• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: Sony trumps Microsoft again with a confident comprehensive showcase at Gamescom

The exact same reason why people/Edge think that Sony won E3 (No DRM, Lower Price) is the exact same reason why Microsoft won Gamescom. (FIFA, Call of Duty, Fable); Business Decisions.

Sony didn't win E3 because of Games, they won it because the business decisions they revealed in the last 5 minutes of not having any DRM and the console being $400 cheaper changed the game. If it was "just about the games", then people would be disingenuous as say that Microsoft didn't have an equal or better showing than Sony.

As for this Gamescom, Microsoft threw major punches with a Call of Duty Bundle, FIFA 14 free, and announcing their 2nd biggest franchise, Fable which has always had huge success in European markets. Compared to that, Sony's plethora of 2-10 people Indie games, the vast majority of which are coming to PC and will eventually come to Xbox One as well didn't really turn much heads.

Edge keeps talking about how great PS4 is going in to the next-gen compared to the Xbox One, but lets see them do a piece on the launch titles. Because Microsoft has brought the games, and they've brought them hard.

Microsoft has brought the games. LOL.
Forza
Ryse
DR3
KI

Microsoft brought the games I love this thinking so much. Im willing to bet not one of those will score higher than a avg 83 and most a lot lower yet MS is bringing them games!

To be clear I think the same thing about PS4 it's a complete wash when it comes to launch.

Sony is playing things conservatively and they're not showing their full hand. They're focusing on launch titles for now. Microsoft is showing almost everything they have in development in a desperate plea to save face. Sony even admitted yesterday that they have games in development by Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, and other studios but they're choosing not to show those titles right now.
Sounds to me like Sony is the one making the desperate plea. Microsoft keeps showing more and more games at every event. And they also haven't unveiled Crackdown 3, Lionhead's 2nd team's project, Rare's 2nd team project, Microsoft Vancouver's project, Black Tusl's game, etc...

And where is Amirox because he and others like to boast soo much about how Sony hasn't shown all their cards and they're so many games in development when in fact Sony was just padding the first year list with Indie games.

I think both weren't great. Microsoft mostly talked about 3 new games, which one was Kinect based so was uninteresting to me personally. Sony introduced too many indie titles, and showed more trailers for past games, with a few new games but were trailers (except for some), and a release date.

Both were pretty bad for me (emphasis on me), and to be legit, EA blew them both away anyways. I know they just showed games, but they were truly the big highlight to me this gamescom.

Comparing Microsoft and Sony though, yeah Sony still did a better job I guess.

Sony didn't win E3 because of Games, they won it because the business decisions they revealed in the last 5 minutes of not having any DRM and the console being $400 cheaper changed the game. If it was "just about the games", then people would be disingenuous as say that Microsoft didn't have an equal or better showing than Sony.

No it wouldn't. When it came to the games, Sony absolutely had a better showing than Microsoft. It was embarrassing. Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, Destiny, Infamous: Second Son, The Order:1886, Transistor, Galak-Z, Outlast, etc....Those games mean more to more people than anything Microsoft had. The DRM and price were just the icing on the cake.

No one is posting reaction videos with people jumping up and down and crying over goddamn Titanfall or Halo.

Can some one please fill me in on what exactly xbone is launching with. I keep hearing they have the better launch titles but I can't recall what they have that's interesting.
I don't know either, last I saw it was 4 retail exclusives to 3. Plus multiplatform games for both.
Sounds to me like Sony is the one making the desperate plea. Microsoft keeps showing more and more games at every event. And they also haven't unveiled Crackdown 3, Lionhead's 2nd team's project, Rare's 2nd team project, Microsoft Vancouver's project, Black Tusl's game, etc...

And where is Amirox because he and others like to boast soo much about how Sony hasn't shown all their cards and they're so many games in development when in fact Sony was just padding the first year list with Indie games.
More and more..I thought they announced one game yesterday?

No it wouldn't. When it came to the games, Sony absolutely had a better showing than Microsoft. It was embarrassing. Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, Destiny, Infamous: Second Son, The Order:1886, Transistor, Galak-Z, Outlast, etc....Those games mean more to more people than anything Microsoft had. The DRM and price were just the icing on the cake.

No one is posting reaction videos with people jumping up and down and crying over goddamn Titanfall or Halo.
The first 3 you listed will also be on the Xbox though.

Microsoft has brought the games. LOL.
Forza
Ryse
DR3
KI

Microsoft brought the games I love this thinking so much. Im willing to bet not one of those will score higher than a avg 83 and most a lot lower yet MS is bringing them games!

To be clear I think the same thing about PS4 it's a complete wash when it comes to launch.
Well ever since the DRM fiasco you showed your true colours but there are still Crimson Dragon, Project Spark, and Zoo Tycoon. They don't get their due from people such as yourself but they are no less great games than something like Knack.

And would you care to make a wager bout hte Metacritic thing? I wager at least 4 games will get above 83 in this list:

Forza 5
Ryse
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Project Spark
Crimson Dragon
Zoo Tycoon

It's amazing how having one of your main series at launch is now a lackluster first party effort.

I'm going to be playing the fuck out of killzone. I'll be floored by naughty dog next year, and that's fine with me.

Well ever since the DRM fiasco you showed your true colours but there are still Crimson Dragon, Project Spark, and Zoo Tycoon. They don't get their due from people such as yourself but they are no less great games than something like Knack.

And would you care to make a wager bout hte Metacritic thing? I wager at least 4 games will get above 83 in this list:

Forza 5
Ryse
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Project Spark
Crimson Dragon
Zoo Tycoon

Ha true colors and what is that by being pissed by the DRM policy's? Ill take that bet. If you win ill buy you something real nice maybe a book.

Also Project Spark isn't a launch title and I have been calling out Sony just as much but I'm sure you avoid those threads. I think Knack looks completely mediocre and the only game I am interested in on their side is KZ.

hatchx

Banned

Forza 5
Ryse
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Project Spark
Crimson Dragon
Zoo Tycoon

Is 83 like the new number to determine if a game is good?

Ask BruceLeeRoy above why he chose it as a barometer to downplay the Xbox One's launch games.

It was arbitrary just popped in my head. Have you been actually educating yourself on any of these games? I watched all the Gamescom media available:

-Driveclub looks a little better but has big issues that make it look like a under-baked game.
-Knack looks boring
-Forza looks boring and doesn't wow graphically like it should
-Dead Rising 3 looks like a complete mess
-Killzone looks incredible visually. The 60fps game trailers mp video is unreal.
-Ryse screenshots look good as always but the Dev diary makes it still appear as mediocre as ever

Project Spark looks awesome but isn't a launch title.

Could people actually say some of the Xbone games instead of naming 2 and saying it has no games. I've seen tons of posts doing this already and it's biting at me for some reason. If your gonna say something has no games then at least list that you know what the console that your saying has "no games" actually don't have them.

Like this:
Ryse
Killer instinct
Quantum Break
Forza 5
Dead Rising 3
Sunset Overdrive
Spark
TitanFall (also on PC too but Xbone console exclusive)
Halo 5
Crimson Dragon
Fighter Within
Kinect Sports Rivals

Now people, this is a list of no games. As we can all see Xbone is going to release and have 0 games that anybody's interested in. I don't see any action for any action fan, any shooter for a shooter fan, any games for any fan of the kinect, or any racing game for a racing fan. (sarcasm)

Sour grapes. For years and years Xbox fans were quick to tout indie games as a major reason to pick the 360 over the PS3. Now that Sony is beating Microsoft at their own game the narrative has changed. I guess now indie games don't count.

RayMaker

Banned
A bunch of 360 up ports like dead rising, ryse, loco cycle, crimson dragon and even forza with pre baked lighting is not "bringing it".

Forgot to mention the 6 character ki lol.

So if a game uses pre baked lighting it makes it looks worse? even if it looks better then a games using dynamic lighting?

It does not matter what graphical methods devs use, what matters is how the games looks and performs in its final form.

RayMaker

Banned
Sour grapes. For years and years Xbox fans were quick to tout indie games as a major reason to pick the 360 over the PS3. Now that Sony is beating Microsoft at their own game the narrative has changed. I guess now indie games don't count.

and sony fans were saying the same thing about the PS3's AAA line up! and now MS is beating them at there own game.....

Ushae

Banned
Sony's titles do seem a bit bloated with indie games, but that's to be expected with the open door policy. But credit should be given where its due, they have some crackers in development like infamous, RIME and Killzone.

Drek

1. Crackdown 3 hasn't even been confirmed to be in development. Spencer simply said he'd like to see it come back "at the right time with the right developer". Realtime Worlds is dead. Ruffian is already committed to something else. Not exactly a ton of solid info there.

2. Lionhead having a 2nd team is entirely a rumor with very little substantiation. As of October 2012 (less than a year ago) they were laying off staff and only talking about starting one new project (which we now know to be Fable Legends). Before and Molyneux and Rance forming 22 Cans (Molyneux is a well known poacher from his previous studios) they had 100 people. For comparison Sucker Punch is a little over 80 people and only works on one project at a time.

3. We've seen no reason to think Rare is going to make anything other than Kinect titles at this point. They haven't made a top tier title in years as well. Pretty much all the key talent from the Nintendo days have moved on.

4. Black Tusk is Microsoft Vancouver. The later was renamed the former along with major staff turnover after cancellation of MS Vancouver's works in progress. Also, we've seen Black Tusk's game. What we haven't seen is any proof that they're capable of delivering a worthwhile title.

Also, I wouldn't call Sony's lineup "padded" with indie titles when they have the studio pedigree they've signed up. Pretty much every title they're pushing comes from a studio or lead with some legitimate pedigree to take note of. I'll take a Housemarque "indie" title over most retail releases any day of the week.

Con_Smith

Banned
and sony fans were saying the same thing about the PS3's AAA line up! and now MS is beating them at there own game.....

What are you talking about. Outside of multiplat games Microsoft's stuff is rather weak at best. Ryse? QTE unproven shit. Dead Rising 3? Capcom is the best at chasing the COD audience I guess. Worked for RE. Forza for people who love car games and Killer Instinct by some shoddy devs who aren't even Rare?

Again I have yet to understand the argument that Microsoft is all games. I hear the same few games, Titanfall included thrown around but nothing of the ones that would interest me (Quantum Break or whatever) at this point I feel people are really just getting it for DLC exclusivity more so than games because all the big shit under Microsofts belt comes from third parties anyway and nothing in house.

Meanwhile Sony pushes an indie agenda while still getting the same AAA titles as Microsoft and giving their top talent time to build block busters for next year? Yeah Sony "lost".

That would only be true if Sony did NOT have major first party titles in development. Sony hasn't shown a single title from their top tier talent yet.

It was arbitrary just popped in my head. Have you been actually educating yourself on any of these games? I watched all the Gamescom media available:

-Driveclub looks a little better but has big issues that make it look like a under-baked game.
-Knack looks boring
-Forza looks boring and doesn't wow graphically like it should
-Dead Rising 3 looks like a complete mess
-Killzone looks incredible visually. The 60fps game trailers mp video is unreal.
-Ryse screenshots look good as always but the Dev diary makes it still appear as mediocre as ever

Project Spark looks awesome but isn't a launch title.
You are so informed about these games based on the media released that you can now predict their metascores? Wow!

Ryse: Gamescom: Don't Worry About Ryse: Son of Rome
Dead Rising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08nhh2jlQqQ
Killer Instinct: http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/07/13/killer-instinct-glacius-vs-jago-720p-60fps-direct-feed-gameplay
Zoo Tycoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL1laOehO1s

These games are looking good-great to me. And I'm not even going to bother with the Forza thing. It looks phenomenal as always.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That would only be true if Sony did NOT have major first party titles in development. Sony hasn't shown a single title from their top tier talent yet.

Besides, Microsoft has long since abandoned the 360, while Sony keeps releasing AAA first-party titles for their aging platform.

Drek

So if a game uses pre baked lighting it makes it looks worse? even if it looks better then a games using dynamic lighting?

It does not matter what graphical methods devs use, what matters is how the games looks and performs in its final form.

What game has better looking lighting via pre-baked versus a game using dynamic lighting?

Because it sure as shit isn't Forza v. Driveclub. The Gamescom video of Driveclub trumps Forza 5 handily, the gap in lighting quality being only the most pronounced visual edge, and it's by a studio who are well known for not hitting maximum graphical fidelity until just before going gold.

Of course, it's at 30 fps while Forza is at 60 fps. That's a significant gap. But in terms of being a visual spectacle Driveclub's Gamescom alpha just blew past Forza 5. If Evolution hit their release video (which it looks like they will) it'll be a visual showpiece like almost nothing else in the genre.

RayMaker

Banned
What are you talking about. Outside of multiplat games Microsoft's stuff is rather weak at best. Ryse? QTE unproven shit. Dead Rising 3? Capcom is the best at chasing the COD audience I guess. Worked for RE. Forza for people who love car games and Killer Instinct by some shoddy devs who aren't even Rare?

Again I have yet to understand the argument that Microsoft is all games. I hear the same few games, Titanfall included thrown around but nothing of the ones that would interest me (Quantum Break or whatever) at this point I feel people are really just getting it for DLC exclusivity more so than games because all the big shit under Microsofts belt comes from third parties anyway and nothing in house.

Meanwhile Sony pushes an indie agenda while still getting the same AAA titles as Microsoft and giving their top talent time to build block busters for next year? Yeah Sony "lost".
Ok so you disagree, thanks for the reply.

offshore

Both conferences were tedious. They both just reaffirmed and rehashed things we already knew about or had already seen. Sony's indy push is nice, but it's not what the mass market are going to rush out to buy a PS4 for. MS tying up deals with FIFA and CoD is much more significant.

Or it would be, if it wasn't for that retarded $500 price.

RayMaker

Banned
What game has better looking lighting via pre-baked versus a game using dynamic lighting?

Because it sure as shit isn't Forza v. Driveclub. The Gamescom video of Driveclub trumps Forza 5 handily, the gap in lighting quality being only the most pronounced visual edge, and it's by a studio who are well known for not hitting maximum graphical fidelity until just before going gold.

Of course, it's at 30 fps while Forza is at 60 fps. That's a significant gap. But in terms of being a visual spectacle Driveclub's Gamescom alpha just blew past Forza 5. If Evolution hit their release video (which it looks like they will) it'll be a visual showpiece like almost nothing else in the genre.

Ok so your think Driveclub looks better and I think forza does, so who does that make right?

no one, because weather something looks better is not fact, its personal opinion.

same never ending argument ,different day, I'am moving on from this vicious cycle of debate.

This is a load of crap. Microsoft has consistently had great and exclusive XBLA lineups for the past few years along with a couple of major AAA titles for the fall. But the atmosphere here was as if Microsoft hadn't done shit because Sony was releasing MORE first party titles from their worldwide studios.

So this is not some conspiracy against Sony. People generally tend to value AAA titles more than small Indies games, especially at the start of a new generation when they're going out of your way to spend $500+ at a new console launch. They want to see games that are a step above the games they could've been playing 5 years ago.

Huh?! Where did I say anything about MS or Xbla? I agree, they have released a lot of great Xbla games, so what's your point? Of course people want to see AAA games, but I think that both systems have shown plenty of first and third party AAA to last for the launch period. I and many others also enjoy the variety brought by smaller games in addition to high budget titles. I just think its odd how so many people complained about AAA games this gen and now I'm hearing so many complaints about their supposed absence in the next gen systems.

Forza 5
Ryse
Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Project Spark
Crimson Dragon
Zoo Tycoon

This is stupid. Metacritic needs to die as a measure of quality.

That said, outside of Forza, I don't fancy your chances of winning this bet.

Ryse will be knocked points simply because of it's mechanics, No matter how pretty it is, it is not as polished gameplay wise as the Batman games and that's me being extremely nice.

Dead rising seems to have serious technical issues and is a franchise that is very hit and miss.

Fighters generally have an uphill struggle to score above 80% and KI is going to be the most content sparse fighter in a very long time, if not ever. If TTT2 only managed 82%, KI has a long road ahead. Shouldn't of spent the whole dev budget on MOAR SPARKS!!

Project Spark may not even be reviewed as a game. It seems people will look at it more like an app.

Not enough has been shown of Crimson Dragon to make an assessment either way.

As for zoo tycoon, Kinect games are notoriously low scoring, bar dance central.

Looks like Edge's opinion has brought the worst out in some people. It's crazy how people call out Edge as biased because of an opinion piece of one person because they don't agree. I'm sure if it was the opposite opinion, they'd be people putting in their subscriptions and saying Edge is spot on.

I completely agree with them though. Sony had a much better showing. They announced games, a varied and unique batch of games, both indie and from their partners and studios, other content, price drops and full launch details. MS showed some trailers of games we already knew about, some launch details but missed the important one... the release date and announced one new game?

While I don't think the Sony conference was stand out or anything, they did a much better job and deserve the "win" for putting the effort in and making plenty of announcements.

GrayFoxPL

Something I made
izGVV9Alr17MM.gif

You are so informed about these games based on the media released that you can now predict their metascores? Wow!

Ryse: Gamescom: Don't Worry About Ryse: Son of Rome
Dead Rising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08nhh2jlQqQ
Killer Instinct: http://ca.ign.com/videos/2013/07/13/killer-instinct-glacius-vs-jago-720p-60fps-direct-feed-gameplay
Zoo Tycoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL1laOehO1s

These games are looking good-great to me. And I'm not even going to bother with the Forza thing. It looks phenomenal as always.

I have to admit Zoo Tycoon looks pretty dang entertaining. The rest really do look rough though man. We're just never going to see eye to eye on this.

The exact same reason why people/Edge think that Sony won E3 (No DRM, Lower Price) is the exact same reason why Microsoft won Gamescom. (FIFA, Call of Duty, Fable); Business Decisions.

As for this Gamescom, Microsoft threw major punches with a Call of Duty Bundle, FIFA 14 free(1), and announcing their 2nd biggest franchise, Fable which has always had huge success in European markets(2). Compared to that, Sony's plethora of 2-10 people Indie games, the vast majority of which are coming to PC and will eventually come to Xbox One as well didn't really turn much heads(3).

Edge keeps talking about how great PS4 is going in to the next-gen compared to the Xbox One, but lets see them do a piece on the launch titles. Because Microsoft has brought the games, and they've brought them hard.

1. Free FIFA really isn't a big deal. It's pre-orders only and limited to to a certain number.

2. It's really only a big success in the UK, Fable isn't really a big deal elsewhere in Europe.

3. Rime, Rapture, Resogun and others are all SCE published and XDev so they will stay exclusive. Just take a look at the Rime thread to see the kind of buzz it is getting.

jWILL253

Banned
Microsoft showed off the exact same games from E3, announced a couple more (Fable Legends looks good), and threw together a FIFA bundle as an apology for all the reneging on the European launch. Still no release date.

Sony dropped the price on the Vita and its memory cards, dropped the price on the 12GB PS3, announced partnerships with ISP's, announced more media apps, announced a CRAPTON of new games for all three Sony platforms, indies and traditional alike, showed off seamless Remote Play functionality with AC4, announced some exclusive DLC for Watch_Dogs, announced over 1,000,000 preorders with still less than 3 months until launch, announced a release date for the PS4, with 32 nations getting the PS4 within the first year.

The whole "Mocrosoft won" sentiment only exists on GAF, for some reason...

IcyEyes

Microsoft showed off the exact same games from E3, announced a couple more (Fable Legends looks good), and threw together a FIFA bundle as an apology for all the reneging on the European launch. Still no release date.

Sony dropped the price on the Vita and its memory cards, dropped the price on the 12GB PS3, announced partnerships with ISP's, announced more media apps, announced a CRAPTON of new games for all three Sony platforms, indies and traditional alike, showed off seamless Remote Play functionality with AC4, announced some exclusive DLC for Watch_Dogs, announced over 1,000,000 preorders with still less than 3 months until launch, announced a release date for the PS4, with 32 nations getting the PS4 within the first year.

The whole "Mocrosoft won" sentiment only exists on GAF, for some reason...

I can't agree more. A quote for you!

I mean, Sony didn't drop any "bomb" but the whole conference was pretty good !
Well, to be honest they dropped a bomb : Shadow of the Beast, but I can understand it's a bomb only for some people.
Oh wait, I know we all already played Borderlands 2 on PS3, but I think its a pretty nice port for Vita (just to mention something that has popped in my mind right now!).

Drek

Ok so your think Driveclub looks better and I think forza does, so who does that make right?

no one, because weather something looks better is not fact, its personal opinion.

same never ending argument ,different day, I'am moving on from this vicious cycle of debate.
Then why did you feel compelled to start the debate?

Also, it isn't personal opinion that Driveclub's lighting engine beats the shit out of Froza's, or that it's superior lighting engine adds a ton to the visual quality of the game.

I mean, someone could argue that they think Gran Turismo 1 looks better than Gran Turismo 6. That's their opinion, right? They'd be wrong in every technical sense, sure, but hey, opinions!

Sweep14

There is no Lionhead's 2nd team project : The whole studio is on Fable Legends.
Black Tusk game has been teased and unveiled at E3. MS has revealed near everything they got for 2013-2014.

jond76

Banned
Holy crap! Console wars in full effect! Its like the front lines in here.

I think both companies will do fine. Yall are just arguing preferences in here.

It really bums me out that people don't see high-profile indie games (most of which I'm incredibly excited for) as a value-add. Sony is offering a wide variety of experiences for the PS4's first few months.

This isn't to say that Xbox One doesn't also have some great stuff at launch--it'll be hard for me to skip Crimson Dragon in particular--but the rest isn't terribly exciting for me.

Top Bottom