• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

Cartman86

Banned
As it stands now if they fixed the load times and disconnect issues (#13) then I would be able to settle, but there are issues that should be fixed. For someone who's not hardcore I could see them not playing because of these problems. And honestly Socom 1 and 2 had just as many of these small tweaking problems.

1. You should be able to follow your friends and clan members to a game wherever you are. In-game, in a menu etc. This is very tough since Sony doesn't provide it's own solution. If I can't do this I should at least see where they are without them having to set a comment to something new every 10 minutes.

2. Weapon wheel feels a little weird. And quick selecting weapons should be where you hit L1 on both the weapons you want for quick select on that wheel and those are your weapons. Also if you select 2 grenades they should not be seperate slots. You should carry 4 not 2 and 2.

3. When you are near a waste high rail you should be able to shoot down at an enemy that can shoot up at you. Within reason.

4. If you want to climb over a wall you should be able to jump and press the action button to get over faster (like previous games)

5. The scope on the sniper should settle after a second like the rest of the scopes

6. Crosshairs on scopes and just general accuracy when zooming could use a little work. I'll either be godlike or suck ass

7. You should be able to set your controls so that you can use the left and right d-pad buttons to peek out from corners instead of using the motion sensor since some people hate that (doesn't bother me), and some people use the left stick to run (like COD4) but it also doubles as knifing. Fix this?

8. Scoreboard should also show your current amount of points. Not just kills in that round. Scoreboard shouldn't freeze player either. You should be able to hold select and bring up a transparent scoreboard. When you release it it should go away. If not that then if you want to back out of it you should able to press Select not O. Pressing O right now actually changes your fire rate as well.

9. Taunting when you press L2 is annoying because you accidently do it quite often. Anything that freezes the player is annoying. I would rather have them gone than in the way. We can talk over bodies anyways.

10. Spectating camera should have option to invert & non invert. Drives me crazy.

11. Some people have issues with the recoil and reload time not being like Socom 1 & 2 I guess. I find it not to be a problem since I burst fire. I suppose they could look into this though.

12. Player weapons and load out options should be able to be changed in game. Not by pressing R2, but by pausing the game and changing it and saving the options. As is you can only do it in the main menu. This is a very small issue that has been in every Socom. If you can't change it then you should be able to select from the custom loadouts you made.

13. Obviously the load times, menu lag, stats & clan features not working etc. The loading is a lot better after patch. Havn't been disconnected in over 2 hours.

14. Night vision forces you into over the shoulder view. Eeewww

15. Let me dive into prone.

tuco11

WTF!! Can't even downlaod the patch now. Got to like 78% and froze. Tried 4 more times and it just stops midway and eventually signs me out. Worst disaster of a beta ever. :lol I have zero confidence in Slant Six on launch day if they are this crippled for a simple beta.

zedge

BeeDog said:
The patch didn't do anything for me so far other than erase my profiles. :lol ffs

Still have laggy menus, still have extremely long load times, and I can't get into a game (two-three times I've gotten stuck on a Round Finished screen).

Same here, not bothering to play anymore until its actually fixed.. its too frustrating.

GQman2121

Banned
dralla said:
does anyone know if these are all the weapons? I noticed some are missing, like the IW-80

They should be there when the game comes out. There's actually a lot of weapons missing from this beta. The SR-25 and the M82 are the main guns that stick out for me personally.

And I would be shocked if they didn't release more weapons with DLC at some point.

____

Posted?

Hi, Folks-

To those who did not get your Beta code email, I want to apologize. We have been looking into the problem all day to try to figure out what was going on. I won't go into the gory details, but we discovered that there was a technical problem that prevented some of the emails from going out. The people responsible are working on the problem now and have told me that they will reblast those emails by 5:00 PDT tomorrow afternoon. I'm sorry, but it will take them that long to get it all sorted out, set up and arranged.

I am so sorry that you missed the first couple of days of Beta but technical issues sometimes happen. All we can do is try to correct the problem and that's what we are doing. If you were affected by this glitch, it should be resolved for you by tomorrow evening.

If you are getting your Beta download for subscribing to QORE, that will not be available until this Friday. We'll have more details on that soon.

Once again, I apologize for this problem.

Which should be today (9/10/08)

Doc Evils

Does anyone else find the camera very irritating? My mans head keeps blocking the screen and I can't see shit. I'll be honest say this game needs a overhaul on the controls and camera, since they feel like they are still stuck in the PS2 era.

xero273

Doc Evils said:
Does anyone else find the camera very irritating? My mans head keeps blocking the screen and I can't see shit. I'll be honest say this game needs a overhaul on the controls and camera, since they feel like they are still stuck in the PS2 era.

Which camera are you using? OTS or classic?

JB1981

I use the over-the-shoulder view (as close up as possible) .... i like it best. Not the best camera angle if you're a pray'n spray type of player, but it's good for keeping your eyes peeled.

GQman2121

Banned
Problems with the camera happen when you're in a confined area.

I dare anyone go into the bell tower and try to focus on the doorway from the top of the staircase. The camera moves in so close that you can't see shit except the back of your characters head.

I understand why it happens, but they still should have tried to find a work around.

zedge said:
Same here, not bothering to play anymore until its actually fixed.. its too frustrating.

I think ill be waiting as well to play again. I have had so many issues. unplayable framerate, loss of audio, not loading into the game fully (still in spectator while my character is in game) laggy as shit, horrific menus.

PowderedToast

Ok so yesterday was fine for me but today I was pretty unlucky. I tried about 5 times before I got a game, then about a minute in it froze while the sound continued. Or another time the sound stopped and the game dropped to about 15 frames until I quit. I understand this is a beta and when games load they load faster than they used to, but the problem is I can never access the XMB when something goes wrong. I'm very excited for when they fix these issues, but for now I'm gonna leave it alone. At least until another patch is released.

I hate to be the one who'll say this but "Don't fix what ain't broke!". This game is not SOCOM. This game is Confrontation, a third-person shooter that includes elements from MGO, COD4, Warhawk and SOCOM. I like the enthusiasm behind the dev team and i like the fact that they tried not to live under the shadow of previous SOCOM titles and devs.

That said, I'll start off with the menu presentation The menu is not so friendly. They should have kept the menu and the features simple. There are reasons why people prefer games like Halo and COD4 and Warhawk: They are user-friendly and simple. I don't want US EAST 1 and US EAST 2 and US EAST 3 all over again for it tends to isolate players and prevents them from joining a game with friends or foes. MGO has the same "Lobby" problem but they fixed it by increasing the lobby cap from 256 to 900-ish. Seriously, this isn't SOCOM II. It's now a 32 player title and 256 players in a lobby is not enough! Warhawk does it right by having one large lobby with support of over 1000+ matches.

The character customization is also a bit unnecessary. It's a feature that could be simplified with 4 or 5 sets of characters, performed well in previous SOCOM titles.

I don't know if people are excited about MGO/COD4 style weapon customization but I'm not. Well, i am but I'm not. Its a love-hate relationship. Confrontation cannot live without weapon customization but SOCOM could. If they really are approaching realism by adding these customization then i can't be baffled at the fact that Terrorists have weapon customization. They don't care about it. All they need is something to shoot with. The scopes are pretty much useless even with the added grip. Scopes should improve shooting, yet this game does the exact opposite. I've got more kills from run n' gun that i have from scopes (Zero kills from scopes to be exact. Have tried 'em all). Keep it simple, keep it fun and keep it more accessible.

Controls are a complete different story. I have yet to play around with all the controls but from what I've tested, it's a hassle trying to deal with any other function than shooting and jumping. People said that MGO controls are tacky (tackiest to be correct) but i disagree. This game tops MGO for the most tackiest controls. The default controls made my left thumb cry for it couldn't keep up with the zoom on the d-pad and the movement. As i said, the scopes are useless so i don't think I'll need to deal with the zoom anymore.

When i press Select, I expects the game to continue the way it is while i read the score. I hate it when games force you to stop and read. The COD4-ish Knife tab is also unncessary in this game. Don't try to satisfy too many people, Slant 6. You try to satisfy them all and you'll lose the core fans. Confrontation did not bring back the REAL, instead it tried to stay "hip" with the current games and tried to satisfy the original players and it fell in a ditch halfway through.

The music in this game is GREAT. I love the music so props to the devs on that. It's just that you do not try to use every asset and piece of music that you created by convincing yourself that music during the game would be great. Once again, SOCOM never had music during the game. People did all the talking and bullets were the only tune you'd ever hear. Just because MGO or Warhawk has it doesn't mean confrontation also need it.

Going back to the menu, the flashy interface is one of the reason why everything is so freaking slow. I'm sure the devs are working on fixing it as they promised for it's one reason why we have this beta. Also, when i plan to respawn, i expect a respawn... I do not expect a 5 second of darkness while the character roams. Spawn campers have always been a problem with Online gaming and that 5 second of darkness would not help it in any way possible. Instead, it'll give 'em an opportunity to shoot a headless chicken. From what I've seen, the spawn points are smarter than the other games but it'll all change once the leechers know the maps inside out.

Am i complaining too much. You damn right, I am. I loved the SOCOM franchise and everything after II left a bad taste in my mouth. Confrontation had the potential to bring back the REAL and so far it hasn't. I'll let my bro test out the game and give me a feedback for he is the biggest SOCOM fan out there (he still plays SOCOM II daily so that says alot). Either he will hate it to death or love it to the extend that we buy another PS3 for his personal pleasure and sexy time with the game.

I know most of the issues will not be fixed for their are the main features of the game but I hope it grows on me by the time this beta is over. I won't complain about the glitches (my personal favorite is teleportation and 50 feet super jumps) cause they are bound to be fixed.

Or maybe I'm complaining because i plain suck at Confrontation and was expecting a SOCOM II-like experience?

Poolman

Banned
Is Confrontation full price?
As a old school SOCOM fan, even as someone who could tolerate Socom 3 I really want to like this game. It's too soon to tell if the gameplay will hold up, but as far as presentation and features goes I've been disappointed. Starting to loose my pride as a "SOCOM player".

zedge

WTF... :lol

Ok this game is worse since the update... at least before despite the stupendous loading times I could still get into a game and play.

Now every time, the sound drops out, the framerate goes to about 10fps.. if its not that then the game freezes and I have to hard boot the PS3.. Jesus..

I give up.

dralla

I don't get any of those problems, only long load times. Are you sticking to the "right" lobbies? Meaning going into East servers if you're on the East Coast, ect.

zedge

I try to stick to the west coast or Canada west rooms. Although even before the update I could play on the east servers fairly easily.. Its dissapointing, I really like the SOCOM games. I know its just a beta and I realize they will likely fix the issues. I will just wait and see I guess.

zedge said:

Ok this game is worse since the update... at least before despite the stupendous loading times I could still get into a game and play.

Now every time, the sound drops out, the framerate goes to about 10fps.. if its not that then the game freezes and I have to hard boot the PS3.. Jesus..

I give up.

qft

PuMa

shagg_187 said:
lots of stuff

I disagree with almost everything in here. Yes there are some obvious flaws *betabetabeta*, but I feel that so far S6 has managed to capture the old SOCOM feel at heart.

xero273

Thank you all for participating in the SOCOM Confrontation Public Beta. We know that it has not gone as smoothly as we would all like, but I want to assure you that we are working on the issues. Please remember, the main purpose of the Public Beta was to identify just these types of issues before the game is launched.

We are working on and testing another patch right now. For this patch, the focus is to resolve the following issues:

Abnormally long network synchronization issues when some users in a game have a poor network connection. This issue causes 4-7 minute (or longer) load times when late joining a game.
An issue where respawn game late joiners were sometimes stuck in spectator mode and could not respawn into the game.
Remove the latency detection network test which is causing some users with poor network connections to receive the network latency icon (red X).

We will announce when the new patch will be released once we've verified the fixes and it has passed our QA.

Regards,

SOCOM Confrontation Online Team

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/09/SOCOM-Confrontation-Public-Beta-Update.aspx

Also, info for qore users.

Hey all! I just got this in my mailbox from the Qore gang. They've got some great info for the Qore subscribers who are ready and starving to get into the SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation public beta.

Greetings all Qore Episode 1 and Annual Customers,

We have some great news for you - the SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation public beta is scheduled to be available tomorrow afternoon (think 5:00 PM PST) to all that purchased Episode 01 of Qore and that became Qore Annual Subscribers as of Episode 01. Please note that you will not be able to download the SOCOM: Confrontation beta through the Episode 01 Download Center – you can only gain access by using the SOCOM: Confrontation Beta Promotion Code that is being emailed to you tomorrow.

Once you receive the email containing your Promotion Code:

Go to the PLAYSTATION®Network Icon on the PLAYSTATION®3 XMB™ (XrossMediaBar)
Select “Account Management”
Select “Transaction Management”
Choose “Redeem PLAYSTATION®Network Card or Promotion Code”
Enter the code (below)
Click “Continue”
The download will be available on the next screen

Sound good? Keep an eye on your mailboxes.

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/09/Qore-Audience.aspx

mr stroke

zedge said:

I give up.

sound dropping out is pretty hit and miss(lots of people on Socom boards are getting it though) so don't feel bad as its happening to me almost every other game now.

GQman2121

Banned
sykoex said:
The comments are being BRUTAL on Confrontation. Don't these people know the definition of a beta?

A lot of people do understand that this is a beta and that the loading issues are not going to be present in the final game, but many people are bitching about the actual gameplay problems, which while totally subjective, are present.

There’s a pretty large list of gameplay issues that they have to clean up before this game go’s gold IMO. And the sad part is they’re all small little problems that anyone who plays the game can immediately point out. More in-house play testing needs to be done because many of the complaints are valid in the scope of what they’re trying to do.

It should also be pointed out that not once has anyone from the development side commented on what people currently in the beta are upset about. This new patch makes no mention of addressing any of the choices they’ve made so far with this build of the game; all would be right if they would just say something as simple as “we’re currently looking into the issues (besides the load times) testers have found in the beta”.{/I]

Afrikan

hmm...well is almost 6pm....where the hell is my email SlantSix.... did any other qore users get their email...

edit- YES just got it....

kevm3

Sony is really starting to anger me. I paid 3 dollars or whatever it was for Qore and I still can't get the beta. I guess it's delayed just like everything else Sony has done this generation. I've put up with Sony's utter incompetence this generation. I'm tired of it. 360 just had a price drop. I might see what Microsoft is doing.

dagZ

kevm3 said:
Sony is really starting to anger me. I paid 3 dollars or whatever it was for Qore and I still can't get the beta. I guess it's delayed just like everything else Sony has done this generation. I've put up with Sony's utter incompetence this generation. I'm tired of it. 360 just had a price drop. I might see what Microsoft is doing.

edit: okay. so Im not the only one.

Top Bottom