• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GAMERGATE: The Threadening [Read the OP] -- #StopGamerGate2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmZA

By the way Zoe Quinn's info is STILL posted on 8chan. Numbers, parents' numbers, like thirty plus previous addresses. They refuse to remove it ('This is perfectly allowed not only on /*****/ but on the rest of the chan. Reporting it will not do any good, we will not delete it.') - location removed by me because yeah, no.

Here's what #GamerGate has to say about it: https://twitter.com/DaltonLGilbert/status/522723461220028416

Faiz

9ZFqhvk.png

Thanks Gawker writer Sam Biddle. Thanks Gawker.

https://twitter.com/samfbiddle if you want to try to figure out the context to see if it makes what he says make sense.

Well that's helpful :/.

frequency

As we all know, Kamiya is great at twitter. With Anita's stance on Bayonetta, I guess they figured he'd be an ally and have been tweeting him...

His response is calling them all idiots, blocks each one.

♡ Kamiya.

Check out @PG_kamiya's Tweet: https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/523007556696813568?s=09

Check out @PG_kamiya's Tweet: https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/523010843407970304?s=09

Check out @PG_kamiya's Tweet: https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/523011526727196672?s=09

Check out @PG_kamiya's Tweet: https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/523011598844035072?s=09

A number of popular gaming figures have refused to support GG. At what point do they realize that maybe they're not "fighting the good fight" and that there is something wrong with what they're doing?

When and why was boogie banned from GAF?

Mods have suggested not talking about him anymore. You can search for his posts though his profile and read the last bunch he made. To let him speak for himself in a way. It should clear some things up.

Btw, the chicks in these videos are kinda cute (sorry if this goes against the 'nexus' of the topic at hand):

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/se...n-video-game-culture/543c686878c90a71ff000157

Why the fuck did I just watch a 27 minute video about pro-GG people and hope that it was insightful? There are so many holes to pick, like even just the simple accusation that articles were saying all gamers were misogynists. Or that we should not talk about women in relation to GG.

Is this the HuffPo video that loads of people on Twitter are criticising?

Nepotism, huh? I don't think this Gemma knows what that word means...

OH MY GOD she mentioned (09:28) Bayonetta 2 and why calling the game incredibly sexist "shouldn't be in an objective review".

At least the host tried his best, and his response to "objective reviews" was good.

Gemma (10:48) gives an example of a "fantastic critic and it's Jennie right here!" /facepalm

(13:10) Jennie lists the websites "that are involved in this corrupt journalism" which are "prominent figures of the gaming journalism industry today" "who need to be told off, it's not right what they're doing" and NeoGAF comes up WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT (btw as she's reading the names of the websites, you can hear in her tone that she doesn't read these websites or is much familiar with them)

(16:37) "If you go to 8chan...I encourage you to check it out" no thanks lol

(20:36) Georgina: "In general, a lot of gamergaters are looking for the inclusion of women within videogames...from what I've heard of developers and stuff, they've said they feel very welcome within the gaming industry" So then what was the point of #1reasonwhy and other such movements if women developers feel welcome? Come on.

"The vast vast vast majority of them are pro-feminism or want to see more women in gaming"
4MUCOM2.gif

(22:35) Jemma "All we want to do is play games" then just go play them! But when you're on the internet discussing games, you're not playing games so can we just drop this silly line of argument? And that stupid spin on the Miyamoto picture? People don't seem to understand what politics means.
ih7DMCBrDdUrN.png

(23:09) "What are the structural issues that need to be addressed [in the gaming industry]?"
"Publicists giving journalists money to give their game a very good score" no examples given whatsoever of anything currently. Do these people know that most gaming websites have codes of ethics and separation of ads versus editorial?

Notice how no specific cases are actually cited, other than the name of "corrupt" websites.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Thanks for providing me choices. I do feel like work from other mediums does not attract a similar level of scrutiny. And that from a personal point of view, I feel like the portrayal of females in entertainment media/fiction doesn't affect me in a way that would offend me or make me act negatively towards females.
I mean, the bolded just isn't true. There are entire college programs dedicated to the critique of film and literature from whatever feminist, marxist, capitalist bent that you'd care to name. The reason why you maybe perceive less of it is because its more well established.

frequency

When GG talks about being pro-feminism they are talking about the Sommers brand of feminism.

Which runs counter to basically every other form of feminism.

So... It's true in the sense that they are pro-something-someone-called-feminism. I would argue Sommers is not a feminist though. You can't say, "All you feminists are wrong. So here is my re-definition of feminism. Since I adhere to my personal definition, ignoring that I do not align with everyone else, I'm a feminist."

bootski

A number of popular gaming figures have refused to support GG. At what point do they realize that maybe they're not "fighting the good fight" and that there is something wrong with what they're doing?

never, i don't think, or at least not in the near future.

when this whole thing started i had some sympathy for the sentiments being expressed by the gamergate crowd. i don't use twitter and my involvement was limited to this thread mostly but i still took a peek out at twitter to see what was up. it seemed like they were actually trying to do something and it was possible that the zoe harassment was done by some outliers of the same group. as it's progressed, it's obvious that this isn't true. while the #gamergate hashtag doesn't seem to be used to harass anyone, the movement itself has become a cover for a massive harassment campaign targeted almost exclusively at women in the gaming industry.

unfortunately, the people who bought into the hashtag during it's infancy and having been adding on since then will keep this alive for a long time. it seems to be growing in size weekly. if no action up till now has turned someone away from #gamergate, it's unlikely anything will.

looking at the analytics, #gamergate use is up to 100k+ mentions per day. of course, more of those are going to be negative reactions, now that it's hitting the front page of cnn, nyt, huffpost etc but the base is growing as well.

Engaged with a gamergater on twitter yesterday.

Apparently, according to this guy, wanting to "destroy feminists" is not being anti-women. Because feminism is about equality for both sexes.

I... what?

Oersted

when this whole thing started i had some sympathy for the sentiments being expressed by the gamergate crowd. i don't use twitter and my involvement was limited to this thread mostly but i still took a peek out at twitter to see what was up. it seemed like they were actually trying to do something and it was possible that the zoe harassment was done by some outliers of the same group. as it's progressed, it's obvious that this isn't true. while the #gamergate hashtag doesn't seem to be used to harass anyone, the movement itself has become a cover for a massive harassment campaign targeted almost exclusively at women in the gaming industry.

unfortunately, the people who bought into the hashtag during it's infancy and having been adding on since then will keep this alive for a long time. it seems to be growing in size weekly. if no action up till now has turned someone away from #gamergate, it's unlikely anything will.

looking at the analytics, #gamergate use is up to 100k+ mentions per day. of course, more of those are going to be negative reactions, now that it's hitting the front page of cnn, nyt, huffpost etc but the base is growing as well.

Well, no. It started as harassment campaign. Not some outlier stuff, it is the very core.

Guys please excuse me ignorance to this subject matter but I have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone who supports Gamergate for the purpose of fighting corruption in game Journalism is also a bad person because few people who support this movement are also misogynists ?

2. Will "stopping" Gmaergate will actually stop these people ?

All we can do is shine a light on the debate. We did that with Jack Thompson too, and maybe it got him more time in the spotlight than he had been getting, but that way everyone got to see how fricking crazy he was, and he got disbarred for life.

The more eyes on this, the less people GamerGate have left to try to dupe. It's better people hear about it from CNN in the same breath as death threats and anti feminism than it is they hear about it from a friend who has bought in. It's just really ugly and people are being dropped in all the crossfire... but the harm of doing nothing is, I think, greater.

Their list of people to support isn't growing at nearly the same rate as people they are themselves labelling enemies. And that's going to continue to be true, because however they see their goals 'We don't want political agendas like feminism forced into gaming and we think everyone doing it must be in collusion' most people read that and see 'We don't want women to have equal rights'.

Which however GamerGate define anti feminism, is how I think most people understand it.

Orayn

Guys please excuse me ignorance to this subject matter but I have a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone who supports Gamergate for the purpose of fighting corruption in game Journalism is also a bad person because few people who support this movement are also misogynists ?

Give me an example of the supposed corruption that's being fought, because all I've seen GG do is spew anti-feminist rhetoric and try to go after sites and individuals for being "SJW."

It started as a sexist harassment campaign and it still is one. All they've done is recruit a bunch of suckers by telling them it was about something else.

I spoke with some GamerGate people yesterday. They didn't deny that the movement was started by anti feminists, and while they claimed not to be anti feminists themselves, the two people I spoke to also said that they had no issues at all with the anti feminists within the movement.

If someone who cares about corruption in game journalism wants to use a hash tag, I think they'd spend more time talking about the issues they really care about if they didn't use the hash tag of a group that was started by anti feminists and that openly welcomes anti feminists.

But all the people I spoke to yesterday clearly felt more strongly about people inserting their 'agenda' into gaming than they felt about corruption in the press, so I'm not sure how many of these 'genuine' people are left, if there were many in the first place.

The Technomancer

I don't think I'd call them a "bad person" but I definitely think they need to stop for a second and look both at the company they're keeping and, crucially, how both the majority of effort and the majority of sucess has been towards misogynistic aims. If you honestly care about ethics, GamerGate is not for you. As the documentation of its inception shows, it certainly wasn't the focus of its founders

On your second question, we can't stop these people from thinking what they think, but we can help ensure that everyone understands what they really stand for, and that will help prevent them achieve their anti feminist goals.

Patryn

9ZFqhvk.png

Thanks Gawker writer Sam Biddle. Thanks Gawker.

https://twitter.com/samfbiddle if you want to try to figure out the context to see if it makes what he says make sense.

Gawker writers (especially those on the mothership site) specialize in being total assholes. It's their schtick. Hell, the Gawker EIC at one point made a post on the front page at one point admitting that they were changing their posting style to throwing stuff on the wall with cheap and quick posts to see what sticks and doing whatever they could to get clicks.

Does this help matters? No.

But this guy writes about Silicon Valley, not gaming. He doesn't give a shit if he riles up gamers. Half his job is trolling, practically. He just normally trolls startups and VCs.

GG's method of "fighting corruption" is inherently conspiratorial and counter productive.

Thanks to GG it's been impossible to have a proper journalism thread on neogaf like we've had for ages.

Outspoken media watchdogs like Jim Sterling (and someone related to the doritosgate incident, lost the name) are against GG exactly for this reason.

--

Spreading conspiratorial misinformation that leads to a significant increase in harassment and tension is not a good thing, so should not be represented as simply "fighting corruption".

Blyr

Banned

1. Are they bad people? No. Just misguided. I was one of them. They need to wake up to the reality of the situation however and understand what's going on though.

2. Will it stop the people who are trying to actively hurt people? No. Will it make things a LOT more difficult for them? Yes. People who are standing up against #GamerGate are being painted as targets. If you enter the tag and don't agree, a few gamergaters will appear to "educate" you on the subject. If you still don't agree, more show up. They start dogpiling on you.

Additionally, your tweets might be screencapped (with your name and twitter handle in full view) and then shared around, so that everyone in the "gamergate" network will eventually see it due to the fact that they're all following eachother, so even more people will hop in to "educate" you. Some people might not take so kindly to what you have to say.

If you're a more prominent figure and you're outspoken against #GamerGate, you better believe you'll be screencapped and you'll have a lot more than "education" waiting for you. If we remove the people who support #GamerGate, though? We remove that network of easily painted targets from the real misogynists.

If all of the people who genuinely care about ethics and journalism are gone, all of the "good people" have left, they'll no longer have the mask of "good apples" to hide behind, and all that's left will be the true core of the tag, and the driving force that's been behind it the entire time.

Septic360

Banned
Why the fuck did I just watch a 27 minute video about pro-GG people and hope that it was insightful? There are so many holes to pick, like even just the simple accusation that articles were saying all gamers were misogynists. Or that we should not talk about women in relation to GG.

Is this the HuffPo video that loads of people on Twitter are criticising?

Nepotism, huh? I don't think this Gemma knows what that word means...

OH MY GOD she mentioned (09:28) Bayonetta 2 and why calling the game incredibly sexist "shouldn't be in an objective review".

At least the host tried his best, and his response to "objective reviews" was good.

Gemma (10:48) gives an example of a "fantastic critic and it's Jennie right here!" /facepalm

(13:10) Jennie lists the websites "that are involved in this corrupt journalism" which are "prominent figures of the gaming journalism industry today" "who need to be told off, it's not right what they're doing" and NeoGAF comes up WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT (btw as she's reading the names of the websites, you can hear in her tone that she doesn't read these websites or is much familiar with them)

(16:37) "If you go to 8chan...I encourage you to check it out" no thanks lol

(20:36) Georgina: "In general, a lot of gamergaters are looking for the inclusion of women within videogames...from what I've heard of developers and stuff, they've said they feel very welcome within the gaming industry" So then what was the point of #1reasonwhy and other such movements if women developers feel welcome? Come on.

"The vast vast vast majority of them are pro-feminism or want to see more women in gaming"
4MUCOM2.gif

(22:35) Jemma "All we want to do is play games" then just go play them! But when you're on the internet discussing games, you're not playing games so can we just drop this silly line of argument? And that stupid spin on the Miyamoto picture? People don't seem to understand what politics means.
ih7DMCBrDdUrN.png

(23:09) "What are the structural issues that need to be addressed [in the gaming industry]?"
"Publicists giving journalists money to give their game a very good score" no examples given whatsoever of anything currently. Do these people know that most gaming websites have codes of ethics and separation of ads versus editorial?

Notice how no specific cases are actually cited, other than the name of "corrupt" websites.

Yeah fair enough but do you think they're cute?

gogosox82

I think at this point #gamergate actually impedes anyone who actually wants to discuss games journalism issues since the focus of anymore of anyone who posts in that hash tag either talks about evil feminazis trying to ruin their games or some vague phrasing of ethics in games journalism but never actual issues that they have a problem with. So I feel the people actually care about it should start a new tag so that they can talk about it because there's literally no substantive dialog going on in that tag in regards games journalism and ethics.

. So I feel the people actually care about it should start a new tag so that they can talk about it because there's literally substantive dialog going on in that tag in regards games journalism and ethics.

People who actually care and use the tag should learn how to do basic fact checking for starters.

dumbo

Nearly 300 pages o_O. AFAIK:
- sexism in gaming and gaming culture is a problem (and, apparently, in development).
- gaming journalists/reviewers have a problem. I don't think they're corrupt, but it's fair to say that they don't have a great reputation and, equally, that youtube is standing ready to take their place if they can't work it out.
- stereotyping a group is a stupid thing to do, and never leads to a good outcome.

Is that debateable? I guess it can be... although this thread doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of those.

The other issue has nothing to do with gaming:
- hate speech, harassment and death threats on the internet are not dealt with properly.

Whether it's the daughter of a UK TV presenter receiving rape threats, an English footballer being told to 'go back to Jamaica', umpteen other footballers being racially/homophobically abused, parents of a missing schoolgirl being blamed for her death, campaigners for a woman on a UK banknote being threatened with rape/murder, gamergate campaigners threatened with rape/murder etc.

GG could vanish off the face of the earth, and it will not stop people being abused on the internet - it will simply mean that a different set of people are being abused for another senseless reason (or "abused without a hashtag that contains the word gamer" - does that 'wash our hands of the mess'? or something?).

There's a very serious problem, and yet that's not the problem anyone appears to talk about? Instead it seems to be an "I'm more outraged than you" thread?

Let me just state my general outrage at the universe :(.

Oersted

For being out of nothing besides curiousity, your questions are surprisingly (?) loaded.

1. Which corruption? How are they fighting it? And yeah, GG started as harassment campaign. It is not just coincidentally a few people.

ICKE

Banned
Engaged with a gamergater on twitter yesterday.

Apparently, according to this guy, wanting to "destroy feminists" is not being anti-women.

I... what?

A vast majority of women in my faculty (law school Helsinki uni) saw feminism as something negative when asked about it. I was slightly surprised but a lot of driven women do have that mindset. I think labeling people as misogynist or anti-women, because they dislike feminism might not be the best approach. Though in this Internet culture the hate train has clearly taken over, it's not like any of the loons are aiming for a constructive discussion...

http://waxy.org/2014/10/gamergate_schadenfreude/

Good article here. Gamergate is running out of heroes. Sorry, can't quote because I'm on my phone.
I am incredibly proud to have my name tossed into that list of "fallen heroes." What amazing company.

That last point sums it up, too. They see everyone they admire look at this and say "fuck no," yet don't understand the problem may, in fact, have something to do with the poison they've attached themselves to. Robert Florence should have been the moment the penny dropped, but they see only betrayal when they don't get submission.

- sexism in gaming and gaming culture is a problem (and, apparently, in development).
- gaming journalists/reviewers have a problem. I don't think they're corrupt, but it's fair to say that they don't have a great reputation and, equally, that youtube is standing ready to take their place if they can't work it out.
- stereotyping a group is a stupid thing to do, and never leads to a good outcome.

Is that debateable? I guess it can be... although this thread doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of those.

- hate speech, harassment and death threats on the internet are not dealt with properly.

Whether it's the daughter of a UK TV presenter receiving rape threats, an English footballer being told to 'go back to Jamaica', umpteen other footballers being racially/homophobically abused, parents of a missing schoolgirl being blamed for her death, campaigners for a woman on a UK banknote being threatened with rape/murder, gamergate campaigners threatened with rape/murder etc.

GG could vanish off the face of the earth, and it will not stop people being abused on the internet - it will simply mean that a different set of people are being abused for another senseless reason (or "abused without a hashtag that contains the word gamer" - does that 'wash our hands of the mess'? or something?).

There's a very serious problem, and yet that's not the problem anyone appears to talk about? Instead it seems to be an "I'm more outraged than you" thread?

This is a gaming community, so naturally we focus on the misogyny we see right here in our own community. There's nothing suspicious or confusing about it.

While other communities are worse than gaming, others are better, and we think we, as gamers, can help our community become more welcoming to women and minorities. Gaming has specific problems worthy of their own discussion. That's exactly what Anita does.

I don't see whats wrong with wanting to deal with our own issues, or wanting to make gaming as welcoming as some of the better communities in that regard.

Oersted

Youtubers are not a really good answer to gaming journalisms problems. On the contruary, actually.

You cannot solve issues like abuse and harassment on a worldwide scale, nobody has that power.

We focus on harassment within gaming because we feel like we're part of the gaming community & see ourselves as responsible for making sure that this particular community is harassment free. (something the gaming community as a whole has clearly failed at.)

In-group policing is and has always been an extremely effective method to reduce harassment.

marrec

Banned
Yeah fair enough but do you think they're cute?

This is possibly the dumbest most irrelevant question that's been asked in this thread. At least top 10.

he was referring to the original comment which was basically "check out this video of cute girls :))

Well Septic360 was the person who was all up on the cute girls to begin with.

Just wanted to point out that reducing the idiocy included in that video by focusing on how cute they are instead of all the stuff Mess pointed out was silly.

Though I know it was probably tongue in cheek a bit.

I am incredibly proud to have my name tossed into that list of "fallen heroes." What amazing company.

That last point sums it up, too. They see everyone they admire look at this and say "fuck no," yet don't understand the problem may, in fact, have something to do with the poison they've attached themselves to. Robert Florence should have been the moment the penny dropped, but they see only betrayal when they don't get submission.

Morning Jim. A GG advocate told me yesterday that the reason they don't trust you is because you used to make sexist jokes, and now repent. Apparently that was a 'flip flop' meaning that they don't have to listen to any points you make ever again, because how can they trust that any of them are what you really believe.

Apparently Movie Bob, Will Wheaton and Joss Whedon also used to be women haters and can no longer be trusted since repenting. And you know, it's not because they don't hate women now that means they can't be trusted. It's that they had an opinion and changed it.

You see, apparently you guys are all just being pro feminist to damage control your reputations, so therefor nothing you ever say ever again has to be responded to.

But they're totally not an irrational hate group and it's totally unfair to characterize them as being an anti feminists. They aren't anti feminists! They merely welcome anti feminists into their group (started by anti feminists) with wide open arms. That doesn't mean anything? Right?

The more people that see 'reason' like that, the better. It's no wonder that as they gain visibility that people coming out against them far far outpace new people joining the cause.

I love that you recognize that upsetting these people that you're doing something right.

The Technomancer

This is possibly the dumbest most irrelevant question that's been asked in this thread. At least top 10.

Well Septic360 was the person who was all up on the cute girls to begin with.

Just wanted to point out that reducing the idiocy included in that video by focusing on how cute they are instead of all the stuff Mess pointed out was silly.

Though I know it was probably tongue in cheek a bit.

Oh whoops, I missed that. But you're right, it is rather patronizing

KTallguy

Banned
A vast majority of women in my faculty (law school Helsinki uni) saw feminism as something negative when asked about it. I was slightly surprised but a lot of driven women do have that mindset. I think labeling people as misogynist or anti-women, because they dislike feminism might not be the best approach. Though in this Internet culture the hate train has clearly taken over, it's not like any of the loons are aiming for a constructive discussion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rymHYhlbBmw

This is the video you want to show them. Feminism is not a dirty word. It's a call for equality.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/10/gamergate-is-an-attack-on-ethical-journalism/

This is a pretty good argument that gamer gate may say it is about ethics in journalism, but their actions are the exact OPPOSITE of that. Which means, in the end, gamer gate is really just about hate.

A GG advocate told me yesterday that the reason they don't trust you is because you used to make sexist jokes, and now repent. Apparently that was a 'flip flop' meaning that they don't have to listen to any points you make ever again, because how can they trust that any of them are what you really believe.

So they don't listen to people who have matured.

Yeah, that sounds perfectly appropriate for a GG advocate. They seem perfectly fine remaining stagnant in their own introspection.

GamerJM

Banned
Morning Jim. A GG advocate told me yesterday that the reason they don't trust you is because you used to make sexist jokes, and now repent. Apparently that was a 'flip flop' meaning that they don't have to listen to any points you make ever again, because how can they trust that any of them are what you really believe.

Apparently Movie Bob, Will Wheaton and Joss Whedon also used to be women haters and can no longer be trusted since repenting. And you know, it's not because they don't hate women now that means they can't be trusted. It's that they had an opinion and changed it.

You see, apparently you guys are all just being pro feminist to damage control your reputations, so therefor nothing you ever say ever again has to be responded to.

But they're totally not an irrational hate group and it's totally unfair to characterize them as being an anti feminists. They aren't anti feminists! They merely welcome anti feminists into their group (started by anti feminists) with wide open arms. That doesn't mean anything? Right?

The more people that see 'reason' like that, the better. It's no wonder that as they gain visibility that people coming out against them far far outpace new people joining the cause.

I love that you recognize that upsetting these people that you're doing something right.

One time a GamerGater told me that I shouldn't be trusted because I made a joke post on another website years ago saying that I don't care about journalistic integrity.

Why would we need to damage control our reputations by apologizing for our asshole years? By their rhetoric, GamerGate is the majority, the ones who will control the course of this industry. By their rhetoric, if all we cared about was PR, we'd be on their side, because they're so numerous and content creators live or die by their approval.

Why the fuck would they think I, someone who has publicly and regularly savaged the "flip flop" fallacy, be swayed by extremists who believe opinions are set in stone and must never be changed for fear of looking weak? I've railed against that idiocy for years.

It still absolutely baffles me that they are so shocked and disheartened to not have the support of people who have denounced GG's behavior years in advance of GG even being a thing.

Part of why I have zero problem upsetting these people (if they even ARE upset and aren't just feigning offense as part of their little script) is that they demonstrate, with every argument against their "fallen heroes," that they were never fans to begin with. To be shocked that you don't have Felicia Day on your side, or Adam Sessler, or Rab Florence, or Trudy Cooper, is to fundamentally misunderstand their work, to have never really paid attention to them.

GGers frame my refusal to back them as a betrayal. I say if you expected me and others to fall in line with what's becoming more and more of an irrational hate mob, we're not the ones who sold our people out.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

Actually this kind of thinking is part of the problem. People have to clean their own houses. If you let your house fall to shit because so many other houses look like crap, then your house still looks like shit. Harassment happens where harassment is tolerated. And part of tolerating it is accepting that "it'll just happen anywhere, no matter the reason." That normalizes it. Saying I shouldn't have to clean my house because nobody else will clean their house is self defeating.

ICKE

Banned
This is the video you want to show them. Feminism is not a dirty word. It's a call for equality.

Thanks for the link, going to check it out later as my mobile is dying. But I know a lot of women who are outright hostile towards feminism as it exists today, some of them in my immediate family. Individuals who have successful business careers or are house wives like my mother in law. That being said, my artist friends seem to be on the opposite side. I don't know what purpose this post serves but it's just weird to see this divide and it feels like it is growing or perhaps it is just the Internet playing it's part? Everyone is so mad and a lot of people don't even understand why....

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I asked this in the OT thread, but people here probably have more knowledge:

As you can tell from my posting history, I'm as anti-GG as they come. And I've loved every one of Anita's videos.

However, has she ever addressed that video of her saying she didn't like games at all? Whenever I hear her talk about games, she's always describing the games she's played recently and seems pretty knowledgeable about them. She also says she's played games her whole life, which that video of her definitely seems to contradict. Was there a context that's missing from that video?

Did she just start playing games in earnest recently? It seems to me that she should just come out and say that, as it would give these GGers one less "conspiracy" to go on about.

This is NOT a "hey, I'm just asking questions hur hur!" thing. I'm genuinely curious.

Video here, skip to :54 to avoid robot mansplain voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPIu3sDkEw

tchocky

Apparently Movie Bob, Will Wheaton and Joss Whedon also used to be women haters and can no longer be trusted since repenting.

Wait when was Joss a woman hater this is from his wiki page

In college, Whedon studied the theory called "womb envy", a concept he says observes "a fundamental thing that women have something men don't, the obvious being an ability to bear children, and the resilience to hang in as parents. I don't understand why or how anyone ever pulled off the whole idea of 'women are inferior'. Men not only don't get what's important about what women are capable of, but in fact they fear it, and envy it, and want to throw stones at it, because it's the thing they can't have"

Maybe he hated women when he was in kindergarten, he is probably the highest profile male feminist in hollywood over the last 20 years.

dumbo

You cannot solve issues like abuse and harassment on a worldwide scale, nobody has that power.

We focus on harassment within gaming because we feel like we're part of the gaming community & see ourselves as responsible for making sure that this particular community is harassment free. (something the gaming community as a whole has clearly failed at.)

Meh:
- it's rather clear that GAF isn't exactly representative of GG. Is there anyone in this thread that considers themselves a 'GG member' or have anything to do with it?
- the horrendous campaign against women on banknotes didn't exactly come from the UK banknote collecting society. I somehow doubt a note in the newsletter was going to change the thugs who were doing it.
- as people are seeing, a large number of 'new-GG' seem to have nothing to do with gaming, they just see a good way to get publicity and ride a bandwagon.

The internet is rather a cesspit, and personally 'stopping GG' is akin to sweeping a dead cat under the carpet.

But I'm not American, and I don't see 'free speech' as a huge barrier to actually fixing things.

Atrophis

GGers frame my refusal to back them as a betrayal. I say if you expected me and others to fall in line with what's becoming more and more of an irrational hate mob, we're not the ones who sold our people out.

But Jim, why don't you understand our GRAVE ETHICAL CONCERNS with positive reviews of Gone Home?

You're all about sticking up for the consumer so HOW DARE YOU NOT CALL OUT A WOMAN FOR HAVING SEX with a MAN who WRITES WORDS on an INTERNET BASED gaming publication.

Can you not hear my frothing outrage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom