• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link to the Past II runs at 60fps in 3D

Glad to see full confirmation on this, but I think we all knew this already was the case (lots of people's impressions from the early demo).

Do want this game in my veins already.

M3d10n

60 frames but painted interlaced on your TV, so you're really only getting 30 frames of odd numbered horizontal lines and 30 frames of even numbered horizontal lines for a total of 60 fps. At least for NES/SNES. Not sure about the GBC stuff.
What? No, that's not how it works. The NES and SNES didn't use interlaced rendering (there was a hi-res interlaced mode on the SNES, but it was not usable for gameplay). And even interlaced can display 60fps.

elektrixx

Banned
Yeah but they'll do something that makes me constantly switch back and forth to see how they look. Like in OoT and Luigi's Mansion 2 2D has much smoother lines than in 3D. That relatively small thing drives me crazy because I want to see the best of both.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
What? No, that's not how it works. The NES and SNES didn't use interlaced rendering (there was a hi-res interlaced mode on the SNES, but it was not usable for gameplay). And even interlaced can display 60fps.
What about people's claims that 3DS is running at 120 fps in 3D mode for 60fps games. Any credence to that?

tsumineko

What about people's claims that 3DS is running at 120 fps in 3D mode for 60fps games. Any credence to that?

Of course, the 3DS must render two 400x240 frames (one per eye) each time. So if the screens are being updated 60 times per second, you would need double that in 3D mode to create the 3D effect. 120 frames per second. This isn't even including what's happening on the bottom screen!

Bleep

Mario Kart 7, Pushmo, Crashmo, NSMB2, Fire Emblem Awakening (30 in battles), Gunman Clive and some sprite based games like Mighty Switch Force are all 60fps in 3D. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I've played.

No, it is actually rendering an 800x240 image at 60fps in 3D mode and 400x240 in 2d. It doubles the resolution, not the framerate.

tsumineko

No, it is actually rendering an 800x240 image at 60fps in 3D mode and 400x240 in 2d. It doubles the resolution, not the framerate.

This is actually impossible, it isn't just a resolution increase, the 3DS needs to render completely different images from two different perspectives in order to create the 3D depth. That's twice as many polygons as 2D mode. The fact they are being displayed on the same screen is irrelevant, they are two different images.

This is actually impossible, it isn't just a resolution increase, the 3DS needs to render completely different images from two different perspectives in order to create the 3D depth. That's twice as many polygons as a 2D game. The fact they are being displayed on the same screen is irrelevant, they are two different images.

To an extent it's academic, as doubling the frame rate and doubling the resolution both end up with effectively the same end result when it comes to stereoscopic 3D, but strictly speaking the latter isn't running at 120fps. Whether the frame is comprised of a multiple 3D views doesn't really matter, unless you're also going to argue that a split-screen multiplayer game with each player's half running at 60fps is a 120fps game as well.

This is actually impossible, it isn't just a resolution increase, the 3DS needs to render completely different images from two different perspectives in order to create the 3D depth. That's twice as many polygons as 2D mode. The fact they are being displayed on the same screen is irrelevant, they are two different images.

The error comes from the fact that since the 3DS renders two 400x240 images, side by side they are "essentially one" 800x240 image. In actuality, the resolution doesn't increase at all.

Portugeezer

Expected with the quality of graphics we saw, but good to know.

But they are wrong about this as some games run at 60fps even in 3D:
"while all the 3D games up till now have run at 30fps."

Unless they mean 3D Zelda games on the 3DS... which there's only one, so pointless saying it like that.

Possibly a dumb question, but does that mean 2D mode might have an even higher framerate? Is such a thing even possible dot jpg?

tsumineko

To an extent it's academic, as doubling the frame rate and doubling the resolution both end up with effectively the same end result when it comes to stereoscopic 3D, but strictly speaking the latter isn't running at 120fps. Whether the frame is comprised of a multiple 3D views doesn't really matter, unless you're also going to argue that a split-screen multiplayer game with each player's half running at 60fps is a 120fps game as well.

It's rendering 120 400x240 frames per second. It's displaying 2 at a time at 60 frames per second. That's all I'm saying.

A split screen 2D game, given a game resolution of 320x240 at 60 frames per second would be rendering 120 320x120 frames. Technical!

Possibly a dumb question, but does that mean 2D mode might have an even higher framerate? Is such a thing even possible dot jpg?

Pretty sure the 3DS's screen can't show more than 60fps.

Portugeezer

Maybe it could run even higher in 2D, but for that to be possible the 3DS screen would have to support above 60Hz, I haven't checked but I really doubt it does.

Roto13

Zelda's not fast paced enough for 60fps to matter.

Glad the framerate whores have something to be happy about, though, I guess?

Rich!

It seems to matter in this game. LTTP was always more fast paced than any of the 3D titles, and going by the press demo of LTTP2, Nintendo throw a HUGE amount of enemies and obstacles at you at a very fast rate. 60fps helps make the game feel super responsive in gameplay.

it's not just about graphics you know.

Rich!

Actually, is there some official source that lists what each Zelda game runs at?

Emulators. 2D games are 60fps technically, N64 games run at 14-20fps depending on circumstance, and the other 3D console games are 30fps apart from GC Twilight Princess which dips to a shocking 15fps in some areas.

haven't got a clue about the DS games.

RedSwirl

60 frames but painted interlaced on your TV, so you're really only getting 30 frames of odd numbered horizontal lines and 30 frames of even numbered horizontal lines for a total of 60 fps. At least for NES/SNES. Not sure about the GBC stuff.

Even if that's true and you're only seeing 30, if the internal renderer is still pushing 60, you still get the input latency benefit of 60. It's why some PC gamers turn Counter-Strike down to the lowest settings to get 100 or 200fps even though they may only be able to see 60 or 75 of those frames.

Yep, this is true, which is why I was never too bothered with it before.

3D look MUCH better at 60fps though, so this is a great turn of events.

Aroo

Neo Member
Are there any pictures of this game?

Sorry I've been out of the gaming loop. I'm excited about this LTTP2 on the 3DS. Is this a remake of the original in 3D?

EDIT: Oh, it's really called LTTP2. So this is a sequel to LTTP? Google searched LTTP2 just incase though I thought this was called something else.

Sorry I've been out of the gaming loop. I'm excited about this LTTP2 on the 3DS. Is this a remake of the original in 3D?

EDIT: Oh, it's really called LTTP2. So this is a sequel to LTTP? Google searched LTTP2 just incase though I thought this was called something else.

lttp2.jpg

HD video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SE_xMCt9VLw

Portugeezer

It's not called LTTP2 officially, and it's not a remake but a lot of the overworld will be the same as LTTP.

Nice I guess, but until the perspective doesn't break once you barely tilt the 3DS, 3D won't ever be anything other than something I use now and then to enjoy the scenery.

It's not called LTTP2 officially, and it's not a remake but a lot of the overworld will be the same as LTTP.

Do we know that? I could be mistaken but I thought all we knew was that the game is set in the Link to the Past world and, at least in an early version, a (small) part of the world looks like the Link to the Past Hyrule.

Rich!

Considering it's officially called Triforce Of The Gods 2 in Japan, as shown in the direct trailer, you can bet it will be called Link to the Past 2 over here.

It's confirmed to be a sequel.

In this thread, people who don't understand how 3D works.

You aren't rendering twice as many polygons as 2D mode, that would be terribly inefficient. You're using the same model, and you're loading the same textures, you're just taking 2 viewpoints instead of one. You will have to render more objects because the slight perspective difference gives you slightly different FOV, etc, but you aren't doing twice the work.

Yes, this is more of a strain then a single camera, but it's definitely not DOUBLE the work... if it did, 3D modes would always half framerate at a minimum (anyone that has done 3D games on PC know this isn't the case).

As for the "120fps" thing, that's BS, the 3DS isn't "flipping" between two images every second, it's displaying the entire image "side by side", so the screen refresh rate will ALWAYS be capped at 60. Interlaced in any form would make zero sense on an LCD display, it would just make the image stutter.

Considering it's officially called Triforce Of The Gods 2 in Japan, as shown in the direct trailer, you can bet it will be called Link to the Past 2 over here.

Luigi's Mansion first game was called Luigi's Mansion in both Japan and NA, but it is called Luigi's Mansion 2 in Japan and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon in NA. Not saying it won't be Zelda: A Link to the Past 2 here (or Zelda III-2 to me) but that isn't a reason that supports such a claim. Things are named however NCL, NOA, NOE decide.

Rich!

Luigi's Mansion first game was called Luigi's Mansion in both Japan and NA, but it is called Luigi's Mansion 2 in Japan and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon in NA. Not saying it won't be Zelda: A Link to the Past 2 here (or Zelda III-2 to me) but that isn't a reason that supports such a claim.

I live in the UK.

it's called Luigi's Mansion 2 here. There's a precedent. NoA do their own thing.

Luigi's Mansion first game was called Luigi's Mansion in both Japan and NA, but it is called Luigi's Mansion 2 in Japan and Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon in NA. Not saying it won't be Zelda: A Link to the Past 2 here (or Zelda III-2 to me) but that isn't a reason that supports such a claim. Things are named however NCL, NOA, NOE decide.

NCL recently trademarked Link to the Past (in English) and Triforce of the Gods (in Japanese). They often trademark both the English and Japanese names of games.

Link:
http://www1.ipdl.inpit.go.jp/syutsugan/TM_DETAIL_A.cgi?0&17&0&1&18&137048553817427005107890
http://www1.ipdl.inpit.go.jp/syutsugan/TM_DETAIL_A.cgi?0&16&0&1&18&137048553817427005107890

I live in the UK.

it's called Luigi's Mansion 2 here. There's a precedent. NoA do their own thing.

And Xenoblade became Xenoblade Chronicles thanks to NOE, like I said though it may be called A Link to the Past 2 now but that is not a reason to argue it will be.

NCL recently trademarked Link to the Past (in English) and Triforce of the Gods (in Japanese). They often trademark both the English and Japanese names of games.

Link:
http://www1.ipdl.inpit.go.jp/syutsugan/TM_DETAIL_A.cgi?0&17&0&1&18&137048553817427005107890
http://www1.ipdl.inpit.go.jp/syutsugan/TM_DETAIL_A.cgi?0&16&0&1&18&137048553817427005107890

This, however, is a good reason to say so.

I don't see Nintendo NOT calling it Link to the Past 2... they are obviously nostalgia farming (not necessarily a bad thing) and you lose out on some of that when you don't keep the title.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the main name and a new subtitle (instead of Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2, it could be A Link to the Past 2: Ganon's Revenge or something else of that nature). A new subtitle would make it stand out a bit more in the US while dropping the superfluous "Legend of Zelda".

tsumineko

you're just taking 2 viewpoints instead of one. You will have to render more objects because the slight perspective difference gives you slightly different FOV, etc, but you aren't doing twice the work.

Yes, this is more of a strain then a single camera, but it's definitely not DOUBLE the work... if it did, 3D modes would always half framerate at a minimum (anyone that has done 3D games on PC know this isn't the case).

Er, that's exactly what I was saying... it needs to render two scenes, two images per displayed frame for the 3D to work.

120v

my fear is they're going to call it "Legend of Zelda: [name of mcguffin that turns you into a hieroglyph or whatever]" and it'll sort of fall through the cracks as another typical portable zelda

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I don't see Nintendo NOT calling it Link to the Past 2... they are obviously nostalgia farming (not necessarily a bad thing) and you lose out on some of that when you don't keep the title.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the main name and a new subtitle (instead of Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2, it could be A Link to the Past 2: Ganon's Revenge or something else of that nature). A new subtitle would make it stand out a bit more in the US while dropping the superfluous "Legend of Zelda".

how would you consider "The Legend of Zelda" superfluous? It would be unprecedented and I honestly don't see the point

how would you consider "The Legend of Zelda" superfluous? It would be unprecedented and I honestly don't see the point

Long names are long, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2 is essentially 10 words. When was the last time you saw someone write out it's entirety either? If we're referencing Zelda games, we do so by their subtitles, or abbreviations of said subtitles (LttP, LA, WW, TP, OoT).

Dropping The Legend of Zelda from the name allows you to still call the game A Link to the Past 2 while adding a new/interesting subtitle to draw people in. It also keeps it from being excessively wordy (though purists could always call it LoZ:LttP:XXXX since it would be implied)

Dropping The Legend of Zelda from the name allows you to still call the game A Link to the Past 2 while adding a new/interesting subtitle to draw people in. It also keeps it from being excessively wordy (though purists could always call it LoZ:LttP:XXXX since it would be implied)

The problem is that lots of people wont even know "A Link to the Past" is a zelda game, even if the box art makes it obvious. They need that Legend of Zelda logo to be on there in order to avoid confusion.

Top Bottom