• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Just did Time Attack for the first time last night and boy, am I glad the game resets the level automatically when you die. Bothered the crap out of me in Returns.

I just finished this game, my impressions:

Plus
  • Better than Returns
  • Water level
  • Dixie is back
  • Cranky is awesome
  • Time attack is nice
Minus
  • Lack of Kremlings
  • Lack of more animal buddies

gotoadgo

I just finished this game, my impressions:

Plus
  • Better than Returns
  • Water level
  • Dixie is back
  • Cranky is awesome
  • Time attack is nice
Minus

• [*]Lack of Kremlings
  • Lack of more animal buddies

This didn't bother as much as I thought it might as the new villains had quite a bit of personality to them unlike the Tiki's from the first game. More animal buddies would be nice if they make a third though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
No hyperbole here, but the soundtrack for this game may be one of humanity's finest accomplisments in the last decade

After hitting 100% this week I can say with confidence that I had a far better experience with Tropical Freeze than I did with DKCR, where I liked the level design well enough but never bothered collecting KONG letters and puzzle pieces as the clumsiness of the roll and blow did not entice me to master them. My main complaint about TF is that I never took to the swimming controls, but much of that was due to the relative lack of opportunity for practice, such that I wasn't accustomed to the momentum and turning radius of the underwater dash until several attempts into 4-Boss, and never quite adapted to it. In contrast, I didn't much mind that it took me a few stages in World 1 to become acquainted with the rolling physics and playing without a run button, and from that point on I coasted through most of the game at 99 lives until World 6. (No, I didn't use Funky's shop for anything apart from figurines, but as with the recent Mario games I don't mind the presence of a crutch for less patient players.) Looking up my activity log afterwards, I found that World 6/7 and the K-levels occupied over half my time with the game, which speaks to exactly the kind of difficulty curve I appreciate.

The fact that my lives were capped for most of the game masks how many attempts at stages I actually botched, and I think this speaks to a nuanced gradation of difficulty design that encourages the player to persist. Consider:

• Puzzle pieces, once collected, stay collected unless you abandon the stage or hit a Game Over; you don't need to prove you can obtain them yet again on further attempts. This encourages you to stay on a difficult stage and see it through.
  • KONG tiles motivate the checkpoint placement. Since you need to get them all on one pass, if you miss a letter you can usually take a dive before the next checkpoint to make another attempt without having to start from scratch—usually. There are some odd exceptions where you need a buddy character from a barrel inaccessible past your previous checkpoint.
  • The spread of bananas/hearts/balloons allows you to make a net gain in lives on difficult stages and rewards you for progressing. You can see this in stages like Bopopolis, where the further you get, the more lives you accumulate to keep you afloat, and you don't even need to progress too far in the stage to stay balloon-neutral in the sense of collecting lives as quickly as you're losing them.

This basic framework was already in place in DKCR, of course, but as it was only in TF that I made a serious run for full completion, only now did I see it shine.

I'm taking a break from the game for the foreseeable future (ha—we'll see how long this lasts), but I do look forward to running Hard Mode as it occurred to me early on, and again when I completed the K-levels, that were it not for the collection of KONG letters what really makes the stages shine is if you dispose of the checkpoints and see the entire layout unfold with a coherent beginning, middle, and end—every act within a stage building anticipation for the next. Once you master a stage from start to finish, it's surprising how short and unified it suddenly feels. And while I'm not the speed-running sort at all, I adore the ability to download and watch world-record runs right in the game, just to admire the speed tricks and pick up unexpected shortcuts with a clear and immediate memory of how hard they must have been to pull off. It was here that the masterful precision of the level design truly revealed itself.

Dixie did indeed render Diddy obsolete in most cases unless you wanted to farm balloons with Kung Pow, but there was a stark exception to this in 6-K, where with the low ceiling hazard Dixie's gain in height was a liability, and Diddy made for a far better buddy (even if the spikes everywhere nudge the player toward Cranky as the buddy of choice). I don't know if I would have preferred the stages or certain collectibles to strongly favour every character equally, though, as that would have felt restrictive. But it's just as restrictive, all things being equal, for Dixie to be reliably the best choice apart from a few exceptional circumstances.

On another note, I spent far too many attempts on 5-3 (Fruity Factory) trying to carry a barrel all the way to the end because I was absolutely convinced the wall on the right blocked with fruit just before the final drop was obviously the secret exit. When I finally chucked an object at the wall and it didn't yield, I spent a few seconds just staring in shock.

Beautiful, elegant game—and I played it all off-TV, so I haven't even experienced it in full HD.

Richie

Hello, I am Richie from NeoGAF, gaming n00b, and I officially beat 7-3 with all puzzle pieces this morning. Wotta feeling of accomplishment, people, old school goodness! I AM APE, HEAR ME ROAR!

Now to finish 7-2...

Finalow

almost finished island 4, the water levels are gorgeous. especially Amiss Abyss, the music too. I'm not sure if the controls underwater are bad or if it's me, it doesn't feel really smooth navigating there.
I also liked the other 3 islands, less favourite is probably the second one.

by the way, how do you use the popgun?

almost finished island 4, the water levels are gorgeous. especially Amiss Abyss, the music too. I'm not sure if the controls underwater are bad or if it's me, it doesn't feel really smooth navigating there.
I also liked the other 3 islands, less favourite is probably the second one.

by the way, how do you use the popgun?

Some people have had trouble with the swimming controls, though I had none personally. Make sure you use the analogue stick in water areas and press A for a normal stroke.

Strange at Autumn Heights being your least favorite though, it's definitely a favorite of many fellow Gaffers! I might be wrong, but i think you have to jump and groundpound to shoot your projectile.

Finalow

Some people have had trouble with the swimming controls, though I had none personally. Make sure you use the analogue stick in water areas and press A for a normal stroke.

Strange at Autumn Heights being your least favorite though, it's definitely a favorite of many fellow Gaffers! I might be wrong, but i think you have to jump and groundpound to shoot your projectile.
yes I used A and Y for the boost but I didn't really enjoy them too much.

anyway, is there really a way to actually shoot? I didn't mean to pick up stuff and throw it. so far I tried various combinations but nothing worked. //edit I guess I somehow read that you can shoot but that's not the case.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Has everyone watched this easter egg video? There's some cool stuff in there I hadn't noticed. Like how there's duck hunt ducks in one level, and a submerged SMB3 tank. That the final world is full of Returns callbacks is obvious, but I never noticed that the first level of Returns is in the background of 6-1. So much detail and hidden tidbits in this game, just incredible.

M_A_C

I just started playing this game again and it's so good! I love the atmosphere of the second world. The art style and 60 fps make it so charming.

Finalow

just finished it. really good game, liked almost every world and level and also the ost is great. loved these, snowmad theme and funky waters.
if I have to complain I'd say that I didn't like too much the design of some bosses and also that I was expecting more and better levels from the secret wolrd 7.

Has everyone watched this easter egg video? There's some cool stuff in there I hadn't noticed. Like how there's duck hunt ducks in one level, and a submerged SMB3 tank. That the final world is full of Returns callbacks is obvious, but I never noticed that the first level of Returns is in the background of 6-1. So much detail and hidden tidbits in this game, just incredible.

Thanks for sharing. Some of those obscure ones I had no idea about haha.

Finalow

bashmaster in world 5 is, in my opinion, the best boss fight. there is this great track during the fight.
I also found funny those short cutscenes before any boss fight.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Wow, I had no idea about the Duck Hunt ducks or the Donkey Kong 3 one.

Wow, I had no idea about the Duck Hunt ducks or the Donkey Kong 3 one.

I didn't even notice ducks PERIOD during that part, and I've played through the game four times, soaking in tons of detail. Retro really does go above and beyond to illustrate even the most inconsequential details.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I didn't even notice ducks PERIOD during that part, and I've played through the game four times, soaking in tons of detail. Retro really does go above and beyond to illustrate even the most inconsequential details.

Gotta love it. One of my favorites is how the penguin in 5-2 (I think) parachutes down and gets eaten at the end of the level after his contraption gets destroyed:

zlCfzRpSMw0bAIezDU

Cracks me up every time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
@Niraj What?! Are you kidding me lol. I never noticed that, I need to watch this again.

edit: made a gif

CKDeA9u.gif

so awesome

This is my first time really playing through a Donkey Kong game. I have played around with the original and Donkey Kong Country series on the SNES but never really tried to play through them. Having said that, this game is really infuriatingly fun. The game is gorgeous, the soundtrack is amazing and the levels are challenging.This game more than any Wii U game needs a remastered version though. The load times are really long for a games in the 8th generation, the controls are unresponsive sometimes and the co-op actually makes the game harder due to a lot of strange gameplay choices.

All in all I really am looking forward to beating this. I'm only on the 4 world though.

Socreges

Banned
Any consensus on best controller option? I've got the pro controller, was comfortable using nunchuk+Wiimote for the first one, so I really don't know.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Any consensus on best controller option? I've got the pro controller, was comfortable using nunchuk+Wiimote for the first one, so I really don't know.

I finished the game with the gamepad, then got a pro and played through some levels with it... Felt great. Perfect controller for this game

M_A_C

Pro with analogue stick I like the best.

VVV - Yeah I love the 2-1 world, but wait till you hear the 3-1 music!

Socreges

Banned
Yeah I started with the Pro/analogue and I think I'll stick with it. Just gotta train my brain to know which buttons do what. It's not immediately intuitive and different enough from nunchuk/wiimote that I feel like I'm learning how to play all over again. I've also been playing a lot of Mario recently and it takes some time to adapt to DKC's heavy physics. You have to play a smarter, more deliberate game

Otherwise I've only gotten as far as 1-Boss and 2-1, but I'm already loving it. The music is very good (so glad they got Wise back) and the art direction is excellent. Lots of little touches that give the environment tons of character. The enemies are simple at this point, but they fit into the world perfectly and are very animated

Socreges

Banned
I'm seeing several 'secret' levels that branch out. I've got 1-B Busted Bayou unlocked - are the others secret exits as well or are some K levels unlocked by getting all the KONG letters? Seems like this game has sometimes multiple secret exits per world whereas DKCR had none...

(which I like)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm seeing several 'secret' levels that branch out. I've got 1-B Busted Bayou unlocked - are the others secret exits as well or are some K levels unlocked by getting all the KONG letters? Seems like this game has sometimes multiple secret exits per world whereas DKCR had none...

(which I like)

Every world has a K level that you get by collecting all the letters in the world. The other levels are secret exits. Sometimes there's more than one per world yes.

Just finished this yesterday, it is the only 2d platformer I would put on the level of DKC2 and that is saying a lot. The variety and level design is insanely good, and the different partners' playstyles are all great. I'm actually even thinking of replaying it entirely with each of them.

Also, are these the best underwater controls in any game ever or what? I didn't really 'get' them at first, and so I was annoyed at the world with mainly underwater levels. Once I got used to them though it feels so graceful and elegant. Loved it.

SMattera

Obviously not going to read this entire topic.

But scrolling through the last few pages --

Have the people praising this game played co-op?

As a co-op game, it's full of what I would consider bugs in the sense that they're horrendous design decisions. Break-away platforms; forcing both players to get in the barrel before it launches; platforms that shoot to the other side of the screen when one person touches it. It's broken.

I'm sure it's better as a single player game, but I only got it in the first place for couch co-op. In the fourth world finally after much frustration. Thinking about quitting.

SMattera

That's probably what I'll do, but the game has left a bad taste in my mouth. Why even offer co-op/advertise it as a co-op if it wasn't designed for co-op? Because of this, I consider this game to be the Wii U's most overrate title, and among the most overrated games released this year.

Lunar15

That's probably what I'll do, but the game has left a bad taste in my mouth. Why even offer co-op/advertise it as a co-op if it wasn't designed for co-op?

Because they're trying to grab that NSMBWii/U audience. It's more of a family play if you advertise using two people at the same time. They did it with DKCR too. It's weird and annoying, and you can kind of tell Retro never regarded it as a priority.

Definitely not an optimal experience, but I wouldn't let it ruin what is an otherwise stellar game.

SMattera

Because they're trying to grab that NSMBWii/U audience. It's more of a family play if you advertise using two people at the same time. They did it with DKCR too. It's weird and annoying, and you can kind of tell Retro never regarded it as a priority.

It's not only annoying, but dishonest and downright scammy.

I never played DKCR, but going forward, I'm not sure if I'll buy Retro-made games.

Lunar15

It's not only annoying, but dishonest and downright scammy.

I never played DKCR, but going forward, I'm not sure if I'll buy Retro-made games.

That's a bit of hyperbole, don't you think?

The Co-Op is designed more for players who aren't that good at platformers while allowing them a taste of the game. That's why they can just hop on DK's back whenever they want in order to let player 1 (the more experienced player in this hypothetical) take over and get past tricky parts.

It's not unplayable with two players and it's certainly not buggy. It's just not the main focus of the game.

SMattera

This is utter hyperbole. I think you need to calm down a bit.

It's advertised as a co-op game, it lets you play co-op mode, but it's almost impossibly difficult as a co-op game (forget about finding the hidden items).

That's either:
A) Very poor design, in which case it's a bad game

or

B) A bolt-on feature the core game wasn't designed around, and was included to get people to buy the game that otherwise wouldn't have

I think we both agree it's B. I would have had no problems with the game if it was a single player game only (because I wouldn't have bought it in the first place). But if it was sold as a multiplayer game, it should've been designed with multiplayer in mind.

EDIT: Just to reiterate, the difficulty in co-op mode doesn't come from the game actually being difficult, but from design decisions. Rayman Origins has some pretty difficult levels, for example, but the difficulty is the same when playing it with one, two, three or more players.

jnWake

Lol @ the overreaction. They never marketed DKC:TF as the ultimate co-op experience, it just has co-op in case you want to play with it. Get over it.

Mlatador

Banned
I find it kind of awesome that Squawks is actually usefull this time around. After beating the game I'm now at collecting everything. There is always minimum 1 Puzzle Piece per level I just can't find or have major trouble finding. Good thing Squawks isn't too expensive :)

180px-Squawks_DKCTF.png

My first game for my new wii u. And just playing Horn Top Hop alone has justified the purchase of the system. The music, the atmosphere, the creativity, the music, the animals playing trumpets, the music... So freaking gorgeous. My favorite level so far.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My first game for my new wii u. And just playing Horn Top Hop alone has justified the purchase of the system. The music, the atmosphere, the creativity, the music, the animals playing trumpets, the music... So freaking gorgeous. My favorite level so far.

Hard to believe, but it gets better. Enjoy the game, TF is amazing all the way through.

Ceej

I want a CD soundtrack to this game so bad, I know the OST for Returns came out a fair bit after the game, so that gives me hope :/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
God, I am so bad at this game. I'm struggling to get through the third level, lol.

Top Bottom