• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what's the fastest way to unlock characters? In Brawl it was 1 stock special with 1 HP stamina with flower. Do those options still exist?

6db49cf1f253d351994157e6b5a28b97o.gif

CPUs have intentionally insane reaction times. The higher the level they are, the quicker they are to react -- LV. 9s air dodge as soon as it's possible, they powershield, etc etc. CPUs aren't that great to play against because of that as a human can't hope to have those same reaction times.

That explains it. Mario was power-shielding and caping my Megaman like a champ.

Axass

Oh man, does that mean he really can pocket the Samus FS like that drawing I saw earlier? (Except he'll probably just shrugs and won't be able to throw it back.)

tumblr_mormf6UgEs1rh8teho1_500.jpg

BitF getting EVEN more prophetic. lol

The enemy variety in Smash Run is a lot less than I thought it would be as well, there's maybe 50 different enemies and some series don't even have any (No enemy units from FE, nothing warioware related, no game and watch stuff, no animal crossing, starfox or F-Zero stuff).

So in Smash Run we have Polar Bears and Sneaky Spirits, but no enemies from very famous series... hmmm... that HAS got to mean something. Especially the Sneaky Spirits, would make no sense to have them in particular, when he could've chosen between dozens of SF, WW and FE stuff.

Ah, on Zero's stream, heard Doctor Mario Fever plays on Pictochat 2.

Was wondering what stage they were going to toss that into. It's almost a tradition at this point that song appears. And with Doc as a character again and that song being a big reason he was a character in Melee, it would have been sad to not have it in the game.

CPUs have intentionally insane reaction times. The higher the level they are, the quicker they are to react -- LV. 9s air dodge as soon as it's possible, they powershield, etc etc. CPUs aren't that great to play against because of that as a human can't hope to have those same reaction times.

Wait, powershielding is back? I hadn't heard this. Does it work just like it does in Melee?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Okay, I'm testing the demo.

If you died 3 times without kill anyone. You will get pity final smash.

Also if you quit the game, and forced No Contest. You would able to see characters clapping their hands.

Goodstyle

I can't stand the waiting much longer...! Does anyone know about Wario's B custom moves? I heard a rumour that one of his b specials can actually be his shoulder charge.

JoeInky

Ness Customisations

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

Alright, it's Zelda's turn, I'm not exactly in love with her in this game, she seems nerfed compared to what I remember, but I've never been a Zelda main so she may actually be good, she has a couple of good customisations but it's some of the more generic stuff I've come across.

Neutral Special 1 (Nayru's Love)

n2Xcul9.jpg

Standard move that Zelda's always had, it does 11% damage if you hit someone with the entire move and the last hit has decent diagonal knockback, seems to have a max threshold on the knockback though, hitting at 0% will only knock them across the ground, 100% will knock them some what diagonally and 999% will do the same.

Neutral Special 2 (Nayru's Pulse)

Qev35Qh.jpg

The Crystal on this one doesn't last as long as the default one and it only does 7% and does very small knockback (which is a set value, the other player's damage doesn't affect how far they go), it also flips the other player similar to Mario's cape, except that it doesn't always just turn them around, it always makes them face away from you.

Neutral Special 3 (Nayru's Explosion)

LrPJrFh.jpg

Very similar to Ness' explosive PSI Magnet special, no crystal to reflect projectiles but it sucks people in and explodes dealing 15% damage and not too great knockback, but it's a good option if your opponent doesn't have a projectile.

Side Special 1 (Din's Fire)

w2SnPDa.jpg
SE3xNb9.jpg

Very similar to what it's normally like, moves a bit slow, has alright vertical control.

At the minimum charge, the explosion is at it's smallest and does 7% damage at the center of the explosion, 3% if you just clip them with it. At maximum charge the explosion is some what bigger and does 7% if it clips and 14% if you hit them with the center.

Knockback at minimum charge is pretty low, max charge has higher knocback but it's still not really a worthy payoff for connecting with the move.

Side Special 2 (Fast Din's Fire)

B7ngRTm.jpg
X3lzT4w.jpg

This version travels much faster and further but the tradeoff is that you have no vertical control over it, the range is enough that you'll practically be able to hit someone from anywhere other than maybe if you're both off stage.

The damage is spread evenly across the distance rather than increasing as it goes further, doing 7% clip damage/14% sweetspot damage wherever it hits, knockback also acts similarly, but seems to be higher than the default move.

Side Special 3 (Heavy Din's Fire)

lJIMV0J.jpg
DggldhT.jpg

The third customisation gives you much greater vertical control, you can send it straight to the top of the screen without moving much horizontally, it's impossible to direct the move behind you though, and it moves a bit slower than the default.

When you release the button, the flame locks into position and explodes about a second later, the explosion gets larger the further it's traveled, being about the same size as the default one when fully charged at minimum charge and almost twice the size at maximum charge.

Damage and knockback at minimum charge is the same as the default special (3%/7%), but at maximum charge it goes up to 18% when sweetspotted and 9% when it clips.

KO potential is similar to Fast Din's fire, but the extra mobility and blast radius makes it easier to aim and connect, even if you miss the sweetspot. Be warned that the endlag on the move is definitely longer, so there's no combo shenanigans you can do like knocking someone into the stationary flame, so you are quite a bit more vulnerable.

Up Special 1 (Farore's Wind)

N510LsH.jpg
xc5hUtY.jpg

The basic one we've had since Melee, press the button and then hold the stick to teleport a set distance in that direction, has 2 hit boxes, 1 on the initial twirl animation that does 6% damage and decent vertical knockback and a second hit box when you reappear that does 12% and good knockback, the move combo's into itsself around 40%+ and is a good kill move for Zelda, provided the other player DIs wrong.

You can teleport towards the ground to either stay in the same position or space yourself from the opponent like before, but the endlag stops you from doing much out of it, still a good mixup option now that the secondary hitbox has KO potential.

Up Special 2 (Farore's Vortex)

L85Rnz7.jpg
I7RVLMe.jpg
VQ76NfD.jpg

A move that forsakes damage for a greater distance traveled and a wind effect, the twirl hitbox pushes people away and the reappear hitbox knocks enemies vertically without doing any damage, an orb of light both telegraphs where you're going to be teleporting to and drags enemies with you.

I'm struggling to think of uses for this move, the improved recovery distance is ok, but her default recovery is already pretty damn good that the extra distance will only ever help in a few very specific situations, the endlag is still large enough that the second hitbox with the vertical knockback can't be used as a combo starter and the fact that it telegraphs where you are teleporting to makes you open to punishment as opposed to the unpredictability of the default Farore's Wind.

Up Special 3 (Farore's Meteor)

N8w2pF9.jpg
OSuYCPv.jpg

In this customisation, you lose the ability to choose your direction, you must always go straight upwards, this limits the moves horizontal recovery potential but it comes with the benefit of a meteor effect on the second hitbox.

The damage on the twirl hitbox is slightly less (4%), but it does more vertical knockback and - at higher percents - the move quite nicely combo's into itself with the second hit smashing people diagonally downwards and doing 7% damage.

But don't be expecting too many quick kills, the fact that you have to take them up with you to meteor them means that they'll probably break out of the hitstun before they're even close to the blast zone at lower percents.

Down Special 1 (Phantom Slash)

HXYs6CW.jpg
x9gfb00.jpg

This is Zelda's new special move in smash 4 due to the removal of her transformation special, it's a charge move that can't be stored and can't be held, though you can hold the charge for about a second or two after it's fully charged.

The length of the charge determines how far the phantom rushes forward, whereas the Phantom will only do a better attack once the move has been fully charged (indicated by a flash and a sound effect), anything below that does the same move.

Below full charge, the Phantom will do a quick horizontal slash that does 6% damage and very little knockback, whereas at full charge it does a rising slash that consists of 2 hits, the first doing 11% damage and slight vertical knocback, the second doing 13% and some Horizontal knockback. The knockback is quite weak even when fully charged, so it's definitely not a KO move, but the phantom will absorb attacks and projectiles whilst it's out.

The endlag on the move is quite high and you can't use it again until the phantom disappears (or your hand stops glowing purple if you need a different visual indicator).

Due to the fact that the Phantom doesn't immediately attack when the move is fully charged, it will whiff if the opponent is standing next to you, a non-full charge will connect though.

The move can also be done in the air and the phantom will act exactly the same, it's not affected by gravity at all.

Down Special 2 (Phantom Push)

33Ea9Xr.jpg
MAFDFWX.jpg

This one is a strange one so there may be something I'm missing and if anyone knows anything I don't it would be great if they could point it out, this Phantom slash seems to be the opposite of the first one in that, if the opponent is next to you, the fully charged version will hit where the completely uncharged version will whiff.

The uncharged version does 5% damage and the fully charged version does 9% and 11% with similar knockback, both versions will push the player outwards.

This one seems very strange because it feels like I'm missing something, maybe the move has shield breaker properties or something?

Down Special 3 (Phantom CQC)

JzpDB2M.jpg
uL9gBpz.jpg

This phantom will always appear right in front of you, no matter how charged it is, the two attack animations are both the same still with the uncharged version doing 8% damage and the fully charged version doing 13% and 15% damage, the knockback is also increased so it's a bit more of a KO move in this customisation.

Final thoughts

I actually like a couple of Zelda's moves, the Fast Din's Fire is my preference due to the quicker speed and better KO potential, but the Heavy Din's Fire does allow you to use it for vertical KOs and give yourself a bit more screen control, I think you should avoid using it against quicker characters though because you're going to need some pretty hard reads to use it without getting punished.

I'm not keen on the Farore's Vortex version of her recovery because of the fact that there's no damage and that the end lag is still to long to make it into a combo starter to make up for it or something, if there was no endlag and it set you up for an Uair or a Fair it would be good, but it doesn't. The meteor version on the other hand is pretty good, but I don't know how much DI is going to come into play with that one, it might not be as guaranteed as it might sound at first and you have to decide if the harder recovery is worth it, you become very predictable when you can only ever recover in one direction and always a set distance.

Not got much to say on her Neutral Specials, they all seem pretty tame and not really much variation between them, as usual use the explosive version if the other player doesn't have any projectiles.

The Phantom Slash is a bit too slow for my preferences so I don't fully know which is the best one, but the Push version could make a could edguarding tool, I don't know if the whole projectile blocking is that useful on a character with a reflect move though, especially when the reflect is much safer than the Phantom Slash.

If I had to start maining Zelda, my loadout would probably end up being 1233 if I had to take a guess, seems like a more beginner friendly Zelda that doesn't have to rely on hard reads and has some tools for all occasions.

Again, let me know if there's anything I've missed and I'll happily add it to the post, up next:
IVa6VVh.jpg

Jaeger

Ness Customisations

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

Alright, it's Zelda's turn, I'm not exactly in love with her in this game, she seems nerfed compared to what I remember, but I've never been a Zelda main so she may actually be good, she has a couple of good customisations but it's some of the more generic stuff I've come across.

Neutral Special 1 (Nayru's Love)

n2Xcul9.jpg

Standard move that Zelda's always had, it does 11% damage if you hit someone with the entire move and the last hit has decent diagonal knockback, seems to have a max threshold on the knockback though, hitting at 0% will only knock them across the ground, 100% will knock them some what diagonally and 999% will do the same.

Neutral Special 2 (Nayru's Pulse)

Qev35Qh.jpg

The Crystal on this one doesn't last as long as the default one and it only does 7% and does very small knockback (which is a set value, the other player's damage doesn't affect how far they go), it also flips the other player similar to Mario's cape, except that it doesn't always just turn them around, it always makes them face away from you.

Neutral Special 3 (Nayru's Explosion)

LrPJrFh.jpg

Very similar to Ness' explosive PSI Magnet special, no crystal to reflect projectiles but it sucks people in and explodes dealing 15% damage and not too great knockback, but it's a good option if your opponent doesn't have a projectile.

Side Special 1 (Din's Fire)

w2SnPDa.jpg
SE3xNb9.jpg

Very similar to what it's normally like, moves a bit slow, has alright vertical control.

At the minimum charge, the explosion is at it's smallest and does 7% damage at the center of the explosion, 3% if you just clip them with it. At maximum charge the explosion is some what bigger and does 7% if it clips and 14% if you hit them with the center.

Knockback at minimum charge is pretty low, max charge has higher knocback but it's still not really a worthy payoff for connecting with the move.

Side Special 2 (Fast Din's Fire)

B7ngRTm.jpg
X3lzT4w.jpg

This version travels much faster and further but the tradeoff is that you have no vertical control over it, the range is enough that you'll practically be able to hit someone from anywhere other than maybe if you're both off stage.

The damage is spread evenly across the distance rather than increasing as it goes further, doing 7% clip damage/14% sweetspot damage wherever it hits, knockback is also acts similarly, but seems to be higher than for the default move.

Side Special 3 (Heavy Din's Fire)

lJIMV0J.jpg
DggldhT.jpg

The third customisation gives you much greater vertical control, you can send it straight to the top of the screen without moving much horizontal, it's impossible to direct the move behind you though, and it moves a bit slower than the default.

When you release the button, the flame locks into position and explodes about a second later, the explosion gets larger the further it's traveled, being about the same size as the default one when fully charged at minimum charge and almost twice the size at maximum charge.

Damage and knockback at minimum charge is the same as the default special (3%/7%), but at maximum charge it goes up to 18% when sweetspotted and 9% when it clips.

KO potential is similar to Fast Din's fire, but the extra mobility and blast radius makes it easier to aim and connect, even if you miss the sweetspot, be warned that the endlag on the move is definitely longer, so there's no combo shenanigans you can do like knocking someone into the stationary flame, so you are quite a bit more vulnerable.

Up Special 1 (Farore's Wind)

N510LsH.jpg
xc5hUtY.jpg

The basic one we've had since Melee, press the button and then hold the stick to teleport a set distance in that direction, has 2 hit boxes, 1 on the initial twirl animation that does 6% damage and decent vertical knockback and a second hit box when you reappear that does 12% and good knockback, the move combo's into itsself around 40%+ and is a good kill move for Zelda, provided the other player DIs wrong.

You can teleport towards the ground to either stay in the same position or space yourself from the opponent like before, but the endlag stops you from doing much out of it, still a good mixup option now that the secondary hitbox has KO potential.

Up Special 2 (Farore's Vortex)

L85Rnz7.jpg
I7RVLMe.jpg
VQ76NfD.jpg

A move that forsakes damage for a greater distance traveled and a wind effect, the twirl hitbox pushes people away and the reappear hitbox knocks enemies vertically without doing any damage, an orb of light both telegraphs where you're going to be teleporting to and drags enemies with you.

I'm struggling to think of uses for this move, the improved recovery distance is ok, but her default recovery is already pretty damn good that the extra distance will only ever help in a few very specific situations, the endlag is still large enough that the second hitbox with the vertical knockback can't be used as a combo starter and the fact that it telegraphs where you are teleporting to makes you open to punishment as opposed to the unpredictability of the default Farore's Wind.

Up Special 3 (Farore's Meteor)

N8w2pF9.jpg
OSuYCPv.jpg

In this customisation, you lose the ability to choose your direction, you must always go straight upwards, this limits the moves horizontal recovery potential but it comes with the benefit of a meteor effect on the second hitbox.

The damage on the twirl hitbox is slightly less (4%), but it does more vertical knockback and - at higher percents - the move quite nicely combo's into itsself with the second hit smashing people diagonally downwards and doing 7% damage.

But don't be expecting too many quick kills, the fact that you have to take them up with you to meteor them means that they'll probably break out of the hitstun before they're even close to the blast zone at lower percents.

Down Special 1 (Phantom Slash)

HXYs6CW.jpg
x9gfb00.jpg

This is Zelda's new special move in smash 4 due to the removal of her transformation special, it's a charge move that can't be stored and can't be held, though you can hold the charge for about a second or two after it's fully charged.

The length of the charge determines how far the phantom rushes forward, whereas the Phantom will only do a better attack once the move has been fully charged (indicated by a flash and a sound effect), anything below that does the same move.

Below full charge, the Phantom will do a quick horizontal slash that does 6% damage and very little knockback, whereas at full charge it does a rising slash that consists of 2 hits, the first doing 11% damage and slight vertical knocback, the second doing 13% and some Horizontal knockback. The knockback is quite weak even when fully charged, so it's definitely not a KO move, but the phantom will absorb attacks and projectiles whilst it's out.

The endlag on the move is quite high and you can't use it again until the phantom disappears (or your hand stops glowing purple if you need a different visual indicator).

Due to the fact that the Phantom doesn't immediately attack when the move is fully charged, it will whiff if the opponent is standing next to you, a non-full charge will connect though.

The move can also be done in the air and the phantom will act exactly the same, it's not affected by gravity at all.

Down Special 2 (Phantom Push)

33Ea9Xr.jpg
MAFDFWX.jpg

This one is a strange one so there may be something I'm missing and if anyone knows anything I don't it would be great if they could point it out, this Phantom slash seems to be the opposite of the first one in that, if the opponent is next to you, the fully charged version will hit where the completely uncharged version will whiff.

The uncharged version does 5% damage and the fully charged version does 9% and 11% with similar knockback, both versions will push the player outwards.

This one seems very strange because it feels like I'm missing something, maybe the move has shield breaker properties or something?

Down Special 3 (Phantom CQC)

JzpDB2M.jpg
uL9gBpz.jpg

This phantom will always appear right in front of you, no matter how charged it is, the two attack animations are both the same still with the uncharged version doing 8% damage and the fully charged version doing 13% and 15% damage, the knockback is also increased so it's a bit more of a KO move in this customisation.

Final thoughts

I actually like a couple of Zelda's moves, the Fast Din's Fire is my preference due to the quicker speed and better KO potential, but the Heavy Din's Fire does allow you to use it for vertical KOs and give yourself a bit more screen control, I think you should avoid using it against quicker characters though because you're going to need some pretty hard reads to use it without getting punished.

I'm not keen on the Farore's Vortex version of her recovery because of the fact that there's no damage and that the end lag is still to long to make it into a combo starter to make up for it or something, if there was no endlag and it set you up for an Uair or a Fair it would be good, but it doesn't. The meteor version on the other hand is pretty good, but I don't know how much DI is going to come into play with that one, it might not be as guaranteed as it might sound at first and you have to decide if the harder recovery is worth it, you become very predictable when you can only ever recover in one direction and always a set distance.

Not got much to say on her Neutral Specials, they all seem pretty tame and not really much variation between them, as usual use the explosive version if the other player doesn't have any projectiles.

The Phantom Slash is a bit too slow for my preferences so I don't fully know which is the best one, but the Push version could make a could edguarding tool, I don't know if the whole projectile blocking is that useful on a character with a reflect move though, especially when the reflect is much safer than the Phantom Slash.

If I had to start maining Zelda, my loadout would probably end up being 1233 if I had to take a guess, seems like a more beginner friendly Zelda that doesn't have to rely on hard reads and has some tools for all occasions.

Again, let me know if there's anything I've missed and I'll happily add it to the post, up next:
IVa6VVh.jpg

Wonderful.

Can you do one for Dark Pit eventually?

Masked Man

I said wow
So uh
(Chorus Kids trophy)

Happy to see them, at least. Likewise, the last line seems promising to me: "This time, from the quirky and charming Rhythm Heaven cast, we bring you the Chorus Kids."

#iwanttobelieve

Except for Lucas and Ridley

Actually, there don't appear to be any Mother 3 references at all.

Yeah, I think that's even more troubling than Lucas becoming a standard trophy. Now it's like the entire game never existed. :(

Has anyone here tried beating Crazy Hand before Master Hand?

They share the same health meter, so it doesn't matter which one you focus on--they both die simultaneously.

JoeInky

Wonderful.

Can you do one for Dark Pit eventually?

Sure, I've been taking one from each person I've seen make a suggestion so I think I'm doing Samus, then Megaman, then I'll do Dark Pit.

Takes a random amount of time between each one due to the nature of unlocks though, and taking all the pictures is annoying without a capture card but it looks nice that way so I'm going to keep doing it.

Masked Man

I said wow
Sure, I've been taking one from each person I've seen make a suggestion so I think I'm doing Samus, then Megaman, then I'll do Dark Pit.

Takes a random amount of time between each one due to the nature of unlocks though, and taking all the pictures is annoying without a capture card but it looks nice that way so I'm going to keep doing it.

If you can get me screenshots of the text for these, I can give you "official" translations for the info included. :D

Teknoman

Interesting, but probably still useless in the long run. I can't believe it locks down all of your attacks when using it. It's astoundingly bad. And it could've been so cool.

Doesnt it block projectiles too?

I think people with the full version atm will have an easier time with tap jump off, but then again I dunno.5

Is that the only other colour for the tracksuit costume?

Yeah. Mac and Wireframe Mac both have 7 colors and 1 hoodie alt. Strangely, Wario only has 4 biker colors and 4 overall colors.

edit: Actually, thinking about it, that makes sense, since Mac and Wireframe Mac use the exact same textures other than the skin. Though Wario getting downgraded kinda sucks.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah. Mac and Wireframe Mac both have 7 colors and 1 hoodie alt. Strangely, Wario only has 4 biker colors and 4 overall colors.

edit: Actually, thinking about it, that makes sense, since Mac and Wireframe Mac use the exact same textures other than the skin. Though Wario getting downgraded kinda sucks.

Agreed. I really love Orange and Purple WarioWare color so it really got cut. I wonder if they ended up rushing with some of things at end of production.

Is it alright if I ask you to show Wario's new colors?

Yeah, I think that's even more troubling than Lucas becoming a standard trophy. Now it's like the entire game never existed. :(

Is the whole "Mother 3 had a lukewarm reception in Japan" thing really true? I'm hoping we at least see a Lucas trophy...

Also, how was Press Start?

Vashzaron

In that case I'd like to request Fox if you are able. Would really like to see his customs, Thanks.

JoeInky

If you can get me screenshots of the text for these, I can give you "official" translations for the info included. :D

I would, but the game only lets you take screenshots whenever you pause the game, so I can't get shots of the descriptions at all, I could try taking photo's with my phone but I don't know how readable they'd be.

Snorlax showed up in Jigglypuff's I think.

Starman.

Not to be confused with Mario's Starman, or Mega Man's Star Man.

Huh? Why? All the Congratulations are just funny POTD-style pictures using in-game assets.

Ness' has Starman and Mr. Saturn in it.

Oh okay then. My bad.

You know what would surprise everyone for DLC as much as the MK8 DLC and probably make everyone
most
super happy? Professor Layton and Pheonix Wright as characters. They already have the Level 5 and Capcom partnership going on.

Make it happen. I would explode. Like, I seriously would explode.

The only thing that could top that would be Banjo-Kazooie.
call Microsoft, dammit!
i would pay $40 more dollars for this DLC pack. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom