• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

Is this the longest thread we've ever had over a stability patch? Not that performance isn't better and it's not cause for applause, but how much can we really talk about a slightly more stable frame rate?

This thread is longer than some OTs. We're 13/26 pages into this. Is this a Seinfeld thread? Because it's a thread about nothing.

I really wish they had patched in the ability to summon your horse once you teleport to a different region.

Stables should be for changing horses. Not having to backtrack just to go get your horse. How they thought this was good design is beyond me.

Yeah this is definitely a major annoyance to me. It should be like every other game that has mounts. It just runs in no matter where you are.

phanphare

Banned
Is this the longest thread we've ever had over a stability patch? Not that performance isn't better and it's not cause for applause, but how much can we really talk about a slightly more stable frame rate?

This thread is longer than some OTs.

one of the most well received games of all time addressed pretty much the main complaint with the game

one of the most well received games of all time addressed pretty much the main complaint with the game

Right. Of course. That's great. Like, I get that. I love it too and this is great news.

I'm just amazed we have sustained a thread for over 1,100 posts for "this is better, cool."

I'm really just musing. I think it's funny we've kept this thread going for so long and with such enthusiasm. I've been here every day, pretty much. What am I doing? Why am I here?

And yet, here I am.

psychotron

Right. Of course. That's great. Like, I get that. I love it too and this is great news.

I'm just amazed we have sustained a thread for over 1,100 posts for "this is better, cool."

I'm really just musing. I think it's funny we've kept this thread going for so long and with such enthusiasm. I've been here every day, pretty much. What am I doing? Why am I here?

And yet, here I am.

It'll die down after DF do their analysis. Lots of this thread is people guessing what's different.

It really makes the horse functionally useless. I haven't rode a horse in a week because I'm on the other side of the zone.

Come on. There are so many stables... You don't even need to warp to one since there's always one around. Get your horse from the stable guy, ride it till you need to be on feet again, rince repeat. Horses are optional anyway, you don't actually need one.

It'll die down after DF do their analysis. Lots of this thread is people guessing what's different.

Imagine an April Fool's joke where DF puts out a video that completely misrepresents the changes just within the realm of a reasonable adjustment. Like, "version 1.11 improves framerate by reducing the amount of variable NPC faces by one. This man (shown) no longer appears in the overworld."

"The patch corrects Hetsu's name to "Hestu", improving the forest experience somewhat."

So then we have another 30 page thread arguing over the result of the video. The mayhem would be insane.

rhandino

Banned
Done with the game, but did the WIi U get any improvements or is it just for the Switch?
Yes, most of the towns have been improved and some areas in the overworld are MUCH better (
Faron region and heavily wooded areas in Hyrule Field
) with the only section that seems to remain untouched being Akkala Tower.

FTFY. Damn, 215 hours in 4 weeks. I found my 75 hours to be a sizeable uptick in gaming behaviour for me, 215 just seems insane to me!
Benefits of being single, I guess =3

... to be fair I did cancel a lot of plans to go out with friends but meh, it's Zelda and this only happens once every few years so it's Ok.

pestul

I guess I'll go ahead and add this patch to my game (about 50hrs in) on Wii U. It doesn't seem like there are major negative effects.

At the 50hr or so mark, this is without a doubt the best game I have ever played and I've been gaming for about 32yrs.

Maebe

Maybe it was a good thing I was too busy to sit down with it earlier this month. Really can't wait to play soon.

I started a new game, and the starting area runs great. The area in the plateau with all the trees was rough, and now it's smooth. Really wish the game had shipped like this, otherwise the game runs so much better now.

I'm 35-40 hours in, still haven't visited a large majority of the map yet, and the game continues to blow my mind and cement itself as my favorite game ever with every play session.

I'm in a similar position and the game is truly a tremendous achievement and it's in a real battle to be the best game I have ever played. Every time I'm in a big grassy field I'm always hit hard by how beautiful that world is. I'm in no rush whatsoever to finish this one.

LordKano

This thread is longer than some OTs. We're 13/26 pages into this. Is this a Seinfeld thread? Because it's a thread about nothing.

It's that long because half of the posters are subject to nocebo effect and are seeing downgrades where there's nothing.

I wonder if they should make new patches more obvious in-system. I mean, it alerts you when you start a game, but I'd last launched Zelda several days earlier and was just going in and out of sleep mode. If I didn't know there was a patch thanks to the Internet, there's no telling when I'd have next launched it.
'Hetsu' is upsetting but I can't fault people for getting Kakariko wrong when it's spelled differently in like every game
Is it?
GenG3000 said:
The game does have a reverse difficulty curve though
Rodin said:
Or, you know, any RPG ever. In fact, less than many of those.
Ehhhh, gonna disagree with you there. Most don't let you go through the major objectives in any order you want. In BOTW there's not much difference in the difficulty of the puzzles/enemies/boss from the first divine beast to the last, except that by the last I had like 10 more hearts and much better equipment.

Zedark

Text summary? I'm worried about seeing areas I haven't been to yet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1357212

Several key points:

- No resolution changes between the post- and pre-patch versions;
- No LOD changes between the two versions;
- Handheld mode completely locked after patch, improvement from pre-patch;
- Docked mode improved over pre-patch, significantly so in some areas (like
Kakariko Village
).

Please note that NXGamer does these analyses as a hobby project, so he does not have the ability to test the whole game for the analysis. There may be drops he could not trace down, for example, so his statements about no drops carry this caveat. Still, the results are pretty good I'd say.

I don't know. I'm playing for the first time in a week and to me the visuals seems slightly downgraded? I mean, it looks softer whereas before it was crisp and sharp. I don't know if the patch has done anything?

Zedark

I don't know. I'm playing for the first time in a week and to me the visuals seems slightly downgraded? I mean, it looks softer whereas before it was crisp and sharp. I don't know if the patch has done anything?

NXGamer has done a test, there is no change in resolution or in LOD. I am afraid you might be suffering from a placebo effect.

Caelus

NXGamer has done a test, there is no change in resolution or in LOD. I am afraid you might be suffering from a placebo effect.

Specifically, nocebo effect if one thinks the game actually looks worse, which might result from the additional scrutiny (or lack thereof) people are giving the game.

Sucks if that happens though, adjust your TV settings folks.

En-ou

I really wish they had patched in the ability to summon your horse once you teleport to a different region.

Stables should be for changing horses. Not having to backtrack just to go get your horse. How they thought this was good design is beyond me.
It is good design to me. Makes me pay more attention to my companion. I've been playing exclusively on horseback and am having a blast.

I found having to unmount the horse to collect stuff to be annoying. The world is littered with loot when you first enter an area, I find going on foot more convenient. Also climbing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wish they would patch in the ability to remap controls. Feels like I'm stuck in 1986.

Teletraan1

Banned

I have only read this page but if only three other people had even a benign criticism like difficulty I could see there being at least 13/26 pages of "you salty" posts and silly response gifs. Game is perfect remember and is above criticism.

Drek

Not even remotely close to every problem with the game (I'm not going to call them complaints because many of them aren't even debatable).

But it's definitely nice to have. I'm playing on Wii U and there is a tangible improvement. Still choppy in some places, the high stress places especially, and I'd almost say the drop is more obvious now because it actually bounces back only to drop again a bit later in those areas, but overall an appreciated improvement.

phanphare

Banned
Problems = complaints, at least they should. Unfortunately the very real problems in this game aren't just being ignored, they're being spun into a false narrative in defense of the game at every turn.

you lost me

I was just saying they addressed the framerate which was the main issue that most people have with the game. every review mentions it, pretty much.

PtM

Banned
vc5lzCD.gif
I wonder how that kid will turn out.

Switch version here, a few dozen hours in.

Interesting how some people say there's more pop up and lesser draw distance and foliage after the patch. Or that it's blurry.

The game looks like before.

Also interesting how some wait for a DF analysis as if they weren't able to see and judge for themselves. "Framerate might be a little more stable? That MUST come at some cost! It seems definitely maybe less detailed now... I think... I dunno, please someone tell me what I see here!"

Seriously, you must force yourself to see worse graphics or more pop up than before. If an analyst would do an April's fool and falsely state a game would be 720p instead of 900p and had lesser blades of grass swaying in the wind after a patch, a mass hysteria would occur. Yeah, yeah, I absolutely see it, downgrade, you see it too!

Ok, let's say some things were really toned down in favour of the framerate: that must be so minor or well implemented, that you would only be disturbed by it if you had a side by side comparison (like in the Snake Pass analysis).

I'm revisiting certain places in BotW for more than 30 minutes now and cannot spot a difference. Framedrops have not vanished but the framerate is better. Very obvious in some forest spots, just glide down to the very first forest in the game from the starting point when you leave the cave. That was one choppy mess sometimes when hunting your first boars. Only a single minor framedrop during sundown for less than a second. Tested in morning light, noon, evening. Really much better. With no noticeable loss in fidelity.
Strangely, the noticable framedrop at the very beginning of the game (a few metres down the road after you meet the old man the first time) is still there. Reduced and in a smaller area, but still there.

Get the Switch update. And please quote and ban me if DF comes with a warning, that Zelda looks noticably worse on the first sight on Switch after the patch. Because then I would know, that I could not believe my own senses anymore.

Raitaro

^^^ Nice write-up!

Can someone ease my mind by confirming that this patch did not add a change to the way it is visualized when enemies on lookout spot you?

I only noticed this for the first time after the patch so it might be a coincedence, but the question mark above an enemie's head now seems to turn red gradually before becoming an exclamation mark to indicate when it actually saw you.

Like I said, I never noticed this before, only that a yellow/white question mark becomes a yellow/white exclamation mark after they spot you, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Edit: I need new glasses = confirmed.

Can someone ease my mind by confirming that this patch did not add a change to the way it is visualized when enemies on lookout notice you?

I only noticed this for the first time after the patch so it might be a coincedence, but the question mark above an enemie's head now seems to turn red gradually before becoming an exclamation mark to indicate when it actually saw you.

Like I said, I never noticed this before, only that a yellow/white question mark becomes a yellow/white exclamation mark after they spot you, but maybe I'm just crazy.

That was definitely there before the patch.

daxy

I feel dumb. Came off of a week of not playing BotW (instead I was playing stuff on PC) and I was absolutely sure it didn't look that bad when I had played it earlier. I guess I must not have paid much attention to the aggressive pop in and terrible AF at the time. Jumping back in after coming off of PC is also quite the fucking contrast @__@

Drek

I feel dumb. Came off of a week of not playing BotW (instead I was playing stuff on PC) and I was absolutely sure it didn't look that bad when I had played it earlier. I guess I must not have paid much attention to the aggressive pop in and terrible AO at the time. Jumping back in after coming off of PC is also quite the fucking contrast @__@

Judging by review scores and general reception neither did the vast majority of other people, so you aren't alone.

you lost me

I was just saying they addressed the framerate which was the main issue that most people have with the game. every review mentions it, pretty much.

Well, it's not like they've really fixed it, it's just less bad. At the same time if reviews actually meant a damn thing they'd probably have touched on the PS2 era draw in, the incredibly poor IQ, the shoddy hit detection/hit boxes, how jarring zero depth of field effects are in a 2017 game especially one so built around vertical transitions and distance, the wonky lock on mechanic, etc..

I see your point.

We should definitely have more Seinfeld threads.

Firebrand

Oh, something I noticed the other day, you get the option to eat things despite being on full health now. I don't think that was possible before the patch, but could be wrong.

Top Bottom