• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

bobawesome

I hope they fixed the bug where it stops being fun after 20 hours or so because you've effectively done everything and the challenge is gone

I wouldn't say I stopped having fun at 20 hours but that's around the time the disappointment started to settle in.

TheJoRu

I hope they fixed the bug where it stops being fun after 20 hours or so because you've effectively done everything and the challenge is gone

Meanwhile, I'm 110 hours in, have entire regions I haven't visited and just got my ass kicked by a white Lynel.

Vitacat

Meanwhile, I'm 110 hours in, have entire regions I haven't visited and just got my ass kicked by a white Lynel.

Yep. I'm at around 105 hours, having the time of my videogaming life (started with Space Invaders, Pong and PAC-MAN). Still have 3 divine beasts to go, and one region of the map to unlock. Every single time I play I find new things to enjoy. Today, for example, I
tamed and rode the Lord of the Mountain
. It was completely magical and the sort of sheer whimsy that makes me love Nintendo.

At 20 hours there's no way you've seen everything this game has to offer. I accept that no game is for everyone, not even BOTW which is basically my favorite GOAT now. But there is way more than 20 hours of quality content and gameplay to it.

Also, do not read guides or tutorials. So much more fun to discover everything yourself.

ryushe

I'm over 95 hours into the game and I JUST got to the 3rd divine beast and just died to the elements.

Looks like it might've dodged that "no fun" bug.

I'm 35-40 hours in, still haven't visited a large majority of the map yet, and the game continues to blow my mind and cement itself as my favorite game ever with every play session.

I had to restart this as i got a switch this week, so perfect timing. Much better than the wii u version and the framerate issues in the villages are more or less gone. Haven't quite got to that area where the framerate stuttered heavily yet though...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I had to restart this as i got a switch this week, so perfect timing. Much better than the wii u version and the framerate issues in the villages are more or less gone. Haven't quite got to that area where the framerate stuttered heavily yet though...

I'll been restarting too. Played about 10 hours on Wii U but ended up getting rid of it and ordering a Switch. My Switch isn't coming for about another 2 weeks :( It'll be nice to get better performance. The framerate didn't really bother me too much but around stables it was awful.

LiK

watched some side by side videos and there is some improvements but i'll wait for DF analysis for sure.

Haven't really been able to put patch 1.1.1 on Wii U through it's paces yet. Just got done exploring
Gerudo Highlands
tonight and just have the three regions north of it to explore. Been playing since the game launched, still have a bit to go but definitely in the final stretches. Have 89 Shrines completed and found about 400 Koroks.

The patch seems to have ironed out some frame rate issues on Wii U, at least in the region I was in. I also didn't notice any difference in LOD distance that I seen others mention.

Justinian

There is absolutely no difference in draw distance or detail on Switch. Anyone claiming otherwise is under placebo. IGN has a side by side comparison that confirms it.

Sure you would have. Using a guide on shrines seems anti-fun to me.

Just burned through the last 10 shrines in a few hours myself. Had I not done this, I may have eked a few more tens of hours out of the game. But they wouldn't have been the games best hours, and I got things to do. In all honesty, had I not done this, I probably would never have gotten to play those shrines, and there were some of the game's best in there.

Trojan

Sure you would have. Using a guide on shrines seems anti-fun to me.

I agree with this. I might use a guide to find shrines once I start getting to the hard-to-find ones, but I wouldn't want to spoil the puzzles. To each their own I guess.

GenG3000

I don't know. While the game definitely does get easier, you can still get messed up pretty good if you're not paying attention.

Combat ends up being a bit trivial with so many weapon and item spaces, no matter how many silver enemies are there, and ice weapons (especially ice rods) are completely broken. The game needed a more severe damage scaling system or a challenge to spend all those weapons, which I hope would be adressed in the DLC with hard mode and the cave of trials.

I can understand his feeling, but powering up is one of the most prevalent themes of the game.

Nevertheless, the game is beautiful in how it lets you tailor your own difficulty. You can still avoid expanding the heart meter and the inventory and make the most out of cooking, effectively creating a survival mode.

There is absolutely no difference in draw distance or detail on Switch. Anyone claiming otherwise is under placebo. IGN has a side by side comparison that confirms it.

Patch on switch is amazing.
It's fixed nearly all the frame rate issues i had (which were minor to begin with)
It's pretty much smooth the entire game now in docked mode, only problem spot left is a certain forest but that's been improved to the point were it's really not an issue anymore.

I have no idea about the wii u version patch because i lent my copy out to a friend but to me the switch version docked or undocked is now pretty much perfect.
Be good to see Digital foundry video on this but i'm very happy with the patch.

Calzone

Neo Member
It does seem like the framerate is generally better overall, but that problem in handheld mode where everything will freeze for a couple of seconds is still there unfortunately. I think that's a system issue tied to searching for wi-fi signals, though?

Justinian

It does seem like the framerate is generally better overall, but that problem in handheld mode where everything will freeze for a couple of seconds is still there unfortunately. I think that's a system issue tied to searching for wi-fi signals, though?

Are you talking about the freeze when you ragdoll a Moblin into geometry? That's a physics bug that's in both docked/handheld and Wii U.

85 hours in here, only visited one divine beast, still getting my ass kicked by stuff on an hourly basis.

Also, bookmarking for when your game comes out. ;)

Zelda-Materials-RockSalt.jpg

Mathieran

Banned
As someone who played for the first time this morning it seems like it runs pretty well in the Wii U. After reading all about the frame rate problems I was expecting a choppy mess, but for the most part it's pretty solid, save for a few areas I've encountered so far. I don't know what it looked like before but there is a pretty good amount of foliage/ground detail pop in but it doesn't bother me.

Justinian

Or, you know, any RPG ever. In fact, less than many of those.

Level scaling isn't a good thing though, so thank god for that.

I agree. The reverse difficulty curve is really not that apparent in this game, and it's very possible to run into hairy situations even when your character is pretty buff. Of course if you're going to explore the entire world and seek out every upgrade the game will become easier, but it feels pretty natural in this game.

Games like Witcher 3 on the other hand I couldn't even finish because the combat became so trivial and boring less than half way through.

Yes. Please consult the hive mind before making rash, independent decisions. :p

"Don't trust science! Go with your feelings!"

While it's pretty obvious from vids there is at least some improvement, what's wrong with waiting for a more thorough scientific take? And why the hell would you consider THAT hive mind versus simply jumping on the bandwagon with only gut feelings?

Anecdotal of course but after several hours on Wii U I feel like the framerate is greatly improved at the expense of grass and tree physics but that's just me. Definitely faster though even when I'm rocking my Hylian cape.

Spacey_god
Jobbs is creating his own game Ghost Song- surely he'll be able to craft a better twenty hours than this Zelda game delivers.

jacobeid

Banned

Seems like a you problem, frankly. 75 hours in and I'm still finding new and interesting things to do.

Jobbs is creating his own game Ghost Song- surely he'll be able to craft a better twenty hours than this Zelda game delivers.

Cold
and true.

I really wish they had patched in the ability to summon your horse once you teleport to a different region.

Stables should be for changing horses. Not having to backtrack just to go get your horse. How they thought this was good design is beyond me.

Top Bottom