• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

So I got my Elite back. They actually sent me the same one back except they put a broken face plate back on. Its missing the little swing door that covers the front usb ports. @!$%!

dirtmonkey37 said:
Fuck.

This will be the third time I send it in if it red-rings. Is there any way I can get some compensation of some sort from Microsoft? I want a free game or something if I have to send in my 360 again. This is absolutely ridiculous.

You're ONLY on your third return? Good luck getting anything! I've got 4 returns under my belt already, and with the increase in noise coming from my 360, number 5 should be around the corner!

Iksenpets

Banned
So my 360 died over a month ago at long last, really close to the three year expiration date on its warranty. The first replacement I got died the second time I turned it on. I just got my second replacement and it won't even turn on. Wtf Microsoft?

Rolf NB

rykomatsu said:
2. in the dashboard/nxe, after a few moments, the entire screen dims ever so slightly (and stays there the entire time afterwards...no screensaver/autodim turned on on my TV)
This sounds like the "dynamic contrast" that most TVs currently on the market implement. Long story short it's a worthless, counter-productive feature that somehow allows manufacturers to write bigger contrast ratio numbers on their boxes.
On many models you can't even turn it off. If you're halfway lucky it's somewhere in a hidden service menu (hello, LG).

As a rule of thumb, if your TV is an LCD and advertised with anything above 1500:1 contrast ratio, you're a victim of dynamic contrast.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
RedNumberFive said:
You're ONLY on your third return? Good luck getting anything! I've got 4 returns under my belt already, and with the increase in noise coming from my 360, number 5 should be around the corner!

Thankfully I played HL2: Ep. 2 without any freezes last night. If my 360 dies, Microsoft's customer support line in India better prepare itself for hell. :D

It could be that my 360 is next to our heating vent. When it froze five times in a row, it just so happened that the heater was running too, possibly warming the 360 and its power supply beyond the point of functionality.

Nose Master

Ugh. I'm on my third return. I just got mine back a few months ago from a bad disc drive, and now the wireless controllers aren't syncing anymore. The wired controllers work on the 360, and the wireless controllers sync on other 360's. :(. There isn't an easy fix for this, is there?

Dougald

Well, after 2 1/2 years going strong (I actually thought my 360 was going to make it), I finally got the red ring today trying to play some Viva Pinata 2.. It still boots to dashboard but I'm not having any luck playing disc-based games now....

Guess I'd better call up Microsoft tomorrow then! I look forward to becoming a part of the club. Anyone know the turnaround time on getting back a refurb machine in the UK? I'm wondering whether to have the machine sent to my University or Home address

2DMention

Banned
Shit. I turned on my 360 to play a fresh copy of SFIV, and 3 red rings. Fuccccccck. Oh well, more time for DQ5.

Anybody have a direct link to request a coffin? Do you have to send your HDD with it?

NVM. Quick link here

_Angelus_

Banned
I've had like 4 freezes with my 2 year old 360 this week. Once from Two Worlds,an already buggy game,so I'll let that pass.

The other 3 times though its been random,but those 3 times I was on XBox Live. Twice when I was browsing the arcade section,and the very last time it was when I was checking out the leader boards for Sega Rally Revo. Ok,so maybe this is an XBox Live issue? Has Live been known to lock up XBoxs for anyone else? I mean I've let it sit for two minutes and nothing moves,I can't even access the dashboard with the Xbox symbol on the pad.

2DMention

Banned
Went online to request a repair, and it says invalid serial number. Fuuuuuuck.

Now I'll have to call the fuckers. How long will I have to be on the phone with them? I really wanted to avoid calling them.

Update: Called them and they sent me an email. I couldn't log in online to get my shipping label (Why the fuck don't they just email you the PDF?)

Had him cancel out my old repair request and open a new one. Looks like you can't access your info with a mac.

Coffin's on the way.

storl026

System updated today and downloaded the new Burnout Paradise 1.7 patch. Fifteen minutes into the game, I get crosshatched and glitched textures and polygons. I turn it off and on again, and I get one red light and an E74 error.

Magik

Well, my 2nd 360 is dead and it seems like my Play and Charge kit is responsible.

My 360 was on and running fine until I plugged in the USB cable and BOOM! 3 Red Rings. I turn off the system and try turning it on but the damn system is completely dead and will not turn on at all.

All because of the shitty Play and Charge kit which can't even keep a charge anymore.

Fucking MS and their shitty products.

I honestly don't vent often because I'm an even-keeled individual, but I have to let off some steam on this.

My first console I ever owned had the 3RL back in October 08. I sent it in to get repaired, which was for free of course. I'm under the assumption that the repaired console was a refurbished console since it didn't have the same serial number on it as my old one. Now here I am exactly 4 months later with this console having disk reading issues when it comes to reading games. It reads them as DVDs instead of games, and reads DVDs correctly. Basically, I have a bulky DVD player right now which has two remote controls and Xbox Live access. I've just got off the phone with customer service telling me that this repaired console has run out of it's warranty after 4 months. According to the operator, the repaired consoles that are sent out for replacements for the 3RL consoles are only covered for 3 months. 3 months?? Seriously? You buy a new console and you automatically have a year warranty AND are covered for 3RL for three, BUT you get a replacement for 3RL *which is known problematic issue by Microsoft* and your replacement only has 3 months of coverage!? This replacement is probably some refurbished console that has seen more wear and tear then it's brand new counterparts....3 MONTHS warranty for you!

Is it just me or is this bad business??? The fact that I have to send in my first console for a serious malfunction that has cost Microsoft millions of dollars, an issue which they are trying to reconcile, which is much appreciated and the right thing to do. Only to get a console that lasts 4 damn months before breaking. One that is only covered by a ridiculously low 3 month warranty. Personally I believe that these console should be covered by a warranty ranging between 6 months to 1 year. That would be considered good business to me, not this bullshit. I am soooo not a happy camper right now, and I believe I have a right to be.

Quick edit: $100 to get this fixed. Unbelievable.

I'm not done with this. I'll be calling tomorrow so I can get someone from the U.S., because I'm not going down without a fight on this issue. I shouldn't have to pay. The only thing that I would pay for is shipping, end of story.

alright, my 360 has been acting up for months now. it's had a lot of trouble reading discs, even on brand new games. I'd pop in the disc, and instead of the "start game" option, it just says "open tray" as if there's no disc in there at all (even though I heard it attempting to read the disc). it was easily remedied, though: all i had to do was open the tray and close it again, and the machine would read it on the second try, or sometimes the third.

i've always been nervous that this was a sign of early onset RROD, but I figured that as long as it worked, it's no big deal. now though, no matter how many times i try, the disc simply won't be read. i finally decided i shouldn't have to stand for this after buying an elite, so i would set up a repair. microsoft extended their warranty to 3 years a while back, so i should have been safely inside the zone for a free repair.

but when i go to set it up, they say that the 3 year warranty only applies if my console has the dreaded "3 red lights." any other problem and i'm out of warranty.

so great, now i have to keep powering on this busted POS and hope i get RROD within the next two years so i can repair for free. :( just when i got SF4, too...apparently my friend had this happen to his Xbox, also. he said that it was just a bad disc drive.

i feel a little bit guilty, though. i'm one of those gamers that leaves their system on overnight occasionally, and in the case of the 360, i've sometimes even left it idling at the dashboard for several days in a row. so i probably have no one to blame but myself, which just makes it hurt that much more. i had this problem with a gamecube last generation, my wii's harddrive got totally fried somehow (i had to send it to nintendo just to have them format it, killing all my savedata), my PS2 is one of those early models that has trouble reading certain kinds of CDs, and my DS Lite's common "cracked hinge" problem turned into a less common "decapitated top screen" problem.

so yeah, i'm really tired of dealing with repairs and shoddy systems. aside from leaving my systems on for extended periods of time, something i've since stopped doing, i treat them all with extensive care and gentleness. i never drop my handhelds, and my consoles just sit safely on their respective shelves. so is this just bad luck, or what? every problem i listed is apparently at least semi-common (with the exception of the decapitated DS Lite o_O) so maybe it's not my fault after all. <.<

2DMention

Banned
Fuck it. I can't wait three weeks while my shit gets repaired. I have SFIV and SO4 to play, and by the time it gets fixed, my part time lay off will be close to over. So I'm just going to buy a Pro tomorrow. I wanted to upgrade my HDD anyway. Once my old one gets repaired, it's going on CL. Ordered a transfer cable from M$.

Is it a huge pain in the ass to transfer content and licenses between consoles?

2DMention

Banned
Bought a new one today and it looks like a Jasper. 12V 5.7A on the brick.

Coffin came today, as soon as that comes back, I'm doing a license transfer and HDD transfer and I'm selling it on CL.

devilhawk

I am entering the club. I just sent away for a coffin.

I have a November 07 Pro with HDMI. It froze up on me and flashed the 3 red lights when I powered it back on. Later it began to work but freeze often. It has now gone dead with immediate Rrod. A few questions if I can. Will I get back my exact console? Are they going to send me a refurb console? I am guaranteed to get one with HDMI, right? What do I do with my hard drive, meaning does it get sent in the coffin?

Knowing how many people have had problems I am surprised there isn't a neogaf Rrod faq of sorts. If there is, please link.

I got my replacement 360 today from Microsoft, not through customer services I might add. Manufacture date 2005. Great, this is the 3rd one I've got and I know this one will not last much more than a year.

So MS sends me a white replacement faceplate for the broken black one they shipped with my rrod. I call the girl and she gives me the same reference number as before and she told me they already sent a new black one. I fricken told her its white and she said dont worry they shipped a black one. I asked her how they would know to send me another replacement before I even called.

So now I have spent time calling 3 times for a freakin faceplate.

Matix

So after almost 3 years in, I finally experienced my first RROD last night (on my Zephyr Elite 360 model no less). Thanks to this thread I've just registered my console, and the coffin for it should be shipped here within 4 days... hopefully. Sadly though, my 360 decided to die during my SF4 addiction (I've only had it for a week) and right before I got chance to play SO4 (which I just received today). Guess I can't complain to much though, since I never had to deal with RROD before (even though I'm sure this won't be my last). Still, I have a few concerns/questions...

- What is the usual time-frame for repair (is it possible that I might get my 360 back before the release of RE5)?

- While your console is covered with the 3-Year RROD warranty, is it extended after each repair?

- I do plan on purchasing a Jasper 360 down the line (probably around the time when my RROD warranty is completely expired), but *ONLY* a Elite unit. So IYO, when should I "Jump In" and look for an Elite Jasper 360?

dave_d

Matix said:
Still, I have a few concerns/questions...

- What is the usual time-frame for repair (is it possible that I might get my 360 back before the release of RE5)?

- While your console is covered with the 3-Year RROD warranty, is it extended after each repair?

- I do plan on purchasing a Jasper 360 down the line (probably around the time when my RROD warranty is completely expired), but *ONLY* a Elite unit. So IYO, when should I "Jump In" and look for an Elite Jasper 360?

Well lets see. Each time mine was "repaired" it was about 3 weeks. (1 week to get there via ups, 1 week for them to "fix" it, and 1 week for it to get shipped back.) I say "repair" since they actually gave me a different 360. (They basically just swap it and if they manage to fix it later on somebody else gets it.) That 3 year thing I don't think gets extended. In my case the first one they shipped to me was broken so I had to ship it back again.(But it was quicker since I had the box they shipped the broken one to me. It was just print out a new label. The 2nd one worked correctly though.) Personally I'd wait awhile. Supposedly the final revision of the 360 called Valhalla is coming out in I think 2010. So probably when your XBox goes you could pick up one of those instead.

NYR

So I got my "new/replacement" 360 today.

It has a manufacturer date of 11-20-08.

Of course, no HDMI, so I am pretty sure this date is 100% bullshit and this is just a fixed replacement circa 2006/2007 with a new sticker on the back. :\

Any way to tell and make sure which version I got?

It's most likely not a manufacture date. It's usually a refurb date.

If it is a manufacture date, it could be an Opus motherboard which has no HDMI but is basically the Falcon motherboard. I don't know if the PSU socket changes with them like the falcons did, or if you can use the flashlight test to check either.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My Christmas 2006 360 just crapped out yesterday. A couple freezes, then a red ring. I sent away for a coffin, too. I haven't had any problems with the system for a loooong time (maybe for one year) and I haven't been playing it much the past few months so I was honestly surprised.

I'll be sure to take off the faceplate when I send it out. I am hoping to get a model with HDMI at least but from reading some places it seems that is not guaranteed. Fucking Microsoft... I don't want another crap Zephyr, toss those in the garbage, give me Falcon at least.

Shoogoo

Not dead yet, but my 360 has been doing weird things lately. I had a rrod on Fable 2 about 1 month ago and since then it's been on the edge;

- I'm currently playing Mass Effect and altough I have it installed on the hdd, the 360 is very noisy.
- Yesterday I had purple and green textures in the Thorian complex but it disappeared once I left that place.
-And today, after a loading the game was slow as fuck. I had to go back to the dashboard and reload the game.
- Plus the fact that I have random slowdowns from time to time, and the music hiccups when loading or saving (something I don't remember experiencing from my first playthrough)

Should I prep the post box? Do I actually need it to be dead before I can send it?
I had an E74 in november 08, I'd hope it would last more than 3 months..

Dorrin

Well I finally joined the club. I got my 360 Pro back in Nov of 2007 and it was manufactured on 9-6-07. Last night I fired it up to finished the last two bosses on Prince of Persia and bam one blinking red light and E 74 error code.

The one year warranty is expired so I'm out 100 bucks... I'm suppose to have a coffin sent to me shortly. With RE5 coming out next Friday I'm pretty bummed. I live in Missouri so I'm not that far from the repair center but I doubt its going to get turned around by next weekend.

I guess I will rent Boom Blox for my Wii and give that a try.

Out 100 bucks, but I thought it was extended to a 3 year warranty.... Or maybe that's only for the RRoD and they stopped the later 360s from using that as an indicator to make some money or something...

Cowie

grumble grumble grumble

good thing MadWorld comes out next week =\

sent it off today, the day it RRODed at a ups store.. probably should be making MS pay for everything out of pocket but damned if i'm not impatient. I mentioned that I had an HDMI port in the request, and I took some pictures as proof, but I've got this feeling i'll get screwed out of it anyway.

devilhawk

Update on mine. I got the coffin. A few days after I mailed it, they received it, fixed it, and mailed it out in under 8 hours. I am not expecting my same console and they likely just sent me a different one.

Fuck.

Launch system just died. I thought I was out of the woods... but I guess I always had a sneaking suspicion that I was on borrowed time.

So... I guess I'm out of warranty. Can anyone tell me if these new-fangled Jasper systems support VGA?

whitehawk

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
My launch Elite finally bit the dust. I'm selling it on Craigslist as dead and I bought a Jasper Arcade unit.
I dont understand. Why not just send it in for free and not buy a new 360.

Anyway, my 360 finally died. Its less than a year old, with the newer chip (not jasper, before that) and has the quietest drive. Its kept in a ventilated area, in cold room.. Yet it still broke. I dont understand.

It still sorta works though. It rrod me, but then it just froze every 5 minutes. I havent tried it in a few days, so maybe it will work for a while so i can have a 360 for march break.

PS: What do you I have to do to get MS to send me free stuff (points, live time etc).

whitehawk

Banned
Okay guys. So whats the best way of sending my 360 in. Should I do it over xbox.com or the phone.

Which ever way gets me free goodies is probably the way Ill go.

whitehawk said:
Okay guys. So whats the best way of sending my 360 in. Should I do it over xbox.com or the phone.

Which ever way gets me free goodies is probably the way Ill go.
phone.

I should know, I'm on my 9th :lol

bottles

vrsokh.jpg

Question: I now have a refurbished 360 after my 1.5 year-old Premium died last month. Do Microsoft ‘reset’ the RROD warranty on this refurbished console, i.e. do I have another 3 years or am I left with 1.5 years?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Can somebody help me on this issue:

My 360 red ringed today. This Xbox just got repaired back in September, but whatever. I figured it would happen eventually. I call up support. The robot tells me to go online for a repair. Support website tells me I have no console registered, so I enter my serial number, which is registered, but not to me apparently.

With my serial number already registered, I call up support again and get to an agent. Through all the broken English, I am told my Xbox is out of warranty and that it's 120 dollars to fix it. Except my Xbox isn't out of warranty. It was just repaired in September and that added a year to the warranty.

This sucks.

dave_d

NYR said:
So I got my "new/replacement" 360 today.

It has a manufacturer date of 11-20-08.

Of course, no HDMI, so I am pretty sure this date is 100% bullshit and this is just a fixed replacement circa 2006/2007 with a new sticker on the back. :\

Any way to tell and make sure which version I got?

The easiest way is to just look at the shipping label and see if it mentions Xenon or Opus. (Previous pages here show the power socket on the Xbox to let you know which one you probably have.)

Anyway kind of disturbing they still haven't worked out the problems yet. (Now I'm thinking even Vahalla won't fix them.)

skybaby said:
Any Jaspers bite the dust yet?
It's going to happen... even if it hasn't already. Remember, even with a "standard" consumer electronics failure rate you'll see 30k machines die for every 1m sold.

OK guys, I got one red light and E74.

I've diagnosed the problem as GPU failure. It's been oncoming - I've had graphics problems on and off for a while.

I've had it for over two years - am I right in thinking the three-year RRoD warranty doesn't apply here? Technical Support's closed here ATM.

:(

RavenFox

Banned
DryEyeRelief said:
I bought a refurb 360 on ebay and it RROD'd. I try get it sent back but then I'm told that the extended warranty expired for this thing. Any advice as to what I should do?
pwned! Why would you buy a refurb 360 no less on ebay?

Sysgen

My fourth has been working for 2 months but now my HD hard drive isn't working. It hangs on System->memory. Sometimes It gets to the utilities screen but then it hangs when I try and clear the cache. I tested the HD on a friends console and it couldn't be read and I tested his HD on my console and it was fine. I was under the assumption that HD problems would display a code but I guess not. I only need a 20gig HD, not interested in anything larger unless it's for a reasonable price. If someones got a 20gig for sale lemme know.

Dorrin

Tranced Shadow said:
OK guys, I got one red light and E74.

I've diagnosed the problem as GPU failure. It's been oncoming - I've had graphics problems on and off for a while.

I've had it for over two years - am I right in thinking the three-year RRoD warranty doesn't apply here? Technical Support's closed here ATM.

:(

You are correct the three-year RRoD doesn't apply, 100 bucks to fix. Just happened to me last week and I was past the 1 year standard warranty.

E74s seem to be getting more common.

dekjo

New club member. Just had my first anal rape by Mircosoft, thank you. Going to go out and celebrate by buying an 80gb PS3 tomorrow. Woohoo!

Dorrin said:
You are correct the three-year RRoD doesn't apply, 100 bucks to fix. Just happened to me last week and I was past the 1 year standard warranty.

E74s seem to be getting more common.

Just set the repair up online and file it as a RRoD repair. They don't check them. I know three people already this year who had E74 errors out of 1-year warranty and did this. They all got new consoles with no hassle or charge.

I've even heard of people sending in dead disc drives as RRoD and getting new consoles back without them being checked.

It seems that the Microsoft policy is to just immediately rip everything apart when they get it back, trash it, and replace everything as fast as possible.

Top Bottom