• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games [2-pack] announced (PS4/Vita, Spring 2017)

Kalor

I'll probably replay VLR on PS4 but I don't know about 999. Hopefully this remake fixes most of my problems with it (needing to replay puzzles, unclear on how to get the different endings).

I'm getting it but not sure if vita or ps4. Will probably go vita because ps4 is busy and haven't played on my vita for a while. Getting an entire franchise on one platform is always good news.

BTA

The VLR fanfic was years ago though.
ZTD was the true sequel we deserved

I'm happy you're enjoying this timeline a lot more than I am.

999's excellent and VLR's solid. Personally, VLR benefits from its more ridiculous sci-fi stuff being things that I specifically love, but also suffers from going out of its way to set up stuff that ZTD fails to deal with at all.

Some qualms about 999's DS-focused presentation aside, I'm happy there's going to be a good way to experience these games together.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't think that's the consensus at all. I know a portion of people think that but mostly the game was well received.

ZTD is in a really weird place where the average person likes it but the second you mention "what about ___ from VLR??" they legit have no idea what you're talking about because it's been so long since they last played it. It's really hard to defend it as a decent sequel if you even look at just one character being removed-- it invalidated so much of the second game by simply ignoring plot threads it said it'd address.

Like- you can't call something a decent sequel if game 2 ends John Smith's character arc with him preparing for game 3 as a huge plot point and John Smith never shows up because the writer forgot he existed. Changed their name to John Smith, but still.

Alternatively, ZTD was rewritten to avoid copying Ever 17 too much, which is dumb because he set up a character from Ever 17 to show up and then took it out after Uchikoshi directly confirmed that character from Ever 17 was indeed in the series.

DNAbro

ZTD is in a really weird place where the average person likes it but the second you mention "what about ___ from VLR??" they legit have no idea what you're talking about because it's been so long since they last played it. It's really hard to defend it as a decent sequel if you even look at just one character being removed-- it invalidated so much of the second game by simply ignoring plot threads it said it'd address.

ZTD's biggest problem is that some plot points are just plain stupid.

kromeo

Hopefully these are more what I was hoping Layton would be, where the puzzles are actually part of the story. Layton (I only played the first one) just felt like Brain training with a bit of light story on the side

ON
MY
VITA

Listening to Morphgenetic sorrow
Junpei Puns
SCIENCE BOY!

;__;

999 is bad so it's not like you're ruining much by skipping it.

X2UmkzFl.jpg

myco666

PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO THIS PERSON.

Playing VLR before 999 will ruin both games for you. Please don't.

As a person who has played VLR before 999, no it won't ruin either of the games. However I still think that playing them through in release order is the best way to go.

I'll probably get this on Vita when it comes out. I'll have all the games on that one system, which is always good. Wish it could have been just 999 to reduce price, but I can deal. I'm stoked for the new additions to 999 with the flow chart addition and improved visuals and all that! 999 still holds a special place in my heart and I still view it as my personal favorite in the series, so the additions should be enough for me to get it and play it again.

Wish enhanced 999 was coming to 3DS - would be the definitive edition.

Still not sure how I feel about voice acting for it either.

kswiston

I started 999 on DS years ago, but never progressed that far. I will probably buy the games on PC at some point and restart.

999 is bad so it's not like you're ruining much by skipping it.
I'm not gonna agree with 999 being bad, but I will agree with the sentiment of VLR being a great standalone story. Personally my enjoyment of that game's story didn't have much to do with callbacks and connections to 999. Zero Time on the otherhand doesn't work well as a standalone or a sequel.

DNAbro

So, is this twist everyone is talking about worth playing the game on DS? Or should I just wait for the Vita version?

It uses the DS very cleverly but the same idea can be done in other ways. DS version has ton of problems and is kind of annoying to get through.

Will it have the English voice-over on VLR in the EU, I wonder...

That said, I'm certainly importing this because HD 999+ Dual VA 999+ presumably Dual VA VLR is so cash. Having my two favorite games on one cart will be wonderful

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope I can just purchase 999 physically.

VLR is the weakest game in series but I still mostly enjoyed it, each game got progressively worst but they're all worth playing.

I do appreciate the biting sarcasm as ZTD not being included and this rerelease building towards a real 3rd game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So, is this twist everyone is talking about worth playing the game on DS? Or should I just wait for the Vita version?

I played the original on DS a ton, got all the endings, etc.
And I don't remember what was so special about the use of the dual screens. Neat I guess.

To me, it doesn't matter.

It uses the DS very cleverly but the same idea can be done in other ways. DS version has ton of problems and is kind of annoying to get through.

I actually played a friend's copy for a while and got a few of the endings, but I stopped playing because of the repetitiveness. When I heard teases of a Vita remake I decided to wait for that, but I'm reconsidering now. If he hasn't played it and the game still has my save file I guess I'll continue the DS version.

Top Bottom