• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/3 - 3/9

Raggy

Banned
gogogow said:
2008 line-up:
-Gran Turismo 5
-Soul Calibur 4
-Tekken 6
-Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5
-Senjou no Valkyria
-Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-White Knight Chronicles
-Trusty Bell
-Devil May Cry 4
-Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan!

You need 2 hands.

What about God of War 3, Killzone 2?

Lightning said:
The fact that GT5 is still expected in Japan in 2008 makes it better than the 2007 lineup.
Gran Turismo was big on PS2, but not really bigger than Hot Shots Golf.
Shiggy said:
Didn't Minna no Golf 3 sell better than GT4?
Once the budget rereleases of both are considered.
Lightning said:
Didn't GT3 sell more than any Minna no Golf game?
Going by my latest data.
GT3: 1,437,581
I see no GT3 rereleases.

HSG4 + HSG4 (The Best) + HSG4 (The Best even cheaper): 1,525,348
Ragyy said:
to sidetrack; whats the LTD on God of War 1 & 2 in Japan?
The Famitsu data I've got is pretty skimpy.
God of War: 6,861 first week, didn't chart again, doesn't seem to have made the 2005 Top 500.
God of War rerelease: 21,201 by the end of 2006 though it charted on no individual week
God of War II: 25,226 as of the second week; should improve a bit once we get the 2007 Top 500.

kswiston

I think some consideration has to be made regarding the audience of these game series migrating to PS3. A game that sells mainly to a hardcore gaming audience is going to fair better than a game that relied on a casual audience when transitioning to the PS3. I think this is why Disgaea 3 and DMC4 faired a lot better than DW6/HSG5 with regards to drop-off in sales compared to their PS2 prequels.

In Disgaea's case, its audience is exactly the type of gamer that would run out to buy a $500 system with next to no games in its first 6 months on the shelf. DMC4 had some of those and a lot of marketing/hype. I think its evident that both the Dynasty Warrior and Hot Shots series have a lot of casual gaming fans as well as some hardcore fans. The problem for both of those series on the PS3 is that those casual fans don't have a PS3 yet and are perfectly content with their DS, PS2, and maybe their Wii.

This is why I have confidence that MGS4 will sell better than DW6/HSG5. While sales of previous MGS games were never as high as the sales of HSG or DW, I don't think it's the type of game that is primarly selling to a casual market. It won't reach MGS3 levels in japan, but its core fans and no doubt stellar advertising should see it to 500k.

On the otherhand, expect massive drop-offs on GT5. A game that DOES largely sell to a casual audience. GT4:prologue sold to roughly 75% of GT4s eventual audience. GT5P was pricier, so it may not have snagged as many Gran Turismo fans, but I can't see GT5 proper doing much better than twice GT5Ps LTD unless the PS3s installed userbase is much higher in Japan before it drops.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
kswiston said:
I think this is why Disgaea 3 and DMC4 faired a lot better than DW6/HSG5 with regards to drop-off in sales compared to their PS2 prequels.

In Disgaea's case, its audience is exactly the type of gamer that would run out to buy a $500 system with next to no games in its first 6 months on the shelf.

My only reply is in regards to Disgaea 3, in which a prior Media Create thread stated that they (Nippon Icchi) were disappointed in Disgaea 3's sales. :eek:

Edit : And didn't the PS3 cost 330/420 (USD value) over there when D3 launched?

Jokeropia

Liabe Brave said:
Of course they are! No home console has ever dominated like the PS2 did. Even the Wii isn't managing it outside Japan.
Wii is outpacing PS2 in all markets, but doesn't dominate market share as much due to releasing later compared to it's competitors than the PS2.

picsou

Banned
gogogow said:
Ninja Gaiden series never put a dent in the charts. It's a good game, but sales wise, never did anything, due for it being on the Xbox. And Blade Storm? Really?

2008 line-up:
-Gran Turismo 5
-Soul Calibur 4
-Tekken 6
-Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5
-Senjou no Valkyria
-Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
-Metal Gear Solid 4
-White Knight Chronicles
-Trusty Bell
-Devil May Cry 4
-Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan!

You need 2 hands.
just want
star Ocean 4
valkyrie Profile 3
parasite eve 3
Grandia 4
kingdom heart 3 on ps3 .
after sony can die in japan .

donny2112

Moor-Angol said:
I don't agree with this chart, donny...

PS2 debut was in march, so "year 1" is 9 months, while "year 1" for Wii is just 30 days on calendar... if we just consider the first 9 months of sales, 6 titles sold more than 100k

I could've done it by 12 month periods since launch, but meh. Also, if you recall, it was responding to a post discussing >50K and >100K debut titles in the calendar year 2007, so it made sense to use the same cutoff points. Regardless, the general trend is clear. Both PS3 and Wii are looking a whole lot more like GCN (using the arbitrary criteria of games that debut > 100K) than the PS2. Not that anyone would be surprised at that and not that anyone should take that as the lone measuring stick for each system's software success.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I see no GT3 rereleases.

2002 mid-year chart. LTD derived from EOY 2002 chart.

kswiston said:
I think this is why Disgaea 3 and DMC4 faired a lot better than DW6/HSG5 with regards to drop-off in sales compared to their PS2 prequels.

Huh? You do realize that Disgaea 3, though starting off between 1 and 2, will end up the lowest selling of the three, right? I had a post on it in a previous week's thread.
What?! You don't read every post in these threads?!

Jokeropia said:
Wii is outpacing PS2 in all markets, but doesn't dominate market share as much due to releasing later compared to it's competitors than the PS2.
Isn't that what I said? PS2 had exactly the right circumstances to completely dominate from the very beginning, reaching a ~75% share in Japan and ~60% in the U.S. In Japan it had outsold the Gamecube lifetime before the 'cube even launched, and took only another 10 months to do the same in America. Wii will take at least 20 months to outpace PS3 lifetime in Japan, and at least 24 months in the U.S. It's the undisputed winner, but not as undisputed as the PS2.

jarrod

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Being a cycle where we transition market leaders also plays into it. SFC & PS2 accelerated a whole lot faster than FC and PS did out the gates... it'd probably be fairer comparing Wii to the latter machines all things considered.

donny2112 said:
Huh? You do realize that Disgaea 3, though starting off between 1 and 2, will end up the lowest selling of the three, right?

How much are we looking at, though? This game is selling closer to previous franchise entries (proportionally) than most non-DMC4 games, yes?

Paracelsus said:
So it's official? Valkyrie Profile 3: Hrist on DS confirmed?

Well.

gconsole

kswiston said:
I think some consideration has to be made regarding the audience of these game series migrating to PS3. A game that sells mainly to a hardcore gaming audience is going to fair better than a game that relied on a casual audience when transitioning to the PS3. I think this is why Disgaea 3 and DMC4 faired a lot better than DW6/HSG5 with regards to drop-off in sales compared to their PS2 prequels.

In Disgaea's case, its audience is exactly the type of gamer that would run out to buy a $500 system with next to no games in its first 6 months on the shelf. DMC4 had some of those and a lot of marketing/hype. I think its evident that both the Dynasty Warrior and Hot Shots series have a lot of casual gaming fans as well as some hardcore fans. The problem for both of those series on the PS3 is that those casual fans don't have a PS3 yet and are perfectly content with their DS, PS2, and maybe their Wii.

This is why I have confidence that MGS4 will sell better than DW6/HSG5. While sales of previous MGS games were never as high as the sales of HSG or DW, I don't think it's the type of game that is primarly selling to a casual market. It won't reach MGS3 levels in japan, but its core fans and no doubt stellar advertising should see it to 500k.

On the otherhand, expect massive drop-offs on GT5. A game that DOES largely sell to a casual audience. GT4:prologue sold to roughly 75% of GT4s eventual audience. GT5P was pricier, so it may not have snagged as many Gran Turismo fans, but I can't see GT5 proper doing much better than twice GT5Ps LTD unless the PS3s installed userbase is much higher in Japan before it drops.

Right, we cannot direct compare game by game without considering its fanbase/user demographic. Otherwise we won't be able to explain the reason why DMC4 still sale at the same level/better than DMC3 while HSG and DW sale has been declined this huge.

donny2112

charlequin said:
How much are we looking at, though? This game is selling closer to previous franchise entries (proportionally) than most non-DMC4 games, yes?

He was grouping Disgaea 3 and DMC4 together. DMC4 is greater than DMC3, so I took it that he was saying that both of them had improved on their predecessors. It's definitely dropped less, proportionately, than the million-sellers on PS2 have, but that's also a lot easier with a lesser selling game to begin with.

donny2112 said:
He was grouping Disgaea 3 and DMC4 together. DMC4 is greater than DMC3, so I took it that he was saying that both of them had improved on their predecessors. It's definitely dropped less, proportionately, than the million-sellers on PS2 have, but that's also a lot easier with a lesser selling game to begin with.
Ridge Racer 7 improved Ridge Racer 6 numbers...

I know I know :/

donny2112

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1214238_1124.html

Famitsu Top 10 is out.

Famitsu Mar 10-16

1. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS
2. PS3 Yakuza 3
3. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4. WII Wii Fit
5. PS2 Gundam Musou Special
6. PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: Shin Yoshimune
7. NDS Hayate no Gotoku! Ojousama Produce Daisakusen Boku Iro ni Somare! Oyashiki-Hen/Gakkou-Hen
8. NDS Shugo Chara! 3-tsu no Tamagoto Koisuru Joker
9. WII Wii Sports
10. WII Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Edit:
Also, these may, may, may be the hardware numbers for this week from Famitsu.

DSL 47000
PSP 66000
Wii 51000
PS3 18000
PS2 9200
360 2500

LOCK

If MP3 is in top 3 then that means 2 things:

1) Really really slow week.
2) The japanese like it....

Lets hope its 2.

jarrod

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Ridge Racer 7 improved Ridge Racer 6 numbers...

I know I know :/
They improved even more on RRs2 numbers! :lol

I'm still in shock that the RR team made FamiSki though, and now the AC team is making The Sky Crawlers. Wonder what new Wii game we'll get from the Tekken guys after T6 wraps up?

donny2112

Famitsu Mar 10-16

1. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 71000 / NEW
2. PS3 Yakuza 3 43000 / 220000
3. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 40000 / 1485000
4. WII Wii Fit 38000 / 1677000
5. PS2 Gundam Musou Special 29000 / 232000
6. PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: Shin Yoshimune 23000 / NEW
7. NDS Hayate no Gotoku! Ojousama Produce Daisakusen Boku Iro ni Somare! Oyashiki-Hen/Gakkou-Hen 18000 / NEW
8. NDS Shugo Chara! 3-tsu no Tamagoto Koisuru Joker 17000 / NEW
9. WII Wii Sports 15000 / 2813000
10. WII Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 14000 / 48000
11. NDS Mario Kart DS 11000 / 2889000
12. PS2 12Riven: The Psi-Climinal of Integral 11000 / NEW
13. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 10000 / 1669000
14. WII Wii Play 10000 / 2240000
15. WII General Knowledge Training TV 9900 / 24000
16. NDS Harvest Moon: Shining Sun and Friends 9400 / 77000
17. NDS Doraemon: Nobita to Midori no Kyojinden DS 8900 / 23000
18. PSP Musou Orochi 8400 / 103000
19. NDS Mario Party DS 8200 / 1643000
20. NDS Soma Bringer 8200 / 79000
21. NDS Mario & Sonic: Olympics 8200 / ~264000
22. WII Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 6600 / 72000
23. NDS Duel Love: Koisuru Otome wa Shouri no Megami 6500 / NEW
24. WII Family Ski 6400 / 91000
25. NDS Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season 6100 / 67000
26. NDS Etrian Odyssey II 5900 / 124000
27. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 5900 / 5115000
28. PS2 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 5800 / NEW
30. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 5500 / 4316000

New releases outside Top 30
*. PS3 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 5400 / NEW
*. NDS Call of Duty 4 3600 / NEW
*. NDS Kantan! Tanoshii! Okashi Navi DS 2400 / NEW
*. NDS Contra 4 2300 / NEW
*. NDS Legend of Kage 2 2100 / NEW
*. WII Winning Post 7 Maximum 2008 1500 / NEW
*. PS3 Skate 1200 / NEW
*. 360 Skate 1100 / NEW
*. WII Baroque 660 / NEW

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
donny2112 said:
Famitsu Mar 10-16

1. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 71000 / NEW
2. PS3 Yakuza 3 43000 / 220000
3. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 40000 / 1485000
4. WII Wii Fit 38000 / 1677000
5. PS2 Gundam Musou Special 29000 / 232000
6. PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator: Shin Yoshimune 23000 / NEW
7. NDS Hayate no Gotoku! Ojousama Produce Daisakusen Boku Iro ni Somare! Oyashiki-Hen/Gakkou-Hen 18000 / NEW
8. NDS Shugo Chara! 3-tsu no Tamagoto Koisuru Joker 17000 / NEW
9. WII Wii Sports 15000 / 2813000
10. WII Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 14000 / 48000

Working on the rest.

awesome mp3 sales :-D

Laguna

Banned
Wii Ski is doing sursprisingly well and should pass 100k with ease. PSP software disastrous as always. And donny there is a mistake in your list, look at the total numbers for Mario Party and "Mario and Sonic" ;)

donny2112

Laguna said:
And donny there is a mistake in your list, look at the total numbers for Mario Party and "Mario and Sonic" ;)

Nope. That's what was posted.

I have what's there from 1-30 translated, but I'll have to get to the games outside of the Top 30 later. Anyone else who feels like it *cough* Kurosaki Ichigo *cough* feel free to beat me to it. :D

cw_sasuke said:
awesome mp3 sales :-D

Indeed. A great turnaround for the series, no doubt due in part to the larger Wii userbase, but welcome nonetheless. GKTV churns along but it looks like it’s going to be lucky to reach 100-150k. Good legs for both Family Ski and Winning Eleven, both of which seem certain to hit 100k in the next month or two.

Paracelsus

I really hope this "half-bomb" of Yakuza 3 does not stop Sega from porting it in the States.

Seriously, I'd be highly pissed off.

donny2112 said:
外.コントラ 2300
外.影之伝説 2100

Contra 4 - 2.300
Legend of Kage 2 - 2.100

shame all over Japan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Kinan

These are Winning Post 7:

外.ウイポPS3 5400
外.ウイポWii 1500

And this is Skate:

外.スケートPS3 1200
外.スケート360 1100

This is Baroque:

外.バロックWii 660

In case anyone (like me) was wondering. :)

外.スケートPS3 1200
外.スケート360 1100
Skate (sukeeto)

外.バロックWii 660
Baroque (barokku)

外.お菓子ナビ 2400
Sweets Navi (okashi nabi - my guess, something like cooking navi, only with sweet stuff-beats me tbh)

外.コントラ 2300
Contra (kontora)

外.影之伝説 2100
Legend of Kage (kage no densetsu)

For the other I have no idea.

ウイ could be "oui" (yes), dunno...

edit:
Damn, beaten. I should work on my japanese reading abilities.

double edit:
Kinan said:
These are Winning Post 7:

外.ウイポPS3 5400
外.ウイポWii 1500

In case anyone (like me) was wondering. :)
Damn, "uipo" is Winning Post? I mean seeing it, it now makes sense but that one really got me thinking :lol

farnham

Banned
thirdparties in Japan are finally catching up

WE playmaker with 70k is bad for considering the series prestige.. but yet it has totally proven itself as a steady seller ... Family Ski is similar...

I could see both games selling 100k

About MP3... maybe it will sell something like 100k ~ 150k.. that would be big for retro in Japan..

Laguna

Banned
donny2112 said:
I have what's there from 1-30 translated, but I'll have to get to the games outside of the Top 30 later. Anyone else who feels like it *cough* Kurosaki Ichigo *cough* feel free to beat me to it. :D

You shouldn´t expect anything from Kurosaki Ichigo until Valkyrie Chronicles (it depends...), Tales of Rebirth, Star Ocean 2 or MGS4 for obvious reasons :D

jarrod

Banned
Paracelsus said:
I really hope this "half-bomb" of Yakuza 3 does not stop Sega from porting it in the States.

Seriously, I'd be highly pissed off.
Maybe it'll get them to consider a 360 port? <3 <3

RGGK seems to behave like the typical PS3 game, which is not really good news. MP3 has a surprising strong second week - maybe it can beat MPH LTD after all. FamilySki almost at 100k is also quite a success.

Too bad about Kage and Contra bombing, but it was to be expected.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Gooooo RGGK

I knew Bimoji would be big, it's completely sold out in this town.
Did you try that one out? Or did anyonw for that matter?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so I used to frequent these threads constantly, then dropped off. I dropped back in for the heck of it and I see for weeks now the PSP is above the DS? Has the DS dropped it's reign? Does everyone in Japan have one? Shortages? Just curious what happened..

Laguna said:
You shouldn´t expect anything from Kurosaki Ichigo until Valkyrie Chronicles (it depends...), Tales of Rebirth, Star Ocean 2 or MGS4 for obvious reasons :D
I didn't know blatantly retarded fanboys like you cared about other people.

Oh wait, I do. Pissed at PSP sales once again, poor poor Laguna? :lol

Top Bottom