• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

Zedark

Oh, something I noticed the other day, you get the option to eat things despite being on full health now. I don't think that was possible before the patch, but could be wrong.

You always could, it did warn you when you were about to do it that it would not have any effect.

I feel dumb. Came off of a week of not playing BotW (instead I was playing stuff on PC) and I was absolutely sure it didn't look that bad when I had played it earlier. I guess I must not have paid much attention to the aggressive pop in and terrible AO at the time. Jumping back in after coming off of PC is also quite the fucking contrast @__@

yeah the visual flaws it has are pretty easy to ignore when in the zone. the framerate was always the only thing too intrusive to ignore.

Not

Banned
I'm just barely making it to the 2nd dungeon now. Framerate improvements are SUPER welcome, bring it on

Ziocyte

I may be mistaken but I remember reading in the "I can't believe you can do this thread" that someone tried cutting a tree down onto an enemy and it had no effect. I did this last night (post 1.1.1 patch) and the tree fell on a bokoblin, knocked him down and killed him. So not 100% if this is new or not.

cackhyena

Updated the game. Entire console is frozen on the home screen. Gonna wait until the battery dies and see if it starts up after charging cuz nothing else is working fuuuuuun.

Maybe this was already mentioned, but I'm still getting the microstutter issue with Moblins when they ragdoll.

Yeah I've also seen it myself post-patch. Think it behaved the same as last time I encountered it, where it's like this stutter/lock-up when moblins go flying.

On Wii U, FYI.

mclem

Maybe this was already mentioned, but I'm still getting the microstutter issue with Moblins when they ragdoll.

Actually, I've had this now for the first time! Odd. Everything else seems a fair bit smoother, it's unusual that that seems to have crept in.

(I've killed *lots* of Moblins, though, and only had the stutter once - and that did coincide with it falling awkwardly on a divot. That might be related)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Updated the game. Entire console is frozen on the home screen. Gonna wait until the battery dies and see if it starts up after charging cuz nothing else is working fuuuuuun.
Press and holding the power button doesn't work?

Firebrand

Someone in the Switch thread mentioned holding the power button for a really long time, maybe upwards 20 seconds, will do a hard power off, try that.

Actually, I've had this now for the first time! Odd. Everything else seems a fair bit smoother, it's unusual that that seems to have crept in.

(I've killed *lots* of Moblins, though, and only had the stutter once - and that did coincide with it falling awkwardly on a divot. That might be related)

It seems to only happen when they hit the ground (or maybe, uneven ground) with a lot of force. I didn't see it for a loooong time until I started getting better weapons, and even then it's not happening every moblin fight. (All pre-patch, Wii U.)

It's kind of like the game struggles to figure out where their giant, lanky parts are supposed to ragdoll to.

Lynx_7

I may be mistaken but I remember reading in the "I can't believe you can do this thread" that someone tried cutting a tree down onto an enemy and it had no effect. I did this last night (post 1.1.1 patch) and the tree fell on a bokoblin, knocked him down and killed him. So not 100% if this is new or not.
For real? I tried cutting down a tree onto an enemy pre-patch and was disappointed as hell when it didn't work.

Forest area was chugging a lot for me today while docked. I got to the area for the first time post patch and it was very smooth. Not sure what was causing the poor frame rate this time

99Luffy

Banned
Could be just coincidence but I feel theres more wildlife appearances now. Birds especially. And I came across a dead guardian with an ancient gear. I dont think Ive had that before, its usually just screws and springs.

Is there a way to downgrade? Shadows look terrible on wii u now and the framedrops are as frequent as they used to be. I didn't even want to update, it just did it by itself when i restarted the machine. Kind of pissed.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Could be just coincidence but I feel theres more wildlife appearances now. Birds especially. And I came across a dead guardian with an ancient gear. I dont think Ive had that before, its usually just screws and springs.

Deactivated Guardians always dropped those.

Is there a way to downgrade? Shadows look terrible on wii u now and the framedrops are as frequent as they used to be. I didn't even want to update, it just did it by itself when i restarted the machine. Kind of pissed.

The shadows always looked like that.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that optimizations can be made without downgrading visuals?

A few people thought they saw lower shadow resolutions and then said that it must have been done to up the frame rate, and it took off from there. Technically we don't have anyone with videos to confirm it, and who knows if we'll hear from DF.

I have only been to a few areas since the update both docked and undocked and I can say that i've not seen hardly any issues in the jungle area since the update, I remember that zone dropping frames all the time when docked.

Bulbasaur

Banned
I'm getting stuttering now where I never did before. For example I threw my damaged weapon at a Moblin and the game literally froze for a second. Over 50 hours and that's the first time it's happened.

Edit - On Wii U

Zedark

I'm getting stuttering now where I never did before. For example I threw my damaged weapon at a Moblin and the game literally froze for a second. Over 50 hours and that's the first time it's happened.

Edit - On Wii U

The Moblin ragdoll physics seem to be causing a lot of problems everywhere, both on Wii U and both versions of Switch. What you describe has been registered before the patch as well, so my guess is it's some kind of bug that makes the ragdoll physics calculation go overboard and freeze the game while it is busy computing only that aspect.

Edit - On Wii U

Moblin freezes are a known issue that the patch did not seem to address. I'm on Switch, I've had it freeze for >5 seconds before, I was about ready to actually hit the home button or reset the console.

Bulbasaur

Banned
The Moblin ragdoll physics seem to be causing a lot of problems everywhere, both on Wii U and both versions of Switch. What you describe has been registered before the patch as well, so my guess is it's some kind of bug that makes the ragdoll physics calculation go overboard and freeze the game while it is busy computing only that aspect.

Moblin freezes are a known issue that the patch did not seem to address. I'm on Switch, I've had it freeze for >5 seconds before, I was about ready to actually hit the home button or reset the console.

Yeah ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess I'll try not to launch Moblins!

I have only been to a few areas since the update both docked and undocked and I can say that i've not seen hardly any issues in the jungle area since the update, I remember that zone dropping frames all the time when docked.

Same. It was my most hated area to visit. Much better now.

En-ou

Anyone know how to go back to the previous update? I'm on WiiU. I tried deleting the current update file and reinstalled the previous one manually but when I start the game it prompts that I need to update before starting.

I'm not sure if I never encountered the moblin freeze bug or if I don't notice it? I mean only after reading so many people mention it did I try to remember and thought "hmm, yeah maybe I saw it happen?" but it never felt like it lasts more than a second, and if I didn't know better I would have thought it was intentional/a stylistic choice... Didn't those combat freezes happen in Wind Waker too?

I'm not sure if I never encountered the moblin freeze bug or if I don't notice it? I mean only after reading so many people mention it did I try to remember and thought "hmm, yeah maybe I saw it happen?" but it never felt like it lasts more than a second, and if I didn't know better I would have thought it was intentional/a stylistic choice... Didn't those combat freezes happen in Wind Waker too?

You'll know when you hit this. Game will litterally freeze. It doesnt happe. All the time. I had it bad as hell last night. Literal 5-10s freeze with glitch audio. It can get pretty bad.

Anyone know how to go back to the previous update? I'm on WiiU. I tried deleting the current update file and reinstalled the previous one manually but when I start the game it prompts that I need to update before starting.
Are you online or offline? Try going offline after you delete the file again. I do not know if this will work for sure but it's worth a try.

I would say 1 in 100 moblins or goblin things that I kill about half a second after it's body is knocked into ragdoll the game pauses for up to a second, most likely calculating the physics.

It's not hit lag from heavy attacks or anything like that, the game just freezes up for a moment.

jacobeid

Banned
Same. It was my most hated area to visit. Much better now.

It gets a little framey when it rains, but it's still a great improvement. Oddly enough I only had the moblin freeze happen once pre-patch (about 75 hours of play) but it happened 3 or 4 times post-patch on the same enemy. Very bizarre!

So am I going crazy, or is the texture filtering slightly improved?

It bugged the heck out of me before because it looked to be nothing but bilinear filtering with the telltale hard line dividing the mipmaps. Since the patch I have a much harder time seeing the mipmap lines.
It's still not great filtering, but maybe it got updated to at least trilinear?

btrboyev

You are talking nonsense.? Shadows are 100% the same

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I never hit the freeze thing until last night. I was fighting 2 Moblins on Death Mountain and it was freezing after every hit. It was jarring as hell.

Top Bottom