• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

turk128 said:
Why so sad? We should celebrate the awesomeness that was this thread.
Oh, we will be. Some time between 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM Pacific, April 14th, I'll begin to post the results of the quote hunt. :D And then the closing post...

grandjedi6 said:
Jiggy37 3,305
Iam Canadian 1,946
Firestorm 1,503
Zeed 1,494
ShockingAlberto 1,414
SuperAngelo64 1,068
CreatureX3 950
MrCheez 821
Haunted One 818
grandjedi6 770

I'm still the 10th biggest poster in this thread?!

I never could break into the top 10, but I gave it my best. :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MrCheez said:
Half hour to go.

So hey, over the past year... did anyone else still find a way to check out the dojo update even when they didn't have access to a computer? I specifically remember a number of occasions where I would bust out my phone after midnight and wait for the slow ass sprint internet to load the Dojo. One time was on a road trip... another on a ski trip... yet another while camping out during black friday... then again that one time when we moved into my new house and the internet wasn't set up yet... etc etc

so many memories
I have never missed a single update, even when I was on vacation out of the country or loaded down with work.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Iam Canadian said:
Never did I ever think I would take second place for posts in this thead.

I'm proud of you guys! :O And a little disappointed in myself... could have sworn I had over 800... although I guess that already is way much more than any sane person should have in one thread? :lol

Jiggy37 said:
Should the final statistics post be tonight with the usual stats, or tomorrow just before the quote compilation (which in turn will be right before the closing post)?

Wait so when exactly does this thread get locked? Are you communicating with sp0rsk to close it right after the quote compilation goes up?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
JohnTinker said:
Is it possible to get attached to .. threads? :(

Yes. Yes there is. There's no shame in it.

Though I'd say that I'm equally as attached to the community of the thread as I am to the actual thread itself. Each and every single one of you. :D

Also, I can't wait to see the quote compilation and the closing post.

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
Wait so when exactly does this thread get locked? Are you communicating with sp0rsk to close it right after the quote compilation goes up?
Come to think of it, this might be an intelligent idea. :eek:

MisterHero

grandjedi6 said:
Jiggy37 3,305
Iam Canadian 1,946
Firestorm 1,503
Zeed 1,494
ShockingAlberto 1,414
SuperAngelo64 1,068
CreatureX3 950
MrCheez 821
Haunted One 818
grandjedi6 770

I'm still the 10th biggest poster in this thread?!
:eek:

Jiggy has more posts in this thread than I have in my entire GAF career.

MrCheez

RoboPlato said:
Yeah, the community of this thread is great. It's practically another forum.

Hear hear!

<3 you guys... we had so many good times! I definitely always thought of this thread as it's own sub-community to regular GAF :)

Firestorm

RoboPlato said:
I have never missed a single update, even when I was on vacation out of the country or loaded down with work.

Same >_>;;

On vacation in Winnipeg. Accessed it every day at 2 AM local time to see it.
On the way back by Greyhound. Accessed it at two stops on my laptop, one in Saskatchewan and one in Alberta. Also got my friend to txt me but he gave me the wrong update ._.
On a school trip in Seattle. Accessed it on my friend's laptop in the hotel.

I am an addict :( Withdrawal coming up. Can't believe it's been 11 months.

Fenix

MrCheez said:
Half hour to go.

So hey, over the past year... did anyone else still find a way to check out the dojo update even when they didn't have access to a computer? I specifically remember a number of occasions where I would bust out my phone after midnight and wait for the slow ass sprint internet to load the Dojo. One time was on a road trip... another on a ski trip... yet another while camping out during black friday... then again that one time when we moved into my new house and the internet wasn't set up yet... etc etc

so many memories

I was checking it on my PSP when my laptop blew up a few months ago.

MrCheez

Let's take it even a step further... can you guys match up specific updates with exactly what you were doing at the time? :lol

Giga Bowser Final Smash Update - Drunk as hell at my own house party. Booted up the Dojo with like 3 other people over my shoulder... we all thought Giga Bowser was pretty much the most badass thing ever.

Lucas Final Smash Update - Freezing while camped out in front of Frys Electronics for Black Friday. Got my 40 inch samsung LCD tv that night... which, fast forward to today, I do all my Brawling on :)

Pokemon Trainer Character Update - Just moved into my current house... no internet yet. I got to see the "NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING" banner as a reeeeally small image on my little phone. Imagine my confusion when only the text loaded before the actual images. "What the hell... how is Ash going to fight?!"

Ike Character Update - If I remember correctly, this update came really late. I had to be up early the next morning for an important meeting.. but of course my obsession wouldn't let me sleep until the update came. It was definitely worth it that time... Ike was the first new character revealed outside of the original trailer. I was tired as hell the next morning.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Final update: Mega Man, a code to disable tripping, and instructions to unlock the secret lag-free online mode. Believe.

Jiggy

turk128 said:
Maybe an hour after the update to give people time to post replies?
Not a chance. This is too epic an undertaking to be handled from around 1:00 AM to 2:00 AM, especially when there's always the off-chance that minor issues could crop up that would need to be addressed quickly.

Jiggy

grandjedi6 said:
Jiggy, 1/3 of all your posts come from this thread. What if someone were to delete it?
I guess I'd have to complain about VC more to boost my other biggest post count, then. :kittonwy

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
On vacation in Winnipeg. Accessed it every day at 2 AM local time to see it.

You vacationed in Winnipeg too? That's where I went for my Christmas holidays. Perhaps that's not the smartest place to be in the dead of winter, but I have family there.

I remember checking the Dojo on the day of the Lucas update in a computer lab on campus. (This was before I started keeping late hours to check the Dojo. >_>) I found it rather hard to keep myself from bursting out into a manaical round of laughter and cheers right in the middle of the lab.

Fenix

MrCheez said:
Let's take it even a step further... can you guys match up specific updates with exactly what you were doing at the time? :lol

Giga Bowser Final Smash Update - Drunk as hell at my own house party. Booted up the Dojo with like 3 other people over my shoulder... we all thought Giga Bowser was pretty much the most badass thing ever.

Lucas Final Smash Update - Freezing while camped out in front of Frys Electronics for Black Friday. Got my 40 inch samsung LCD tv that night... which, fast forward to today, I do all my Brawling on :)

Pokemon Trainer - Just moved into my current house... no internet yet. I got to see the "NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING" banner as a reeeeally small image on my little phone. Imagine my confusion when only the text loaded before the actual images. "What the hell... how is Ash going to fight?!"

Sonic "update" (rather the Nintendo Conference thread) - I was chewing on my pencil while working on an assignment (3 AM, lol). Jaw dropped, lost the pencil for a few minutes. Going to sleep that night was super hard, I was giddy as hell.

Also, Melee Stages update - Started playing the Hyrule Temple music and my housemates rushed in to my room, since it's our favourite stage.

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:
You vacationed in Winnipeg too? That's where I went for my Christmas holidays. Perhaps that's not the smartest place to be in the dead of winter, but I have family there.

I remember checking the Dojo on the day of the Lucas update in a computer lab on campus. (This was before I started keeping late hours to check the Dojo. >_>) I found it rather hard to keep myself from bursting out into a manaical round of laughter and cheers right in the middle of the lab.

:lol I just had a mental image... reminded me of Hiro from the first episode of Heroes when he's in his cubicle and jumps up with a loud "YATTA!"

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:

Yeah, I was there last summer. I couldn't check on my phone like MrCheez because I, like you, live in Canada. Cheap data is a foreign concept to us. I have taken my PSP and/or laptop upstairs and placed it beside my bed when it was too late to stay up and checked it when I got up randomly in the middle of the night though. I remember the Snake update being that late.

Iam Canadian

Fenix said:
Sonic "update" (rather the Nintendo Conference thread) - I was chewing on my pencil while working on an assignment (3 AM, lol). Jaw dropped, lost the pen for a few minutes. Going to sleep that night was super hard, I was giddy as hell.

You know, I don't think I slept at all that night. Between Sonic being in Brawl, the Kirby Super Star remake, Star Soldier R, and the other awesome pieces of news that night, it would have been quite a feat to actually get some sleep.

MrCheez

Fenix said:
Also, Melee Stages update - Started playing the Hyrule Temple music and my housemates rushed in to my room, since it's our favourite stage.

That's awesome. :lol Definitely the favorite stage in my circle of friends as well

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I was there last summer. I couldn't check on my phone like MrCheez because I, like you, live in Canada. Cheap data is a foreign concept to us. I have taken my PSP and/or laptop upstairs and placed it beside my bed when it was too late to stay up and checked it when I got up randomly in the middle of the night though. I remember the Snake update being that late.

Oh man, I did this at least a handful of times. Couldn't stay up late enough to catch the update... went to bed... woke up in the middle of the night to pee... ran to the computer real quick to check the update before going back to bed :lol

Due to my job, more often than not I couldn't wait up with you guys. So most of my memories of checking the dojo were all in the mornings as I got ready for work. I still remember laughing hysterically and jumping around the room at Sonic's announcement,

celebi23

I might as well stay up for the last dojo update. It's been a fun ride. I'll never forget Japan Time. Maybe now I can finally get my sleeping pattern back to normal :lol

Iam Canadian

crowphoenix said:
Due to my job, more often than not I couldn't wait up with you guys. So most of my memories of checking the dojo were all in the mornings as I got ready for work. I still remember laughing hysterically and jumping around the room at Sonic's announcement,

Yeah, I'm sure that if I had been in the privacy of my home when the Lucas update came, I would have started jumping around the room and laughing. It was all I could do to not do that in public. :D

MrCheez

10 minutes!
unless it's a late-updating megat0n!1

I think everyone should open up a different tab for every language of the Dojo and refresh them all continually... for old times sake

Fenix

MrCheez said:
10 minutes!
unless it's a late-updating megat0n!1

I think everyone should open up a different tab for every language of the Dojo and refresh them all continually... for old times sake

I call Deutschland Zeit.

One last time...

jiggy3.jpg

Iam Canadian

Wait a minute...what is that on the Japanese site? There are a bunch of links in the Notice, including one to a PDF file...

Jiggy

Those Japanese links have been there for a while.

On a separate note, can I call dibs on writing and maintaining the OP for the new Dojo for Smash Bros. 4? If so, I do. >_> <_< >_>

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:
Those Japanese links have been there for a while.

On a separate note, can I call dibs on writing and maintaining the OP for Smash Bros. 4? If so, I do. >_> <_< >_>

It would make me so happy if Smash Bros 4 brought back this community for: The Dojo Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo! :O

Firestorm

Some IRC logs from a channel I frequent:

Intro Video:
[19:44] <Kira> GREEN HILL ZONE!!!!
[19:44] <@Steelicks> sorry marth is in one of them
[19:44] <@Steelicks> ike is in the otehr
[19:44] <+Teifu> i was kinda worried green hill zone wouldnt be in for a while
[19:44] <Firestorm> OH SHIT http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...sbpokemans.jpg
[19:44] <Kira> Marth had to return.. he was top tier
[19:44] <Sonuis> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRBsajRrnY8
[19:45] <Sonuis> There you go big Firestorm/Kira/Steelicks
[19:45] <@Surgo> okay shit
[19:45] <Firestorm> OHMY GOD I LOVE YOu
[19:45] <@Surgo> link me
[19:45] <jc_rcw> marth and ike running side by side
[19:45] <jc_rcw> :O
[19:45] <jc_rcw> on the last screenie which was just added
[19:45] <@Surgo> nevermind got it
[19:45] <@Steelicks> :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[19:45] <@Steelicks> oh my god
[19:45] <Kira> Btw... I have to kick my friends ass in Melee. He is using young link... I am using sheik. Any tips on how to beat young link
[19:46] <Sonuis> Thank my rare chance of reading SA :x
[19:46] <Yuri> kick him in the nuts
Delay:
02:00:30] <Firestorm> SON OF A FUCKING BITCH
[02:00:31] <Firestorm> FUCK
[02:00:31] <aamto> kill him
[02:00:32] <Firestorm> OH MY GOD
[02:00:33] <aamto> quick
[02:00:33] <Firestorm> FUCK
[02:00:35] <Firestorm> FUCKKKK
[02:00:37] <Firestorm> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228203
[02:00:38] <Firestorm> FUCKKK