• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zangeki no REGINLEIV Videos.

duckroll

Sounds like it has all the story problems that Gigantic Drive had. Sandlot sucks at telling a story, and I don't think anyone is a Sandlot fan because of their storytelling skills, it's a pity that they decided to go this route with the game. It seems that Nintendo would have saved a ton of money if they didn't have a stupid story mode with tons of voice acting and cutscenes in the first place, and the game would be better for it. At least the game sounds more playable than Gigantic Drive was. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
Sounds like it has all the story problems that Gigantic Drive had. Sandlot sucks at telling a story, and I don't think anyone is a Sandlot fan because of their storytelling skills, it's a pity that they decided to go this route with the game. It seems that Nintendo would have saved a ton of money if they didn't have a stupid story mode with tons of voice acting and cutscenes in the first place, and the game would be better for it. At least the game sounds more playable than Gigantic Drive was. :lol

See, the story isn't bad (well maybe it is later, but early on it's fine) and the cutscenes aren't poorly directed or anything.

It's just that story has no place in this type of game. Especially not the rpg amount of story they are putting in.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
See, the story isn't bad (well maybe it is later, but early on it's fine) and the cutscenes aren't poorly directed or anything.

It's just that story has no place in this type of game. Especially not the rpg amount of story they are putting in.

Well, the problem with Gigantic Drive was that the gameplay would stop, and there would be voice overs no one gives a fuck about slowing the game down. Nothing happens until the talking finishes and you can't skip it or anything. Really awful.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah that kind of happens here. Like you kill the last enemies and your story NPCs start having a conversation and the mission won't end until they finish talking. I think musou is similar but musou keeps their cutscenes pretty short and the dialogue is while you're fighting.

Bebpo

Banned
Played another hour and the missions are getting longer, which is good since it means more gameplay.

My main gameplay issue (besides no loot and non-desctructable environments) is just the amount of time spent walking/dashing to the new waves. They usually appear on opposite sides. So you fight some guys and then spend 1-2 minutes trying to dash 50 times to get to the next group. Fight them, then turn around and dash 50 times to the next group. Where is my jetpack :(

Adjusted the controls a bit and everything controls pretty well now EXCEPT the nunchuck dashing which is incredibly annoying when trying to dash across the map (aka, dash forward and not in other directions accidently). Got faster bows but they still are no fun to use.

Agnates

Banned
That live stream is still going. Looks fun to me, with not many interruptions. The enemies seem to be coming for you so unless you must protect something there's no need to use the clunky dash, just run there. Or go make a sandwitch. And what do you mean no loot? How do you get new weapons? Buy them after missions or something?

Bebpo

Banned
If you want to sit still in the middle of the map and wait for the waves to come to you, be my guest.

Maybe when the game gets hard and the waves come faster they'll start to catch up to you, but early on you spend most of the map dashing from one side to the other when each new group appears and you dispense them in 30 seconds.

You get new weapons buy purchasing them with the gems you get from enemies after the level. When you buy a new weapon it opens up more new ones to purchase.

duckroll

Agnates said:
Looks fun to me, with not many interruptions. The enemies seem to be coming for you so unless you must protect something there's no need to use the clunky dash, just run there. Or go make a sandwitch.

If you want to keep defending the game and arguing with people posting impressions without having played the game yourself, you might want to stfu instead. Your comments and opinions are as worthless as dogshit until you are giving actual impressions of the game from your own experience.

Agnates

Banned
Where's the problem in commenting on what I see and asking questions about stuff I don't see again? There are negative impressions from people who haven't played it either but I didn't see you tell them to stfu and just read-only the impressions of people who have played it.

duckroll

Agnates said:
Where's the problem in commenting on what I see and asking questions about stuff I don't see again? There are negative impressions from people who haven't played it either but I didn't see you tell them to stfu.

Don't be a smart ass. I'm warning you.

Doorman

Watching that stream now, trying to get a better feel for the game...

I see what you mean about all games being kind of basic at their core, I probably took that thinking a little too far. The more I watch, it seems like a decent action title, but considering the extra treatment Nintendo seems to be giving it (with the black case and all, anyway), I sure wish it looked a little more polished. Some of it's probably inevitable given the size of some of the monster models, but my goodness, clipping ahoy. :p

Ok I got my copy, but I could use some help with options.

I have:
Control type -- Can't tell the difference between advanced 1 and 2
Camera distance
Turn speed
Dead zone
Camera ??? -- What does this do? Default is 1.5
B button hold -- Not sure about this either
Camera ??? -- Default is off
M+ sensitivity
M+ calibration
??? --- Default is 100
Movie skip
BGM vol
SE vol
Voice vol
Movie vol
Pointer assist
Restore Defaults

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
For dashing, you have to move the nunchuck forward t hen back into place for it to work consistantly. I really wish they would have just tied it to the C button, but whatever.

Frey's bows are mostly shit. But he has them so he can have some sort of long distance weapon. I think bows are mostly meant for Freya.

BTW the first boss fight is fucking epic.

The interuptions never bothered me btw. I for one am glad they fleshed things out a bit.

Bebpo

Banned
Doing this off memory. Next time I boot up the game I can give more help.

TelemachusD said:
Ok I got my copy, but I could use some help with options.

I have:
Control type -- Can't tell the difference between advanced 1 and 2 [I just skimmed the difference, but I think advanced 1 auto-corrects up/down leveling]
Camera distance
Turn speed
Dead zone
Camera ??? -- What does this do? Default is 1.5 [how long after an attack do you want it to ignore the pointer in terms of camera] This is so after a swing if your pointer is offscreen the camera won't turn. I put it on 0 myself so I can turn right away.
B button hold -- Not sure about this either
Camera ??? -- Default is off [do you want the camera to follow the enemy you attacked. So if you hit someone to the left it auto-turns left to keep them in the center]
M+ sensitivity
M+ calibration
??? --- Default is 100
Movie skip
BGM vol
SE vol
Voice vol
Movie vol
Pointer assist
Restore Defaults

sprsk said:
For dashing, you have to move the nunchuck forward t hen back into place for it to work consistantly. I really wish they would have just tied it to the C button, but whatever.

Frey's bows are mostly shit. But he has them so he can have some sort of long distance weapon. I think bows are mostly meant for Freya.

BTW the first boss fight is fucking epic.

The interuptions never bothered me btw. I for one am glad they fleshed things out a bit.

Yeah, the girl's bows are way better because they are multi-enemy auto-lock so no real aiming. Just pull back and let go. For the nunchuck that's what I do but if I pull back to fast it backflips >_<

When is the first boss? I think I'm on mission 10? I've been switching between the two characters and I think I like the girl better but her sword is pretty weak.

sprsk

Bebpo said:
Doing this off memory. Next time I boot up the game I can give more help.

Yeah, the girl's bows are way better because they are multi-enemy auto-lock so no real aiming. Just pull back and let go. For the nunchuck that's what I do but if I pull back to fast it backflips >_<

When is the first boss? I think I'm on mission 10? I've been switching between the two characters and I think I like the girl better but her sword is pretty weak.
I've only fought it online so I don't know what level it is single (though I'm on 11 now and it came after that online so probably level 12).

But youlld definitely know when you get there lol.

sprsk

Bebpo said:
How is the online community. I haven't tried yet. More fun than SP?

Mmmm no story so it seems kind of vanilla. Would have really been good with voice chat. It just isn't the same picking premade phrases.

The players are what you would expect from Japanese online games. Nice and polite.

Bebpo

Banned
Played a lot more. Going to change my stance on this. It's pretty good but with flaws (moreso than EDF). If you could stomach N3 this is for you.

The feel of the weapons and the strategy for which to use when is really good. Like right now I have a wind sword on the guy which lets me do 10 really weak/fast hits in about 2 seconds. This is good for airborne enemies because I don't want to waste a slot on a bow. Also good for normal grunts. On the other hand (literally) I have a giant hammer. This is good for BIG GUYS. Take out their legs so they fall to the ground and them just pound their heads in with a giant hammer. Very satisfying.

Now with the girl I have a weak sword that does no damage BUT it ups her magic meter with every hit. This is because I have a good lock-on bow that does medium damage across 5 enemies per shot but eats up magic. And then I have a rapid fire spell that kills things (like big guys) pretty fast but eats up magic very quickly. So with her I'm all about bow from a distance, dash in and fill up the meter with sword and then magic fire with sword swings occasionally to replenish the meter.

The only thing I wonder is how you're supposed to deal with flying enemies that never come down if you don't have a bow equipped. The only missions where I've fought floating magicians has been with the girl who had a bow. Not sure what would happen if I'd done it as the guy.

The game plays out VERY MUSOU. This game is seriously Musou meets EDF. The levels are scripted events with mobs along the way. But since EDF plays way better than any Musou could hope, this is kind of the ultimate Musou game...almost.

Things it's missing:
-Random loot
-mid-level checkpoints. If you've played EDF you know there are no checkpoints, but usually you are playing coop so if one person dies the other will finish it. Here the levels can be LONG and scripted (meaning you can't make them any shorter). I just did a 38 min stage. And as the level progresses it gets harder, so the last 5 mins of a 40 min stage are going to be the do or die. Then if you die...enjoy doing the first 35 mins again and hope you beat it this time ^^; This is where I compare it a bit to N3. I think mid-stage checkpoints would have really helped this time around. Also your arms GET TIRED after 40 mins of swinging.
-Better nunchuck controls for dodging
-Offline 2p coop

I think those are the only thing the game is missing that keep it from being EDFxMusouxBERSERKxValkyrie Profile. If you can put up the flaws it is good times. The feeling when you drop the game to 2fps and all you see is blood and body parts and you can't even see anything and you are just smashing down a hammer in slow motion and seeing red dots disappear from your radar....that is the EDF feeling and it's here in full during the action. The bosses remind me of why I like Sandlot in the first place. HUGE and cool designs.

Will keep playing it, although expect if I lose 30-40 mins into a stage for me to be slightly less approving of the game at that point.

wsippel

Banned
I had a chance to play the game for a few hours now. Really fun game! I immediately ordered a copy as soon as I came home. Combat feels great, most weapons are fun, and I don't share about half of Bebpos earlier complaints. Some points I definitely agree with - you have to travel a lot on some maps, which is boring, the nunchuck motion recognition is very iffy, and mid-level checkpoints would definitely be appreciated. But that's pretty much it, and I can live with those few shortcomings as the game is really awesome overall.

sprsk

Got to around level 20 tonight.

Some of the weapons later on are hilariously powerful in true sandlot fashion. I got this bow that shoots 3 lock-on super slow moving missiles that do 500 damage a piece. So awesome.

Some of the later bosses are great, and yyyup giant insects make a come back. I also find it hilarious they managed to find a way to put in a giant space ship thing that shoots thousands of lasers at once.

Sucks to hear about the negative impressions, but at least the game is out now so that Sandlot can make another EDF.

If the game doesn't have random loot, how do you get new weapons? Do they just hand out new weapons after certain missions or what?

sprsk

AndyMoogle said:
Sucks to hear about the negative impressions, but at least the game is out now so that Sandlot can make another EDF.

If the game doesn't have random loot, how do you get new weapons? Do they just hand out new weapons after certain missions or what?

You buy them, and as you buy them new ones unlock.

wsippel

Banned
AndyMoogle said:

You get crystals by killing enemies. There are several different types of crystals depending on the type of enemy and the way you kill or dismember them. You buy the weapons between missions using those crystals. The weapons are arranged in a tree diagram, but you can only see already purchased and currently available weapons, so there's still some luck involved (unless you use a guide).

And despite some flaws and Bebpos earlier negative impressions, the game is actually fucking awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
AndyMoogle said:

My first impression of the game was negative, but now it's postive as the game gets better as you go, so it's still worth checking out if you like EDF and/or Musou games.

And yeah, I hope this means they are doing a proper EDF4 next. Although the lack of wings in this game make me worried that the team just didn't like something about flying in EDF2 and will never do it again :\

For anyone thinking of importing, Reginleiv works fine on a US Wii with GeckoOS. Online is not region blocked. I played with three Japanese players just fine and didn't notice any lag. Unless you really care about the story, it's pretty import friendly. Simple katakana knowledge can help with some of the menus, but it's not at all necessary. I need to play some more before I give any proper impressions.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm watching the live stream and the high end multiplayer action looks awesome. I kind of want to finish SP before I jump into Multi since the equipment isn't shared.

Boerseun said:
I wonder why they left out the split-screen co-op mode. Isn't that to a large extent why we buy games like EDF and Samurai Warriors?

I actually think the sword slashing mechanic wouldn't work if you only had half a screen and that's why they didn't do it :\

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
duckroll said:
Off-topic, but Gigantic Drive (aka Robotic Alchemic Drive) has some of the most unintentionally hilarious cut-scenes I've ever watched.

http://www.audioatrocities.com/games/rad/index.html (contains a few spoilers)

sprsk

Bebpo said:
I'm watching the live stream and the high end multiplayer action looks awesome. I kind of want to finish SP before I jump into Multi since the equipment isn't shared.

I actually think the sword slashing mechanic wouldn't work if you only had half a screen and that's why they didn't do it :\

Yeah, I mean the game relies on having the full screen to attack. I think it would severely change the balance of the game if there was some sort of split screen. Unfortunately :/

So the only chance of Nintendo announcing this for a western release would be at the media summit later this month, right? If they don't say anything there I'll just import it.

AndyMoogle said:
So the only chance of Nintendo announcing this for a western release would be at the media summit later this month, right? If they don't say anything there I'll just import it.

They could announce it at E3, like they did Line Attack Hero and Span Smasher.
Though, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
We live in a world where Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Shiren the Wanderer 3 have gotten US localizations against all reason and odds.

Given how much effort Nintendo's put in with Sandlot on his game, and the emphasis on motion+, I'd say it's actually fairly likely they will localize it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AceBandage said:
They could announce it at E3, like they did Line Attack Hero and Span Smasher.
Though, I wouldn't hold your breath.
I would be shocked if this game wasn't at E3. Ninty typically launches hardware with first party software and then lets 3rd parties iterate on their ideas. So it's going to be up to the 3rd parties to carry the M+ torch.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm getting really, reaaaaally frustrated at playing as the guy. He sucks and has frustrating control problems that the girl doesn't have.

The game is really made for a bow. Not just any bow, but a medium->strong strength bow. For the guy this is a problem. His bows have terrible detection of the controller. You pull all the way back that the cord lets you AND IT STILL ISN'T FAR ENOUGH And your aim circle doesn't quite close enough to actually fire. Instead of aiming at enemies you are spending 10-30 seconds per arrow struggle to just get the damn thing pulled back far enough to fire.

His spear also has control problems. When you stab forward the reticule is going to move during that stab motion. Stab + Pointer = ugh. So getting direct stabs suck and the wider spread stabs are totally weak.

His sword is good for normal enemies but for big enemies and bosses it's fairly useless.

His Big Sword/Hammer are good for big enemies and bosses but the wind up is ridiculously long to the point that the boss will have moved 75% of the time by the time you swing or the big dude will hammer you and send you flying by the time you swing.

I'm still passing the levels with the guy, but they are taking a lot longer than they should because it's just such a pain in the ass to kill anything other than small grunt with him.

The girl on the other hand is awesome. It's EDF2 all over again. They substitute the terrible controlling arrow pullback method the guy has (which is supposed to prevent you from spamming from a distance) with simply the fact the arrows cost MP to use. Plus she has auto-lock for her arrows so you just lock on like Panzer Dragoon and fire quickly.

Her magic is simple and easy to use. Point and click.
And her sword is weak but fine for grunts and aborbing magic.
And she gets 3 weapon slots instead of 2.

I wish the game didn't make you play as both of them. It works for story-branching but the guy just isn't fun. I'd give the game an 8.5ish when playing as the girl but a 5ish when playing as the guy because it's just constant aggravation of you fighting with the controls the entire battle.
I actually get the feeling it might be ideal to plug in a CC when playing the guy missions. The bow would become useful, which would help.

G.O.O.

I have an imported copy for a few days, but it's not very non-japanese friendly.

Is there a tutorial somewhere so that I can play with decent conditions ?

dsister44

can anybody tell me how the online works?

im guessing you're put in a field and just have to survive waves and wave of enemies? do you get any bosses, any special enemies or is it just giants and grunts?

sprsk

Bebpo said:
I'm getting really, reaaaaally frustrated at playing as the guy. He sucks and has frustrating control problems that the girl doesn't have.

The game is really made for a bow. Not just any bow, but a medium->strong strength bow. For the guy this is a problem. His bows have terrible detection of the controller. You pull all the way back that the cord lets you AND IT STILL ISN'T FAR ENOUGH And your aim circle doesn't quite close enough to actually fire. Instead of aiming at enemies you are spending 10-30 seconds per arrow struggle to just get the damn thing pulled back far enough to fire.

His spear also has control problems. When you stab forward the reticule is going to move during that stab motion. Stab + Pointer = ugh. So getting direct stabs suck and the wider spread stabs are totally weak.

His sword is good for normal enemies but for big enemies and bosses it's fairly useless.

His Big Sword/Hammer are good for big enemies and bosses but the wind up is ridiculously long to the point that the boss will have moved 75% of the time by the time you swing or the big dude will hammer you and send you flying by the time you swing.

I'm still passing the levels with the guy, but they are taking a lot longer than they should because it's just such a pain in the ass to kill anything other than small grunt with him.

The girl on the other hand is awesome. It's EDF2 all over again. They substitute the terrible controlling arrow pullback method the guy has (which is supposed to prevent you from spamming from a distance) with simply the fact the arrows cost MP to use. Plus she has auto-lock for her arrows so you just lock on like Panzer Dragoon and fire quickly.

Her magic is simple and easy to use. Point and click.
And her sword is weak but fine for grunts and aborbing magic.
And she gets 3 weapon slots instead of 2.

I wish the game didn't make you play as both of them. It works for story-branching but the guy just isn't fun. I'd give the game an 8.5ish when playing as the girl but a 5ish when playing as the guy because it's just constant aggravation of you fighting with the controls the entire battle.
I actually get the feeling it might be ideal to plug in a CC when playing the guy missions. The bow would become useful, which would help.

Man, I think you're off on Frey's usefulness.

I mean, yeah early on he doesn't have much. But some of the swords are pretty great, and while something like the Ice wand (2 and 3) are great at disposing of mid size Giants, it absoluely sucks at getting rid of waves of grunts. Early on Freya is terrible at crowd clearing. Until you get stuff like the &#25307;&#38647;&#12398;&#29579;&#31503; is she any good at clearing any crowds. Even then, you've gotta manage that mana.

I see you on the whole pushing enemies away, for some reason it happens and sometimes it doesn't. BUT, one good swipe of the hammer can send a screen full of large giants carthweeling to the ground. And if you're good about it you can keep them there.

I think the game is well balanced, it's just it takes a little bit to unlock weapons that even the playing field. Freya does indeed get the more useful shit early on.

Bebpo

Banned
Shiggy said:
Bepbo, do you have the Motion Plus accessory attached or do you play without it?

Motion+

I tried the game with the classic controller and it's unplayable. The right analogue emulates the pointer so it's used for slashing AND camera movement and so when you move it the game has to guess if you wanted to slash or turn the camera. Does not guess well!

I've gotten a little bit better at aiming with Frey's bow. If I hold A+B and then immediately pull the wiimote back as far as the cord to the nunchuck will allow and sit there for a few seconds the ring will close on its own and usually let me fire, thank god.

I dunno though. I'm 26 missions, 7+ hours in and I think the game is only great at times and has too many problems to be a legitimately good game. The harder and longer the levels get, the more noticeable the control problems are. It's like EDF except if you were fighting the controls the whole time and had gimped ranged weapons and no coop.

The core game is very good, but sooo many issues. Weapon selection is also far more important than EDF. It's very possible to get a few minutes into a level and have something show up that you can't really fight with your setup and you have to restart and change equip. In EDF if you had a rocket launcher you were pretty much ready for anything the game threw at you.

dsister44 said:
can anybody tell me how the online works?

im guessing you're put in a field and just have to survive waves and wave of enemies? do you get any bosses, any special enemies or is it just giants and grunts?
I've only played one game online, but it consisted of running away from a giant, huge, like 300 ft. tall, multi-tusked mammoth with a giant on its back, while hordes of enemies dropped down the sides of the narrow valley we were retreating through. You had to try to kill all the guys in your way before the mammoth caught up and sent you flying for massive damage. It was pretty awesome.

---

G.O.O. said:
I have an imported copy for a few days, but it's not very non-japanese friendly.

Is there a tutorial somewhere so that I can play with decent conditions ?
Actually I think it's pretty easy to figure out. It takes some trial and error, but a lot of the menu options are in katakana which means they're nearly English already. Find an online katakana chart and sound out the word or just click on stuff and see what it does. I might type up a simple menu translation later, but you can see most of the options menu earlier in this thread. I don't know Japanese myself, but I have a flimsy enough grasp of kana to fumble my way through.

G.O.O.

Thank you guys :)

I went on 2 blind playings, the dashing system is confusing but the gameplay looks quite fun. Will try again with the translation guide.

Finally beat the game after 42 hours. Most of that was with the girl and it was all on easy and a little over half on normal. Once you beat it you unlock the other 3 difficulties. It was soooo much fun. I'm a huge fan of EDF and while this game was off-putting with the controls at first once I got used to them I loved it. Dashing sucked at first and while it never got perfect there are some awesome bosses later on that you need to be swift on your feet to stay alive and the controls worked fine. The guy is way more useful than the EDF guy imo, his hammer which allows him to take damage and still attack is awesome and while some bows have a long charge time some are pretty fast. Playing as him and fighting the enormous charging rhinos was amazing. The game overall has a huge scope, even going farther than EDF2017 with enemy variety and amount of levels (I thought the game was over and that was soooo the last boss about 3 or 4 times). I kinda wish Nintendo would bring this over sans blood or edit it (make it green when it's red?) to give it a Teen rating, since I think this is THE action game (at least 3rd party) the Wii was made for. Anyone who has a Wii and wants a fun action game using swords needs to play this.

If you loved EDF, you'll love this. The controls take some getting used to, the guy has faults but the girl is a ton of fun and her wand attacks make her more like a shooter. Some levels went on a bit too long, a couple enemies types got annoying but overall some of the most fun I've had with a game this gen. I'd give it a 9/10.

Top Bottom