• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
turk128 said:
So... would tomorrow be the last update before this thread closes down?

The site will most likely keep updating after the North American release. I'd assume that the thread will be kept open as long as the Dojo continues to update.

Gengar was always my favorite, with #006 coming in a close second.

Anyway, for the doubters, (or just the one doubter) R.O.B. is a lot of fun to use, and his inclusion was totally validated in my eyes after just a minute of using him. Heck, he might even become my secondary.

Its nobody but Nintendo's fault that we were all forced to read the spoilers. They delayed this game an entire month for no reason, while the Japanese version has been out already for awhile. If they had to stuck to the original date, I would have made the effort to not read the spoilers, after all it was just a couple weeks. This delay was for nothing and it's bullshit. Doesn't matter anymore, the wait it almost over.

Fenix

VindicatorZ said:
Its nobody but Nintendo's fault that we were all forced to read the spoilers. They delayed this game an entire month for no reason, while the Japanese version has been out already for awhile. If they had to stuck to the original date, I would have made the effort to not read the spoilers, after all it was just a couple weeks. This delay was for nothing and it's bullshit. Doesn't matter anymore, the wait it almost over.

Uh.

VindicatorZ said:
I don't think anybody was forced to (no discipline really necessary). The delay wasn't for nothing either but that was nothing new with Nintendo. I could have stayed 100% spoiler free if I wanted but I couldn't resist the music since I'm a game music whore and wanted the inevitable cracked soundtrack torrent the minute it was released.

I didn't go spoiler free for Melee because that was impossible since I worked for Nintendo that summer and fall for their NClub.

scottnak

grandjedi6 said:
No I haven't :lol

But my mind has been blown. ROB?! I guess he is this game's Mr. Game & Watch
jon_stewart_heart2.gif

Glad to see you're still here unspoiled with us :p

I think the delay was for nothing. It was delayed 1 week in Japan and then almost an entire month in the United States, completely ruining any chance of staying spoiler free. By now there's a million videos on youtube, they don't even use the "NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING" on the Dojo anymore, it doesn't even matter anymore.

I always kind of thought of spoiling the stuff on the Dojo as the equivalent of finding out stuff as I played the game. I'll never forget refreshing the page to find that Sonic was a new challenger. I jumped out of the seat. literally. I just feelt that the extra month delay made it much harder to hold out on spoilers especially for fans who are just begging for the game.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Since most of us have seen the spoilers for the game already is this basically a way for us to act all sagely in the presence of grandjedi6?

Jiggy

~So today we--hey, wait. What happened to Tuesy's report? GUY MODE, you slacker! Finish your old section already so I can do mine!~

Eesh, okay.

March 4th Smash Bros. Dojo status report

The hall echoed with murmurs of Donkey Kong's triumphs on that day he was set to return; the nobles claimed he would come in grandeur and in grandeur he did,

~guy mode~
what
~you're acting really lame~
so
~remember like dragona banning pureauthor's fanfiction from sales threads too~
oh yeah :(

-Donkey Kong staked his claim with the 30th stage and (what was) the 28th special moves update. (Special moves had entered a tie with final smashes that day.) The two combined for the 38th double update overall.

-Donkey Kong as a series jumped to 10 updates, besting Metroid and tying Zelda.

-Our five least recently-updated series had become Kid Icarus (September 3rd on a technicality), Animal Crossing (September 26th), Nintendo DS (October 22nd), Wario (December 24th), and Kirby (December 28th). Speaking of, where are our Animal Crossing and Nintendo DS characters?

-Ice Climbers got a screenshot and surpassed Sonic at a new count of 39. Captain Falcon got two and broke his old tie with Ness, moving to 15. Lucario got one and tied rival Pokemon Charizard at 22. King Dedede got six screenshots thanks to being smacked around by Donkey Kong, and hit 82, but passed exactly nobody in the process.

-Donkey Kong, meanwhile, appeared in ten screenshots and moved from 73 to 83, passing Pikachu (74) and King Dedede (82) and tying Fox (83). Saith DK: "Anon that lout Pikachu liest fully slain, and Dedede doth I call a worthy rival--yet felled at the last stretch. With these victories I claimeth my old battleground of 75m. Still never do I rest, though this next foe to approach be no folly or fodder: it is Fox, whose fame be known far, of whom fear be felt, whose ferocity may not soon be forgotten from that old land of Melee. I do swear it, in sooth, this man I shan't underestimate."

~hey what about Peach she got a shot too but I do hate her but still~
she didn't pass anyone so she's not worth mentioning now go on and do your section i'll even leave you alone for this update only and won't interrupt
~wow so much trust do you promise~
yes
~okie!~

March 6th Dojo Statsies

~Please welcome Robby, our 32nd friend! Or should we call him Robo?~

~Thursy and Fri-chan each introduced us to 8 of those friends, so why not a little applause for them? ^__^ Get your cheerleading outfits! Yes, guys too. Buy an Ouendan outfit if you like so you can still feel manly and stuffs. Anyway, let's recap! Thursy had cutie Kirby and Pikachu, ugly Donkey Kong, uglier Zero Suit Samus, King Dedede, Lucario, and Robby. Oh, and princess Marth too. Fri-chan had Pit, Real Samus (sorry Thursy, I still love you!), yucky Peach, Ice Climbers, Snake (he's not really a snake, that's just his name), Ness, Luigi, and Captain Falcon. So Thursy's ahead for new friends, anyway~

~Zelly showed up for one picture and it's probably the best picture anyone took with Robby, but it's not enough to beat evil stupid Peach and her evil stupid shoes. Zelly's too shy, that's all. ;_; But she's a prettier princess, really! It's too obvious whenever Peach wears those sports outfits. She's like a twig. A twig! And plus her head is huge. Oh, am I too far off-track?~

~Real Samus had a picture too and she's back with Pit, and Mario's brother Luigi had four pictures, so he's at 23 and he's past Marth and Luke.~

~So, like, Robby doesn't really have a series. But DS-tan didn't either, so I'll just ignore that and we'll say he has two updates, because he has himself and his moves~

Ch-chotto matte! ;_; Thursy, you're doing those stealthy thingies again... You can't! I--I won't let you! Just because Fri-chan did-- What's that? I'm supposed to call these real because they're for "secret characters" and Cherry-don doesn't want to make separate updates for their special moves because then they'd all have to be spoilerized and it would look ugly? I understand not wanting things to look ugly. I do! But still, we've always said they're ste-- Yes, it's true, he promised he wouldn't say anything, so I guess that's like I have free reign. You're saying I should change our past? C-c-can I do that? I guess I can!

~Okie, so, like, the past just changed and all. It did! You just need to believe. So basically what's different about our old past and our new past is in our new past Luigi, Falco, the Captain, Luke, and Robby's special moves and FS-thingies-which-I-won't-name count for real updates. Yep! *^^* And that means Thursy still never cheated, and also she and Fri-chan each have two more real double updates, triple updates, and special moves. Fri-chan has two more FS thingies, and Thursy has one more, because Robby actually didn't have his. (Robby's "series" doesn't have a stage either, so it's the only one like that.) Oh, and Wendy has one more for each of those categories too because she introduced Falco. I'm so proud. Yep!~

~Well, that's all I have for today. Ja ne!~

Jiggy

I was waiting to post that for like half an hour because my internet was down. >_> Also I'm still feeling two hours backward in terms of time zone, so yeah.

Edit: You know, I just realized that ROB's final smash is actually nowhere to be found in this update. But I'm not about to go and fix that in my files and my post at this time of morning. >_> Edit 2: I'm too obsessive-compulsive. Fixed!

PBalfredo

VeritasVierge said:
WTF? ROB? That is so goddamn stupid for a playable character!
WHAT THE FUCK?! ROB!??!
Looks like some people need an edumacation in gaming history.

January, 1984. Fledgling startup Nintendo of America is attending the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. It's handing out flyers with three images on it. One is of a television playing Pong, one of a TV playing an Atari 2600 style tennis game, the next is a veiled box with the legend "The evolution of the species is now complete." What were they showing? A new game console that was all the rage in Japan. There it was known as Famicom, here it would be known as the Nintendo Entertainment System. Plenty of buyers and executives from all over the business world stopped by Nintendo's tiny booth to see this new video-game console in action. The brochures didn't lie. The graphics and games available for the NES were light years beyond anything the Atari 2600 or any other game console was capable of producing. Everyone agreed that the NES was a fantastic piece of technology.

Number of orders for the system? Zero.

It was 1984, the year after the entire American video-game market had crashed. Consumers, burned way too many times on a glut of truly horrendous software created for the Atari 2600 in previous years, decided to react by not buying any more games. Many third-party companies went out of business, others lost millions of dollars, and executives who had invested their careers in the meteoric rise of video-game culture lost their shirts, and often their jobs. The conventional wisdom was that video games were a fad whose bubble had finally burst. Nobody was going to waste valuable store space on a product that would never sell. "Consumers have moved on" everybody said, "Video games are dead." It didn't matter how good the NES was, it would never take off.

That was the inspiration for the creation of one of the most reviled and vastly unappreciated gaming peripherals ever created. R.O.B., or Robotic Operating Buddy. R.O.B. was gray, one foot tall, spun on a little axis, and didn't do much else. He was ostensibly designed to work with two truly awful games: Gyromite and Stack-Up. That, however, wasn't R.O.B.'s true purpose. R.O.B. (along with a light gun that also came packaged with the system) was a product designed for one thing and one thing only -- to allow Nintendo's salespeople to approach big retailers like Toys R Us and say "Oh, no this isn't a video game. It's a toy." They even built a whole marketing campaign around it that drastically de-emphasized the role of the TV in the product and played up the robot and light gun.

It worked. Not entirely, of course. Buyers aren't stupid, even when they're being remarkably shortsighted. The strategy of marketing the NES as a toy (along with favorable consignment terms), convinced enough retailers in the New York City area in the summer of 1985 to stock the product for a valid test market. Everyone assumed that would be the end of it. New York City was the area that had been hardest hit by the crash, it had been the dumping ground for millions of discounted Atari 2600 cartridges that were still cluttering up bargain stores and .99 cent bins. If the NES could sell here, there was a slight chance it might work elsewhere. The smart money had Nintendo of America out of business by January.

How did it work? Beautifully. The commercials touting the R.O.B and the light gun as "The Toy of The Future" didn't fool any kid under fifteen for a second. They knew what they were seeing -- this was a video game! Consumers weren't tired of video games, they were tired of bad video games. The commercials also gave kids a powerful argument to convince their gun-shy parents to purchase the product. "Oh no, Mom, it's not a video game -- it's a toy robot! See the robot? Can I have it, Mom? Please, please, please, please, please?!?"

By the end of its first year, Nintendo had sold one million NES systems. Retailers, analysts, and consumer electronics journalists remained skeptical, considering it a temporary aberration. The second year, the company dropped R.O.B., and just sold the gray box on its own. "Aha!" the smart people said, "Here's where the rubber meets the road! Video games are dead and you don't even have R.O.B. as a cover anymore." That year Nintendo of America sold three million systems. There was no longer any doubt, video games were back and Nintendo was the future.

Source

Basically, this little guy saved video games!

Now you know why R.O.B. is awesome.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Robot is actually a pretty cool ass character.
I'm glad they're calling him R.O.B. in the US version. Just wouldn't feel right otherwise.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Anyone who thinks R.O.B. is lame will likely fall in love with him in the game. He's a lot of fun to play as and actually pretty powerful. (His Up-B is INSANE. You can literally use as many physical attacks as you want during the Up-B... so it's like: Up-B to boost a few feet, attack, boost a few more feet again, attack, boost s'more... etc etc)

He has a lot of charm in the game too. And he definitely deserves a spot on the roster as he's a part of Nintendo's history (just like Game 'n Watch!)

Another interesting tidbit... I predicted R.O.B like 8 months ago (BEFORE he was shown as an SSE enemy) :lol I'm too lazy to look up the post, though. I tried to think of some character Nintendo could reach back into their history to find (again like G&W) and he seemed to fit the bill. *toot toots own horn*

But again, yeah, give R.O.B a chance before you hate! Look at his cute lil eyes :eek:

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I can't believe I left before the epic stats post. >_<

RevenantKioku said:
I'm glad they're calling him R.O.B. in the US version. Just wouldn't feel right otherwise.

I knew they were going to change R.O.B's name. It's the name that people know him by in North America.

scottnak

MrCheez said:
Anyone who thinks R.O.B. is lame will likely fall in love with him in the game. He's a lot of fun to play as and actually pretty powerful. (His Up-B is INSANE. You can literally use as many physical attacks as you want during the Up-B... so it's like: Up-B to boost a few feet, attack, boost a few more feet again, attack, boost s'more... etc etc)

He has a lot of charm in the game too. And he definitely deserves a spot on the roster as he's a part of Nintendo's history (just like Game 'n Watch!)

Another interesting tidbit... I predicted R.O.B like 8 months ago (BEFORE he was shown as an SSE enemy) :lol I'm too lazy to look up the post, though. I tried to think of some character Nintendo could reach back into their history to find (again like G&W) and he seemed to fit the bill. *toot toots own horn*

But again, yeah, give R.O.B a chance before you hate! Look at his cute lil eyes :eek:
I'm almost certain I noted that while looking through my sections. A bunch of my notes were off-the-cuff predictions.. I think i noted a bunch of your posts actually... haha.

2.5 days to gooo!

Monocle

R.O.B. is most definitely a worthy addition to the roster. At first I was extremely skeptical when I discovered his existence through spoilers, but some match videos on YouTube changed my mind. He looks way too good than he has any right to be, and I love it. I'm certain that playing him for a few minutes will convince even the crankiest of detractors that his inclusion is a good thing. [Edit: Beaten by MrCheez, but R.O.B. deserves all the love he can get.]

Jiggy37 said:
~Zelly showed up for one picture and it's probably the best picture anyone took with Robby, but it's not enough to beat evil stupid Peach and her evil stupid shoes. Zelly's too shy, that's all. ;_; But she's a prettier princess, really! It's too obvious whenever Peach wears those sports outfits. She's like a twig. A twig! And plus her head is huge. Oh, am I too far off-track?~

Awesome report! :lol

Jiggy

For the record, I liked R.O.B. when first hearing of him--I've always enjoyed really off-the-wall movesets and ideas (even if they don't always become my mains) like Jigglypuff, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, and Ness (as opposed to bog-standard fighting styles such as Marth, Mario, or Fox), and I figured R.O.B. would fit right into that category.

TJ Spyke

RevenantKioku said:

I would have been shocked if they didn't call him R.O.B. since that has always been his name, from his creation as an NES accessory up to his most recent appearance as a playable racer in Mario Kart DS.

He is an odd choice for a fighter, but less obscure (arguably) and less useless than Mr. Game & Watch.

Does anyone know of a store (besides Gamestop / EB) that is doing a midnight opening this Sat / Sun? Out of principle, I don't reserve games, but I was hoping to grab it that evening to have some buddies over for some beer and SSB. If this was answered previously in the thread I apologize, I'm trying to remain spoiler-free.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Zack-Morris said:
Does anyone know of a store (besides Gamestop / EB) that is doing a midnight opening this Sat / Sun? Out of principle, I don't reserve games, but I was hoping to grab it that evening to have some buddies over for some beer and SSB. If this was answered previously in the thread I apologize, I'm trying to remain spoiler-free.

A Few Best Buy's are doing it

PBalfredo

I learned about R.O.B. a while ago through the spoilers, but I never knew his Side-B is also a reflector. These in-depth dojo updates are great. :D

careksims

truendo said:
So is tonight the last update EVER?!

Nah, but it will be the last time I'll even check out the Dojo. Oh it's been a long time coming. I'll move to the Official SSBB Thread on Saturday. It's going to be a mad house, Saturday Night! :D

Teasel

well the dojo said it would update for two month and only a single month has passed,plus there are still a few secret character that have to be revealed

truendo

careksims said:
Nah, but it will be the last time I'll even check out the Dojo. Oh it's been a long time coming. I'll move to the Official SSBB Thread on Saturday. It's going to be a mad house, Saturday Night! :D
Yep! I can't wait. I think I'll check the site though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom