• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) featured in Famitsu

GSR

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/707129396402847744

CdA6cHpUMAAiBf8.jpg:large

Famitsu's got an article this week covering the Japanese release of Zero Time Dilemma. No release date yet though. First screenshots in the bottom-right.

Fun fact: this is the first official acknowledgement by Spike-Chunsoft of the game's existence in Japan!

Cast names revealed:
Carlos (Tomokazu Sugita)
Akane (Miyuki Sawashiro)
Junpei (Suzuki Tatsuhisa)
Q (Toyosaki Aki)
Eric (Ishida Akira)
Mila Mira (Sakamoto Maaya)
Diana (Noto Mamiko)
Phi (Omigawa Chiaki)
Sigma (Ono Daisuke)
Zero(? - guessing on this one, there's only nine names in the article)

Update:

So from Hokanko, like upthread:

Release date TBD
Price TBD

Director: Kotaro Uchikoshi
Character design: Rui Tomono
Sound: Shinji Hosoe

The concluding entry in the Zero Escape series is announced.
10 characters are announced in the game's spread.
The event scenes are now rendered in full 3D and referred to as the "Cinema" parts.
The article says "except where noted, images from the Vita version", but only one image doesn't have any kind of note and it doesn't show any characters...

Story:
Takes place about a year after 999. Nine days after a group of people start living in a facility in the Nevada Desert together as part of an experiment [REDACTED] and then the watches and so on.

Characters:
Three teams exist, the leaders of whom are the protagonists.

TEAM C:
Carlos: A hot-blooded man with a strong sense of justice, who cares deeply for his younger sister, who is suffering from an incurable disease.
Junpei: After the events of 999, he joined a detective agency to track down Akane, who had vanished completely. Currently technically "ran away from home".
Akane: Though she appears to be a proper young woman, her true personality is Machiavellian.
[Two characters from 999 in this group.]

TEAM D:
Diana: A pacifistic young woman who hates fighting. Works as a nurse.
Sigma: Although only 22 years old, he seems to have led a long and complicated life. Occasionally called "old man" by Phi.
Phi: A curt young woman who joined the DCOM experiment to save the world.
[Two characters from VLR in this group, with Diana holding Luna's pendant.]

TEAM Q:
Q: A young boy who has lost his memories and who is wearing a mysterious spherical helmet.
Eric: A young man working at an ice cream shop going out with Mila Mira.
Mila Mira: A sexual young woman going out with Eric.

OTHER:
Zero: An unknown person hiding their identity behind a mask and disguise, who seems to be controlling the deadly games. Their goal is unknown.
Gab: An old dog able to fit through air vents humans can't and travel between sections of the facility.

Interview:
An interview with Uchikoshi is included.

Initially the plan had been to develop 2 and 3 simultaneously, but after the 3DS and Vita were announced they decided to make 2 and see how it went.
Because sales and fan demand was so strong in the West, they were able to get 3 greenlit.
The title felt very 'clean' to him.
The game aims to make the player question what is "right".
The player will have to make extreme decisions where there is no right answer - hence the "dilemma" in the subtitle. These will have an effect on the endings and the game.

All the mysteries of the past games and ZE3 will be solved.
He feels the game is even better than the past two. The three protagonists know nothing, so they'll learn about the past games through dialogue.
For the extreme decisions, often times they'll be accompanied by scenes where someone's life is on the line.
Because they don't want to soften the content, the game may be rated Z (it would be the 3DS' first.)
This game is mostly serious, so he put a lot of his "jokes" into Punchline instead.
He had planned to ask Kinu Nishimura to return as character designer, but once he hammered out how ZE3 would differ from the past games he decided to change things up. This was also because they needed to make the backgrounds and characters more cinematic.
He feels all the characters, new and old, really have strong designs this time.
They aimed to make the event scenes feel like you were watching a drama.
No narration this time, though there will be a few "tricks"...
It'll be a game you can enjoy standalone and the pinnacle of the series.

The reason for multiple protagonists was to show the tensions and killings between teams from many viewpoints, and they initially considered making Sigma a protag. If the player follows the route where he winds up like in VLR, something terrible may happen...

So yeah, three protags; from the way it's written, most likely Carlos, Diana, and Q(? - based on the character layouts, since his group is all new).

PS:

Heh, also good to note. I actually added to my Tumblr post that my initial pass was a quick translation ten minutes after waking up, so I would honestly be surprised if there weren't errors, especially given I was working off a summary.

May as well add this to the OP.

Update 2: Full article's been released. Stuff from takoyaki:

quick translation of the prologue:

December 31 2028 - the Nevada Desert. It’s been six days since cohabitation in the Dcom Facility started when the 9 characters wake up and find themselves locked up with a bangle on their left wrists. A person wearing a mask (Zero) shows himself and tells them that the “Decision Game” has begun. He calls it “A game that will determine if you, I and the rest of mankind will get to live or perish”

After that the characters are transported to an underground shelter were they will be housed and split up into three teams, labeled as C-Q-D.

Which team will survive in the end? The future of 8 billion people, all of mankind, will depend on their “Decisions”

edit: a bit more about the story/scenario

Six passwords are necessary in order to be able to return to the surface again. One password is given out after a person dies. Escape will be impossible if less then 6 people have died. It will be left up to the player to decide who will be sacrificed and if they will look for other ways (of escaping).

Names confirmed from left to right.

Akane, Carlos, Junpei, Eric, Q, Mira/Mila, Phi, Diana, Sigma, Zero

3 protagonists confirmed as Q, Diana and Carlos. Each the leader of their respective team. All of them are new characters, they will learn about what happened during the last 2 games through conversations with the returning cast.

short summary of the game-systems (all have the goal of giving the player a feeling of tenseness)

Escape Rooms are back

A new System where “Fragments” of the story are shown; many of them are locked and will unlock over the course of the game [ I think this is this game’s version of the timeline]

Fully voiced “Event Scenes” during the “Cinema Parts, similar to dialogue scenes from western dramas were the camera angle isn't fixed [the image of Carlos in front of the black background from the OP is an example of one of those Cinema Parts]

edit: new name of the game is "Decision Game"

Update 3: Official JP site open. Also corrected "Mila" to "Mira" above per an Aksys tweet.

Esque7

I really need to play the second game. 999 was one of my favorite DS titles, looks like a few characters are returning?

kubus

Wait, the character with the pig like mask on is a kid? You can see his legs, he seems to be wearing shorts.

takoyaki

Now that's a surprise, they really stuck with 3D models. Looks good though, reminds me of the Ace Attorney games on 3DS. Love the muted color pallet.

takoyaki

what I could read from the blurry image:

Zero Escape: Time Dilemma

The conclusion of the series: Escape from a future where mankind becomes extinct!

when is this issue of Famitsu available?

NotLiquid

... Huh. So we didn't get a mountain sized character after all.

If Participant 4 is the main character though, that would be one hell of a mindfuck.

Also Akane actually being involved, wow, can't believe I called it. This feels like it creates more inconsistencies with VLR though, but we'll see how it's pulled off.

Thoraxes

CHIAKI

OMIGAWA

YEAAAAAHHHH

Glad to see Junpei and Diana confirmed too! Junpei is such a bishie in his new character art lol

Even Miyukichi is showing up too!

Edit: Holy shit the whole voice cast is fucking outstanding.

artsi

I'm very interested in this game, but I haven't played the first two yet. What's the best way to play them?

Wazzy

Banned
I swear when the trailer drops it better have the main theme playing. It's been in both games trailers and I don't want them changing that!

NotLiquid

So I wonder whether Zero will be
the original one; an actual antagonist this time rather than simply a puppetmaster.

notaskwid

Cant make out much from this image, is Carlos the guy that looks like Chris Evans?
Also, should have spoilers warning in the name of the topic.

Yui

The redhaired girl (third from the right) looks kinda odd compared to everyone else.
Like she wasn't drawn in the same style originally and they just tried to make her look kinda similar.

Also, first girl from the left looks a lot like Phi to me.

notaskwid

The redhaired girl (third from the right) looks kinda odd compared to everyone else.
Like she wasn't drawn in the same style originally and they just tried to make her look kinda similar.

Also, first girl from the left looks a lot like Phi to me.
She's ugly (in game too).

VLR spoilers:
So how old was Quark when Junpei took him under his wing? Seeing a little kiddo named "Q" sets off my suspicions. I know that Junpei and Quark's age difference should be dramatically higher, but this series has used cryogenic storage before to throw off these trails.

Thoraxes

From left to right:

Akane, Eric/Carlos, Junpei, Carlos/Eric, Q?, Mila, Phi, Diana, Sigma, Zero.

Not sure which would be Eric or Carlos between those two, but I can't read the text on the preview shot cause it's too blurry for me.

Top Bottom