• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki leaves Tecmo, sues Tecmo president

Yoboman

Absinthe said:
That's exactly what they'll do. They'll just released Dead or Alive, etc. with a couple of new characters, etc. The blue prints for these games are there at their disposal.
That all depends on who, if any, leaves with him

Absinthe said:
Look at what Konami is doing with Metal Gear 4.
Then what are Namco Bandai and Tri-Ace/Square Enix doing with Vesperia, Eternal Sonata and Infinite Undiscovery?

Like I said, Tecmo probably wont refuse MS moneyhats when it comes to the next DOA or NG just because they are Japanese.

Yoboman

Absinthe said:
Considering he shits on his employees, I can't see many people following out the door. Just being honest.
A hard boss is not necessarily a bad boss. You don't know how he is in the workplace anyway

Hellraizer said:
Then what are Namco Bandai and Tri-Ace/Square Enix doing with Vesperia, Eternal Sonata and Infinite Undiscovery?

Like I said, Tecmo probably wont refuse MS moneyhats when it comes to the next DOA or NG.

YOU ARE NOT UNDERSTANDING. Seriously dude, what the fuck is so hard to comprehend?

Wtf that was the fast edit in history.

Hellraizer said:

It depends on the company, really. Metal Gear 4 and Final Fantasy 13, as far as we know, are exclusives. They're two of the biggest games yet to be released and they're from third party Japanese companies.

Also, if Tecmo loves money so much why haven't they made DOA multiplatform by now? You know Microsoft isn't paying them beaucoup bucks just to keep that as an exclusive.

Absinthe said:
It depends on the company, really. Metal Gear 4 and Final Fantasy 13, as far as we know, are exclusives. They're two of the biggest games yet to be released and they're from third party Japanese companies.

Hang on a minute. Are you claiming that MGS4 and FF13 aren't moneyhatted?

Zoc

I hope the NG franchise continues. Games aren't like books or movies, they're much more dependent on a team than any one person. NG already has a very established look and feel. In the right hands, a reinterpretation of it by a new guy could turn out really well.

The Innocent X said:
Hang on a minute. Are you claiming that MGS4 and FF13 aren't moneyhatted?

I honestly don't believe so, no. Sony didn't moneyhat Devil May Cry 4, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, etc. and a couple of those games I just listed are bigger than Final Fantasy 13 and MGS4.

OH WOW!

Now Itagaki con join Illusion and make the game he always wanted to do!! :lol :lol

Seriously, this is pretty fucked up, but I can see MS hirng Itagaki in no time..., but obviously DOA and NG aren't gonna be the same....

Absinthe said:

Also, if Tecmo loves money so much why haven't they made DOA multiplatform by now? You know Microsoft isn't paying them beaucoup bucks just to keep that as an exclusive.
MGS4 and FFXIII being exclusive has more to do with the success of the PS2 + Sony probably "funds" both projects in some way.

I dont think it has much to do with brand loyalty. Wada and the Konami execs probably shit on loyalty, otherwise DQIX would have been a PS3 exclusive, right?

And what about Capcom?

None of the big publishers are really exclusive to the 360 or PS3, yes they have 1-2 games that are (Dead Rising, MGS4, FFXIII, IU) but those Titles are split between two different systems. I seriously doubt that Tecmo would go PS3 exclusive (unless Sony pays them more than MS to do so) just because "they are Japanese" since nobody else does it, and they are already multiplatform (Sigma, NG for DS), its just a matter of will DOA5 and NG3 come to the PS3 or not.

I honestly don't believe so, no. Sony didn't moneyhat Devil May Cry 4, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, etc. and a couple of those games I just listed are bigger than Final Fantasy 13 and MGS4.
Um...that would be even more proof that MGS4 and FFXIII are indeed funded ;)

thrasher

Banned
If the fans are lucky, Tecmo will loose the case, president will resign and Itagaki will take over.

If they are REALLY lucky Kojima san will resign next week.

Just thinking out loud

Absinthe said:

I think your nuts. Seriously nuts.

RyuHayate

Pretty heavy stuff.

I never outright hated the guy (even though his recent statements didn't sit right with me), but this is very unfortunate.

Yoboman

thrasher said:
If the fans are lucky, Tecmo will loose the case, president will resign and Itagaki will take over.

Just thinking out loud.
What are you talking about?

thrasher said:

Just thinking out loud

don't smoke crack

just thinking out loud

FightyF

Banned
ChaoticBlue said:
no. the devs wanted it on the ps3.:D

That's all and good, but you'd have to be pretty dumb to not make any console game multi-console (at the very least, at a future date) without a moneyhat.

Absinthe said:
Considering he shits on his employees...

This guy takes badassery to a whole. nutha. levah.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Anybody taking perma ban bets on NG2 coming to PS3? I like to play these. I'll take the "No, NG2 isnt coming to PS3" side just for kicks (I already stated how I feel about this), anybody willing to back up their talk by taking the bet against me?

The reason why I do this is because this thread has turned into a shitfest of "NG2 coming to PS3". I feel guilty because I think I started it. I would love to focus the discussion back on "what Itagaki will work on next" rather than the fanboy bullshit of "which platform wins/loses with these news".

As I said, I can totally see Itagaki joining western devs this time. He has expressed this not so long ago.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This news has got me thinking about what he said in his recent Kikizo interview:

Kikizo: You mentioned to us before that Saito-san would begin production work on Code Cronus once this game was finished, so I am wondering if that has now begun?

Itagaki: So in terms of what I'm going to be doing in the future, we'll be releasing more information probably some time around late June or early July kind of time frame, so you can expect to hear more around then.
I wonder if he was talking about Tecmo/Team Ninja or him-self and whoever he takes along with him?

godhandiscen

duckroll said:
Let's not. It's not worth it.
Ok sorry. However, as I said, I think this thread should focus more on what happens to Itagaki, not what happens to NG2.

Defuser

godhandiscen said:
Ok sorry. However, as I said, I think this thread should focus more on what happens to Itagaki, not what happens to NG2.
A)Join Microsoft
B)Start his own company
C)Join[insert Japanese company]
D)Join Microsoft
E)Join Microsoft
F)Start his own company

Elios83

Wow shocking news!
Honestly I'd like to hear more on the other side too ( it's a bit hard to believe that a company does not to honour a contract without reasons, the president makes fun of the person they have fuck*d and the injured person decides to take action three years after the contract breech. It's also weird that he attacks his collegues in public interviews, there must be reasons behind that).
As for Itagaki I wouldn't worry about him, in the worst case he'll join Shane Kim at Microsoft Japan, in the best case he could still settle with with Tecmo and make a comeback. If he's hired by Microsoft Tecmo will probably go multiplatform with Team Ninja's IP (DOA and NG).

duckroll

Defuser said:
A)Join Microsoft
B)Start his own company
D)Join Microsoft
E)Join Microsoft
F)Start his own company

G) Join 1up
H) Join Microsoft
I) Start his own company
J) Become a mod at NeoGAF
K) Join Microsoft
L) Join GamePro

I like where this is going!

godhandiscen

Defuser said:
A)Join Microsoft
B)Start his own company
D)Join Microsoft
E)Join Microsoft
F)Start his own company
TBH I can even see Itagaki working in God Of War. He has always expressed extreme praise for that series, and right now I heard they were looking for a director. The possibilities are endless. He could make the next Halo for all I care. He could have my babies too.

Prine

Banned
americangangster.gif

"Mah man!"

This Industry needs people like Itagaki, not only for the games, but the drama. I'll go where ever Itagaki goes. My Boi

godhandiscen

Francias Castiglione said:
Maybe the full title of "Ninja Blade" is "Ninja Blade N" and Itagaki will be working at FROM
Nice work at stealing my posts! Nahh jk, but I also mentioned this earlier. Ninja Blade directed by Itagaki and backed by new tech funded by MS.... I can only dream.

Nolan.

I thought it was odd that he was harsher than usual with that Hyashi guy (hyashi taking over his role?). Also imagine if he went to Konami. Anyway this must have been sudden or something because he was still talking about is next game after ninja gaiden 2.

Busty

Banned
This could be the first true test of whether MS are serious about expanding their portfolio of first and second party development studios under Mattrick.

While MS' efforts in Japan have been left wanting (Mistwalker) at least in terms of them making an impact in the Japanese market, no matter what you may think of Itagaki's shameless self promotion he is a developer that appeals to the West just as much as, if not more than, the Eastern market.

Frankly, if MS don't either house him in a new studio or sign him to some sort of deal I think it clearly signals that MS are more intent on signing exclusives from third parties than developing their own stable on IPs that they own outright themselves unlike Gears Of War and Mass Effect.

duckroll

godhandiscen said:
Nice work at stealing my posts! Nahh jk, but I also mentioned this earlier. Ninja Blade directed by Itagaki and backed by new tech funded by MS.... I can only dream.

Is this going to turn into a "I hope [unannounced game] is directed by Itagaki" thread now? I dunno, I have expectations of Ninja Blade based on Otogi and Otogi 2, it's nothing like the type of games Itagaki would make. What's next, Itagaki to direct MGS5? :p

godhandiscen

Liara T'Soni said:
I'm one of the few DOA loyalist....fucking damnit.
I hear you, however, I think DOA reached its peak with DOA4. There is no better fighter "imo", and I can keep playing that for years to come.

duckroll said:
Is this going to turn into a "I hope [unannounced game] is directed by Itagaki" thread now? I dunno, I have expectations of Ninja Blade based on Otogi and Otogi 2, it's nothing like the type of games Itagaki would make. What's next, Itagaki to direct MGS5? :p
No, but if MS recruits Itagaki it makes sense that he would join a currently announced project. I doubt MS would invest in a whole new project just for Itagaki, at least not right off the bat, but then again iItagaki is the only man to whom I would give $20 Million right now to create the ultimate badass game.

Also, how can you hope Ninja Blade be based on Otogi (magical realm) if it has been rumored to be more of a matrix/future type of game? Do you know something we don't?

Nolan.

Busty said:
This could be the first true test of whether MS are serious about expanding their portfolio of first and second party development studios under Mattrick.

While MS' efforts in Japan have been left wanting (Mistwalker) at least in terms of them making an impact in the Japanese market, no matter what you may think of Itagaki's shameless self promotion he is a developer that appeals to the West just as much as, if not more than, the Eastern market.

Frankly, if MS don't either house him in a new studio or sign him to some sort of deal I think it clearly signals that MS are more intent on signing exclusives from third parties than developing their own stable on IPs that they own outright themselves unlike Gears Of War and Mass Effect.

Itagaki's vision is imo perfect for a western audience. So I think he'd fit neatly with ms with their budget and his creations he can only do better things. I'm not sure if they would opt for it in a rush though since they seem to be slow. Either ea, sega or even capcom might get there before them. However ms is about the only publisher apart from tecmo that i've ever heard him praise so much.

godhandiscen said:
I hear you, however, I think DOA reached its peak with DOA4. There is no better fighter "imo", and I can keep playing that for years to come.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xu2jcuqcIRA

Not at all, DOA4 still needs tremendous work, there's so many things wrong In this video I don't know where to begin, those were mid\high level players, (besides the shitty ayane) Mids that looks like lows, clipping, tech roll actually working once in a blue moon online etc.

Top Bottom