• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from work, but would vectoring (or whatever it's called atm) be possible to scale back via a simple patch if it bothered enough people? Something like it's influence on characters after being launched is inversely proportional to their percentage?

I have zero clue how Sakurai would respond, but unless there's another tripping situation *everyone* complains about, stuff like jab-locking being significantly nerfed but not outright removed makes me think this mechanic at best would get scaled back.

Just got back from work, but would vectoring (or whatever it's called atm) be possible to scale back via a simple patch if it bothered enough people? Something like it's influence on characters after being launched is inversely proportional to their percentage?

I have zero clue how Sakurai would respond, but unless there's another tripping situation *everyone* complains about, stuff like jab-locking being significantly nerfed but not outright removed makes me think this mechanic at best would get scaled back.

If they're going to make any balance patches like that, I would hope they at least wait three or four months. The game's not even out in the US yet, we don't really know what any of this does to gameplay.

Was the response to Brawl's character right after launch positive like this? I find it funny how it seems every character has a lot of people saying how he/she is pretty good!

Makes me happy as hell. In a perfect world, the great balance the game seems to have right now is confirmed!

udivision

I don't think Sakurai would really care.

You know what, DI is weird.

It's not explained in the game at all, it gives an advantage to skilled players, and doing the correct DI depending on the situation is something you have to learn.

I'm surprised people haven't asked for it's complete removal. I mean, from what I've seen in typical Nintendo game communities, it has all the elements of an "anti-casual" technique.

If they're going to make any balance patches like that, I would hope they at least wait three or four months. The game's not even out in the US yet, we don't really know what any of this does to gameplay.
Would stuff like getting rid of that bizarre momentum thing Wario can do in the air or Peach's ability to summon bombs that stops you from using her in For Glory count as balance patches? Since I'd hope that stuff would at least get fixed sooner, though I agree with your overall sentiment, I'm more just thinking long-term if this 'problem' persists.

At the moment Mega Man doesn't seem to fare too well in this game's balancing and his Up B out of hitstun gives him SOMETHING if he's not going to get any other major tweaks soon.

I need Smash GAF to talk me off the ledge on this one. I'm so sure I'm reading this wrong, but in this article

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/18/super-smash-bros-3ds-xl-unboxing

Jose Otero mentions the following:

"Nintendo of Europe announced the system via twitter on August 13 but, because it comes bundled with a copy of the game, it won’t be available in that territory until the game’s release. Please keep in mind that this is not the New 3DS XL Nintendo announced for Japan. That specific Smash-themed system is currently slated for release in November."

So what does this mean, exactly? Is Japan getting a Smash-themed New 3DS? Is that what he means? Because the Europe bundle comes out in October. The NA Smash-themed 3DS comes out on September 19th. So...what?

EDIT: NVM

I found it. http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/29/new-3ds-and-new-3ds-xl-announced-for-japan/

"Customers in Japan will also be able to purchase Super Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter themed systems."

Drago

I need Smash GAF to talk me off the ledge on this one. I'm so sure I'm reading this wrong, but in this article

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/18/super-smash-bros-3ds-xl-unboxing

Jose Otero mentions the following:

"Nintendo of Europe announced the system via twitter on August 13 but, because it comes bundled with a copy of the game, it won’t be available in that territory until the game’s release. Please keep in mind that this is not the New 3DS XL Nintendo announced for Japan. That specific Smash-themed system is currently slated for release in November."

So what does this mean, exactly? Is Japan getting a Smash-themed New 3DS? Is that what he means? Because the Europe bundle comes out in October. The NA Smash-themed 3DS comes out on September 19th. So...what?
Japan is getting a Smash Bros themed New 3DS LL in November (don't think it has been said if it includes the game or not but it probably will). NA gets red and blue Smash OG 3DS XLs tomorrow (no game included) and EU gets the red Smash OG 3DS XL on October 3rd with game pre-installed.

Balance patches seem very out of character for Sakurai, much less ones concerning a mechanic that has nothing to do with his preferred target audience and one they most likely made deliberate decisions on.

I just wish Smash Boards would come up with some videos demonstrating what combos may still be possible instead of debating what name VI/DI should have and why.

JoeInky

Previous characters (click to view)

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

This time it's Lucario, the first Pokemon I've done so far. I did want to do Charizard, but I ended up getting more custom moves for Lucario than Charizard and completed his moveset first, so here we are!

Also, to preface this, Lucario's Aura Power seems to be at maximum strength around the 165% mark, anything above that doesn't seem to increase his offensive abilities at all. So whenever I talk about minimum Aura, medium Aura or max Aura, I'm talking about when Lucario is at 0%, 90% and 165% respectively. Obviously Lucario's Aura Power scales gradually though and isn't just three set levels, it's just some baselines for you to get a feel of things.

Neutral Special 1 (Aura Sphere)

kveUMfK.jpg
u42vjOf.jpg

Lucario charges an Aura Sphere, the range of the move is determined by charge time, the damage, knockback and size of the sphere is influenced by both charge time and Lucario's Aura Power

At minimum charge, it will travel just under halfway through Battlefield whereas at full charge, it will travel just under the entirety of Battlefield.

Minimum Aura: minimum charge does 4% and negligible knockback, maximum charge does 11% and greater knockback (won't kill Samus until around the 240% mark)
Medium Aura: minimum charge does 7% and slightly larger knockback, maximum charge does 19% and even greater knockback (won't kill Samus until around the 120% mark)
Maximum Aura: minimum charge does 11% and more knockback than the previous, but still really low. Maximum charge does 28% and will kill Samus around the 80% mark)

You can hit people with the sphere whilst it's charging still, though the damage and knockback is minor, being only 1% a hit at all levels, though the larger sphere means it's easier to hit with at higher Aura levels.

Neutral Special 2 (Vortex Sphere)

e6OQqvH.jpg
5nKdEXo.jpg

Very similar to the default, only this time, the Aura Sphere Lucario throws moves much slower (so the range isn't as large) and sucks enemies in towards it. It also does multiple hits instead of a single hit and the sphere is also slightly larger.

The range works in the opposite way to the default as well, at minimum charge, the sphere goes the furthest, getting halfway across Battlefield. Whilst the fully charged version will barely go a quarter of the way.

Minimum Aura: minimum charge does 1-2% a hit and maximum charge does 9-10% a hit. A fully charged version will still only kill Samus at 240%.
Medium Aura: minimum charge does 2-3% a hit and maximum charge does 16% a hit. A fully charged version will kill Samus around 150%
Maximum Aura: minimum charge does 4% as hit and maximum charge does 22%. A fully charged version will kill Samus around 90%

Damage whilst charging is still only 1% a hit, and the sphere doesn't suck people in whilst charging, only when thrown. Endlag on the move may also be slightly higher.

Neutral Special 3 (Fast Sphere)

6kADhuF.jpg

This time, Lucario throws a much faster Aura Sphere that travels further and goes through enemies and projectiles, but loses out on damage and knockback. The size of the sphere is similar to the default.

At minimum charge, the sphere will travel over halfway across Battlefield and at maximum charge it will go across the whole thing and a bit extra.

Minimum Aura: minimum charge does 2% and maximum charge does 4-5% a hit. Knockback is very minor, but it's more horizontal which means it ends up still being able to kill at similar percents as the previous move, killing Samus at 250%
Medium Aura: minimum charge does 3-4% and maximum charge does 7-8% a hit, the maximum charge is able to kill Samus around 205%
Maximum Aura: minimum charge does 4-5% and maximum charge does 10%, the maximum charge is able to kill Samus around 170%

Side Special 1 (Force Palm)

aZ4DKSO.jpg
ArSLkz7.jpg

Lucario shoots a blast of Aura out of his palm, the higher his Aura Power, the greater the range, damage and knockback. If someone is next to you during the startup of the move and you're on the ground, it instead becomes a grab with even higher knockback and damage.

The blast does more damage closer to Lucario

Minimum Aura: Range is just over Lucario's width and the damage is 7% at close range and 4% at max range, knockback is very low unless the grab is activated, which will do 8% and kills Samus around 190%.
Medium Aura: Range has been extended to about a quarter of Battlefield, blast damage is 13% at close range and 8% at max range, the knockback is still relatively low, but the grab does 15% and will kill Samus around 130%.
Maximum Aura: Range is now over a third of Battlefield, blast damage is 19% at close range and 12% at max range, the knockback from the blast will now kill Samus around 200%. The grab now does 21% damage and will kill Samus as low as 80%

Side Special 2 (Force Dash)

59WuIE4.jpg
IDwRNk3.jpg

This variation allows Lucario to dash forward before shooting the blast/grabbing, at the expense of blast range, damage (the blast damage is also uniform now, rather than being stronger closer to Lucario and the blast damage is the same as the grab damage) and knockback. The dash distance is the same at all Aura levels: a quarter of Battlefield.

Minimum Aura: Does 6% damage with little knockback and the grab knockback can't kill Samus until 235%
Medium Aura: Does 11% damage with little knockback, the grab kills Samus around 150%
Maximum Aura: Does 15-16% damage with better knockback and the grab can kill Samus at 115%

Anything else about the move seems to be the same.

Side Special 3 (Power Palm)

WbcTHf4.jpg
rpDSIbk.jpg

It seems like the range and grab knockback has increased on this move, with the startup being longer and a little less damage as the tradeoff.

Minimum Aura: does 2% at max range and 5% at close range, the grab does 8% and is able to kill Samus around 180%
Medium Aura: does 4% at max range and 8% at close range, the grab does 14% and will kill Samus around 85%
Maximum Aura: does 7% at max range and 11-12% at close range, the grab does 20% damage and is able to kill Samus at 70%

Up Special 1 (Extreme Speed)

xc47Z0q.jpg

Lucario dashes in the direction the stick is held, he has some control during the first half and his Aura Power increases speed and distance, goes into special fall afterwards and he conserves momentum from the move, meaning at higher Aura Levels, it's possible to completely miss the stage and go past it.
There is also a sweetspot, doing damage and horizontal knockback at the very end of Lucario's control over the move.

Minimum Aura: Travels a third of the length of Battlefield at 1.25x Lucario's dash speed, does 4% damage and won't kill Samus until around 200%
Medium Aura: Travels half the length of Battlefield at around 1.5x Lucario's dash speed, does 6% damage and kills Samus around 150%
Maximum Aura: Travels almost the entirety of Battlefield at around 2x Lucario's dash speed, does 9% damage at the sweetspot and will kill Samus around 100%

Up Special 2 (Controlled Extreme Speed)

hFXr4rn.jpg

Lucario gains increased control and distance, but loses out on the sweetspot at the end of the move, turning the special into a pure recovery special. Distance travelled as well as speed is increased as Aura increases, but the speed seems generally slower than in the default.

Minimum Aura: Lucario travels two thirds of Battlefield.
Medium Aura: Lucario travels the entirety of Battlefield.
Maximum Aura: Lucario travels way past Battlefield and dies.

Up Special 3 (Ramming Speed)

LpPbKZY.jpg

Lucario's extreme speed loses the sweetspot and large knockback in favour of multi hit, everything else about the move feels the same. The knockback loss means it's harder to kill with, but the multihit means it's easier to connect with the move.

Minimum Aura: Does 2% on the first hit and 5% on the second, the second hit is able to kill Samus at 280%
Medium Aura: Does 4% then 8%, second hit can kill Samus at 155%
Maximum Aura: Does 6% on the first hit, 11% on the second, the second hit is able to kill Samus at 130%

This version of Extreme Speed also lets you go through projectiles.

Down Special 1 (Double Team)

U7CbfgF.jpg
O5UaW8y.jpg

Lucario enters a defensive stance and glows with aura, if he gets hit during this period, he'll disappear and retaliate with a dive kick, the damage and (vertical) knockback increases as his Aura strength does.
The retaliation isn't guaranteed to hit and it is punishable in addition to the long endlag, so you need to be careful about using it too much.

Minimum Aura: 7% damage, knockback kills Samus at 150%
Medium Aura: 12% damage, knockback kills Samus at 100%
Maximum Aura: 17% damage, enough knockback to kill Samus at 80%

Down Special 2 (Auto-Counter)

G0OzVcJ.jpg
V44j60v.jpg

In this Variation you don't need to get hit at all for Lucario to perform a retaliation, during his defensive stance he's completely invincible and ends it with a mini aura blast.

Minimum Aura: Does 6% damage and can't kill Samus until 250%
Medium Aura: Does 11% damage and kills Samus around 170%
Maximum Aura: Does 15% damage and kills Samus at 110%

So basically the trade-off for an easier counter is less damage and knockback, it's a much safer move than the default due to the fact that you'll create a hitbox even if you miss.

Down Special 3 (Shocking Counter)

3naBCoT.jpg
9QUdfC8.jpg

In this variation, the dive kick is replaced by Lucario teleporting around the same spot, dealing electric damage and stunning them at the end of the move.
The enemies current percentage increases the length of the stun (around 150% is the minimum amount needed to actually followup with a quick move)

Lucario's Aura seems to have no effect on this move, always doing 1% damage a hit for up to 4 hits and stun at the end.

Final Thoughts

Yes, I know 90% isn't halfway between 0% and 165%, but I started this writeup with the impression that it capped at 180 but not 165, this means that my minimum and maximum auras were fine, but I'd have to retest the medium aura moves, and I'm too tired for that.

I like the Vortex Sphere, reminds me of the PM Spirit Bomb a lot, just different, I like any stage control projectiles honestly.

Shocking Counter doesn't seem that useful, maybe if the stun wasn't so pathetic or if it or damage scaled with your Aura strength, but this seems to be one of those cases where the default move looks better to me.

The Controlled Extreme Speed is good if you find yourself dying a lot to your own recovery, but I prefer the Ramming Speed one just because it lets you get through projectiles.

I would write more about this because I really like Lucario, but I'm also tired, this one took longer than I expected due to all the aura workings and my neck was really hurting from staring down at the 3DS for the last hour of it.

Anyway, my loadout: 2331.

Japan is getting a Smash Bros themed New 3DS LL in November (don't think it has been said if it includes the game or not but it probably will). NA gets red and blue Smash OG 3DS XLs tomorrow (no game included) and EU gets the red Smash OG 3DS XL on October 3rd with game pre-installed.

I got way too excited for a minute there.

Apparently there's a new patch... 1.0.2

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/axcj/update/index.html

Rough Google Translate
. 1.0.2 [2014.9.19 delivery] Ver
  • When the internet play in (with someone), which was used under deadly skill of "Peach" and "Hikkonuki vegetables" the match immediately after the start, a problem that is misjudged as fraudulent rarely it was fixed.
  • Other, so that customers can play the game comfortably, was fixed some problems.

Revven

Hm, is the reason you can't online possibly because there's another patch? Someone with the game should go check.

Edit: Ah, seems so looking above! Probably fixes the Peach banning stuff.

Tenck

lol so lame. I try to connect online, and it tells me I need to patch the game. So I go to eShop, patch up the game, and it tells me it's still out of date?

Ok, I need to rant about the stages now. I was trying to be ok with it, but I've been playing classic mode all day and it just bugs me.

Pikmin, Game & Watch, Metroid, Wario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, & Sonic
not getting a new stage is so annoying. It's even more frustrating since some of these have existed since Melee. 12 years ago I was playing on Jungle Japes and Brinstar. And I suppose it's fine to keep re-using them but they're the only freaking stages for their series. Also, I will admit I am a bit biased because I love Pikmin but I absolutely despise Distant Planet as both a stage and a representation of Pikmin.
That Garden of Hope looks so beautiful is the only thing keeping me from pulling my hair out right now.

Plus, Little Mac and Mega Man get stages from the Wii U version and Wii Fit Trainer gets no stage and battles on the random Mii stages.

Meanwhile, Mario gets 4 new stages and Zelda and Pokemon get 2 each.

On top of this (and this is a minor thing, I know), but only 2 of the stages are from DS games, Nintendo's best selling platform ever.

It's even more frustrating to see the love and care in stages like Magicant and Mute City, in comparison to the recycled stages.

Gargh, sorry, just had to get it off my chest.

On top of this (and this is a minor thing, I know), but only 2 of the stages are from DS games, Nintendo's best selling platform ever.

This is a general gripe I have with the game, to be honest. Everything is really 3DS-centric. I know that they're the most recent and have the most usable assets, but... even the trophies are pretty much all from 3DS games aside from Spirit Tracks. It's a shame that the rest of Nintendo's handheld history kinda gets shunned like that (Dreamland stage aside).

Ok, I need to rant about the stages now. I was trying to be ok with it, but I've been playing classic mode all day and it just bugs me.

not getting a new stage is so annoying. It's even more frustrating since some of these have existed since Melee. 12 years ago I was playing on Jungle Japes and Brinstar. And I suppose it's fine to keep re-using them but they're the only freaking stages for their series. Also, I will admit I am a bit biased because I love Pikmin but I absolutely despise Distant Planet as both a stage and a representation of Pikmin.
That Garden of Hope looks so beautiful is the only thing keeping me from pulling my hair out right now.

Plus, Little Mac and Mega Man get stages from the Wii U version and Wii Fit Trainer gets no stage and battles on the random Mii stages.

It's even more frustrating to see the love and care in stages like Magicant and Mute City, in comparison to the recycled stages.

No, I'm with you. Not going to ruin the game for me by any means, but the stages are the biggest disappointment. Even as a huge Mario fan, I think there are too many stages from it. Get rid of that NSMB2 stage at least, since it's just doing the same World 1-1 theme we've seen a million times.

Pikmin I'm kind of okay with them reusing Distant Planet since it hasn't had a handheld iteration (that, and I happen to love that stage), but yeah, the rest were major missed opportunities.

Not that I don't enjoy the stages they've picked, but it's by far my biggest problem with the 3DS version.

Are there any good Lucario impressions? Because this is the first time I hear that Extremespeed does damage now.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Smash 3DS' stage selection is pretty pathetic outside the real stand outs.

Lucario's customs are boring. They could have at least gave him slightly similar attacks - what about give him a custom Neutral B called Swift, that homes in on opponents? The more damage, the better the homing.

Wario not having a handheld level is probably the most puzzling, as he's basically an entirely hand held character

Well WarioWare is technically handheld, but I get whatchoo mean. Wario Land is past due for a proper stage.

I'd love to see Metroid, Star Fox, DK, etc. get stages, but Magicant and Mute City deserve to exist more than stages from those respective series. F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and Mother got skipped in their Smash games of origin for stages, so why shouldn't they get their own new stages? In fact, I think EB and F-Zero should get new stages on the Wii U too!

Im a dummy and didn't save the links earlier; I know I saw someone posted some imgur links to the images for all the characters and alternate colors/costumes. Does anyone have those still?

JoeInky

Are there any good Lucario impressions? Because this is the first time I hear that Extremespeed does damage now.

Default Extreme Speed sweetspot is pretty hard to hit, it can only do damage at the very end of the move, anything else does nothing - I didn't even know it did damage whilst I was taking the pictures and only found it in training mode later.

His fair is really good, he can combo out of dthrow, tilts are fast and with large hitboxes, seems like a solid character from what I've played.

You gotta remember almost every 3DS stage is ripped straight out of another 3DS game.

I'd love to see Metroid, Star Fox, DK, etc. get stages, but Magicant and Mute City deserve to exist more than stages from those respective series. F-Zero, Fire Emblem, and Mother got skipped in their Smash games of origin for stages, so why shouldn't they get their own new stages? In fact, I think EB and F-Zero should get new stages on the Wii U too!

I'd love for F-Zero to get its own Wii U stage since we'll likely never see a true HD F-Zero on that system, but the Magicant stage is so ambitious and inspired that I'd love to see it on the Wii U as well.

Default Extreme Speed sweetspot is pretty hard to hit, it can only do damage at the very end of the move, anything else does nothing - I didn't even know it did damage whilst I was taking the pictures and only found it in training mode later.

His fair is really good, he can combo out of dthrow, tilts are fast and with large hitboxes, seems like a solid character from what I've played.

So he's a strong character outside his buffs? Because that's one of his bigger problems in Brawl, where he had to be outright losing to be any decent.

DaBoss

Ramming Speed sounds like my kind of thing. Multi-hit and goes through projectiles. Does the last hit have a bit more knockback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom