• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one game towards the beginning of the sale that I had never even heard of, and it turned out to be the best thing I have gotten in the sale, a game called Betrayer

thebloo

Yes, but they already reached that goal quite a few months ago:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/83225/broken-age-sales-secure-funding-for-act-2-development

I have to say I'm in agreement with Sendou here. Not that Broken Age shouldn't be on sale—by all means, go ahead and discount it—but that I don't think it should have went under $15 before fully releasing. As a backer, I think it's kind of a bummer that I don't even have a release date for when the game I paid for the development of will be complete and yet it's going for almost half of what I paid already. Yes, I accepted that risk when funding it in the first place, but that doesn't make it a positive.

Should have discounted to $15 for its featured dealio. Going under that just feels unfair and kind of scummy toward backers. I don't even know when, or if, they'll release part two!

Yeah you can apparently get it for under $4 in the Russian store. I just think when you pre-order or buy an incomplete game from someone who has 100% control over the price it's incredibly disheartening to see the product see heavy discounts even before the actual promised product is on the hands of the people who paid the biggest price. I absolutely think everyone should either use the Minecraft model (game is cheaper the earlier it is in production) or at the very least have the decency of keeping the price at the same level until final release. I guess the line of thinking is that people who jump in without seeing anyone are the biggest fans and don't mind paying more in relation to everyone else. That's probably true but developers who do this are only doing harm to themselves and this whole model in the long run. Early Access game that aren't even close to release yet still receiving discounts like 50% or more (!) are in the exact same category. Once again I know some people think this is okay but I have to say I can't count myself among those people.

Good posts, both of them.

Sendou

In fairness, although I would laugh at the carnage. The devs twitter said it wouldn't come back.

I don't think devs actually know if their games are going to appear as flash or community sales. They just simply send Valve two prices "normal" sale price and the "special" price (used in daily, community and flash sales).

but we dont censor sex. It's an old thing, but it was allways: USA censors sex and Germany (Australia) censors violence

Important to note we (Australia) don't really do that anymore with the new rating system. Reason we did before was the highest rating we had was 15, and (surprise) some violence is a bit much for 15 year olds.

I'm wondering how this is accomplished. Isn't the whole game about shooting Nazis?

They become "the regime", never mentioned by name, and swastikas are removed.

Faerith

Neo Member
I still don't understand why these types of games get banned in germany, i think people should be allowed to make the choice wether to buy it or not.

We are not allowed to see Hakenkreuz and Hitler in a game (german version is censored, not unavailable), else we might turn into mad Nazis
- nevermind all the documentations on TV about the Reich.

To quote the steampage: Hinweis: Um hiesigen Gesetzen Rechnung zu tragen, wurden insbesondere einschlägige Symbole und Inhalte, die gegen § 86a des deutschen Strafgesetzbuches oder vergleichbare Verbotsvorschriften verstoßen oder verstoßen können, um nicht minder atmosphärische Alternativen ersetzt.

translation: To abide local law, special symbols and content, that are in violation, or might be, with §86a german penal code, or equal prohibitions, are replaced with other not less ambient alternatives.

edit: Comparison, for those curious

huh...i finally bother to get the last couple things I needed for my lvl 2 community ambassador badge (crafted a bunch of others, but never finished that one off).

Got me a level, but didn't give me a card drop. not a big deal (or even a little deal), but an observation.

Trying now to get and sell enough cards off to maybe buy one last <$1 game...sadly I already picked up Marlow Briggs (for $1) otherwise it'd be that one, and I can't bring myself to actually buy Bad Rats. So, we'll see.

MUnited83

For you.
thoughts and opinions

i have enough to buy Cloudbuilt and Strike Vector when it inevitably goes on sale. plus a Marlow Briggs for Giveaway

Can you guys sell me on the first too? so far i'm getting Mirrors Edge plus Sanic plus...Mega Man X? and Strike vector just looks cool

did you buy anyof them yet?

gSqugnW.png
sC0HHjH.png

derExperte

I thought it was anything revisionist in something that isn't deemed art is banned?

A movie that in all seriousness claims the Holocaust never happend will get the banhammer too, no matter how artsy it is. But you can show swastikas in movies while that can't happen in games no matter the context. I and many other don't think these laws concerning games make sense anymore but it's difficult to change them.

Chariot

Yes it is. It's basically completly free of any Nazi symbolism and speech.
I posted the Schnittberichte article. There is the obvious thing to replace the Swastika with the Wolfenstein Symbol, but things get hillarious. There is a guys picture replaced with a dog, Nazis are now "Regime-Leute" and poor Fritz Hausser is now Karl Hausser. Also at least one section was changed
Verbrennungsofen

yami4ct

Trying to get enough cards to craft the badge once more for fun and the adventure card 2 is completely broken on my market. Won't let me place a bid. Haha. Sure it'll work itself out, but funny none the less.

Faerith

Neo Member
A movie that in all seriousness claims the Holocaust never happend will get the banhammer too, no matter how artsy it is. But you can show swastikas in movies while that can't happen in games no matter the context. I and many other don't think these laws concerning games make sense anymore but it's difficult to change them.

I think the problem is one is passivly consumed (TV, Movie), while games are active content you can interact with ? At least that's how I explain it to myself. ^^

user237

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-563E760F39E46759 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 62 entrants total.

t1403986888z1.png

MYSTERY MEAT!!!

Speevy

Banned
I have a question about Marlow Briggs. Who the hell made this game and how did it get to be 99 cents? Did the developer close? Most indies couldn't afford to make a game like this, so I imagine they were backed by someone.

Tizoc

called it on Wolfenstein like mad

yet you guys still bough it

wait for dailies wins again sucka

Ya'all cheap jiggas be whining about $10 gamez not goin' for two fitty, but you instantly drop 30 Obamas on Nazi Slaughter Simulator 2014
YTG2PZC.png

But that's non of my business tho

Jonm1010

Banned
Broforce is my favorite game I've bought so far.

This is why I love GAF. Never would I have even thought to get this game if it weren't for the high praise, let alone an early release.

derExperte

I think the problem is one is passivly consumed (TV, Movie), while games are active content you can interact with ? At least that's how I explain it to myself. ^^

Yeah, that's the differentiator. Broadly speaking it went like this a few decades ago: 'We won't allow any toys with swastikas (and certain other symbols) on them.' -> videogames got inventend -> 'Games are toys so the laws apply to them.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom