints of sought after cards from the previous Dragons of Legend (Eye of Timaeus and more Legendary Dragon cards).

Sent you a PM about Worlds Thread Fj.

Chase17

Any idea if worlds would be possible for someone just getting back into the game to follow? Think I'll give it a shot when it starts airing.

Enjoyed the first four episodes of Arc V. Yuya seems like a good protagonist. While I still don't fully understand pendulum summoning it seems interesting.

Also enjoyed a couple hours of Legacy of the Duelist. Maybe I should go check in the OT, but does anyone here happen to know if it's possible to turn of the battle animations?

Wiseblade

I have no clue how that ends up happening, I think it's happened multiple times now.

Yeah, I definitely remember hearing results from both at the same time. But this is the first time I've actively followed Worlds for either, so I don't know if the events actually overlapped before.

I really am obliged to watch Pokkén. I have multiple friends in attendance and have to watch Team EU outperform Team USA. It's kind of important.

Fj0823

Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity, please

Pot of Greed is a free card, no drawbacks, and can easily make games turn with just top decking it. However drew it first usually won the duel. and you could even activate more than 1 in the same turn

Nowadays, "Pot of" cards have much more extreme costs to make you actually pay fot the benefit of 2 new cards.

(Spoiler: This card will still be limited in the future, mark my words)

As for Graceful, Same thing however the fact that you get to DISCARD (not "Send to Grave") 2 cards is what makes it even more broken in decks that have cards such as;

Wiseblade

Kind of funny to look back at how many cards have been banned because what was supposed to be a painful drawback turned into a power play.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but two questions:

Has there ever been a North American re-release of uncut Duel Monsters(or the Japanese version)?

What is the status of the new movie? Is 4Kids handling it?

Dahbomb

Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity, please
These two cards were among the first cards to ever be printed for YGO and it was a wildly different game back then.

Card draw is a big big deal in YGO. A lot of current card draws in the game come with a heavy cost or have a heavy conditional (have X type of card in hand that you banish/send to graveyard).

Graceful Charity and Pot of Greed are free card cycles. Sending cards to graveyards is not at all a big deal in YGO, a lot of cards get their effects when they are sent to graveyard or have their effects activated while in graveyard. Pot of Greed is just free cards for no drawback. These two cards allow you to cycle through your deck extremely fast. Triple Pot of Greed into triple Charity means you can go through half of your deck instantly and that's game breaking considering they basically have no cost.

A lot of the cards that came out very early for YGO are usually either really terrible or really broken because they didn't really know how the game was supposed to be played as it was new. Some cards are less obvious as to why they were banned but usually it's because of some insane combo or because everyone ran the card because it was just that good.

Regiruler

The other 5-10% is that konami or the players didn't like dealing with them during tournaments, i.e. self-destruct button and final countdown.

The other 5-10% is that konami or the players didn't like dealing with them during tournaments, i.e. self-destruct button and final countdown.
Just looked up Self-destruct button. What a bullshit card. It literally exists only to bail your ass out and force a draw when you no longer have a chance at winning

Regiruler

That's actually not why self destruct got banned.

In official tournaments there is a time limit, usually 40 minutes. Self destruct button decks would keep tieing long enough to go into overtime, at which point you win by siding in burn cards (in overtime, whoever has fewer lifepoints once the 5 turns are over loses).

KingBroly

Banned
Pot of Greed is a free card, no drawbacks, and can easily make games turn with just top decking it. However drew it first usually won the duel. and you could even activate more than 1 in the same turn

Nowadays, "Pot of" cards have much more extreme costs to make you actually pay fot the benefit of 2 new cards.

(Spoiler: This card will still be limited in the future, mark my words)

As for Graceful, Same thing however the fact that you get to DISCARD (not "Send to Grave") 2 cards is what makes it even more broken in decks that have cards such as;

I don't understand how Pot of Desires is any good, tbh.

Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity were always limited AFAIK, so I really have to wonder what pushed them to banned status. Maybe GC was semi-limited at first, I forget. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with a card everybody runs for PoG. That one card's hilarious, though. GC into free summon lol

Unless it was Cyber Jar. That card. Beautiful. I loved playing that card back in the day. Then again, so did everyone else, lol.

But, if drawbacks are what drives card bans, why is Cyber-Stein banned?

The reasoning for why Desires is good is that duels can be over so quickly that you wouldn't have even been able to use the 10 cards banished for the cost of drawing cards that you can use immediately. It's also really good in decks that run 3 copies of their key cards (D/D/D) because the chance of banishing all your copies is low.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't understand how Pot of Desires is any good, tbh.

Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity were always limited AFAIK, so I really have to wonder what pushed them to banned status. Maybe GC was semi-limited at first, I forget. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with a card everybody runs for PoG. That one card's hilarious, though. GC into free summon lol

Unless it was Cyber Jar. That card. Beautiful. I loved playing that card back in the day. Then again, so did everyone else, lol.

Life point costs are nothing if you bring out something huge your opponent can't stop

Life/health is just another resource in like all games ever. Until you lose

I think some people consider cyber Stein fine enough to bring off the list now though. Since the big unstoppable monsters need to be summoned in specific ways these days

Regiruler

Is banish considered remove from game? I haven't played in a long time, just lurking, but that Pot of Desires could be amazing in a proper remove-from-game deck, no?
Yes, banish is remove from play. However nothing that is facedown will activate its effects (so no d.d. scout plane, or god forbid the dragon rulers), or have any traits other than being a card (so helios doesn't gain anything, although gren maju does, nor can you use burial from a different dimension nor god forbid return from a different dimension).
Life point costs are nothing if you bring out something huge your opponent can't stop

Life/health is just another resource in like all games ever. Until you lose

I think some people consider cyber Stein fine enough to bring off the list now though. Since the big unstoppable monsters need to be summoned in specific ways these days
Cyber Stein is still an incredibly cancerous card even with its LP cost. If you get it turn one you enable an unreasonably high ceiling for a first turn board's strength, which is a huge problem in the OCG right now (every major deck at the moment is known for its rediculous turn 1 plays, outside of possibly blue-eyes).

Gosh, they're getting more extreme with each pot card.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Cyber Stein is still an incredibly cancerous card even with its LP cost. If you get it turn one you enable an unreasonably high ceiling for a first turn board's strength, which is a huge problem in the OCG right now (every major deck at the moment is known for its rediculous turn 1 plays, outside of possibly blue-eyes).

What could it bring out right now that would be difficult to stop?

Fj0823

Is banish considered remove from game? I haven't played in a long time, just lurking, but that Pot of Desires could be amazing in a proper remove-from-game deck, no?

Yep, banish is the new term for removing from play

However, you can apply most effects targeting effects on face up banished cards.

Face down banished cards are pretty much gone as you cannot see their name or other stats.

latest

latest

KingBroly

Banned
"Draw 2 cards. If your don't win the game this turn, you lose the duel."

"Draw 5 cards. If you don't win the game with your next move, you are banned from Yu-Gi-Oh for life."

I'm going to guess there'll be a card in the future that allows players to look at their face-down banished cards and shuffle one back into your deck.

latest

"Draw 5 cards. If you don't win the game with your next move, you are banned from Yu-Gi-Oh for life."

I'm going to guess there'll be a card in the future that allows players to look at their face-down banished cards and shuffle one back into your deck.

PSY-Framelord Omega can at least bring a face down banished card back to the graveyard
and Necroface can shuffle them all back into the deck.

Dahbomb

That may seem like an extreme drawback but the upside is way more insane.

You could summon Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon (4500 Fusion monster), then Megamorph it (doubles attack of a monster if you have lower LPs, which you will because of Cyber Stein) and OTK your opponent... on the FIRST TURN.

Basically the effect resulted in pretty broken stuff because being able to cheat out monsters from your extra deck is really powerful.

KingBroly

Banned
That may seem like an extreme drawback but the upside is way more insane.

You could summon Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon (4500 Fusion monster), then Megamorph it (doubles attack of a monster if you have lower LPs, which you will because of Cyber Stein) and OTK your opponent... on the FIRST TURN.

Basically the effect resulted in pretty broken stuff because being able to cheat out monsters from your extra deck is really powerful.

But you can't attack on the first turn. Or can you somehow?

Unrelated, but I hope TCG's able to catch up with the OCG at some point.

Regiruler

That seems annoying, although I guess you can still set based on that, so you can at least stall until you get a trap or magic card that can deal with it
Dark hole is at 1 in the ocg, and it will most assuredly be combined with 2 more 2000+ monsters (they will use cyber stein last so as not to interfere with their play). You have only two turns to get an out.

Only consolation is that kirin becomes a lot slower to provide food for on their side, so they can't immediately summon again whatever they bounce.

KingBroly

Banned
My favorite card was, is, and forever will be Cyber Jar. Unlike that cheap chicken Yata-Garasu, it was actually a great, viable card.

1upsuper

Hello. I've played Yu-Gi-Oh off and on since it first hit the West, but I primarily play Magic now. I've been considering building a YGO deck though, since it seems to be gaining some more popularity among my local shops. Are Exodia decks currently viable? I have a Blue Eyes Exodia deck from a few years ago that relied heavily on One Day of Peace. Does anyone play Exodia anymore? Is it viable? It was always my favorite wincon.

Regiruler

One day of peace is at 1, and Upstart is also at 1.

There's two new exodia cards coming, but they're slow and require the deck to play a lot slower. The pure draw power version of the deck is dead because decks in general have gotten so much faster.

Fj0823

Hello. I've played Yu-Gi-Oh off and on since it first hit the West, but I primarily play Magic now. I've been considering building a YGO deck though, since it seems to be gaining some more popularity among my local shops. Are Exodia decks currently viable? I have a Blue Eyes Exodia deck from a few years ago that relied heavily on One Day of Peace. Does anyone play Exodia anymore? Is it viable? It was always my favorite wincon.

Both Exodus and Blue Eyes got some massive buffs. But they work separately now.

Blue-Eyes won the world championship 2016 this weekend.

Here's some of the new Blue Eyes cards so that you get an idea.

As for Exodia, they got these 2 great support cards, but they haven't been released yet.

You can still use the blue-eyes variant, but it's not as effective as the one spamming chicken game and the bamboo swords IMO.And lots of cards in that variant got banned or limited.

EMT0

Banned
If anyone's been keeping an eye on Dragons of Legend 3 prices, Bentens have recently gone from $3 to $10, while everything else in the set seems to be dropping.

I've never been so glad to have bought a deck on release :')

In other price shenanigan news, M-X-Saber Invoker, Tin Goldfish, and Crystal Wing have gone crazy due to Subterrors, Treatoad, and Crystal Wing being Crystal Wing, respectively. Expect Crystal Wing to go up even more if Raging Tempest delivers on the Speedroid hype.

1upsuper

One day of peace is at 1, and Upstart is also at 1.

There's two new exodia cards coming, but they're slow and require the deck to play a lot slower. The pure draw power version of the deck is dead because decks in general have gotten so much faster.

Both Exodus and Blue Eyes got some massive buffs. But they work separately now.

Blue-Eyes won the world championship 2016 this weekend.

Here's some of the new Blue Eyes cards so that you get an idea.

As for Exodia, they got these 2 great support cards, but they haven't been released yet.

You can still use the blue-eyes variant, but it's not as effective as the one spamming chicken game and the bamboo swords IMO.And lots of cards in that variant got banned or limited.

Thank you both! I'm happy to see that Konami continues to support BEWD and Exodia decks. I'll be sure to look into both of those. That Alternative Blue-Eyes is dope. Does the Dark Magician family still get some love?

KingBroly

Banned
Thank you both! I'm happy to see that Konami continues to support BEWD and Exodia decks. I'll be sure to look into both of those. That Alternative Blue-Eyes is dope. Does the Dark Magician family still get some love?

The Dark Illusion set just came out last month for that kind of support.

Top Bottom