• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

HinaHitomatsuri

This is a story of an average middle school girl, until one day Hina, the daughter of a Yakuza (Nitta) moves to her school. Whilst befriending Hina, Hitomi finds that she is mentally incapable and often involved in dangerous situations due to her father, and thus ends up having to act as an overseer of Hina.
Due to this, Hitomi ends up dragged into bars and cabarets that Hina father frequents. Hitomi eventually finds herself forced into this underworld working as a Bartender at a bar where Hina Yakuza father frequents.

iEVEBj5.png

Within this world she also becomes acquainted with Anzu, a homeless girl of the same age as Hitomi and Hina. Due the circumstances in her life and having no one to look for her, she had no choice but to live in a public park with a group of homeless people, who taught her how to live in the street, as such Anzu spends the majority of her days looking for garbage to sell so she can enough money to eat for the day.

As with Hina, Hitomi finds herself helping someone else go up in life, donating her old TV to Anzu so she can trade it for a bit of money, or just being with Anzu a bit so she’s not alone in a park full of middle-aged homeless man.

We see Hitomi struggling into a forced adulthood as she has to deceive her family and friends regarding her new life, her friends eventually catch on into this new life of hers and become worried about the forced selling of her body to middle aged adults.
Jxvgfl8.jpg

Hitomi grows as a person in this adverse environment and eventually gets a hold of the bar she works at, effectively (unofficially) overtaking ownership of it.

Afterwards, in a final attempt at getting her own independence for her mother, Hitomi ends up forced to sign a lease on an expensive apartment, which forces her to start working for the various man that she meet while working as a bartender so she can gain some extra money. She effectively needs up juggling all her time between school and work, both at the bar as well as this other jobs in her little free time.
36WRrjR.png

This proves to be too much for her and she breaks down at the realization of what her life has become, she screams wishing only to become a child again. She tries to come up with a plan, to show her mother the type of world she lives in so her mother feels obligated to save her from her path. Unfortunately, after finding out how many connections and how much money Hitomi was able to gather while working in the underworld, her mother decides to support Hitomi activities thinking it will be the best for her child.

Hitomi is left alone in the night in her expensive apartment with all the money she made, she looks over the city, it’s unclear if she will continue climbing her path upwards in society or try to pursue her wish of returning a normal life, be it as it may, her path in the future will surely be interesting.

sVcaJXm.png

A HinaHitomatsuri is great series about the struggles of life and how the world can affect even the brightest of children, it explores how far someone is able to go in a path they were forced upon and the consequences it has on the life of everyone around that person, one of the best stories of coming of age of our times. Heavily recommended.

Zweizer

Banned
HinaHitomatsuri

A HinaHitomatsuri is great series about the struggles of life and how the world can affect even the brightest of children, it explores how far someone is able to go in a path they were forced upon and the consequences it has on the life of everyone around that person, one of the best stories of coming of age of our times. Heavily recommended.

Bravo.

[Fugo]

I want to reread all of Hajime no Ippo but its scaring me a bit (back then when I started it was "only" like 600 chapters that I had to read)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
[Fugo];131913734 said:
I want to reread all of Hajime no Ippo but its scaring me a bit (back then when I started it was "only" like 600 chapters that I had to read)

Do it, you'll speed through the chapters.

HinaHitomatsuri

Amazing review.

thanks to Zweiser for compiling a list of people's posts and PMing it to me.

waiting on 30 ch. posts from:

Volgihn (last was 10/30)
Angry Grimace (none...)
FlutterPuffs (none?)
AquaWateria (last was up to 20)
B-Dubs (last was up to 20)
Fox318(only 1 post ;_;)
Zephyx (last was 28/30)

Suzuka 21-30

We find out that Kazuki the one person that gets compared to Yamato was a fast sprinter who went to nationals. And it seems Suzuka had feelings for him but lost her chance to confess since he died in an accident. Then later on we have our MC stand up against Arima who went up against Kazuki back in the day for Suzuka's sake. Only to lose his race against him because he didn't practice. Then we have a cringeworthy scene between Suzuka and Yamato. Our MC then gets tickets to the pool in which he wants to invite Suzuka but doesn't. After that we have Honoka who wants to go to the pool with Yamato alone which is crushed by Hashiba, Suzuka, and Kenji.

Man is Yamato and Suzuka so unlikeable. The worst part of this is that they are both the MCs. Yamato is close to being a straight up stalker like c'mon man stop always following her in secret cause it has to do with a guy. Which is why you got your ass bitten by a dog, "Sister is so based." And he's getting annoying by repeatedly saying " Oh she hates me, no she likes me ". If he were a based MC he would of said I'm tired of your shit and moved on to another girl that isn't a bitch to him. Which he actually has. Then comes Suzuka who doesn't know what nice is. Like there are times when you get mad, but hers is on a whole different level. Just express your feelings and stop being a total bitch. If you like him just say you like him. Instead of being condescending. Then you get scenes with her that seemingly look nice to only be ruined by her shitty attitude.

And we get a character like Honoka who's a million times better than Suzuka. Who's role is to never catch a break. And she's actually really nice to the MC. To only be ignored because Suzuka is apparently fuckin cool. Man I mean even Hashiba is better than Suzuka. Also it's really sad when a cat is whole lot better of a character than Suzuka and Yamato. From here on I feel it will get worse.

Volgihn (last was 10/30)
Angry Grimace (none...)
FlutterPuffs (none?)
Fox318(only 1 post ;_;)
Zephyx (last was 28/30)

You can take me off that. I've finally finished reading 30 chapters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Volgihn (last was 10/30)
Angry Grimace (none...)
FlutterPuffs (none?)
Fox318(only 1 post ;_;)
Zephyx (last was 28/30)

Ah, I'm at 30 and I hate myself for doing this.

Nietzsche-sensei - Konbini ni, Satori Sedai no Shinjin ga Maiorita 01

l7lSKhWl.jpg

The weird adventures of a weird person working at a convenience store.

And it is amazing. Super stoke it is being translated now. The best kind of black comedy I have ever seen yet.

Oh someone finally picked it up? Always had my interest since its volume appeared on that 50 list at one point.

PK Gaming

Just finished catching up in Qualia The Purple

Jesus christ, what a ride. Have you guys checked this out? It's totally bananas.

So get this, it's about an ordinary girl who's friend with a girl who sees other humans as robots. It's pretty novel, run of the mill supernatural stuff. Cute, but nothing mind blowing. Things take a turn for the extraordinary when it shifts into the second half. Without delving into too much of the story, it pretty much goes Steins;Gate. (but even crazier, if you can believe it). It deals with various scientific theories, (such as the many world's theory and Copenhagen interpretation) that dovetails into the main plot. It's science stuff is nonsense, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I highly recommend you guys check it out.

dani_dc

Glass Mask Vol. 5

As I thought, Ikkakuju gave Tsukikage a hand, what I did not expect was Maya having to pull a solo performance after the rest of the cast got retained elsewhere. She managed to pull a wonderful performance which seemed to save the situation, but the series pulled another unexpected turn by having the piece being disqualified due to the changed made, resulting in Tsukikage theatre being closed.
As a result the characters are forced to move out, get jobs and start from zero. In the meantime Maya finally gains interest in playing the Crimsons Goddess, after which, she tries to take the chance at a movie audience which seems to have landed her a small role.

Lots of unexpected twists in this volume, keeping the story interesting and fresh, this new movie arc should keep things different enough from previous arcs and will have Maya being forced to interact with a new cast of characters, so I expect good things for next volume.

Only minus of this volume was the lack of Tsukikage physically abusing Maya, the only thing we got was her hitting Maya with a rock.

Usobuko

Banned
Boys on the Run Ch. 1-7

OblongHonoredElk.gif

Boys on the Run 8 - 21

Honestly, wat da fuq. I hate Chiharu already and I hate the protag, whimpy ass idiot.
image.php

This is what happened when you read Boys on the Run and Moteki at the same time.

It's not that bad though, I remember vividly people trying to dissect their behaviours and train of thoughts because as the reader, they were left hanging. This was when there's so much schadenfreude going on and they have wait for weeks till the next chapter came. If you're still craving for more, try Gonensei. It's protagonist is more of a laid-back, take things as they comes guy that was already in a r/s than these two.

Edit: I just realized chapter 28 is the
abortion
part. It's only going to get 'better'.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
image.php

This is what happened when you read Boys on the Run and Moteki at the same time.

It's not that bad though, I remember vividly people trying to dissect their behaviours and train of thoughts because as the reader, they were left hanging. This was when there's so much schadenfreude going on and they have wait for weeks till the next chapter came. If you're still craving for more, try Gonensei. It's protagonist is more of a laid-back, take things as they comes guy that was already in a r/s than these two.

Edit: I just realized chapter 28 is the
abortion
part. It's only going to get 'better'.

The direction of the story took a complete 180 with the UC one of the characters got.
Having to take a dump in a side bag is enough for me to give up on someone for vengeance.

I'll try Gonensei next week Friday and see.

Usobuko

Banned
The direction of the story took a complete 180 with the UC one of the characters got.
Having to take a dump in a side bag is enough for me to give up on someone for vengeance.

I'll try Gonensei next week Friday and see.

Considering you started with Natsu no Zenjitsu, taking 4 emotional roller coaster rides in a span of a week is no little feat.

Have you read Oyasumi Punpun too?

Quasar

Suzuka Vol 1

Yeah I'm slow :)

Well this first volume mirrors pretty well my memories of the anime. The only real differences seem to be the nudity and repeated scenes of the girls crashing yamatos place to get drunk.

Enjoying myself so far, revisiting the story and seeing the original version and how it differs.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Considering you started with Natsu no Zenjitsu, taking 4 emotional roller coaster rides in a span of a week is no little feat.

Have you read Oyasumi Punpun too?

You really want me to curl up into a ball don't you? I read Sundome (man was that a tearjerker) and people suggested Oyasumi Punpun and read some summaries on it and wow, I'll never read it for the sake of my own sanity.

Shengar

Nietzsche-sensei - Konbini ni, Satori Sedai no Shinjin ga Maiorita 01

l7lSKhWl.jpg

The weird adventures of a weird person working at a convenience store.

And it is amazing. Super stoke it is being translated now. The best kind of black comedy I have ever seen yet.

Nietzche.....sensei?!
Marx-Sensei when

Dresden

Sept. 28th ~ Oct. 5th: Parasyte, Hitoshi Iwaaki (moved to week one due to anime)

Bonus Mode: Munou no Hito, Yoshiharu Tsuge (just four chapters translated so c'mon)

---

Oct. 5th ~ Oct. 12th: Gundam Sousei, Hideki Owada

Bonus Mode: Japan Tengu Party Illustrated, Iou Kuroda

---

Oct. 12th ~ Oct. 19th: No.5, Taiyou Matsumoto

Bonus Mode: Banana Bread Pudding, Yuuko Ooshima

---

Oct. 19th ~ Oct. 26th: Boys on the Run, Kengo Hanazawa

Prize: Everlasting Happiness

~Join me~

I feel like this is a good mix of things that are relatively well known, but not necessarily well read.

Quoting as reminder~

Boku dake ga Inai Machi 1-2

So that's a pretty neat ability he has.

A little part of me does wonder why he has that power.

But manga logic dictates to not honestly care about those minor details.

The art style is very nostalgic.

Takes me back to when I used to read the author's Hohzuki Island.

If the mystery here manages to keep me interested just like in that manga, then I'm sure I'll be in for the long run.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Reading Boys on the Run until ch. 82 has motivated me even more to get into med school. This is some real shit if you wanna see a really useless protagonist.

Yam chan just wants to suffer with his choices

Are you my Gilgamesh who enjoys drinking wine as I suffer with manga? I've honestly exhausted a lot of manga to the point where I'm considering becoming a movie enthusiast to get my fix, all I read now are subpar monologues on idiotic characters that don't know how to assert themselves.

dani_dc

Glass Mask Vol. 6

I'm liking Maya independent actions as of late, she decided to take her future into her own hands instead of relying solely on Tsukikage, she's looking for her own opportunities and attempting to act in any circumstance that she can, be it a movie role or a small school play role, she just keeps trying to act as much as possible. Its great to have a protagonist with initiative despite her self confidence issues.

She was rewarded for this attitude at the end of last volume with a small role at a movie, which she aced and even managed to get an extended focus in her scenee and now she got a small role at a theatre piece. In between she also managed to play a Queen at the school play.

Ayumi was the biggest surprise of this volume though, despite being talented, she learned the right lessons of her "confrontations" with Maya and decided to push herself forward by trying different roles, going as far as begging in the street to get in character. She can still be a bit aggressive towards her fellow actors, but her efforts make me respect her as a character.
Despite being Maya rival the series manages to make her a likeable character that's no less hard working than Maya, its refreshing to have a talented rival character that doesn't fall on the mistake of relying solely on her talent.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Chiharu must disappear as a character. Never have I seen such a hypocritical and gutter trash of a character. I can go on about how the mangaka should have put her in the van instead of the protag's current GF but then I'm just hating too much.

edit:

now i wanna see her burn alive.

jWj7xUR.jpg

I hope it happens to you again, wuss.

Will not be satisfied until he and almost everyone else experiences something worse than what Nao had to go through.

upandaway

Itoshi no Karin 17

Nice, they caught him. He can't run away in the middle of the lake!

I died when she asked for the drawing.

Hajiotsu 14

Realistically speaking, the moment my hand or anyone else's hand touched the fries I wouldn't be able to participate anymore since that requires touching the mic too. Heck, I bet the mics are in a constant condition of grease because of the previous inhabitants. Mt. Fryji, you are too powerful.

Really happy that this got picked up again

Ore to Kawazu-san no Isekai Hourouki 09

And now we have dragons!

Perverted dragons!

Hot-blooded old dragons!

Stubborn old dragons!

Dragons!

upandaway

Hayate 466

Last time a manga tried to pull this nonsense out on me was Medaka Box. I ain't believin' any of 'em lies, y'hear me! Y'hear me!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom