• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Looks like Amazon is having a little end of summer sale on some digital games for the next couple days. Some good deals here n there but nothing special. Here is the link.

Arthea

Yes, as long as you're not in:
General Motors doesn't own Wheelman, it owns two of the cars featured in it.

Then I don't see how they have any say in where Wheelman is rereleased.

can't they just remove the cars or swap them with generic cars?

ya, that was my point, what's the difference? Just remove any sings and that's it.

p.s. I also have old general motors t-shirt somewhere, I'll consider it "gaming t-shirt" from now on (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Then I don't see how they have any say in where Wheelman is rereleased.

Because the cars were licensed for use for a set period of time, as is virtually always the case (this is why, for example, Blur disappeared in January 2013 -- because Acti dumped the vehicle licenses). It's incredibly archaic -- a license expiration, in my view, should only preclude the creation of new content or the introduction of old content into a new product, not the continued distribution of that which was released while the contract was valid -- but such is the world we live in.

JaseC

Flower Shop is no longer on sale despite the fact it was a Weekly. Glad I bought it yesterday.

Edit: Oh wait, there's Summer in Fairbrook and Winter in Fairbrook. The former is the one on sale.

Arthea

Flower Shop is no longer on sale despite the fact it was a Weekly. Glad I bought it yesterday.

Edit: Oh wait, there's Summer in Fairbrook and Winter in Fairbrook. The former is the one on sale.

we need another Winter Wolves bundle with 4 games I still haven't bought: both Fairbrook games, Nicole and Heileen 2. Do it wolves!

Ozium

congrats to bel air Jeff for a succesful stalking

Why are there so many floppy dongs?

jiggle bones? *teehee

I made fun of this game prior to its release and the crow is delicious because the game is pretty fun... online works pretty well too, though could use more options.

Evrain

Looks like Amazon is having a little end of summer sale on some digital games for the next couple days. Some good deals here n there but nothing special. Here is the link.
Well, Five Nights at Freddy's is there for $4, although I assume it's not a Steam key.
Would dig, but since the demo's main menu alone scares the lights out of me it would be a free ticket to infarction.

Aww shit another Prey giveaway!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Atraveller, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Crusader Kings II -- MB-3F725442080CB65D - Taken by Sharkiller. 6 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II - Russian Unit Pack -- MB-F1567F72C653015A
t1cxE6r.gif
Prey -- MB-2F89A48C7B17593F - Taken by Sub Zero. 86 entrants total.
Crusader Kings II - African Unit Pack -- MB-98B7C488CF068E2C - Taken by Evrain. 1 entrants total.

t1409301022z1.png

Ozium

What are those crusader king 2 DLCs that were in the humble? Unit Packs?

Are they just models? I don't understand.. are they relevant like the expansions are? I'll probably start with vanilla first to see if it I like it.. just curious.

saunderez

I made fun of this game prior to its release and the crow is delicious because the game is pretty fun... online works pretty well too, though could use more options.
Yeah its an absolute pisser online with some friends. Especially when everyone has had a few drinks.

Chariot

Are they just models? I don't understand.. are they relevant like the expansions are? I'll probably start with vanilla first to see if it I like it.. just curious.
Yes. You won't miss anything outside the actual content DLCs like Rajahs of India. This game has a shitton of useless fluff dlcs like portraits and flags.

milena87

Are there any interesting offers for Civ Beyond Earth or Alien Isolation?

I have around 21€ on GMG to spend, but the base price for both games is 50€...

Arthea

Are there any interesting offers for Civ Beyond Earth or Alien Isolation?

I have around 21&#8364; on GMG to spend, but the base price for both games is 50&#8364;...

gmg occasionally sends vouchers for preoders (to your e-mail), a few times these were 30% discounts, I can't now remember was Civ BE in such an offer, though, need to check, but I'm pretty sure it was offered for AI, then again I need to check.

edited: just checked Civ BE and AI had 25% discount. Unfortunately none of vouchers work with credit lately.

aku:jiki

Man, I like Van Helsing but the UI and info is so janky. I think I'm almost done, like 9 hours in and I feel like this second half of Borgova is the endgame, and I just noticed that apparently there's such a thing as "glory points" and that I have earned 0 of them and have no idea what they are. I still have no idea what the blood bar percentage meter on the side of your skill screen means. I really don't know exactly what "rage" does or when and how to use it, nor do I know why I can't unequip it from one of my quick slots as I'd rather have spells I know and use in that slot.

Fun game but damn do they ever need a UI designer. Is this any better in VH2?

Ozium

Yes. You won't miss anything outside the actual content DLCs like Rajahs of India. This game has a shitton of useless fluff dlcs like portraits and flags.

those seem useless considering the game has workshop support... but I bet it's going to be a case where if I end up wanting the DLC the bundle is cheaper than the expansions alone

Copons

Guys I know it's off topic but still: anyone of you bought and tried the Sega mobile bundle?

I'd buy it but I would like to know how some of those games work on a mobile device.
Mostly I'm interested in Virtua Tennis, Monkey Ball and Crazy Taxi (also FFS this would likely be the 10th different device I'll buy Crazy Taxi on :D ).

abracadaver

manhunt 2 is on sale at amazon.com for $3.75

I know its not a steam game. how do you get the game after buying it? Do you have to install any additional software or is it just the game without any DRM?

Arthea

those seem useless considering the game has workshop support... but I bet it's going to be a case where if I end up wanting the DLC the bundle is cheaper than the expansions alone

That's not the case with Crusaders Kings 2, actually, collection is bloody expensive and never is discounted enough to bite.

edited: not that separate dlcs are ever discounted enough or cheap.

Indignate

Fine, I'll buy Alpha Protocol for $3.

It's kinda hard to get the Playfire rewards for Metro Redux when the game or achievements don't show up on my profile, hopefully they get it fixed soon.

EDIT: Speaking of Redux, Amazon has LL Redux for $6.24.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KN7B41E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What is 2033 Redux not on sale?

This is slightly upsetting but not really cuz I wouldn't play it anytime soon anyways.

Fine, I'll buy Alpha Protocol for $3.

What is 2033 Redux not on sale?

This is slightly upsetting but not really cuz I wouldn't play it anytime soon anyways.

It's not, and the bundle of the two is still full price, almost looks like a price mistake but who knows.

EDIT: Getting a 404 on the page now so it probably was a mistake.

milena87

gmg occasionally sends vouchers for preoders (to your e-mail), a few times these were 30% discounts, I can't now remember was Civ BE in such an offer, though, need to check, but I'm pretty sure it was offered for AI, then again I need to check.

edited: just checked Civ BE and AI had 25% discount. Unfortunately none of vouchers work with credit lately.

Thanks! I think I saw some 25% vouchers, but passed because I could pay less with my store credit.

Oh well, I'll keep checking around :)

Knurek

Anyone can explain to me why the hell people doing benchmarks for ghetto/budget GPUs (750 Ti, R7 265, etc), always do so with a i7 rig? And usually run tests @1080p MSAAx4 Ultra preset or some such.

That just doesn't make an iota of sense - when you buy a <$150 GPU, you don't pair it up with top of the line CPU, you go for i3 or Pentium. And you sure as hell don't play in 1080p with highest possible IQ.

Benchmarks like these (which, sadly, is all of them), are totally worthless to a potential buyer.

hitoshi

Clearing house

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (hitoshi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Stacking -- MB-F808FD4120518E2C - Taken by ReduxMachine. 1 entrants total.
140 -- MB-97A610D12509EB24 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-F6F95AEEF8E5CC52 - Taken by fokkusu. 1 entrants total.

t1409227942z1.png

Chariot

Yes, pretty much.
Also keep in mind that if you play multiplayer and the players can access every DLC the host has.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Guys I know it's off topic but still: anyone of you bought and tried the Sega mobile bundle?

I'd buy it but I would like to know how some of those games work on a mobile device.
Mostly I'm interested in Virtua Tennis, Monkey Ball and Crazy Taxi (also FFS this would likely be the 10th different device I'll buy Crazy Taxi on :D ).

Crazy Taxi is very much a spot on port of the Dreamcast game where the only deciding factor for you will really be the controls. Offers a few options; Tilt which is rather rubbish and will force you to struggle with the controls more than you would anything in the game, Android support for blue-tooth or HID USB gamepad, or the default and quite serviceable left/right/Drive/Reverse touch screen buttons.
I only went with the touch screen controls and other than getting used to double tapping left or right to start a drift, as well as boost being hitting Drive twice, I quickly got back into the swing of the game and found myself getting S class license scores and doing almost as well as I was on Dreamcast. I couldn't quite go between vehicles nearly as well as I would with a controller as I do lack some finesse only left or right virtual buttons, but nothing to prevent me from having fun or doing well.

It's still my favourite racing game and despite not liking other racing games on mobile, this I can have fun playing.

ChuChu Rocket is exactly what it is, and works just fine for mobile. Better served for a tablet, but a good fun puzzle game where touch screen control I feel is preferred over a controller.

I'm personally not a fan of Super Monkey Ball 2 for it's tilt controls. They work to be sure, usually the slower you are moving the better, and a little sensor bar being shown goes a long way to keeping you as you should be, but so much can be lost simply because you have to tilt and lose vision or screw up because you forgot what neutral position was. Depends on how much you feel you will really move around and can keep focused on a moving screen I believe.

Krystof Koreni

Neo Member
Couple of classic Humble Bundle spares! Good luck, and thanks for all the fish, GAF.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Krystof Koreni, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-CB60199CF1797B8D - Taken by Rnr1224. 2 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-A571B8ADB92060DB - Taken by Bakemono64. 1 entrants total.

t1409304862z1.png

Anyone can explain to me why the hell people doing benchmarks for ghetto/budget GPUs (750 Ti, R7 265, etc), always do so with a i7 rig? And usually run tests @1080p MSAAx4 Ultra preset or some such.

That just doesn't make an iota of sense - when you buy a <$150 GPU, you don't pair it up with top of the line CPU, you go for i3 or Pentium. And you sure as hell don't play in 1080p with highest possible IQ.

Benchmarks like these (which, sadly, is all of them), are totally worthless to a potential buyer.

The idea behind using top tier components is that they shouldn't bottleneck the ones actually being benchmarked. Similiarly, using highest settings provides a baseline for all the cards and gives the best one the most room to shine. I can see your point about how they aren't very useful to average folks like us though.

I think hardocp had a thing where they would also recommend what they thought were playable settings for each piece of hardware they benchmarked, but I'm not sure if they still do it now.

Well im at the second episode of TWD Game Season 2.

And so far i got the hardest decision in my fucking lifetime

Spoilers for S2E2:
Sit besides Luke or Kenny

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
k did my trip down memory lane and came up with 18 games lol

how the hell does anyone get 52
Stretching it quite a lot, I only beat about 24 games or so. And that's counting stuff like Gone Home, To the Moon and MGS3 (which I started last year).

52 is insane.

hmmm...the game that started my motion sickness issues while gaming...will never forget it :(
lol, in my case it's the game that introduced me to screen tearing, and taught me the importance of vsync. Great game nevertheless.

milena87

Well im at the second episode of TWD Game Season 2.

And so far i got the hardest decision in my fucking lifetime

Spoilers for S2E2:
Sit besides Luke or Kenny

I chose Kenny. They needed to talk about what happened in the last few years. Also, Kenny was my Lee's best pal in season 1, so my Clem of course trusts him.

Ozium

I wonder how World of Diving is and how it compares to Aquanaut's Holiday...

and why aren't there photography games like Afrika on Steam?

Arthea

Stretching it quite a lot, I only beat about 24 games or so. And that's counting stuff like Gone Home, To the Moon and MGS3 (which I started last year).

52 is insane.

It's actually pretty simple, when you think about it. For example, I've played 2 ~100 hour long games this year alone and several ~50 hours, and I do "relax after work or a hard day" thing, where I play endless games for couple of hours or so. Now imagine if instead of spending 200 hours on two games, I played 10 hour long games, that's 20 games right here, and I finished ~20 games this year already, that makes 40, now if I was to do the same with ~50 hours games, I would easily be at ~50 games. It's just not my way (><)
52 short games is doable, if you include MMOs and other endless games, and some long games, that's it, not possible.

edited: forgot to mention that 52 would be too much for me, most likely, I do get tired of gaming and make breaks even with much less intensive gaming schedule.

Visual DLC. Models, portraits and stuff. Fluff. Most of the game play updates are in the expansion DLCs and in the free patch of every major expansion.

I chose Kenny. They needed to talk about what happened in the last few years. Also, Kenny was my Lee's best pal in season 1, so my Clem of course trusts him.
TWD Game Season 2 Episode 2 Spoilers :
I chose Luke. I mean Kenny did some shit back in S1. But i nearly cried when i saw him. Those feels... I also had Nick shot Mathew and my insticts were right that the guy on the bridge is a friend of them so i thought we would get seperated eventually so i didnt want get too attached to kenny. I just gonna start episode 3 now.

JaseC

I wonder how World of Diving is and how it compares to Aquanaut's Holiday...

and why aren't there photography games like Afrika on Steam?

Your question reminded me that I still haven't bought Dive to the Titantic over the past two-and-a-bit years. It's less than $13 in Russia and always half off during sales, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom