• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zangeki no REGINLEIV Videos.

KevinCow

Banned
RPGManiac said:
Reggie better announce the US release date for this at E3.

When is E3? June?

They might announce a release date at E3 if said release date is in June or July. Otherwise, it would be way too early for NoA.

The videos really do look amazing. The attack animations look pretty cool and the hammer weapon looks awesome. When I saw the guy hit that monster with the hammer, my jaw literally hit the floor :lol .

Luckydude23 said:
The videos really do look amazing. The attack animations look pretty cool and the hammer weapon looks awesome. When I saw the guy hit that monster with the hammer, my jaw literally hit the floor :lol .
Yeah the hammer looks so fun to use! Hope this game makes it to North America.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The guy who made that off-screen video on his HDTV made another one... with MotionPlus!

He plays with the spear at first, which isn't a great showcase for M+, but he later switches to a sword. Looks fairly good, but going by the description, he rather enjoyed the M+ gameplay :).

I really hope 1) this comes over, 2) Nintendo promotes it in some fashion. Showing it at E3 would be cool. I do have to wonder why Sandlot made the game so gory though. I don't really mind (adds some cheese, which is always fun), but talk about hurting the sales potential of the game for little "gain".

Anyway, what I like so far is that the weapons and attacks have impact. The explosion spells and bows in particular look satisfying to use.

Galang

Banned
^ Looks as awesome as he says, and even the magic seems fairly interesting to use. I wonder how big the monsters will actually get in game. :lol The monster sizes are already being used as one of the game's key points and I can't imagine they would spoil everything already with the boat being the biggest so far.

KevinCow

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Should we expect various field stages? All the demo shows is the grassy/village one.

If it's anything like EDF 2017, you will be playing the exact same stages with different enemy placement many, many times. I'm sure there will be some sort of variety, but that grassy village one will probably take up 90% of the first few hours.

Agnates

Banned
Is it his screen or is M+ play really laggy there? It's definitely not like that in WSR. Though it doesn't look laggy enough to hinder gameplay much, it looks weird.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Agnates said:
Is it his screen or is M+ play really laggy there? It's definitely not like that in WSR. Though it doesn't look laggy enough to hinder gameplay much, it looks weird.

Depends largely on the weapon. Broad swords and hammers take about a second to swing.

swerve

Agnates said:

Isn't it the case in the whole game that you swipe the way you want to go first, and then it executes the move?

M+ seems to have sped up the transition from swipe to execute, but I don't think this is a direct-mapping game. None of the footage I've seen suggests that there is 'my movement reflected on screen' gameplay.

duckroll

The motion controls don't control the weapons directly. They control a cursor you use to control the weapons. So even with Motion+, it will only make it more accurate between wiimote motion and on-screen cursor motion. It has nothing to do with the actual swinging of the weapons.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
From viewing the video it seems akin to Phantasy Star Online. Will it be in that same genre?

Agnates

Banned
duckroll said:
The motion controls don't control the weapons directly. They control a cursor you use to control the weapons. So even with Motion+, it will only make it more accurate between wiimote motion and on-screen cursor motion. It has nothing to do with the actual swinging of the weapons.
Eh, in the M+ vid he thrusts, his character thrusts with the spear, he swings left right rapidly, his character swings, the "drawing a line, then waiting for the move to perform" part seems to be for some kind of special moves that are slower (especially with the hammer which perhaps is only able to do those going by some vids) yet more powerful. That particular M+ vid just seems to have control lag in everything, including the cursor actually. Maybe. To me it seems those thrusts and speedy left right swings should not have the delay the "draw a line" moves do, it looks like lag as there's no build up and powerful slow swing like with the "drawing a line" thing.

swerve

Agnates said:
Eh, in the M+ vid he thrusts, his character thrusts with the spear, he swings left right rapidly, his character swings, the "drawing a line, then waiting for the move to perform" part seems to be for some kind of special moves that are slower (especially with the hammer which perhaps is only able to do those going by some vids) yet more powerful. That particular M+ vid just seems to have control lag in everything, including the cursor actually. Maybe. To me it seems those thrusts and speedy left right swings should not have the delay the "draw a line" moves do, it looks like lag as there's no build up and powerful slow swing like with the "drawing a line" thing.

That's not what I'm seeing. He targets with his spear, then thrusts, then his character thrusts.

Similarly with the sword, his sword icon is placed, he clicks, swipes, and as soon as the direction of the swipe can be accurately determined, it's carried out. This timing appears to be much quicker in the motion plus footage than the others.

Rupt

Banned
KevinCow said:
If it's anything like EDF 2017, you will be playing the exact same stages with different enemy placement many, many times. I'm sure there will be some sort of variety, but that grassy village one will probably take up 90% of the first few hours.

we've seen load of other stages though. isn't the only reason we keep seeing this village is because that's the one on the demo? I'm don't even think that the full game has been released yet

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
One thing I noticed in the video is that you can configure the sensitivity of the M+ (that's what it says in Japanese if I'm correct). It's set to 0.03.

duckroll

Agnates said:

Weapons in the game all have different timings and animations. Some swords are faster than others, some are slower than others. Different weapon types also have different control schemes. The reason why the lag between motion and animation is more and more noticeable as the character performs combos, is because your hand motion will always be faster than the game's animation. There are heavier weapons like large swords and hammers which would make the "lag" even more noticeable because the character will take his time swinging the massive weapon after direction of attack is registered. For faster weapons like the sword and spears, it would SEEM like the motion is a lot closer, simply the weapon is faster. If you notice, the cursor is still always on screen, and that is what the game tracks when you move the remote.

Galang

Banned
Rupt said:
we've seen load of other stages though. isn't the only reason we keep seeing this village is because that's the one on the demo? I'm don't even think that the full game has been released yet

Actual game is to be released in February, but I wouldn't expect a vast variety of stages in a game like this anyway.

Agnates

Banned
duckroll said:
Weapons in the game all have different timings and animations. Some swords are faster than others, some are slower than others. Different weapon types also have different control schemes. The reason why the lag between motion and animation is more and more noticeable as the character performs combos, is because your hand motion will always be faster than the game's animation. There are heavier weapons like large swords and hammers which would make the "lag" even more noticeable because the character will take his time swinging the massive weapon after direction of attack is registered. For faster weapons like the sword and spears, it would SEEM like the motion is a lot closer, simply the weapon is faster. If you notice, the cursor is still always on screen, and that is what the game tracks when you move the remote.
I still think the "drawing a blue line" mechanic is a different kind of attack from the normal swings, and one that, for some weapons, is meant to be 1:1. When you draw the blue line, your character starts a slow, powerful swing animation, and when he/she finally strikes, THEN you see the slash attack effect drawn on screen. On the other hand, when you do the small, fast swings, there's no blue line, and the cursor itself appears to be actually drawing the slash attack effects, making it seem that those attacks, at least for that weapon used, are meant to be 1:1 in speed, just as cursor movement is 1:1. Doesn't it? Yet even cursor movement appears to have a delay in that video. That's what I've been trying (and failing) to explain.

And yes, I know that some weapons have this cooldown period for when they can be used again (though at least for some of them, that may only apply when, again, drawing the blue line as opposed to the fast swings), but then the first fast swing should still be done instantly at the same time you do it. It's not.

Edited for clarity.

duckroll

Agnates said:
I still think the "drawing a blue line" mechanic is a different kind of attack from the normal swings, and one that, for some weapons, is meant to be 1:1. And yes, I can see the cursor when he does fast swings. The cursor actually becomes the slash attack effect in that case, as opposed to a blue line. So, if the cursor trail = the slash attack effect, then clearly the slashes should be 1:1 in speed at that point. Yet they aren't, the cursor itself even has lag at that point, delaying the whole thing.

And yes, I know that some weapons have this cooldown period for when they can be used again (though at least for some of them, that may only apply when, again, drawing the blue line as opposed to the fast cursor swings), but then the first swing should still be done instantly at the same time you do it. It's not.

It doesn't matter what you "think", because I'm telling you what the game says in the tutorial. It's not a different attack, there's only a single type of attack for all weapons. The only difference is that you can continue attacking in different directions to extend a combo, and when it gets to the end of a combo string the character pulls off a finisher. And I'll like to add that you are never "drawing a blue line" as a mechanic, the blue line is simply a trail to indicate that the attack is taking longer to animate than what was registered. There is no real 1:1 in the game. It is all point/cursor controlled. Even when you play with the classic controller, you control the cursor with the right analog. The game was in development before Motion+ even existed, so it is not designed to be a Motion+ showcase game, it simply supports it for more accurate cursor control.

Agnates

Banned
I meant 1:1 in speed, not movement, I know it's not meant to be like WSR sword control.

Well if the blue line only shows when an attack takes longer then that should still mean the fast swings should be speedier as they just get the slash effect instead.

But nevermind. Okay then :p

duckroll

Galang said:
Actual game is to be released in February, but I wouldn't expect a vast variety of stages in a game like this anyway.

Like EDF, I expect there to be a ton of different stages which only 4-5 different "types" in variety. Stages are not going to be the same in layout, but they will certainly mostly look the same. The demo has 4 stages, and they're not the same stage. Yet I don't think people can really tell the difference because it all looks the same. :lol

Luigiv

cacildo said:
yeaahhh, this blue line thing dosent look too good...

I was hoping for some 1-to-1 motion controls...
Not every game that uses M+ needs to have 1:1 animations. This game in particular is a prime example. In game weapons have different moments of inertia and different attacks have different length build ups. The Wiimote however always remains the same (very small) moment of inernia so you will always be able to swing it very fast, which would get boring fast as all weapons would control the same. This method allows you to still get the angle of your strike replicated 1:1 (which is the most important part) but allows to in game avatar to react naturally to his circumstances. 1:1 is just an animation system.

Luigiv

Weapons Showcase

Also highlights the difference between the 2 characters when it comes to their weapons:
-Hammers are exclusive to the Male Character
-Sceptres are exclusive to the Female Character
-Male Character appears to be more proficient with swords or at least has access to better ones.
-Bows and Spears are magically orientated for the Female Character whilst are purely physical for the Male Character.

Combined with the fact the Female Character can hold three weapons as Opposed to the Male's two, I'd say the characters look fairly balanced.

Agnates

Banned
That's the same footage as on the website's system page. But hey, cool stuff. Anyone put up the boss clips from the website on youtube? Tis nice to be able to embed.

It still looks like the fast slashes of some fast weapons are meant to be as fast as your cursor movements though. Yet weren't in that user video with hands in view.

TreIII

duckroll said:
Like EDF, I expect there to be a ton of different stages which only 4-5 different "types" in variety. Stages are not going to be the same in layout, but they will certainly mostly look the same. The demo has 4 stages, and they're not the same stage. Yet I don't think people can really tell the difference because it all looks the same. :lol

It ain't EDF style unless I'm killing a bunch of things at least SOME of the time in a crowded cave of some sort. Those were fave moments in EDF2! :D

Luigiv

Agnates said:
That's the same footage as on the website's system page. But hey, cool stuff. Anyone put up the boss clips from the website on youtube? Tis nice to be able to embed.

It still looks like the fast slashes of some fast weapons are meant to be as fast as your cursor movements though. Yet weren't in that user video with hands in view.
Blah, my mistake (I only watched a couple of vids off the site so I didn't realise). Still, this thread was in need of a bump, so hopefully we can get more people taking.

cacildo

I dont know, man. Last time i heard "it uses motion plus but it aint 1:1" i ended with Grand Slam Tennis.

And no, i didnt liked Grand Slam Tennis. In fact, i hated it, and my brother and 3 friends hated it too.

And i guess that outside of 3 or 4 people out there in message boards, nobody actually liked that game very much. It sold almost 4 copies.

gerg

cacildo said:
And i guess that outside of 3 or 4 people out there in message boards, nobody actually liked that game very much. It sold almost 4 copies.

Well, no, not really.

I think that by tennis game standards the game sold pretty well. IIRC, it's done better than Virtua Tennis, but I may be wrong.

wsippel

Banned
cacildo said:
I dont know, man. Last time i heard "it uses motion plus but it aint 1:1" i ended with Grand Slam Tennis.

And no, i didnt liked Grand Slam Tennis. In fact, i hated it, and my brother and 3 friends hated it too.

1:1, especially swordfighting, simply doesn't really work. There's nothing anyone can do about it. It neither looks nor feels right. The same is true for Sonys wand and Natal, of course. No weight, no inertia, no feedback/ impact. Not to mention the fact that you can't properly do IK with only a single joint (Natal has an edge in that regard at least).

Luigiv

cacildo said:

Haven't played GST, so I can't comment, but honestly, 1:1 control in ZnR just wouldn't work that well, given the attack range.

In a game like WSR or RS2 the characters can only strike each other within realistic range, in flat levels and mostly 1 on 1 conditions. In ZnR the characters attack range is much larger then the weapon's reach, the terrain is uneven and you'll be up against large hordes, making the linear displacement of the attack very important. As you may have noticed WSR and RS2 don't track linear displacement, only the angle the remote is held at. This is because linear displacement with 1:1 controls would be a bitch to implement correctly on the Wii and is apparently not very fun in practise. In ZnR's Pointer based slashing system, Linear displacement feels natural, as you're telling your avatar how to slash, not controlling his slashes directly.

Blah, sorry for the long, poorly articulated rant. Deconstructing development decisions is a bit of a hobby of mine but I need to work on my ability to explain technical details :lol.

wsippel said:
1:1, especially swordfighting, simply doesn't really work. There's nothing anyone can do about it. It neither looks nor feels right. The same is true for Sonys wand and Natal, of course. No weight, no inertia, no feedback/ impact. Not to mention the fact that you can't properly do IK with only a single joint (Natal has an edge in that regard at least).

All true, Not to mention that most gamers couldn't wield a sword in an aesthetically pleasing fashion if they're life depended on it. Case in point; the E3 2009 Sword and Shield demonstration for the Sony Wand. The Engineers stance and movement were pretty much replicated 1:1 and whilst it was technologically impressive, I was too distracted by how hideous the on screen avatar's stance and movements looked to take notice.

Agnates

Banned
Commercial is crap, but dragon boss in the characters page is fucking win!

And you know Sandlot's gonna have a version of it that's 10 times that size :D

cacildo

Luigiv said:
Haven't played GST, so I can't comment, but honestly, 1:1 control in ZnR just wouldn't work that well, given the attack range.

In a game like WSR or RS2 the characters can only strike each other within realistic range, in flat levels and mostly 1 on 1 conditions. In ZnR the characters attack range is much larger then the weapon's reach, the terrain is uneven and you'll be up against large hordes, making the linear displacement of the attack very important. As you may have noticed WSR and RS2 don't track linear displacement, only the angle the remote is held at. This is because linear displacement with 1:1 controls would be a bitch to implement correctly on the Wii and is apparently not very fun in practise. In ZnR's Pointer based slashing system, Linear displacement feels natural, as you're telling your avatar how to slash, not controlling his slashes directly.

Blah, sorry for the long, poorly articulated rant. Deconstructing development decisions is a bit of a hobby of mine but I need to work on my ability to explain technical details :lol.

Dont worry, it was a nice reading. And you´re right, for this game really, 1:1 wouldn't make any sense.

Luigiv said:
All true, Not to mention that most gamers couldn't wield a sword in an aesthetically pleasing fashion if they're life depended on it. Case in point; the E3 2009 Sword and Shield demonstration for the Sony Wand. The Engineers stance and movement were pretty much replicated 1:1 and whilst it was technologically impressive, I was too distracted by how hideous the on screen avatar's stance and movements looked to take notice.

I remember i saw an excuse like this at the time of The Force Unleashed release. However, what about Zelda Wii? Aounumamamaa said they´re replicating player´s arm movement 1:1

And that´s something i REALLY like to see. Hell, im waiting for it since 2006.

Agnates

Banned
I imagine Zelda Wii will work like WSR + nunchuck analog stick to strafe/approach/withdraw from your opponent with the usual lock on camera. Oh, of course you'll block with the shield (perhaps much like in TP) instead of try to parry. It should work mighty fine. They'll probably some modifier to stop you from senselessly waggling, like only being able to chain a few hits and then having a cooldown or something for a second. So, yeah, I do think almost 1:1 swordplay is more than possible (and LucasArts is crazy for not having a lightsaber game out yet, and should be ****** ** *** *** if they release one 3-6 months after Arc is out), and I would have liked it if this game was like that too, but hey, it's not that kind of game, it's more like a shooter with melee weapons I guess, and it's also made for 3 different control schemes, I imagine Zelda will require M+. This looks hella fun as is. LOOK AT THAT DRAGON :D

Luigiv

cacildo said:
I remember i saw an excuse like this at the time of The Force Unleashed release. However, what about Zelda Wii? Aounumamamaa said they´re replicating player´s arm movement 1:1

And that´s something i REALLY like to see. Hell, im waiting for it since 2006.
Doubt it, the Wii doesn't know where your shoulder and elbow are so it's impossible to pull off that way. It'll work the same way as WSR swordfighting, with animations being a combination of predefined and procedural "1:1".

Agnates

Banned
Meh, WSR is pretty much 1:1. No game will ever be 100% 1:1 if you're gonna nitpick, as no developer will program all the ways you could stab yourself in the game and, again, you lack physical feedback, so while your character's sword will be blocked by something, your own arms won't be, so at that time you'll have to follow the movement you see on screen and retaliate as soon as your character is free again instead of waggle away freely while your character struggles. But yeah, when people ask for 1:1 I consider they ask for WSR Swordplay-type gameplay, not that much more. Which is still quite a bit more than Reginleiv is doing. I'm sure they'll find a way for the arms to look good in Zelda. If it works similar to WSR there's not THAT big a spectrum of actual arm positions since the sword basically moves in a sphere around the Mii (though I'm sure they'll define and refine the tracking further, to allow for fancy moves like in that Red Steel 2 developer video where he showed how even tilting his wrist had an effect etc), and they can always stop following your movements after you pass a certain ridiculous threshold to stop you from doing weird shit and passing the sword through Link's head or having him sit on it etc. And if you went back in the threshold from a different angle Link would smoothly get his hands in position rather than instantly pop them there, and from that point track basically 1:1 again. That wouldn't detract from the experience, if anything it would help it remain immersing. Seeing weird shit to the character model always takes you out of the experience more.

Anyway. DRAGONS :D

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Yeah, I got the demo yesterday. Holy shit soooooooooooo fun.

Playing without the motion plus kinnnnnnnda sucks though. The "fire wand" is the best weapon ever though, just watching that shit explode feels soooo good.

sprsk said:
Yeah, I got the demo yesterday. Holy shit soooooooooooo fun.

Playing without the motion plus kinnnnnnnda sucks though. The "fire wand" is the best weapon ever though, just watching that shit explode feels soooo good.

More details please!!!

Also, if is it bad without motion+? The video we saw of the guy playing in front of his TV looked perfectly fine. That video says he didn't have motion plus either. Did you try out classic controller for shits and giggles?

Top Bottom