• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: A Link to the Past II runs at 60fps in 3D

The problem is that lots of people wont even know "A Link to the Past" is a zelda game, even if the box art makes it obvious. They need that Legend of Zelda logo to be on there in order to avoid confusion.

I don't think there is anyone who plays Zelda that doesn't know the main character's name is Link....

Oh wait... actually I do... Point taken.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Excellent. I like that 3D isn't required for puzzles. My vision (right eye) is pretty lousy so 3D doesn't work for me.

Looking forward to playing this.

edit-

Holy smokes. Went back a page and caught the link for the HD footage.

At first I wasn't sure about the art style but I'm sold. Also, that music! So damn good. Can't wait to get this.

Eric C

But I thought Mario Kart 7 ran at 60fps with 3D on..?

I read it as all the previous 3D Zelda games were limited to 30fps

Not that all the stereoscopic 3D games on the 3DS were limited to 30fps.

Because Nintendo has actually been really good about 60fps stereoscopic 3D games on the 3DS. Not everything is but a lot are.

Guys Im pretty fucking sure that Skyward Sword and Windwaker run at 60fps. The n64 Zeldas were the only ones with a bad framerate.

nope
OoT & MM were like 15-20fps

Wind Waker was 30fps

Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword were both 30fps too

OoT remake on 3DS was 30fps

Is this the first Zelda above 30fps?

As was already said pretty much all the 2D Zeldas were 60fps

Vortex566

I read it as all the previous 3D Zelda games were limited to 30fps

Not that all the stereoscopic 3D games on the 3DS were limited to 30fps.

Because Nintendo has actually been really good about 60fps stereoscopic 3D games on the 3DS. Not everything is but a lot are.

nope
OoT & MM were like 15-20fps

Wind Waker was 30fps

Twilight Princess
Skyward Sword were both 30fps too

OoT remake on 3DS was 30fps

As was already said pretty much all the 2D Zeldas were 60fps

This I did not know!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This was to be expected throughout the lifetime of the 3DS. I'm sure everyone can remember the early days when the Nintendo DS was limited to its output of polygons on a single screen only.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Light World will run at 60FPS while the Dark World will be 30FPS to reflect its dodgy nature. I'm a genius!

The Light World will run at 60FPS while the Dark World will be 30FPS to reflect its dodgy nature. I'm a genius!

I'm surprised we haven't seen a game where you go to between a 2D and 3D world yet. Somebody get an indie game out that does that, stat for a quick and easy "indie" cash-in.
OMG My character is a silhouette! How artsy!

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I'm surprised we haven't seen a game where you go to between a 2D and 3D world yet. Somebody get an indie game out that does that, stat for a quick and easy "indie" cash-in.
OMG My character is a silhouette! How artsy!
super-paper-mario-wii-screenshot.jpg

Wouldn't it be running at a total of 120 fps in 3d? 60 frames per screen.

not technically no. unless you count split screen games as being however many frames multiplied by the number of viewports you have.

the 3DS isn't like a monitor that uses active shutter glasses, that shows 120 frames, but displays alternate frames to each eye. it renders both views at the same time and displays them simultaneously. so there are only 60 fps in a game like this.

Doczu

What if the last system update, which upgraded the performance of games, was made just to be sure that this game would run 60fps in 3D?
Conspiracy Keanu.jpg

TheMink

I don't think there is anyone who plays Zelda that doesn't know the main character's name is Link....

Oh wait... actually I do... Point taken.

Hahaha wut XD

Then again, you do name your character every time. But it defaults at Link, so i guess thats like not knowing that cloud is named cloud even if you named him something else.

M3d10n

It's rendering 120 400x240 frames per second. It's displaying 2 at a time at 60 frames per second. That's all I'm saying.

A split screen 2D game, given a game resolution of 320x240 at 60 frames per second would be rendering 120 320x120 frames. Technical!

Yeah, it's purely semantics. If you include the bottom screen it's 180 frames per second.

What matters is the actual game logic is running at 60fps.

In this thread, people who don't understand how 3D works.

You aren't rendering twice as many polygons as 2D mode, that would be terribly inefficient. You're using the same model, and you're loading the same textures, you're just taking 2 viewpoints instead of one. You will have to render more objects because the slight perspective difference gives you slightly different FOV, etc, but you aren't doing twice the work.

Yes, this is more of a strain then a single camera, but it's definitely not DOUBLE the work... if it did, 3D modes would always half framerate at a minimum (anyone that has done 3D games on PC know this isn't the case).

As for the "120fps" thing, that's BS, the 3DS isn't "flipping" between two images every second, it's displaying the entire image "side by side", so the screen refresh rate will ALWAYS be capped at 60. Interlaced in any form would make zero sense on an LCD display, it would just make the image stutter.

It seems someone doesn't understand how rendering works. You don't load textures or models per frame and the only way to display a model from a different perspective is to render it again.

When it comes to rendering, 3D is double the work for the GPU. Draw calls need to be issued twice, vertex shaders need to run twice, twice the number of pixels must be shader and rasterized. It's no different than split-screen gaming, with minor changes (scenegraph visibility information can be the same since the two cameras are too close to each other). It *is* different than running a game at double the framerate, which would require the entire game loop to be executed twice while 3D and split screen only need the rendering to be done twice.

The fact most games have similar performance in 3D and 2D is because they are often designed to run well in 3D and have capped framerates (there are a few exceptions, though). Also, some games can be simply CPU limited and their logic couldn't run any faster it already does.

Top Bottom