• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

On another note, does anyone else think that banning stages for tournament play shouldn't be done based on if it has stage hazards or stuff like that, but rather hard data. It's easy to say stage hazards increase randomness or decrease skill, but I feel it's worthless to say it as if it's a sure thing with no actual evidence. You can say common sense or it's obvious, but a lot of things that seem like common sense or obvious have been proven wrong

On Zero's stream a little while ago, he was going through stages and seemed quite alright with stage hazards. The only stages he was instantly dismissing were ones with:

- Walk-off stages (people camp towards the edges so they can get easier kills, plus removes all important off ledge play)
- Stages that grant buffs (obvious)

Which seems fine to me. I don't think most players are opposed to hazards as long as they are predictable enough to be skillfully dodged.

Revven

I've mentioned this before, but is anyone else severely disappointed in the game so far? I was looking forward to playing online daily on my breaks, but it's a laggy mess every time.

Sounds like you're either connecting to people who have bad connections or you have a bad connection -- additionally, distance is a factor as well. I've been watching streamers playing For Glory all week so far and most of their matches have been lag free.

Are you playing in For Fun? FFAs I've heard lag more or have a higher potential to lag because of all the connections involved + items and stage hazards.

The Wii U version couldn't handle dat bro
Whatever this "Smash for Wii U is Smash 5" thing is I'm not buying it.

If I was in charge of smash 90% of smashGAF would hate me for the roster alone.
I think most people would love my roster, the problem is it would take too long to set up (I believe the next Smash game should have an entire row of third-party characters, as an example)

Also I don't like Lucario so he'd get cut.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I've mentioned this before, but is anyone else severely disappointed in the game so far? I was looking forward to playing online daily on my breaks, but it's a laggy mess every time.
Do you live in Japan? If not, that may be part of the issue with the lag.

Jawmuncher

Sounds like you're either connecting to people who have bad connections or you have a bad connection. I've been watching streamers playing For Glory all week so far and most of their matches have been lag free.

Are you playing in For Fun? FFAs I've heard lag more or have a higher potential to lag because of all the connections involved + items and stage hazards

Don't play with items with friends.
Got it.

Whatever this "Smash for Wii U is Smash 5" thing is I'm not buying it.

I think most people would love my roster, the problem is it would take too long to set up (I believe the next Smash game should have an entire row of third-party characters, as an example)

Also I don't like Lucario so he'd get cut.

A entire row of third party characters?! Sign me up for that shit. Sakurai your replacement has arrived.
only if there's snake

CHusson91

Banned
Sounds like you're either connecting to people who have bad connections or you have a bad connection. I've been watching streamers playing For Glory all week so far and most of their matches have been lag free.

Are you playing in For Fun? FFAs I've heard lag more or have a higher potential to lag because of all the connections involved + items and stage hazards.

I don't think it's the latter, as I've never hard problems with other games, but you might be right about their connections. I really can't figure it out, but it's actually comparable to Brawl's online so far. Ugh.

Anura

The stage list in this one sucks. Most non-walk-offs have a horrible mechanic for competitive play. The yellow devil shows up too frequently and flying man is one if the most one sided, exploitable, intrusive and broken stage hazard I have ever seen in smash.

Some are cool though, like the arena.

Revven

Oh! Is anyone else happy they actually reinstated the high% screams? Things were so 'dead' sounding when a character was sent flying at high% in Brawl.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh! Is anyone else happy they actually reinstated the high% screams? Things were so 'dead' sounding when a character was sent flying at high% in Brawl.

The black lightning is my favorite touch.

McNum

It better.
My friends haven't called me out yet about it but they will. I told them all today.
The EU eShop has a demo release date and time of the 19th at 8am GMT. That's 10am in Central Europe.

I hoped for a midnight, or at least a 2am release of the demo, but still seven and a half hours to go.

Jawmuncher

The EU eShop has a demo release date and time of the 19th at 8am GMT. That's 10am in Central Europe.

I hoped for a midnight, or at least a 2am release of the demo, but still seven and a half hours to go.

Wonder if they'll hit NA and EU at the same time.

That's too bad. If it was me, I think I could get 90% approval rates if Nintendo would give me good schedule and budget ratio for Smash 6.

You already know what to do for my satisfaction.

If you have a Windows laptop available, connect it via WiFi and enter the following in a command prompt:

/ping router'sIP -t

router'sIP should obviously be replaced with your router's IP address. The point of doing this is to see if the WiFi's stable. If it's stable then you should get a stream of 1ms pings with the occasional 2 or 3. If it's not stable then there will be high numbers sometimes and you won't have a smooth experience.

If you can't get your router's IP then you probably aren't playing at home. Play at home because it will be much more stable than anywhere that a lot of people can use the WiFi, which includes things like work places and McDonald's.

If you're outside of Japan then you are going to get into a ton of matches with a high input delay because the pool of players close to you that are online at any given time will be extremely small so you won't get paired against them too often.

Dr.Hadji

On another note, does anyone else think that banning stages for tournament play shouldn't be done based on if it has stage hazards or stuff like that, but rather hard data. It's easy to say stage hazards increase randomness or decrease skill, but I feel it's worthless to say it as if it's a sure thing with no actual evidence. You can say common sense or it's obvious, but a lot of things that seem like common sense or obvious have been proven wrong

Short answer is YES. People trying to "theory" their way through stage bans and expected meta are doing no service to anyone. Don't know why everyone is in such a rush to make the game "legit". Its the early days of Smash, keep the flicking levels in. We'll ban it later when factors dictate as such. Reasons why we banned a stage in Melee or Brawl may not exists in Smash 4. So test them out!

Anura

Short answer is YES. People trying to "theory" their way through stage bans and expected meta are doing no service to anyone. Don't know why everyone is in such a rush to make the game "legit". Its the early days of Smash, keep the flicking levels in. We'll ban it later when factors dictate as such. Reasons why we banned a stage in Melee or Brawl may not exists in Smash 4. So test them out!

Trust me when I say Magicant is awful and will be banned.

Dr.Hadji

Trust me when I say Magicant is awful and will be banned.

I don't mean to say that every level should be in. But Smash has a history of being much more open stages wise at the beginning of each game's new scene. Eventually that list gets shrunk down as actual problems arise due to actual matches being played. No need to speed up to the ending. I don't want 20XX just yet.

k_hop

Are there any good Link players with videos up at the moment? He's really fun to play in the demo but I'd like to see what other players have been able to do with him in the full game. I've only been able to find Toon Link videos in my own searches, or random videos of specific things like his final smash. Thanks in advance.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Poor Shofu getting shrekt by M2K on stream.

So we're anywhere between 3-10 hours from the release of the demo? I hope its 12 ET like most game releases, but this is just a demo so Nintendo may sit on it a while longer

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Man as much as people have been gushing over Mario's combos, luigi looks to have everything Mario does for comboing, plus a better down throw and neutral air.

I love it :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom