• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Joestar confirmed for Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS

That doesn't really matter. How many people thought of Captain Falcon as "the guy who punches things really hard" before Smash Brothers?
But he was always a big, beefy bounty hunter. It wasn't a huge stretch.

SS Zelda would require a complete overhaul of the character. TP Zelda is an established version of her the draws from many past forms with a focus on battle prowess and magical might.

q2pp.png

This face is killin' me right now.

i've always thought that every new smash entry should represent the most recent incarnations of the characters. like an update on where each property is at and give more exposure to all their last titles (e.g. a casual picking up the new smash and becoming aware of skyward sword). obviously sakurai has moved away from that now which is a little disappointing.
It's a bit hard when there are so many versions of certain characters, and many are so entrenched in people's view of the character. I think they way he tries to reference different versions, while using their most appropriate look for the game is the best option.

The most current iterations are not always the best. (Samus, anyone?)

I think TP Zelda is better suited for fighting. I can see why they decided to stick with that.

Pretty much I love SS Zelda's design as well as TP but she wasn't really suited for Smash Zelda's moves (especially as she doesn't even use arrows or any offensive magic). She was much more of a pacifist priestess.

I want a SS costume. :(

That would be wonderful but I doubt it considering the height disparity. TP Zelda was taller than Link but SS Zelda was a few inches shorter than Link. They would have to shrink the character model to make it work. Then again Male WFT exists so who knows?

What a stylish pose! Zelda's Bizzare Adventure, indeed.

I was expecting to see Skyward Sword's Zelda, which would have been cool, but Zelda from Twilight Princess is my favorite representation of the character. I'm glad that she's back.

Great screenshots all-around. Rosalina looks cocky, the Phantom Hourglass attack/assist trophy is intriguing, and Zelda's various expressions look great.

Anbec7

So...No sheik?

I'm happy she is back I just hope they did not remove her lighting kick attack!

EDIT: kinda funny that all her pics... don´t show her moves at all...

What are you planning Sakurai!?!?!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe for the next Smash game.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE ZELDA SWORD

I was really hoping that it wouldn't be the TP design, as it would've been neat to see each LoZ character with a design based on a different game, but it's not a bad design so whatever.

The picture with the Phantom is interesting, but I'm fairly sure it's just staged. I don't think they would go so far as to give TP!Zelda some sort of move based on ST's Phantoms, especially since her Special Moveset is pretty hard to take away from already... unless they change her Down-B, but I don't think that's happening, either.

Most importantly, DK has teeth for the first time! Excellent.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You should put sakurai's quote where he acknowledges that theres alot of female characters in this smash.

Haly

It's a long shot but if the Phantom is part of her move set and they overhauled it by drawing inspiration from other games where Zelda actually did things, she might bring out the sword as a special.

Christopher

But he was always a big, beefy bounty hunter. It wasn't a huge stretch.

SS Zelda would require a complete overhaul of the character. TP Zelda is an established version of her the draws from many past forms with a focus on battle prowess and magical might.

Dude...what? It's called a reskin, people want to play as characters they love in games DUE to their personalities in other games. Twilight Princess Zelda is so BORING

I don't know about her hand gloves, but she looks great overall.

Palutina and Medusa next. We need more female characters NOT from Mario games. We have plenty of those, and Medusa would make a great villain female character.

Dude...what? It's called a reskin, people want to play as characters they love in games DUE to their personalities in other games. Twilight Princess Zelda is so BORING
SS Zelda's personality does not lend itself to a fighting game. A passive princess stuck in a temple does not make a good brawler.

TP Zelda is the most battle ready version of the character. (Unless you count Sheik) She also happens to have an amazing design. I'm not sure why this is shocking to some people, especially considering the version of Link we also have.

I was really hoping that it wouldn't be the TP design, as it would've been neat to see each LoZ character with a design based on a different game, but it's not a bad design so whatever.

The picture with the Phantom is interesting, but I'm fairly sure it's just staged. I don't think they would go so far as to give TP!Zelda some sort of move based on ST's Phantoms, especially since her Special Moveset is pretty hard to take away from already... unless they change her Down-B, but I don't think that's happening, either.

Most importantly, DK has teeth for the first time! Excellent.
Sakurai has always treated Sheik and Zelda as distinct characters, so it wouldn't be far fetched to imagin him separating the two in order to give Zelda a much needed buff and do whatever with Sheik. As far as Zelda having something from ST, it's not that incredible considering her specials didn't originate with her to begin with.

DK has had teeth in Melee and in Brawl.
Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first screenshot of Smash 4 where DK shows his teeth.

Sakurai has always treated Sheik and Zelda as distinct characters, so it wouldn't be far fetched to imagin him separating the two in order to give Zelda a much needed buff and do whatever with Sheik. As far as Zelda having something from ST, it's not that incredible considering her specials didn't originate with her to begin with.
The only way I can see Sakurai pulling Zelda and Sheik apart is if he wanted to make Sheik into Impa from Skyward Sword, and with the current track record of SS Zelda reps I'm not sure how likely that is... plus it would take away a unique character attribute of a transforming character, and unless there are issues with the 3DS' ram or loading times limiting transforming characters, I don't think Sakurai would remove a unique character attribute like that.

I also don't think he's likely to take away one of Zelda's moves based on OoT's three magics, as it would be odd to take away one and leave the other two. And I don't think it's likely that Zelda's moveset, which is completely unique, will be reworked that much.

Jezan

She doesn't look as pretty as Brawl's, much less as TP's Zelda, but after seeing Link face in those screenshots, daaamn!
Sakurai redesign Link he is so horrible.

I would have liked to see SS Zelda or the return of OoT Zelda rather than this iteration of Zelda. Never liked brunette Zelda, so I'm hoping for the blonde alt to return.

Christopher

SS Zelda's personality does not lend itself to a fighting game. A passive princess stuck in a temple does not make a good brawler.

TP Zelda is the most battle ready version of the character. (Unless you count Sheik) She also happens to have an amazing design. I'm not sure why this is shocking to some people, especially considering the version of Link we also have.

..and the ICE CLIMBERS and The Wii Fit Trainer do?

Yuripaw

Banned
Is anyone else just really bored with this lineup so far? We got a few surprises early on, but I feel like for months, it's been nothing but characters you could easily assume we're gonna be in it.

..and the ICE CLIMBERS and The Wii Fit Trainer do?
Zelda is different because there are multiple iterations of her, many of them with battle capabilities. I think it's quite clear why this version was chosen.

WFT is obviously playing on the novelty aspect of the character. If there was a "warrior" WFT and a "pacifist" WFT, I think I know who would be included.

I'm not sure why you mentioned the Ice Climbers since they battle creatures all the way up the mountains.

Is anyone else just really bored with this lineup so far? We got a few surprises early on, but I feel like for months, it's been nothing but characters you could easily assume we're gonna be in it.
You can't front load your reveals too much, they have to stretch them out.

And precious few people predicted WFT, Villager and Rosalina, and many people thought Toon Link would be cut.

Haly

That thread title change.

So good.

Top Bottom