• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

Jasconius

Is it just me, or by the time you get like your 6th Hole in One that Hole in One hype just isn't there?

It's just you!

Also eagle chips are just as hype always~

Man, I am determined to get a better score on Peach's Escape! Finally managed to get a birdie... by sinking a 122 foot putt... >.>

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Ahhhhhhh, I was just extremely close to an Albatross shot thanks to a crazy mushroom boost that just barely missed the hole on Peach Gardens.

Still don't have any hole in ones, got 2 eagles otherwise. I'm starting to get a feel for putting which is nice as that was killing me in the demo.

Edit: Okay, I just now got my first Hole in One...go figure.

Velcro Fly

This game totally missed an opportunity by not having a share feature where you can show off super nice shots.

Yeah I've already had one instance of wanting to replay an entire hole. I can't remember which hole it was but on Peach Gardens my tee shot hit a heart pad and went awkwardly into the water. I got a decent approach and sank a 45 foot putt to save par. Just two ridiculously good shots in a row after one really bad shot.

It's one tiny flaw I have with the game but otherwise I'm impressed. I feel like this game came almost out of nowhere.

Robin64

I'm not sure I get what difference Point Play is from Stroke Play.

Okay, so in Point you get 2 points for a par, rather than 0 in Stroke. 3 for a birdie, rather than -1. But ultimately, on a leaderboard system, the order will be exactly the same players regardless of if stroke or point was chosen, no? Only the value has changed, but the person who sinks the ball in the least moves still wins, right? Unless I'm missing something pretty big...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm pretty good at putting, but my approach shots let me down (so my putts let me off the hook for now). Just can't get a feel for compensating for wind and the lie. Did the approach practice courses but toads advice seems off - one extra club for 5m/s of wind overshoots, and even light breezes move your ball left/right more than you'd think

Schryver

I'm not sure I get what difference Point Play is from Stroke Play.

Okay, so in Point you get 2 points for a par, rather than 0 in Stroke. 3 for a birdie, rather than -1. But ultimately, on a leaderboard system, the order will be exactly the same players regardless of if stroke or point was chosen, no? Only the value has changed, but the person who sinks the ball in the least moves still wins, right? Unless I'm missing something pretty big...

I think you get 5 points for an eagle...so that kinda matters but otherwise yeah same thing really

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Heh I just beat the Mountain Course tourney. It was a close game with me and Mario trying to keep our leads. But I pulled ahead thanks to a 70 foot putt to save a birdy. I didn't think I had any chance of making that.

And Robin64, In point play do you get negatives for double and triple bogey? Maybe that's the difference? Less of a deficit if you have one bad hole.

Robin64

I think you get 5 points for an eagle...so that kinda matters but otherwise yeah same thing really

I see that it moves you on to the next course once you can't score, unlike stroke which lets people bogey to their heart's content. I suppose it's new player friendly in that regard, nobody will log a bad score.

I see that it moves you on to the next course once you can't score, unlike stroke which lets people bogey to their heart's content. I suppose it's new player friendly in that regard, nobody will log a bad score.
That, Eagles and HIOs being 5, and Albatrosses being (I think) 7 are the only practical differences. In the context of a tournament where newer players can easily blow a hole, though, and where getting an Eagle is really fucking hard, Points Play works.

Robin64

That, Eagles and HIOs being 5, and Albatrosses being (I think) 7 are the only practical differences. In the context of a tournament where newer players can easily blow a hole, though, and where getting an Eagle is really fucking hard, Points Play works.

Yeah, was pretty good for Bowser's course, I totally fucked up the one with the clown car putting green. Never got on!

daydream

Banned
Those coin challenges in the royal garden are friggin' rough. 600 coins on the underwater course? Give me a break!

Really hope that they're randomised.

Galactic Fork

Is there a 4th Castle Club course? Seems odd that the icons in the Quick Round Castle Club courses stage select are sized and arranged with a big gaping hole, instead of having one row of 3 the same size as the Mario World Courses (or even just centering the Mountain course). Looks like a course is missing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Once I get my hours in, I can handle Eagles every par 5, Birdies everything else minimum.

I'm still unlearning hot shots. In Hot Shots, that is the percent variance you power will be depending on conditions and lie. Perfect conditions off the tee? will probably be 98-100%, In a bunker in the rain? 40%-90% or whatever.

Guess I have to memorize that stuff.

I also noticed that the game tells you exactly where the ball is going to land(not accounting for wind) for the first time. It seems to perfectly account for height difference and the lie angle. Once I get the hang of backspin, this will be very exploitable.

It makes it easier to plan your shots, but you still need to execute and properly read the wind. That said, for expert online tournaments I wouldn't be surprised if the flight path preview line is disabled.

Yeah, a tourney we got going right now that I intended to be fucking hard has no simulation line, among other not-newbie-friendly rules
Is there a 4th Castle Club course? Seems odd that the icons in the Quick Round Castle Club courses stage select are sized and arranged with a big gaping hole, instead of having one row of 3 the same size as the Mario World Courses (or even just centering the Mountain course). Looks like a course is missing.
You haven't unlocked Sky Island then.

505zoom

Pretty much this. Points Play is loosely based on Stableford scoring, which encourages a more attacking style of play by rewarding under par scores highly and punishing over par scores less (or in this case not at all).

As for the initial question of whether or not things will always end up the same between Stroke and Points, the answer is no actually. Take 3 golfers... the par shooter, the birdie/bogey swapper, and the eagle/double guy... and simulate 9 holes:

A:
E E E E E E E E E = Even Par

B:
+1 -1 +1 -1 +1 -1 +1 -1 +1 = +1

C:
+2 -2 +2 -2 +2 -2 +2 -2 +2 = +2

In stroke play, they finish A, B, C.

Now take those same scores and apply the modified Stableford that Mario Golf uses:

A:
2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 = 18pts

B:
1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 = 17pts

C:
0 5 0 5 0 5 0 5 0 = 20pts

Points Play ends up with a C, A, B finish.

TL;DR: Much better off making eagles in Points Play even if it means bringing bogeys and doubles into the picture.

Robin64

<snip>

TL;DR: Much better off making eagles in Points Play even if it means bringing bogeys and doubles into the picture.

Awesome explanation! So in Points Play, go for the risky shots as it pays off a lot more if it works and doesn't hurt so much if it doesn't. Got it!

Robin64

Remember to dress up your Miis with World Flag gear, guys! :)

You don't have to play with them in the Vs matches, just having the gear on them is enough to gift it to someone after the match.

Hit up the tourney, scored -12, ranked 61? I had no idea so many were participating in the GAF tournament <3 I'm on as Erin Susan if anyone's curious.

Robin64

Hit up the tourney, scored -12, ranked 61? I had no idea so many were participating in the GAF tournament <3 I'm on as Erin Susan if anyone's curious.

Haha yeah, I've been surprised. Currently 142 entries on the EarlyBird leaderboard. Nicely done, GAF! :)

By the way, there are 13 hours left on EarlyBird. Then we can watch the award ceremony!

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
This is going to sound ridiculous but I can't find how to access the boutique to spend these coins I am accumulating rapidly. Is it accessed via Castle Club?

Jasconius

I don't even want to know how many times I did that stupid 9-hole one-on one-putt challenge, but it is done! I remember the one in Toadstool Tour being a huge pain too... >_<

I think I'll leave the 18-hole challenge for another night.

Galactic Fork

Seeing all these shy guys around the Clubhouse makes me hope they release one as a DLC character. It'd be really neat if Nintendo made exclusive characters you could only get from tournaments. Like only the top 10% or something. Like how you can only enter the the Americas Tournament 2 if you ranked high enough in Tournament 1.

(I really want a goomba golfer holding the club in her mouth.)

I don't even want to know how many times I did that stupid 9-hole one-on one-putt challenge, but it is done! I remember the one in Toadstool Tour being a huge pain too... >_<

I think I'll leave the 18-hole challenge for another night.

Same here! I got lucky and the first time I made it past the 3rd hole I ended up going all the way to 9. I have fears of getting to hole 17 and losing. I don't think my 3ds could handle the impact...

daydream

Banned
Remember to dress up your Miis with World Flag gear, guys! :)

You don't have to play with them in the Vs matches, just having the gear on them is enough to gift it to someone after the match.

Is that a requirement? I've never worn mine and people still received a gift from me.

Robin64

Is that a requirement? I've never worn mine and people still received a gift from me.

Really? Well I guess not then!

There were a few matches where I should have recieved something from someone who claimed to have gear but I got no prize at all. I wonder if you can only get their one and if you have it, you won't get a gift of another one they have that isn't their native one. If that makes sense.

Velcro Fly

I feel dirty for using Star Daisy to complete challenges. I'll go back and get that star coin in Seaside Course with my Mii eventually.

Also sad that the game won't let you just YOLO it for the second star coin challenge. I definitely could save par :(

daydream

Banned
Really? Well I guess not then!

There were a few matches where I should have recieved something from someone who claimed to have gear but I got no prize at all. I wonder if you can only get their one and if you have it, you won't get a gift of another one they have that isn't their native one. If that makes sense.

No idea, I haven't paid that close attention to it. But yeah, makes sense. You only get their native gear, period. If you already have it, then that's that.

Though I *think* I've received several pieces of gear from the same person (so shoes, shorts, gloves, etc. separately) You might only be able to get a native "set" from a person (like we said), but whether you get a piece after a match is actually random? No idea. Only one way to find out, though.

Kawl_USC

After unlocking Star Mario, posted a much more respectable -17 into the Early Bird Tournament. Could have been much better, lipped two Eagle putts (one of which I three putted to par), and missed 4 or 5 manageable birdies after the approach shots let me down a little.

As far as the "Longest Drive" little message that pops up is that for the whole tournament, just the ghosts you are watching, or just your personal shots? Got a couple in the last attempt and was curious exactly what that meant.

If I can get my short game up to snuff, I feel like -20 and beyond is definitely possible.

Velcro Fly

Ice flower is a master troll when it boxes you out after you use it to go over water. I had this challenge done and choked on a putt. The hardest part is the shitty mechanics of the item.

daydream

Banned

Thought this would be useful since some questions come up repeatedly. Hope I didn't forget anything. Also, here's a .pdf version of the manual, if you're looking for that.

Mario Golf: World Tour - NeoGAF FAQ

Q: How do I join the GAF community?
A: Go to 'Mario Golf' on the main menu, then 'Vs.' > 'Community Match'. Do a 'Code Search' by typing in the following code (quote to reveal): and you're in. It's a permanent lobby that alleviates coordination in setting up a match considerably. It is automatically saved as a favourite which means that it will show up at the top of 'List Search' in the future.

Q: How do I participate in an asynchronous GAF tournament?
A: Go to 'Mario Golf' on the main menu, then go to 'Tournaments'. Under 'Private Tournaments' you can search ongoing GAF competitions by code. Once you have participated, you can upload your score.

Q: Which GAF tournaments are in progress right now?
A: Quote to reveal the list:

Q: Is there a list of friend codes for GolfGAF?
A: You betcha! Feel free to add yourself to the document.

Q: I want to play a live VS. game now! Come on, GAF!
A: Great! Join the GAF lobby, leave a post in this thread and people will surely jump in. If you're the first one in the lobby, you have control over when to start the games. The rules for the lobby are already set.

Q: Any perks to playing with my Mii?
A: Yes! Other people get special gear in the colour of your country's flag (*update* this is now contentious as there have been cases where players received gear with no Mii being used in the match). Miis tend to add a more personal touch to the game, also.

Q: Should I participate in tournaments hosted by Nintendo?
A: Here is a schedule detailing the time of global tournaments as well as the goodies involved. Regardless of your performance, you will get outfits and accessoires out of every event. Tournaments are strictly timed, so watch out for when they expire - the gear might be exclusive (though we suspect they'll cycle through them again at some point)! Robin64 made handy check lists for European and American tournaments.

Q: How can I participate in global/continent specific tournaments hosted by Nintendo?
A: There's two places where you can sign up for (different) official tournaments. As A Mii, visit the basement of the Castle Club by taking one of two set of stairs down to the so-called Entry Floor. On the red monitor to the left you should find Continental Tournaments (American, European, etc.), on the blue monitor to the right are the Global Tournaments. The second place that offers tourneys is found under 'Mario Golf' > 'Tournaments' > 'Mario Open'. Here you can use whatever character you want (+ their Star version). This is also the place where you can play tournaments exclusive to people with the DLC, as well as 'trial' versions of those tournaments to give you a taste of said additional content (requires a small download).

Q: I have beaten the three cups in Castle Club and seen the credits roll - am I done?
A: No, you have a lot left to do. Start with the Challenges under 'Mario Golf' > 'Single Player'. Here you can unlock a lot of new courses and Star versions of all the characters. Watch out for costume challenges in the royal garden (glowing pipes!) to unlock special costumes. Have you tried the different training games, yet? They are to the right of the cups and give you prizes. Next to those there's Lakitu waiting with a devious 'One On, One Putt' challenge. Beating that one unlocks a new devious course ('Sky Island'). Don't forget to have fun online (official tournaments get you sweet gear and they're timed)!

Q: Is the DLC worth it? What do I even get?
A: The DLC is very much worth it as you get a lot of "bang for your buck". The exact contents as well as the special three-pack offer that nets you Gold Mario are detailed here.

Q: How do I check my ranking on a tournament?
A: In the 'Private Tournament' menu, go to 'Scores' and switch over to 'Standings' for ongoing tournaments or 'Past Scores' for tournaments that are finished. The same 'Scores' option exists for international tournaments you joined via the Castle Club.

Q: How do I buy new gear that I unlocked for my Mii?
A: On the top left of the Castle Club at the base of the stairs is the shop. The two Toads will sell you everything you unlocked (by finishing courses, challenges, online games, etc.). If you have anything new unlocked, the Toads will be jumping to let you know. Seriously, they don't stop jumping, so set them free, will ya? Oh, and do explore the Castle Club, there's a lot of charming stuff to be found.

Q: How do I activate Streetpass and what does it do?
A: Robin64's got you covered.

Q: I don't understand this golf lingo. What does X even mean?
A: The pink Toad in the Entry Floor (basement of the Castle Club, take the stairs in the middle of the main hall/Lobby down) has a useful glossary for all your inquirys. It's worth taking a look as some terms are quite amusing and kinda crazy.

Q: How do I unlock Star Diddy?
A: By beating the One On, One Putt challenge (unlocked after getting all three cups), then the Sky Island challenge. Remember, the rest of the star characters are unlocked by beating the respective golfers in Challenge mode.

Q: The characters talk way too much. Any way to shut them up?
A: 'fraid not. Either turn the volume down or learn to love them! (They don't talk that much, though, come on!)

Q: Any way to make challenges easier (aka 'F%&$ Lakitu!')?
A: Well, you can buy extra mulligans for 10,000 coins from Kamek. You can find him in the bottom left of the castle garden (represented by his purple geometry spell). These let you retake a shot if you feel like you botched it. They also work for Lakitu's challenges, essentially giving you a second chance to screw it up on the next hole.

(Major thanks to Robin64 for the awesome banner!)

Risgroo

pMpSyb0.jpg

Got some serious skillz

Top Bottom