• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

haha real rest in smash bros would be fucked

Maybe 50% recovered instead of all your health like in Pokemon.

"Jigglypuff is at 100%? eh better use rest to bring it back to 0%"

lol

Well yea obviously it couldn't work like a heart container. It could maybe heal half your percentage but put you to sleep for a set amount of time and you would stay asleep even if you got hit. I'm sure they could balance it if they tried.

Proper rest would make sense for Smash if the percent went down as Puff slept. Have it start out slowly and then get quicker the longer she sleeps so she can't just restore most of her percent after a KO.

Or this.

Side Special 2. Headbutt Shock
pikachu2side.jpg

Pikachu's side special is a powerful charge move. Hold the button down and Pikachu will begin charging energy up. When you let go, Pikachu will shoot off sideways, spinning and surrounded by electricity. If Pikachu hits anyone while in transit, it will knock them back. The longer you charge the move, the further you will go and more damage you will do. Unlike the Skull Bash original, this move carries the opponent with them, inflicting damage multiple times.

Oh cool, so it's more similar to Volt Tackle from the anime.

Revven

Looks like we got another small Smash 4 3DS tournament:www.twitch.tv/smash_24

I think it'll be comprised of NJ players? So, probably roughly the same people from the ClashTournaments Smash 4 tournament that was last weekend. They're currently still setting up the stream atm it looks like.

Kriken

jwongrantoizj5.png

-Justin Wong, 2014 MVC3 Evo Champion

It's just kneejerk reactions, M2K will come around on the game just like Justin did.

Yeah I was thinking of that as well, and with Hungrybox at one point saying "I hope Smash 4 sucks" before entering the E3 tournament, I'm sure top players will at least give it a chance before moving back to Melee

Revven

Yeah I was thinking of that as well, and with Hungrybox at one point saying "I hope Smash 4 sucks" before entering the E3 tournament, I'm sure top players will at least give it a chance before moving back to Melee

M2K is guaranteed to be playing it no matter what. That guy, even though he disliked Brawl, played it all the way to the end and only because he was basically living off of it as his sole income (despite how shaky that was).

Blizzard

Banned
If you are attacking you won't grab the ledge.

There isn't a Wii U adapter, but the Wii ones work. It's also not on Nintendo's store anymore.

Nope, just the old wii one. For some reason.

Listen to me. This post says the following; Anything with the ASIX AX88772 chipset should work for sure (there are a number on amazon who advertise this and reviews say they do).

The official adapters are only available in the UK (and have gone pretty much extinct) but like that post said a decent ASIX AX88772 chipset will work just the same.

Is anyone going to PM the people making the Wii U |OT| so the info is there.
Thanks for the replies. It just seems really weird that Sakurai would officially say a wired adapter should be used, yet neither the Wii nor Wii U adapters are really sold anymore, at least not officially. Nintendo is even bringing back the GameCube controller and an adapter for that, just for Smash, so you'd think they would want to make money off a wired Ethernet controller as well. Anyone remotely competitive would want to grab it up I imagine.

Are you guys going digital or retail?

I'm kind of torn. I want digital so I can play it no matter what when I have my 3DS, but I want retail so I can expand my box collection. Thing is I don't see myself buying any new 3DS games for a very long time after this, since there aren't many announced so far, so retail might not be too bad convenience wise.

JoeInky

I can't watch streams whilst playing online, did leffen get salty after being destroyed and leave or is he just doing something else now?

Should have just changed to Diddy, he's good with him, or I'm bad against him, either one works.

emb

I can't watch streams whilst playing online, did leffen get salty after being destroyed and leave or is he just doing something else now?

Should have just changed to Diddy, he's good with him, or I'm bad against him, either one works.
He was like letting people choose a character, going to training to check them out, then playing them in a few glory matches.

He decided he was done with Samus. He was gonna quit one match sooner though, but tried again because he wanted to go out on a win. :lol:

I'm kind of torn. I want digital so I can play it no matter what when I have my 3DS, but I want retail so I can expand my box collection. Thing is I don't see myself buying any new 3DS games for a very long time after this, since there aren't many announced so far, so retail might not be too bad convenience wise.

I'm feeling the same way, I know I wont be taking the cart of my 3ds for a long while until maybe oras comes out, so I'm torn lol

JoeInky

Previous characters (click to view, Link done by georly)

Disclaimer: I can't read Japanese, so I may have missed certain effects that are hard to test (such as shieldbreaker properties) and I don't know the names of the custom moves so I've completely made them up.

This time, it's Metaknight, who should be completely banned from all tournaments because his custom moves are so broken!

Or not, he got a nerf from his old Brawl days, but I'm not too clued up on certain aspects of his specials in Brawl due to rarely playing him, so I may not have as much information on his changes, more just what we have now.

Neutral Special 1 (Mach Tornado)

PjdrBmu.jpg

Metaknight rapidly spins around, creating a damaging tornado, doing 1% damage a hit and putting you into special fall afterwards.

You can keep tapping B to increases the duration of the move as well as use it to gain height, it lasts about a second at it's shortest and does 8% damage if all hits connect, whereas tapping the button makes it last 2 seconds and can do a total of 22% damage depending on whether all the hits connect and how fast you press the button, but it can do as low as 10% if you tap too slowly.

The last hit does increased vertical knockback, but it's not able to kill Samus until around 180%

Metaknight has reduced control during the move, but he can still use it to get around and it will beat out low-priority moves or projectiles that do low amounts of damage (it will destroy a Homing Missile but not a Super Missile).

Neutral Special 2 (Mach Vortex)

EcfB0Wj.jpg

Metaknight spins around, pulling people close to him into the tornado for a single, more powerful hit.

Like the previous one, you can rapidly tap B to increase the duration, but Metaknight's horizontal control is massively reduced during the move and if you use it in the air Metaknight doesn't seem to be able to rise as much, though using it grounded seems the same as the default.

The single hit does 9% damage and better vertical knockback than the default one, being able to kill Samus off the top of the screen at 150%.

Everything else about the move seems the same, other than the fact that it seems to have higher priority, able to beat out Homing Missiles and Super Missiles rather than just the former (though it's still not enough to beat a fully powered charge beam).

Neutral Special 3 (Heavy Mach Tornado)

3yQqjLd.jpg

This is a harder hitting version of the default Mach Tornado, but you lose the ability to gain any vertical height and tapping the button doesn't increase the duration.

The move will do 13-14% damage if all hits connect and the final hit has better knockback than the default Mach Tornado, it's sends them both a further distance and at a more diagonal angle, which is better in this game as vertical kills are much harder than horizontal ones for most characters.

This variation can kill Samus at around 130%, so it's not that much better as a kill move, but it is a bit better as an edgeguard setup, though the knockback is still a bit too vertical for that really.

The endlag on this move is also considerably larger, so you really have to make sure you're actually going to hit with it.

Everything else about the move seems the same, other than the priority which seems equivalent to Mach Vortex.

Side Special 1 (Drill Rush)

JvHaGUx.jpg

Metaknight spins forward, travelling halfway across battlefield. His flight trajectory is controlled via the stick, though the turning circle is quite high, so you'll never be able to go in the complete opposite direction.

The move is multihit, doing 1% damage a hit until the final hit which does 3% and increased diagonal knockback (though not really enough to make it a kill move, only killing Samus at around 170%), making for a total of around 11% damage, if all the connects hit - which seems to be much harder this time around unless you start angling Metaknight slightly diagonally after the first hit, otherwise he just seems to do 2 hits then go through them.

The move is useful for carrying someone off stage with you, but it still puts you into special fall so I wouldn't do it too far off the edge.

It has the same properties as the Mach Tornado, being able to beat out low priority moves and projectiles.

Side Special 2 (Speed Drill)

SAMGFUs.jpg

A faster variant that lacks the ability to control the trajectory, but the distance traveled is slightly larger and although the damage stays the same (1% a hit, 3% on the final hit), the knockback is greatly reduced, not able to kill Samus until around 275%.

Due to the fact that it's horizontal only, it's a bit harder to land all hits and get the 11% of damage, so I'm unsure as to what the advantage of this custom might be, it seems weaker other than the fact that he moves faster whilst using it, and that isn't particularly noteworthy.

Side Special 3 (Breaker Drill)

XYOhBOl.jpg

Metaknight's "shield breaker" variant, I say shield breaker in quotation marks because, due to what I believe is a pretty big flaw in the Smash 4 engine, this move won't actually be breaking any shields, not when used against anyone competent, atleast.

See, Smash 4 seems to have either 0 or very little shieldstun in this game, you can just drop your shield or roll pretty much any time you please and, because this is a multihit shield breaker, the person you used it on would need to stand still and hold the R button and not realise what the move was doing to get hit by it.

Nobody is going to stand there and have their shield broken rather than just roll away or drop their shield and eat the much more preferable damage and low knockback, so I highly question the point of this move

When not failing to break shields, the move has the exact same properties as the default Drill Rush, though it travels slightly less distance than it and the knockback is much lower as it can't kill Samus until 290%.

Up Special 1 (Shuttle Loop)

aWxCNYY.jpg
cV5bTI6.jpg

This move is probably the most changed from Brawl due to the removal of the glide mechanic, Metaknight does a rising loop-de-loop that consists of 2 hits that seem to always combo each other below reasonable percentages (they combo'd at 300%, not much point testing after that, at some point they stop comboing and the first hit kills though, as that happened at 999%).

The first hit does 9% and the second does 6% and decent vertical knockback, the startup is incredibly quick and the knockback can kill Samus off the top at ~135%, so it's a pretty powerful move, though without the glide you're now limited with your horizontal recovery as it is mostly vertical, use drill rush instead if you're too far away.

The move has no other extraordinary properties such as super armour, so I guess that's all there is too say about it.

Up Special 2 (Shuttle Flight)

gfeHFac.jpg
XFRofYd.jpg

The startup on the move has increased, but the angle you travel at is much more horizontal, meaning you can cover more distance with it.

Each hit does 1% less damage, leaving for a total of 13%, the knockback is more horizontal though, meaning you can kill at lower percents (killed Samus at 125%) and it can be used to carry someone off stage, though don't use it too close to the ledge, the move still puts you into special fall and there'll be no way of making it back.

Up Special 3 (Shuttle Dive)

5YFgLd5.jpg
ebHjnMQ.jpg

For this custom, Metaknight sacrifices a guaranteed second hit for a more powerful second hit and increased vertical height.

He jumps much slower upwards this time around, then slowly dives and sharply turns back up to fly higher, it's very similar to the default except that it doesn't have the initial hit anymore, only the second one remains which now does 9% damage (though it degrades to ~4% if you hit them later on in the attack) and kills at the same percentage as the default..

Everything else about the move seems to be equivalent to the default, it's just a much better recovery option that's harder to KO with.

Down Special 1 (Dimensional Cape)

ke6Mlza.jpg
W1eGMCx.jpg

Metaknight disappears for a moment and reappears in the direction the stick is held. If you press B just before he reappears (or if you simply hold the shield or B button), Metaknight will perform a slash as he reappears that does 15-16% damage and does diagonal knockback that can kill around 135%

It will travel just over a quarter of the distance of Battlefield in whatever direction you hold, so it can be used to recover slightly like every one of Metaknight's specials, and it will put you into special fall, just like every one of his specials.

You're obviously invincible to projectiles and attacks whilst you've disappeared, as there's nothing there to hit, but the endlag is pretty high so you shouldn't really be using it as a dodge.

Down Special 2 (Dimensional Breaker)

12QaUni.jpg
NgRX7qX.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this custom is supposed to be a shield breaker move, it does less damage (10%) in multiple hits, travels the same distance and has higher end lag, so based on this and the visual effects of the move, I'm just going to assume this move has shieldbreaker properties, but getting the CPU to just shield in this game is very hard, so maybe anyone else out there has some more info for me, it seems like that must be what it does because otherwise it has no upside whatsoever.

Down Special 3 (Dimensional Teleport)

MwUVbkt.jpg
hvZF7x6.jpg
9LaAn2l.jpg

This variation lets you control Metaknight practically uninhibited as he phases through the air, the travel distance is increased to halfway across Battlefield and the damage is increased to 17%, but now that Metaknight is a visible blur, you're no longer invincible to projectiles and attacks.

It's also impossible to cut the attack short and instantly slash, you have to wait the full one and a half seconds before the slash and you're vulnerable the whole time as you can't do anything other than move, so watch out for that as getting hit will interrupt the move.

There is also a small push back effect if you control the blur towards people, but it's only minor, everything else seem to be the same.

Final Thoughts

The shieldbreaker moves were very disappointing due to lack of shield stun in the game, I thought they'd be fun moves to use but everytime I hit someone who was shielded, they'd just roll out the way and take the damage instead, you have to really catch someone sleeping to break anyone's shield with that thing, maybe the Dimensional Breaker is better at it but I'm not convinced.

Otherwise the customs are pretty average, they don't really fill any extra roles Metaknight was unable to do before, it's mainly just "different type of recovery", "faster but less damage custom" etc. etc. not particularly interesting if you ask me.

Digital on JP 3DS
(if I get a North American copy (so I can get that soundtrack) it will be physical)

Physical on WiiU. I don't get any retail games digitally on WiiU unless I get them for free.

I'm definitely going retail on wii U but mostly because I don't have much space left in my Hdd xD

JoeInky

I'm writing the game and watch moveset stuff now.

The judgement customs are so good.

And I'm not even talking about the one that only does 1 or 9, the other one is incredibly satisfying as well.

Next

Looks like we got another small Smash 4 3DS tournament:www.twitch.tv/smash_24

I think it'll be comprised of NJ players? So, probably roughly the same people from the ClashTournaments Smash 4 tournament that was last weekend. They're currently still setting up the stream atm it looks like.

according to the bracket notable players are: Nairo, ADHD, Vinnie, Dabuz and Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom