• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
You're dead to me zlonkyn.
lol sorry

lana del rey is pretty me, all sappy, creepy and weird. i like that. your girl is all smiles and having fun and calling people assholes.

can't have that

Looks like they fixed the price for Jagged Alliance Flashback from 81% discount to 15%.
Now I'm glad I got it.

dam i didn't know about this

jagged alliance flashback actually looks pretty alright

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A Talisman: Digital Edition dev just added me on Steam. I hope he doesn't yell at me for what I said.

Edit: Actually, I don't think he's a dev as he doesn't have a Steamworks badge. The name + 600-odd hours of game time had me believe otherwise.

The book that it is based on isn't bad either, very Cormac McCarthy in its grammar. I've seen Jon Hopkins live and he is amazing. And Bat For Lashes, Natasha king is so good.

I'm not big on BFL in general but I love Laura (as in the song). I'm a sucker for pretty much anything that heavily features the piano.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm not big on BFL in general but I love Laura (as in the song). I'm a sucker for pretty much anything that heavily features the piano.

Warren Ellis and Nick Cave have similar tunes as featured in the soundtrack.
I know Jon Hopkins was heavily influenced by and collaborated with Brian Eno.
The Road theme

JaseC

I watched it on Netflix just a week or so ago, and thought it was pretty good too, it does start slow but has a good second half.

My issue with the first half is that it's rather rushed from a characterisation perspective (e.g. there's literally less than 10 minutes between Daisy rejecting Eddie's advances and the sex scene), which consequently hurts the core theme of "love leading you home", to paraphrase the tagline (on the bright side, though, there's no shortage of beautiful shots of the verdant countryside). The film's at its best once the focus shifts to Daisy and Piper.

Fun fact: One of the blokes Daisy kills towards the end of the film is Saoirse's dad.

Chariot

Do I see that right, that the Fable Anniversary edition only has graphical changes? I would've loved to buy it again, if they would implemented some new fun quests, but only graphical changes aren't that cool.

Shadownet

Banned
Navi is falling apart again. but what a great AWP stand off.

Edit: wrong thread. But man you guys should watch CSGO tourney. its tense.

JaseC

Do I see that right, that the Fable Anniversary edition only has graphical changes? I would've loved to buy it again, if they would implemented some new fun quests, but only graphical changes aren't that cool.

Yep:

Edit: I still need to finish my playthrough of the original that I abandoned about a month-and-a-half ago despite being only an hour or two from the end. I'm hopeless.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

So I finally finished playing Dark Scavenger. It was okay.

It's basically a point and click adventure game with light RPG elements. Most of the gameplay is broken down into four parts: clicking on set pieces on the map, choosing different prompts, crafting weapons, and light RPG battles. The first part is pretty straightforward; just move your cursor around until something lights up and click on it. It's pretty basic, and that's how you can describe most of the game. The different option you can choose from seem to have some depth to them until you realize that it all leads to pretty much the same outcome at the end of each of the game's chapters. Though you can miss out on items, dialogue, and chances to make progression go by smoother by choosing the wrong option. Every option has different dialogue, though, so it's interesting to see what else could happen. It would be easier to do that if it weren't for the auto-save system saving after each event; if you want to see different dialogue paths, you either have to restart the individual chapter or die. The third part revolves around the items you may or may not receive as loot for finishing an event or a battle. It's also pretty basic, but there's at least some variety to it. You can only use a material to craft a weapon, an item, or an ally, each one turning out differently. Reading each new piece of inventory's description is the best part of the whole process, because the writing is actually pretty good. If there's only one thing to keep you hooked with the game, it's the writing, though the eccentric characters and silly events don't hurt either. The fourth part, the turn based battle system, is, once again, basic and sort of poorly executed. You have to scroll through three different lists to find an item, weapon, or ally to use in the battle (which gets a little irritating by the end of the game and you've got a ton of stuff to choose from), and there are no stats; everything is dependent upon your equipment, which is why I call the battle system an example of "RPG lite" elements. It really helps to diversify which types of equipment you have, especially since you'll need to rely on different attacks since each one has a durability counter, which luckily replenishes automatically at the start of a new chapter.

The game's narrative is eccentric and silly, with some dark humor thrown into the mix. The writing makes it worth reading through. The minimal soundtrack, mainly emphasizing it's different battle themes, is decent enough and gets the job done. I ended up liking most of it. It's a visually decent game too, though nothing really special. I just get the feeling that for every interesting thing the game does, there's something that drags it down and zaps the uniqueness away from it.

It's still charming enough to recommend playing it if you pick it up for a cheap price, or get it through a bundle. Just don't expect something really great or anything like that.

Copons

A: Our intention with Fable Anniversary was to re-capture the game that so many fell in love with and bring it up to date for a modern generation of console gamers. We think the story, quests and gameplay of the original game are what lead to it becoming a critically acclaimed title in 2004, and we've got no intention of changing or adding to that with Anniversary.

WHAT?
Is it just me who remembers the first Fable
(and any sequels too)
as a massive critics failure thanks to the fact that it didn't deliver any single one of the huge amount of stuff Molyneux promised, to the point that it basically made him, one of the most beloved designers ever, into a bold faced liar?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
WHAT?
Is it just me who remembers the first Fable
(and any sequels too)
as a massive critics failure thanks to the fact that it didn't deliver any single one of the huge amount of stuff Molyneux promised, to the point that it basically made him, one of the most beloved designers ever, into a bold faced liar?

Never forget the promise of trees growing as time passed.

kudoboi

Yep:

Edit: I still need to finish my playthrough of the original that I abandoned about a month-and-a-half ago despite being only an hour or two from the end. I'm hopeless.

Is it on a new engine aka remastered? I have the original fable but have not played it and I'm willing to the rebuy again if there is massive upgrades on the graphics side

Dr Dogg

With the lastest GeForce driver (340.65) Watch_Dogs now runs very smooth with everything turned up (textures only high) on my modest 2500K/GTX660, despite how bad the launch was I have to give everyone credit that they didn't drop and forget the game. Now how about releasing Far Cry 4 immediately like this?

Just took these for a spin and although I still get a tiny bit better performance from a single GPU with the older 337.88 drivers SLI is much better with these, almost to the point of leaving it enabled. Don't gain anything whilst driving (or running at full sprint it seems) but slowly moving or staying within the same area I get better utilisation. Maybe a patch or two more from the development team might finally get Watch_Dogs to get the most out of my hardware but hopefully this has been a learning experience for all involved (customer, developer, publisher and GPU vendors).

Oh also the Physx drivers are still the older 9.13.something something ones and not the more recent 9.14.710 set.

nice street fighter avatar Jasec

Coincidence?
ZCzzdSA.png
After I made this many moons ago before the clones appeared. It can't be!

Guys, guys, wish me luck.
Getting +1 to my family account in 5 hours or so.

Congrats and good luck.

Well they kind of did for 2. Well depending if you made one choice or another a couple of areas either prospered or got knackered latter on in the game.

Molyneux button mashing comments still make me laugh to this day, especially after he declared that Fable will use 1 button.

Edit: For everyone's entertainment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UFer-nS844

Copons

Shiet that was the biggest, most laughable and I guess the best-established one in our collective memory
(and to think Harvest Moon delivered it years before! :D )
, but I remember the giant disappointment when I realized the so-promised open world consisted in fact in some motherfucking corridors. I mean, come on. COME ON.
And the ethical choices... yeah like I'm gonna be the next Sauron farting against villagers.

But yeah, if Lionhead says it has been a great success, I mean, it's not like they're gonna lie about it. :p

Teppic

different guns do different damage

some people are also wearing body armor

also headshots
Does this mean that people can have better guns than others? Because I can't find the guns other people are using, like the AK-47. Unless I use a sniper rifle I can't seem to get one shot kills that others do to me without using sniper rifles.

Copons

Fable 1 was alright. Fable 2 was meh. Fable 3 is complete utter shit.

Fact is, the Fable series is not bad per se. I don't remember which one was the last one I played (I think the 2nd?), but I actually enjoyed it.
It's just that Molyneux promised so much and delivered so NOTHING that inevitably the disappointment overrode the actual games' qualities.
If they had presented Fable saying like it's an ok hack'n'slash, you can be a realtor and become shitty rich, you can fart against people and become the worst guy ever or you can resist farting and become the best guy ever, I mean, I probably would have bought it day one.

Chariot

Yep:

urgh. Ok. I love Fable, bu I don't love it that much.

Is it on a new engine aka remastered? I have the original fable but have not played it and I'm willing to the rebuy again if there is massive upgrades on the graphics side
Lionhead blogpost regarding the graphical changes.

aku:jiki

Does this mean that people can have better guns than others? Because I can't find the guns other people are using, like the AK-47. Unless I use a sniper rifle I can't seem to get one shot kills that others do to me without using sniper rifles.
What you're experiencing is just lag, man. They don't have special assault rifles that instakill.

yatesl

I'm sure you guys already know, but you can use Isthereanydeal to import your wishlist, and notify you when they go cheaper. You can set maximums too, so you're not being told when it's dropped from £50 to £49.99

I can't find a way to make it search foreign stores (RUS/CIS etc.), but it's handy. There's also an option to get an e-mail whenever there's a bundle on, which let's me cut down on the 20 e-mails a week I get from Humble/Indie/Bundlestars etc

This is how I remembered Steam.

I remember the first time they introduced a non-Valve game to Steam. I was like, "What the ****? Steam's been ruined!"

Also, don't underestimate the power of "because they can".

The last time it was 75% off the game was still struggling to gain traction over TF2 and even consistently fell below the player counts of other games like Skyrim and Civ 5. Now it's the 2nd most popular game on Steam besides DOTA2. They really have no reason to discount it below 50% - it's already at the top of the top sellers list.

http://steamcharts.com/app/730#1y

It only recently "dropped down" to 50% during the Summer Sale. It was 75% before that and since Xmas was going strong.

What exactly happened to explode? There was a disparity between 1.6 and source players before all of them going to CS:GO?

And Brazilians being able to use their currency on Steam probably helped.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/25/v...-became-the-second-most-played-game-on-steam/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304240/

At first I thought that more effort went into it... but after reading the description I realized that it's going to be a "zoomed in" 4:3... they specifically state that "In widescreen mode, the screen will scroll. The parts of the screen that get cut off on the top and bottom will scroll into view automatically depending on the character's position."

So basically they re-rendered the background pictures at 1920*1440...

With the lastest GeForce driver (340.65) Watch_Dogs now runs very smooth with everything turned up (textures only high) on my modest 2500K/GTX660, despite how bad the launch was I have to give everyone credit that they didn't drop and forget the game. Now how about releasing Far Cry 4 immediately like this?

It's still seemingly impossible to hold 60 FPS at max settings and good AA, although the final version of the worse mod with the maldo texture fix did finally make the stuttering less terrible.

Have a 780Ti and a 3570K. Maybe if I overclock the CPU I'll get over the hurdle as around 47 while in some of the busier city scenes seems to be the cutting off point.

Dr Dogg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304240/

At first I thought that more effort went into it... but after reading the description I realized that it's going to be a "zoomed in" 4:3... they specifically state that "In widescreen mode, the screen will scroll. The parts of the screen that get cut off on the top and bottom will scroll into view automatically depending on the character's position."

So basically they re-rendered the background pictures at 1920*1440...

There's a bit more detail on the official teaser/preview site (specifically the Widescreen Support tab about midway down)

http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/en/index.html

It's kind of like a reverse Pan and Scan with older 4:3 cropped video shifting horizontally to maintain focus on the important elements in frame this will move in a vertical direction to achieve the same effect. The idea sounds good in practice as it's a lot easier to implement than rerendering every background to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio (and I'm guessing from past releases like Umbrella Chronicles HD the original assets went missing a long time ago) but I'm curious to how this will work with pretty much every camera movement introduced to a lot if not every scene now (and at a lower framerate this isn't going to be the most smooth transition either). I guess it all boils down to a question of cost to produce versus projected return on investment.

It's still seemingly impossible to hold 60 FPS at max settings and good AA, although the final version of the worse mod with the maldo texture fix did finally make the stuttering less terrible.

Have a 780Ti and a 3570K. Maybe if I overclock the CPU I'll get over the hurdle as around 47 while in some of the busier city scenes seems to be the cutting off point.

Well on a single 780 at 2560x1440 and using Temp SMAA with these drivers I get in and around 45fps on foot and 40fps whilst driving but only 70-80% utilization so there's still something holding the engine back, even droping down to 1920x1080 doesn't yield much more than a frame or two and that's a third less pixels to push than 2560x1440. Ultra textures are still a no go with these drivers but I had good success with the older WHQL 337.88 drivers and got a very good update even with ultra textures. The thing with these though is that SLI is a lot smoother and doesn't jolt as much during asset exchange so while only using in and around 70% of each card (sometimes with one downclocking due to not being used properly) 60fps is possible when walking. It's when moving through the world too quickly that the engine just can't get things swaped out fast enough that it starts to grind down.

Will probably finish Watch Dogs once I get the Rog Swift. It's just nauseating to be running at a steady 60 only to turn a corner and drop to 40 and then back and then drop to 55 for a few seconds for no reason.

Blargh!

Dr Dogg

Will probably finish Watch Dogs once I get the Rog Swift. It's just nauseating to be running at a steady 60 only to turn a corner and drop to 40 and then back and then drop to 55 for a few seconds for no reason.

Blargh!

Your card has more grunt than mine (well my clocks are set to 1097mhz base with boost going to the 1200 region) so I'd have thought you'd have got better performance but there are people with heavily overclocked Titan Blacks struggling to get a consistent framerate. Hopefully if the dev and support teams haven't been downsized to a bunch of interns by now that maybe a patch or two more and some of the remaining kinks will be ironed out. Right now Watch_Dogs gives me about the same performance GTA IV does and that game took two hardware changes for me to become playable so Watch_Dogs is kind of on the road to redemption. Might be a bit late for some people but at least it gives me reason to try and 100% it.

Kiru

People say they lost all those F2P games from the script. My game count is still fine, maybe I'll have to wait ?

Anteater

i can't tell for sure if that game is anything other than panties, it seems like it is but at the same time i heard it's so light in content so i'm guessing panty fandom is pretty important to compensate for that and appreciate this game

It's light in content as in there's really just an hour and a half worth of content, you have 5 chapters and each chapter has 5 waves of enemies and a boss, so it's still plenty enough for its price and the kind of game it is, the game has multiple difficulties and it's one of those games that are better the more you explore your combat options, like using counter would do a lot more damage than doing combos over and over like I did. I find the combat pretty satisfying and more fun than musou.

I think the enemy encounters could use a little work but it's by far better than something like Fairy Bloom Freesia which has nothing but a bunch of annoying slime poop enemies, there aren't a lot of panties given you'd be killing stuff a lot and there are barely any cutscenes. I would say some bosses are quite fun.

Coincidence?

After I made this many moons ago before the clones appeared. It can't be!

It's a sign! I hope they cast ronan for the second street fighter live action series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom