• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo DS: Camera, Music Playback and confirmed by Nikkei

RagnarokX

lyre said:
And don't get me started on archaic face and shoulder buttons; voice commands are the future of gaming.

And if it weren't for the fact that voice commands are a gimmick, the mic is out as well.
What about the power button/switch. The power of imagination is much more impressive than any game. Nintendo could start selling ideas instead of games and leave it up to the players to make up the rest of the adventure. Imagine how low the dev costs would be!

ksamedi said:
You think they will raise the price again?

Ask yourself this question: did charlequin already post to this thread saying that he thought they might raise the price again?

(Hint: yes.)

That's by no means certain, but my point is that there's no specific evidence from the article that this is a "high-end" DS that will sell alongside the Lite rather than replace it; until we get the real announcement, either one is very possible.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The coolest use of two screen 3d is the boss in Zelda DS where you see yourself through the top screen. That's kind of what I had in mind when they announced the DS.

ksamedi

charlequin said:
Ask yourself this question: did charlequin already post to this thread saying that he thought they might raise the price again?

(Hint: yes.)

That's by no means certain, but my point is that there's no specific evidence from the article that this is a "high-end" DS that will sell alongside the Lite rather than replace it; until we get the real announcement, either one is very possible.

Unlikely. The DS is dropping in sales in Japan.

Hcoregamer00 said:
:(

This new model will likely retail for $200

The lowest available price for a DS unit in the US will definitely not go up.

ksamedi said:
Unlikely. The DS is dropping in sales in Japan.

It is? Is that why it's gone from selling 50k to 70k again over just the last few weeks and is once again the weekly best-selling system in Japan?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
MoogPaul said:
Yeah? More expensive than the PSP? That would be pretty ballsie.

This new DS model would make it more expensive than the PSP in Japan if the rumored price is correct.

Nintendo could easily market this as a high end DS made to compete with the PSP's multimedia capabilities.

charlequin said:

Of course, but they could market this as a high end model.

The DS lite and a DS multimedia.

Hcoregamer00 said:
This new DS model would make it more expensive than the PSP in Japan if the rumored price is correct.
Nope.

Core PSP is 19800Y, Value Pack being 24800Y. They are actually the same prices PSP launched in 2004.

DS launched at 15000, then DS Lite raised it to 16800Y and this new DS is supposed to cost less than 20000 so who knows but not more expensive than a PSP.

PD: I love the discussion about being DS2, about becoming a multimedia device or using 2 SKUs. Reminds me of all the backslash other systems got back then.

ksamedi

charlequin said:

It is? Is that why it's gone from selling 50k to 70k again over just the last few weeks and is once again the weekly best-selling system in Japan?

Well, compared to last year and the year before that sales went down. Thats why I find it highly unlikely Nintendo will raise the price again.

Hcoregamer00

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Nope.

Core PSP is 19800Y, Value Pack being 24800Y. They are actually the same prices PSP launched in 2004.

DS launched at 15000, then DS Lite raised it to 16800Y and this new DS is supposed to cost less than 20000 so who knows but not more expensive than a PSP.

Oh, I kept on hearing that the PSP price is close to the DS lite, so I assumed that this new model would make it surpass it (even in one model).

Damn you GAF, you fail as sources.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Oh, I kept on hearing that the PSP price is close to the DS lite, so I assumed that this new model would make it surpass it (even in one model).

Damn you GAF, you fail as sources.
Heh, but if its ~19800Y, you would be able to buy either a new DS or a new PSP or the arcade 360 for the same price in Japan :lol

DrGAKMAN

Banned
This isn't the *next* portable people...I'm about 97% sure they'll keep the GBA slot in. We don't know enough to say how it'll really look, what's it's main aim is or even all the features it'll have, but I imagine that the asthetics and overall clamshell design will remain the same (any type of slide or swivel design would be pointless as the top screen isn't the touchscreen) as will the hardware (though if it's to have boosted wireless and more features it may need a bit more memory). The screen size may be upped and maybe (since part of it's aim will be to extend the life of the current DS generation) some better output features (better AA, scaling, slightly higher resolution?) may be added.

I already have a design in my head I may show before OCT 2. Basically same size as NDSlite (maybe shorter lengthwise) with larger screens whilst also addressing the obvious problems of button ergonomics, the clamshell hinge and how to keep it small enough to be a practical multi-media device while still having larger screens.

Hcoregamer00

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Heh, but if its ~19800Y, you would be able to buy either a new DS or a new PSP or the arcade 360 for the same price in Japan :lol

Holy Crap, I didn't even think of that.

:lol

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Glad I stuck with my DS Phat through the Lite era. I almost caved and got a Lite, but I'm glad I didn't.

I thought I was the only one. :lol

Jumpman23

I would hope that if this is indeed a new incarnation of the DS we would certainly see improved specs. I hope some if not all of these come true:

- dual touch screens
- more internal storage ram (upgradable?)
- speedier CPU (GCN capable visuals?)
- built in wi-fi capable form of pictochat
- simple form of Mario Paint on board (doodle over pictures taken with the camera then send them via wi-fi to friends?)
- Opera or other browser on board
- wireless transfer of pictures to the Wii or vice versa
- accelerometer
- Mii integration
- Virtual Console capable (take your already purchased games on the go)

Ramenman

Jumpman23 said:

You mean, like the Wii ?

[/clevertroll]

Your list of dreamfeatures looks a bit too complete for something that's supposed to be a "new version" and not a "new console".

From what I gathered, this will be DS Lite ++, not a Next gen DS.

The DS Phat to Lite is cosmetic, you can't compare them. GBASP and GBMicro were both active at the same time, due to the fact that GB Micro has a different purpose. In the case of DS Lite to Next DS, you've got way more than a cosmetic difference, Next DS is probably the biggest upgrade to a Nintendo handheld besides the GBASP (the first handheld to use an LED battery, IIRC), and many of the features - SD card support, camera, music playback - some people wouldn't want. DS Lite is like one of the PS3/360 lesser SKUs, but more appealing.

Cygnus X-1

Stumpokapow said:
I'll elaborate on this.

When you boot a DS game, the ARM7 processor boots first. All current DS games have an ARM7 executable. Removing the ARM7 will render all DS games unable to boot.

When one screen is 3D and one screen is 2D, the ARM7 is powering the 2D screen. When both screens are 3D (several games do this; there is a framerate cost associated), the ARM7 is not powering any active screen. Removing the ARM7 will render all DS games with a 2d screen (80%+ of the library) unable to display.

When you touch the touch screen, the ARM7 handles your input. Only the ARM7 can do this in the current architecture. Without the ARM7, no past DS game can access the touch screen, and if future games used the ARM9 given a new hardware architecture, no past DSs could access the touch screen using the ARM9.

Any time your DS uses local ad-hoc Wifi or Nintendo WFC, the ARM7 is driving this connection. Without the ARM7, download play, wireless games, and WFC all cease to work.

The ARM7 also constitutes just under one third of the DSs general processing power. Removing it will not only break existing games, it will kneecap the DS on a go-forward basis. I guess the bright side would be instead of being video-constrained in terms of gameplay opportunities, it'd be processor constrained. Yippie!

I hope people continue to reply to the thread suggesting that the ARM7 will be removed.

Complete and ironic at the same time. Thanks for elaborating.

nli10

The fact that the google ads for this thread are all Piracy cards made me :lol

Either-way, whatever gets announced DS wise on the 2nd I'll pre-order, just depends what country I'm pre-ordering from really! Which is odd as I can't justify upgrading to a X360 or PS3 yet...

jts

...hate me...
thetrin said:
The question is, can I take upskirt pics with my DS on the train to work?
6431.jpg

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Glad I stuck with my DS Phat through the Lite era. I almost caved and got a Lite, but I'm glad I didn't.

Sadly, you missed out on an incredible improvement. And you'll probably have to wait another few months for this baby anyways. By that time they will have come out with the DS2.

Jonnyram

I'm keen to see how they price it. The newspaper article suggests to me that it will be 19800 yen, which would be fucking retarded, but would still sell a boatload. Also, the release date? Probably close to the DS / Wii release dates - start of Dec / end of Nov. No way they will be able to keep up with demand though. I bet even the pre-orders have massive queues :(

Rpgmonkey

I wonder how close this is going to release to DQIX?

That's going to be a crazy week, isn't it...

Vilix said:
I thought I was the only one. :lol

This thread has more people like you and me than I expected. :lol

The Hermit

Jumpman23 said:
I would hope that if this is indeed a new incarnation of the DS we would certainly see improved specs. I hope some if not all of these come true:

- dual touch screens
- simple form of Mario Paint on board (doodle over pictures taken with the camera then send them via wi-fi to friends?)
- accelerometer
- Mii integration

please_make_it_stop.jpg

This is not DS2 ok?!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Jumpman23 said:

- dual touch screens
- accelerometer
- Mii integration

:lol :lol :lol

Markster

Now, they need to release this by mid-November to coincide with my trip to Japan, so I may casually be the envy of all of my friends.

Death_Born said:
Sadly, you missed out on an incredible improvement. And you'll probably have to wait another few months for this baby anyways. By that time they will have come out with the DS2.
I pretty much only play my DS at home, so a brighter screen and smaller size weren't nearly enough for me to double dip. All I missed out on was a worse D-Pad.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
I'm keen to see how they price it. The newspaper article suggests to me that it will be 19800 yen, which would be fucking retarded, but would still sell a boatload. Also, the release date? Probably close to the DS / Wii release dates - start of Dec / end of Nov. No way they will be able to keep up with demand though. I bet even the pre-orders have massive queues :(

DS the same price as the 360 Arcade SKU? :(

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
DS the same price as the 360 Arcade SKU? :(
DS too expensive? 360 too cheap? Both? :)
Clearly Nintendo is competing with the new PSP though. This couldn't have come at a better time, really. Insane.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
wsippel said:
Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but Nintendo commented:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1218405_1124.html

It's not the "rumor and speculation" standard answer I had expected, at least that's what I get from the Google translation - but I guess someone who actually understands Japanese should translate.

It's the classic "We are always working on new hardware, we haven't announced anything so no comment" comment that companies give when shit leaks.

Zoc

Nintendo has always put a priority on the Japanese market, so it seems only natural they would release a new iteration of the DS now that it's slowing down there.

To me, the real question is when they'll release a new Wii with colours/DVD/more storage, since the Wii hasn't exactly been burning up the sales charts recently, either.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Check a few pages back. You're not alone, my friend!

Top Bottom