• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Xbox One June 2014 sales more than double May 2014's sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metfanant

Clearly this is a preemptive PR announcement because we will be getting Sony's "#1 selling hardware" announcement tomorrow (shit, maybe they release it tonight to counter the MS release)...

but obviously you would say you were #1 if you were #1 (especially after being beaten for a good string of months in a row now

It's not that 154 is particularly good or particularly bad on it's own. It's that May's sales (77k) were torpedoed, presumably because of April's numbers (115k), and all they got out of it was a very, very slight boost in sales in June (154k).

April = 29k per week
May = 19k per week
June = 31k per week

* this post assumes the number is actually 154.

Exactly, putting it like that better illustrates why, while yes this is good, it's certainly not great. The X1 is still in troubled waters.

Xando

With the rather mediocre sales in the US and UK and the poor sales in continental Europe this time next year i can buy a XB1 for 250€

Clearly this is a preemptive PR announcement because we will be getting Sony's "#1 selling hardware" announcement tomorrow (shit, maybe they release it tonight to counter the MS release)...

but obviously you would say you were #1 if you were #1 (especially after being beaten for a good string of months in a row now

In march Sony announced 7 million the day before they won NPD. I still wonder why sony did that. A lot of people though MS came 1st because of that.

jakncoke

Banned
Do people really think the Halo collection will see the XB1 to 1st place in November? I'm not really a Halo fan so it's tough to gauge the excitment, but it's essentially a remake collection right?

Since the PS4 will likely be even further ahead by then, I would imagine that's where people will want to play the big 3rd party games later this year

If MS gets desperate they could broker up some crazy 2 games + a 300 xbone or something for Black Friday deals.

Megatron

I like how so many people in this thread interpret 'more than double' as 'exactly double' or maybe 'double plus 1,000 units'. Lol.

The agendas are real.

Jomjom

Banned
It really does. "Almost" definitely sounds worse than "more than." It's like how, for whatever asinine reason, 1.99 sounds like it's less than 2.00. The actual numbers aren't nearly as important as the approximations they represent.

People don't care about qualifiers. Triple vs double is what's important.

PS3 sold 100-160 in summer all the time in US. Don't think this is out of line for a second place system.

Besides its not even a true price drop. It's just unbundled version.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wonder how well the X1 will do versus the Wii U which was riding on a strong E3 and Mariokart fever?
Anyways I'm glad they put up some decent numbers and wonder what the sku breakdown was? I contributed, but with a Kinect Forza bundle.

nelchaar

It's not that 154 is particularly good or particularly bad on it's own. It's that May's sales (77k) were torpedoed, presumably because of April's numbers (115k), and all they got out of it was a very, very slight boost in sales in June (154k).

April = 29k per week
May = 19k per week
June = 31k per week

* this post assumes the number is actually 154.

Damn that is bad.. It almost caused little to no momentum shift. Don't compare the numbers to May (which was compromised by Microsoft's announcement of a coming price-cut, so few people bought in), but compare it to April.

Doesn't matter if it's sanctioned or not, the most likely reason the deals happen is because they are trying to move stock.

Fair enough, but if we're going by that then PS4 has seen a few sub-$400 deals from online retailers recently as well.

Are those kinds of Ebay deals counted by NPD, out of curiosity? I'm guessing not.

Bgamer90

Banned
The market has changed considerable since then though. It's almost irrelevant bringing that up. A much better way of doing it is looking at more recent remasters and remakes.

Not really irrelevant. I mean, I just said it in reply to your statement. In terms of "irrelevant" though, Super Mario All-Stars, just like Halo MMC, is 4 games in one -- games that are of a very popular series. Both collections have (or had) a great amount of content for their price. And yeah, the market has changed... things are more multiplayer focused now. Isn't that good news for Halo MMC?

Eolz

I like how so many people in this thread interpret 'more than double' as 'exactly double' or maybe 'double plus 1,000 units'. Lol.

The agendas are real.

I sorta agree, but Microsoft would have said 2.5x or nearly 3x if that was the case...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't know if I would say the Halo collection remaster would be enough, but November also sees the next Call of Duty game come out and that should get quite a bit of co-marketing with the XB1. On the other side, you have whatever co-marketing deal gets done with Far Cry 4/Grand Theft Auto V and the PS4 plus LittleBigPlanet 3.

Should make for an interesting month, though I'd say they have a better chance of winning October.

I could be talking outta my arse here, but I actually don't think the Cod co-marketing is gonna do a whole lot for the XB1. Whilst I'm sure it was very important, CoD probably sold more on the 360 because it was a more popular console with a better online infrastructure. Obviously this is no longer the case with the PS4 and XB1. Actually what was the breakdown for Ghosts on PS4 Vs XB1?

PS3 sold 100-160 in summer all the time in US. Don't think this is out of line for a second place system.

Besides its not even a true price drop. It's just unbundled version.

For all intents and purposes it's effectively the same thing, it was a $500 system and now it's a $400 system.

Not really irrelevant. I mean, I just said it in reply to your statement. In terms of "irrelevant" though, Super Mario All-Stars, just like Halo MMC, is 4 games in one -- games that are of a very popular series. Both collections have (or had) a great amount of content for their price. And yeah, the market has changed... things are more multiplayer focused now. Isn't that good news for Halo MMC?

when you have to look back over 20 years for an example....that called clutching at straws

In march Sony announced 7 million the day before they won NPD. I still wonder why sony did that. A lot of people though MS came 1st because of that.

March NPD was so entertaining. People were already saying that Titanfall was gonna turn it all around, then the 7 mil announcement came and people started to believe more and more. Then came NP D-day and it turned out PS4 outsold Xbox One with 60K.

True. I suppose we'll see. I'm still of the opinion that while the MCC will sell very, very well (much like TF), it won't be a huge system mover unless MS does like a $299 Halo Bundle for BF. I'd jump on that.

Colin Moriarty's a great guy and does excellent work. But his article on this topic is a perfect example of how the media gets fooled by these types of stories, and I'd expect a little bit more critical thinking from Colin.

His headline (the one on IGN's main page that you click to get to the article) reads: "Xbox One Sells Huge in June, Doubles May's Numbers"

It sold "huge" in June? Really? His article talks about how great the sales are: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/xbox-one-sales-double-from-may-to-june

The problem is that he makes no mention of how terrible Xbox One sales were in May. And they were partly terrible because Microsoft announced the incoming price drop a month early. So, the sales doubled in June because they were abysmal in May. Doubling poor sales does not equate to "huge" sales.

At launch:
x360 Premium: $399
x360: $299

xONE: $499
xONE: $399

MS need a thrid $299 option and also a $199 without blueray and cheap plastic

hawk2025

Colin Moriarty's a great guy and does excellent work. But his article on this topic is a perfect example of how the media gets fooled by these types of stories, and I'd expect a little bit more critical thinking from Colin.

His headline (the one on IGN's main page that you click to get to the article) reads: "Xbox One Sells Huge in June, Doubles May's Numbers"

It sold "huge" in June? Really? His article talks about how great the sales are: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/xbox-one-sales-double-from-may-to-june

The problem is that he makes no mention of how terrible Xbox One sales were in May, partly because Microsoft announced the incoming price drop. So, the sales doubled because they were absolutely abysmal in May. Doubling poor sales does not equate to "huge" sales.

He wasn't fooled.

He's writing a puff piece.

RexNovis

Banned
Sounds like pre-emptive damage control for tomorrow.

If they were #1 would/could they say it?

Well they aren't saying double 'weekly' sales tho...makes me think even with an extra week in the month they have only around 150k...which is a poor result

uh oh

NPD (hardware) not looking good I am guessing for MS

Doubling May is nowhere near enough.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

Nice to hear. Seems like they are trying to get a positive narrative out before tomorrow.

144k doesn't strike me as good. In fact its kind of bad isn't it for a 5 week period.

My thoughts exactly. Why are they bragging about doubling admittedly HORRID sales? While its certainly not bad news it's also not really good news. But, spin doctors are gonna spin I suppose.

Destiny will sell more copies on the PS4, just like Watch Dogs did.

Co-marketing
plus
exclusive Alpha
plus
exclusive Beta time
plus
exclusive DLC
plus
exclusive Season Pass stuff
plus
bundle with PS4 in a brand new colour

PS3 had Europe and Japan, where does XB1 have to make up the loss of marketshare?

New Zealand!

ethomaz

Banned
Hmm, I traded in my PS4 to GameStop last month for an XB1 after E3. Out of all the games announced, that Halo MCC was the only game that was a guaranteed purchase.
Why somebody buy a console knowing his favorite franchise won't be on that console to trade this console for another six months before his favorite franchise game launches is way ahead of my mind :D

Proxy

I'm surprised you ever owned a PS4... :p

It's funny because he made this post on 5-29-2014.

I had a launch XB1 but returned it for a PS4, because I hated spending $60 for a game knowing that if I had a PS4 I would get a superior version for the same $60. I have both now though, because Microsoft is coming fast with the updates making XB1 much better has a all around media device I planned to use it for.

Metfanant

fair enough...but do you really think thats the case here?? didnt the PS4 sell double the Xbone in May??...

do we really think PS4 sales dropped (especially with the extra week that June NPD covers)??

LQX

With PS4 being damn near $340 for the last 2 months, no way MS beat them. Sony did an unannounced price cut that lasted weeks so MS price drop would not really get that much momentum. I'm sure of it.

EGM1966

That was an obvious double whammy - get praise for 7million and attention so that next day you get maximum coverage for winning NPD.

Seems unlikely from this release MS are in position to do same thing though.

Hoje0308

Banned

The agendas are real.

I don't think it's exactly double, but it needed to be about triple given the longer month and the fact that a price drop just went into effect. Less than 200k very likely puts them behind Sony on the only month in which it looks like they had a chance until fall. Yeah, numbers will pick up but they're getting hammered everywhere else so the pressure is on to at least maintain the gap in this territory.

J3ffro

Yikes. If that is all they are willing to divulge, after last month's train wreck, that is really not a good sign.

Far from the death knell, but continuing to lose ground is not how anyone wants to spend their first year.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Aqua, correct me if I'm wrong:

Xboxone April 2014 total (4 weeks): 115K for a weekly average of 28.75K
Xboxone May 2014 total (4 weeks): 77K for a weekly average of 19.25K
Xboxone June 2014 total (5 weeks): ~155K for a weekly average of 31K

So it's slightly above the weekly total before the price cut/unbundling was announced.
When you compare the weekly average of April vs. June, it paints even a bleaker picture for the prospects of XB1. Regardless of where it stands against the competition, a $100 price drop should yield healthier results.

Hopefully they manage to do that sometime soon.

pixlexic

Banned
With PS4 being damn near $340 for the last 2 months, no way MS beat them. Sony did an unannounced price cut that lasted weeks so MS price drop would not really get that much momentum. I'm sure of it.

kind of funny that its the exact opposite of the 360 vs ps3 sales early on last gen.

Karma is a bitch!

The problem is that he makes no mention of how terrible Xbox One sales were in May. And they were partly terrible because Microsoft announced the incoming price drop a month early. So, the sales doubled in June because they were abysmal in May. Doubling poor sales does not equate to "huge" sales.

I'm almost certain that they weren't confused. They know exactly what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom