• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zangeki no REGINLEIV Videos.

Agnates

Banned
This is going to be so awesome. That airship boss in the characters page is huge :D

I'm sure it will be localised. It has to be. Online co-op play, gore, motion plus, fantasy, it can all appeal to the West, even if it doesn't sell much in Japan, right? :D

duckroll

Okay, I managed to watch it. Interesting. While the game supports the classic controller, it certainly feels like it's designed for motion controls from the start. The melee weapons in particular seem to control in a really weird way, since you still have to aim the cursor and move it.

I shouldn't have watched those videos, now I'll be severely disappointed if NoE doesn't bring this over >:-(

What's the deal with the black-haired warrior (Date Masamune VA)? Will he be playable or is it just girl and girl-boy?

duckroll

Glass Soldier said:
I shouldn't have watched those videos, now I'll be severely disappointed if NoE doesn't bring this over >:-(

What's the deal with the black-haired warrior (Date Masamune VA)? Will he be playable or is it just girl and girl-boy?

It's just girl and girl-boy.

upandaway

duckroll said:
Okay, I managed to watch it. Interesting. While the game supports the classic controller, it certainly feels like it's designed for motion controls from the start. The melee weapons in particular seem to control in a really weird way, since you still have to aim the cursor and move it.
It looks surprisingly playable. The cursor moves fast enough for it to work.

I guess that's a decent alternative so those that don't want to jump with C and other awkward stuff like that.

Edit: Moved the CC stuff here

duckroll

Cow Mengde said:
Do we know for sure or just guessing? Maybe the main game, but maybe you can control some of the other characters? Cause in this video we see another girl who's dressed like your main characters who might also be playable. Perhaps unlocked?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V3Jmx9rxwA&feature=related

Confirmed. There are 2 playable characters with 300+ weapons split between them, just like EDF2. All the other characters are just NPCs for the story. In multiplayer you can choose either character, and play missions with 3 other friends online. It's not a co-op story mode. In the story mode the NPCs fight with you in certain missions, they appear on the map and talk, etc. Not playable.

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. You'd think they would let you unlock other characters for co-op especially since there's no story for it.

duckroll

Cow Mengde said:
Oh ok, thanks for clarifying. You'd think they would let you unlock other characters for co-op especially since there's no story for it.

If there are any unlocks (of course we won't know until it's actually out) they'll just be different skins. But honestly, given how Sandlot usually designs their games I don't think it's likely. The two characters generally play differently, so it's kinda pointless to just throw in "extra" playable characters which would just be reskinned versions of either.

I've never heard of this game, have little to no idea what's going on in that vid but damn this looks good. :D

The combat looks like so much fun.

duckroll

Cow Mengde said:
They play differently? I didn't know that. I just thought they had both genders to try and appeal to more people. Interesting.

In EDF2, the soldier guy has all the military weapons (guns, machine guns, sniper rifles, bombs, rocket launchers, etc) and can also control various vehicles on the maps. The female Pale Wing character can fly with a jetpack, and all her weapons are high-tech based like lasers, homing missiles, scatter beams, etc.

In Reginleiv, the girl-boy uses melee weapons and bows. He can only equip 2 different weapons for a stage. He has no mana bar or anything, and just fights like a normal action character. The girl uses swords, bows and magic. She can equip 3 different weapons for a stage. She has a mana bar for using magic, and has to recharge mana by picking up mana drops from killing enemies. If she runs low on mana, she has to use normal weapons to fight to recover mana.

So yeah, they play pretty differently.

Luigiv

duckroll said:
Yeah no doubt about it. Definitely looks like it was designed for the normal Wiimote in mind with Motion Plus and Classic Controller worked on top of that foundation. Motion Plus simply adds offscreen cursor tracking whilst Classic Controller goes the "tack the cursor to the extra analogue stick" route.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Character movement seems to be faster than in EDF2017, at least with the girl doing her backflips and dashes. Which is good! Moving around in EDF2017 was too slow, I eventually ended up rolling all over the place. :p
Love how the enemies turn into meat blocks. :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That box is some hot shit. God DAMN.

This looks like fun. Doesn't look like you actually need to be within striking range to damage an enemy though, unless the perspective is messing with me.

Is it possible to block with a shield? I see one in one of the videos but I don't think they used it to block?

Agnates

Banned
There is definitely block, but I don't know how effective it is. And no, you don't need to be that close to hit, but the pair are supposed to not be mortal fighters but something else. With the striking distance of some bosses (mammoth stomp!) you'll probably wish the melee weapons went even further than they do :lol

KTGarda

Wow, this is looking pretty awesome. I hope it comes to NA so that I can alternate between medieval and future monster killing.

Bufflekill

Neo Member
Hero of Legend said:
Wow, really?

51v17XrTi4L.jpg

I'll get the high-res one in a bit.

Wicked sick.
Personally cannot wait for this game, might import it like others here just for that box.

The general nature of the game means that it will get a release else where (IMO). Characters and the plot so far seems to me to make it viable for Western release, if NOA is smart about how it is marketed.

And of course there are hardly any M+ games (excluding sport games).

loempiavreter

Neo Member
Is it going to have non titan bosses?
Like those 2 dark purplish coloured geezers (with the gladiator and horned helmet) in some of the cinematic we've seen.

Anyone know?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
loempiavreter said:
Is it going to have non titan bosses?
Like those 2 dark purplish coloured geezers (with the gladiator and horned helmet) in some of the cinematic we've seen.

Anyone know?

The tutorial vid showed giant crabs and dragons. So it looks like at least as far as normal enemies are concerned, there are more than just Giants.

Vanpira

Ushojax said:
NoA aren't that bad. Yes, they pass on a few titles, but the last couple of years they have released several games that haven't come to Europe. ExciteBots, Mario Super Sluggers, Legendary Starfy, Fossil Fighters, Chibi Robo Park Patrol and Glory of Heracles all got a release (some very late, but still). NoE released Tingle, Disaster and Another Code R and both territories got Rhythm Heaven. Nintendo still puts out some niche stuff. Yes, they could, and should be releasing more outside Japan and releasing in both the US and EU, but they have brought a lot of titles over. If you're going to blame anyone, blame Iwata, he is the one who ultimately decides what products leave Japan, not the subsidiaries.

Anyway, I think Zangeki no REGINLEIV has a good chance of coming to the US/EU. Nintendo has been improving their attitude towards the more advanced gamer in recent months.

Not true, NOA decides what is released in North America. They have the final say in everything. Iwata even said in a quarter report q&a that it was hard to convince them to release Rhythm Heaven and Style Savvy. Why would he have to convince them if it was just up to him? If you want more proof, just look at why the games that weren't released here never were. If you just look at sales it doesn't make sense. The games look like they are chosen at random, but if you look at what could be seen as politically incorrect, it becomes more clear.

All of the games not released here by NOA are like this, except Fatal Frame (this could of been a control dispute or maybe NOA didn't want to pay extra for fixing the bugs) and games like Band Bros. that had licensed music, or characters like the Jump games.

Disaster had terrorists and natural disasters, these two things were touchy topics in the US because of the attacks and hurricanes. Mother 3 has major characters that appear to be transsexuals. Soma Bringer has a nude girl in a green tank. Tingle seems to be somewhat of a hated character. Captain Rainbow's reason is somewhat like Mother 3's.

I still have fools hope that Another Code: R will come here. So far I see no reason Reginleiv won't, but if Another Code was skipped, and doesn't have something like the above in it, I will have no reason to believe it will. I will also have the final piece to conform that NOA hates us.

Reggie might finally unveil his evil nature, and blood will rain from the skies for days. He will be seen standing on the top of a mound of corpses towering into the sky, laughing, and singing a joyful, but sinister tune. The corpses will be identified, and all of them will be Club Nintendo members with a platinum rank. The world will grow dark, and all will despair. They will look for a hero to save them, but none will come. For you see, that hero would have to be, none other then Reggie.

Hey, those enemies remind me a hell of a lot of that dude off Darksiders. Weird.

Also, is it just me, or does the gore look slightly out of place? Aside from that, this game looks great. Do the right thing NOE!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Vanpira said:
Reggie might finally unveil his evil nature, and blood will rain from the skies for days. He will be seen standing on the top of a mound of corpses towering into the sky, laughing, and singing a joyful, but sinister tune. The corpses will be identified, and all of them will be Club Nintendo members with a platinum rank. The world will grow dark, and all will despair. They will look for a hero to save them, but none will come. For you see, that hero would have to be, none other then Reggie.

I do agree that NoA still relapses into its old hyper-conservative ways from time to time (and this is pathetic when promoting a console designed for everyone, mature players included), but I think you're overstating Reggie's role. They asked fans if they wanted Tingle RPG, and the manchildren said they didn't. It never came out in America. Disaster was full of swearing, but we've heard that the final script was actually a second version, a rewrite insisted upon by NoA. I don't know why the game didn't come out in the end. Another Code is inexplicable, as is NPC! Pikmin 2. If Reggie were so averse to niche titles, would Drill Dozer have seen a release? Would Endless Ocean or Hotel Dusk? It's not as clear cut as him vetoing anything weird or edgy. Yes, I think NoA is still a little timid with some of the innuendo filled titles, but you know what? Mother 3 and Captain Rainbow didn't come to Europe either.

Sometimes the subsidiaries just don't give a shit, just like NoE skipping out on Starfy, Fossil Fighters, Glory of Heracles, ExciteBots, Chibi Robo DS, taking a year to release Kirby Super Star Ultra, or NoA dicking around with Disaster and Another Code.

upandaway

Green Scar said:
Also, is it just me, or does the gore look slightly out of place? Aside from that, this game looks great. Do the right thing NOE!
It looks very out of place, yes.

I don't understand the issue.

jay

Vanpira said:

Well said.

anyone know of any fucking Tsutaya's in Yokohama that rents games? I've been to two so far but they only have movies and music. I'm actually already thinking it might be more trouble than it's worth.

semiregular said:
And here's a list of Tsutayas in the scheme, you can cross-check for a store I guess...
http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/game/sp/reginleiv/shop.html

Thanks. It says Hodogaya is there, but I didn't see any games for rent at all. Just for sale. No sort of Reginleiv box either. I ended up renting a Doraemon anime because I wanted a T-Point card to start earning frequent flyer miles.

Edit: Crud, apparently Tsutaya doesn't rent games. This Reginleiv demo is the only game it rents out.

Luigiv

sprsk said:
Shrug, it's a free demo. Pretty sure people did that with the RE5 demo.
Cool, because it was going to kill me if I wasn't going to be able to share impressions :lol. Now if those pirates will just get off there lazy asses already :p.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mockingbird said:
Thanks. It says Hodogaya is there, but I didn't see any games for rent at all. Just for sale. No sort of Reginleiv box either. I ended up renting a Doraemon anime because I wanted a T-Point card to start earning frequent flyer miles.

Edit: Crud, apparently Tsutaya doesn't rent games. This Reginleiv demo is the only game it rents out.

Nobody rents games in Japan. It's prohibited by law.

Galang

Banned
I'm usually not interested in games like this, but the presentation alone has caught my attention. Looks really neat, I'll definitely buy if NOA localizes this. The box art alone makes me want to import this alongside Sin & Punishment 2 to keep on my shelf.

Rupt

Banned
if this and monado are as fun as day of crisis (and if they make it to UK) i can forgive nintendo for no star fox

gerg

Cow Mengde said:
Huh? WTF? Really?

Yeah. IIRC a coalition of companies led by Nintendo managed to ban the practice there some time ago.

The flipside of this is that Japan has a really good second-hand market.

Top Bottom