• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

cbox

So my falcon finally bit the bullet last night :(

Damnit. Will MS send me a refurb for sure? I want a new one.. i bought this thing a couple months ago for fuck sakes.

Boneapart

Banned
The picture out failed on my 360, everyhting still worked, but I just couldn't get any picture. On forums, I've since about 5 other people report the same problem, which leads me to believe it's another common issue with the 360. MS sucks at making hardware, that's for sure. Or rather, they can make good hardware, but they were so hell bent on beating Sony they purposefully cut corners and built it out of cheap materials. Either way, the next Xbox is going to have to be damn good to make me come back.

Barso

Banned
My third elite with the falcon chipset is starting to act weird with grinding noises and a buzzing fan. It is not a refurb and was exchanged at GAME the UK store.
To be honest I am becoming extremely fed up with this.
The only thing that keeps me here is the better performing multi platform titles and if the PS3 version were indeed identical I would sell it straight away.
I actually hate investing any more money in the console but I feel that MS has learnt a valuable lesson and there next console will beat PS4 in every aspect with amazing backwards compatability.
I have a launch 60GB PS3 and apart from the odd HOME freeze it has performed really well.
I honestly can't ever see MS sorting the 360 and I am totally convinced that there are severe problems with the design that can only be fixed with a total hardware redesign.
So if sony is reading this, get the PS3 sorted and 360 is gone.

bottles

How you guys do it I will never know. I had to send my 360 to MS for the first time last week, and I’ve already decided that if it RRODs a second time, I’m gonna buy a PS3. The 360 is a great console, but I don’t want to be one of those guys whose 360s RROD once every year.

That said, I can’t wait till I have my 360 back. I feel like playing some Fallout 3.

Sysgen

My 4th is going well but my friend who bought his first Christmas 07 says his Xbox is freezing constantly. He called MS and they want to charge him something like $90 for the repair.

pr0cs

bottles said:
I had to send my 360 to MS for the first time last week, and I’ve already decided that if it RRODs a second time, I’m gonna buy a PS3. The 360 is a great console, but I don’t want to be one of those guys whose 360s RROD once every year.
If you're going through the refurbished 'circle jerk' (ie: you didn't get a B&M warranty) then I'd say as soon as you get your 360 back to sell it and start over with a different console.
It should be pretty obvious from this thread that Microsoft hasn't had good luck actually 'fixing' the consoles that die so unless you bought an in-store warranty that lets you get a new machine when your current one dies then I'd save the hassle and either buy another new model 360 or simply drop the platform altogether.

bottles

pr0cs said:
If you're going through the refurbished 'circle jerk' (ie: you didn't get a B&M warranty) then I'd say as soon as you get your 360 back to sell it and start over with a different console.
It should be pretty obvious from this thread that Microsoft hasn't had good luck actually 'fixing' the consoles that die so unless you bought an in-store warranty that lets you get a new machine when your current one dies then I'd save the hassle and either buy another new model 360 or simply drop the platform altogether.

That’s good advice, thanks. Perhaps I should sell my Premium and buy an Elite.

I’ve considered making the switch to PS3 (which is looking very tempting) now, but I’m hesitant to sell my library of 360 games. I did that with the N64 and regret it to this day.

Has anyone else done this?

bottles said:

I’ve considered making the switch to PS3 (which is looking very tempting) now, but I’m hesitant to sell my library of 360 games. I did that with the N64 and regret it to this day.

Don't sell a library of good games. If you dump the system, keep your games and just pick up a 360 lite years down the road for posterity. You would think by the time they got out a cheap redesigned lite version that may possibly only require passive cooling and such that it would be rock solid by then.

tirant

Ryuuga said:
Well, my second US 360 kicked then can. It had a system failure (E74). It's way out of warranty and it'll only cost something like $107 CDN to repair, but I figure I'll just save the HDD and pick up a Jasper.

Tell them you got the 3RL. They will fix it for free then.

dave_d

bottles said:

Well I actually already own a PS3 and lately if a game comes out multiplatform I just buy the PS3 version of it since at least it still works.(Knock on wood. It's an original 60GB FWiW) Oh well, my second replacement came today so I wonder if it'll at least work correctly out of the box. (It's a Xenon btw.) I'm guessing it'll break sooner or later but I'm hoping the Vahalla revision is out by then and that it's actually some what reliable.

Flynn

Looking for some advice. I have a broken Elite that's out of warranty. I bought an arcade to replace it and slammed my hard drive onto it and I'm good to go.

I'm considering fixing the broken Elite for $99 bucks and using it as a second console. Is it a pain in the ass to have to consoles that share the same Gamertag? I'm I going to have to go through the recovery process every time I want to play?

pr0cs

Flynn said:
Looking for some advice. I have a broken Elite that's out of warranty. I bought an arcade to replace it and slammed my hard drive onto it and I'm good to go.

I'm considering fixing the broken Elite for $99 bucks and using it as a second console. Is it a pain in the ass to have to consoles that share the same Gamertag? I'm I going to have to go through the recovery process every time I want to play?
Just buy a memory card (I've seen them in the B/S/T thread for $10) and keep your profile on there, otherwise you have to recover the tag which can take a long time if you're active on xbox live.

Wallach

Maybe you guys can help me with this one:

On my roommate's 360, if the console is set to boot to the dashboard, it won't read games. It goes from "reading" back to "open tray" after a few seconds. However, if it's set to boot disc first, it plays games fine.

Any idea what's going on? It's probably still under warranty but it seems like if the drive was actually faulty it wouldn't be reading the discs fine if the dashboard is bypassed.

Flynn

pr0cs said:
Just buy a memory card (I've seen them in the B/S/T thread for $10) and keep your profile on there, otherwise you have to recover the tag which can take a long time if you're active on xbox live.

Okay. I've got one. But I've heard people say that's a good way to lose or corrupt your profile. Not so?

pr0cs

Flynn said:
Okay. I've got one. But I've heard people say that's a good way to lose or corrupt your profile. Not so?
I've been working this way since September or so, never had a problem. I never plug/unplug the module when the machine is on.
It's really the best way to function if you have access to more than one box.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I have a new Jasper 360. I put in The Orange Box today and it froze five times in a row as I tried to load up my save from HL: Episode 2.

I moved the 360 out of the enclosure of my TV cabinet and put it out in the open, on my hardwood floor: it finally loaded my save (without freezing).

I played for thirty minutes and then it froze as it was trying to load up the next part of the a level.

So what's up with this? Is it my 360 or should I just pull out the 360 from the enclosed cabinet-space in which it resides and place it out in the open?

desa

dirtmonkey37 said:
I have a new Jasper 360. I put in The Orange Box today and it froze five times in a row as I tried to load up my save from HL: Episode 2.

I moved the 360 out of the enclosure of my TV cabinet and put it out in the open, on my hardwood floor: it finally loaded my save (without freezing).

I played for thirty minutes and then it froze as it was trying to load up the next part of the a level.

So what's up with this? Is it my 360 or should I just pull out the 360 from the enclosed cabinet-space in which it resides and place it out in the open?

Sounds odd. Before I shit on Microsoft, perhaps your game save or gamer profile is corrupted. Try moving the game save to a memory card or the internal memory and load from there. If that doesn't work, you could delete your gamer profile and recover it back through live.

My Jasper has been working flawlessly so far.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God 360 hardware is such a piece of shit. Anyway, little while ago my Elite died rrod, second console to do it. I have a backup 360 which died also.

Anyway, they basically gave me a new elite from late 2008. Im happy about that, but not with the fact this is 100% destined to die in a year too since its also 16 amps and the zephyr or whatever you call it. You know they could have given me a fucking Jasper instead of delaying my purchase of a new system.

MS is living solely off their software, cause their hardware is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

dirtmonkey37 said:

I was having these same EXACT symptoms in HL2: Ep2. Right at the end of the game no less. After it froze up about a dozen times, it finally gave up and red ringed.

tirant

~Kinggi~ said:
God 360 hardware is such a piece of shit. Anyway, little while ago my Elite died rrod, second console to do it. I have a backup 360 which died also.

Anyway, they basically gave me a new elite from late 2008. Im happy about that, but not with the fact this is 100% destined to die in a year too since its also 16 amps and the zephyr or whatever you call it. You know they could have given me a fucking Jasper instead of delaying my purchase of a new system.

MS is living solely off their software, cause their hardware is a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

16 amp doesn't mean it's not a Falcon. I have a Falcon with the 16amp label.

You should check your power plug:

~Kinggi~

Banned
tirant said:
16 amp doesn't mean it's not a Falcon. I have a Falcon with the 16amp label.

You should check your power plug:

hey, its a Falcon! Makes me feel a little better. But still, will probably die. :(

edit: wait, i cant tell if its a falcon or an opus... they didnt send me a power cord or anything so im using the old one. which i guess means its still a zephyr?? ugh

tirant

~Kinggi~ said:
hey, its a Falcon! Makes me feel a little better. But still, will probably die. :(

edit: wait, i cant tell if its a falcon or an opus... they didnt send me a power cord or anything so im using the old one. which i guess means its still a zephyr?? ugh

Just look at the power socket on your console. Xenon/Zypher power supply works on every model.

Mine was one of the first falcons (2007/08): 16A label, old power supply.

~Kinggi~

Banned
tirant said:
Just look at the power socket on your console. Xenon/Zypher power supply works on every model.

Mine was one of the first falcons (2007/08): 16A label, old power supply.
Whats the discerning differences between the zephyr and the Falcon. Looking at the console adapter is difficult to tell the difference. I see on the falcon it looks like its missing a middle prong.

Threi

notag
~Kinggi~ said:
Whats the discerning differences between the zephyr and the Falcon. Looking at the console adapter is difficult to tell the difference. I see on the falcon it looks like its missing a middle prong.
Zephyrs are 90nm GPU/CPU, while Falcons are 60nm CPU/90nm GPU IIRC

lower power usage and less heat is a result of the smaller die size.

and to anyone who feels bad about getting a falcon: it honestly could have been worse and you could have been sold a Zephyr without knowing it like an individual who will be unnamed...:lol

although i am suprised how solid my Zephyr works. It doesn't seem like it's going to fail anytime soon :O

~Kinggi~

Banned
Threi said:
Zephyrs are 90nm GPU/CPU, while Falcons are 60nm CPU/90nm GPU IIRC

lower power usage and less heat is a result of the smaller die size.
no i know that, what im asking is in relation to the image posted cause im having a hard time telling the difference between the zephyr and the falcon.

Threi

notag
~Kinggi~ said:
no i know that, what im asking is in relation to the image posted cause im having a hard time telling the difference between the zephyr and the falcon.
maybe ASCII art is easier :D:

Zephyr:
Code:
--------
[] [] []
   []
[] [] []

Falcon:
Code:
--------
[] [] []

[] [] []

Jasper:
Code:
---  ---
[] [] []

[] [] []

note the split at the top in the Jasper.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Threi said:
maybe ASCII art is easier :D:

Zephyr:
Code:
--------
[] [] []
   []
[] [] []

Falcon:
Code:
--------
[] [] []

[] [] []

Jasper:
Code:
---  ---
[] [] []

[] [] []

note the split at the top in the Jasper.
Yes! Much better. I gots a Falcon then.

cbox

noob question

360 died, service request put in. They sent me a shipping label for UPS. Now i'm in Canada.... are they sending me a box? or what do i have to do? Can i get a box and do it myself and save the time? or wtf... it wasn't very clear in the emails.

thx

bottles

eternal prize said:
noob question

360 died, service request put in. They sent me a shipping label for UPS. Now i'm in Canada.... are they sending me a box? or what do i have to do? Can i get a box and do it myself and save the time? or wtf... it wasn't very clear in the emails.

thx

AFAIK they don’t send out boxes, so just get your own. At least I had to.

I received a replacement unit today from Microsoft. Happy about the speed of the service (my 360 was picked up on the 7th), but not about the console itself since it’s already making strange noises when I boot it up.

Whooptidoo.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Got my live vision package in the mail yesterday. It came with the camera, a new headset, and a 1 month gold card

Since it was my 4th repair in 3 years ms sent it to me free as 'compensation'

I was thinking of keeping it buy man I bet I could return this to a store since it's brand new...or trade it in at the very least

Deadly

Are the Premium bundles abundant in Jaspers yet? Is there a way to know on the box or is the power cord the only way so far?

rykomatsu

are these signs of an impending rrod? i hope not :( just got the unit in late sept (early sept build)...

2 symptoms when connected via component

1. splash screen is sometimes distorted. logo+background doesn't fill the entire screen. when it goes into dashboard, everything is fine.

2. in the dashboard/nxe, after a few moments, the entire screen dims ever so slightly (and stays there the entire time afterwards...no screensaver/autodim turned on on my TV)

Warranty is a bit of an issue since well...the unit is a JPN unit and I reside in the US about 80% of the year...(won't be going back until late oct/early nov at the earliest this year)

thoughts?

Well, it finally happened...my falcon unit (manufactured Nov 03, 07) just got the RRoD today. I was playing Fable 2, when the game just froze on me. Thinking this was just another typical bug, I restarted the console, and booted the game back up. I was able to load up my character but the game froze after about 10 seconds. The third time I tried it...RRoD.

I already put in a service request, and they're sending me a box. My question is, I'll probably get a refurb or a non Jasper unit, right? I'm wondering if it might be better to sell off the unit I get back from Microsoft and try to find a Jasper arcade unit. I already have a preorder for SO4, and I'd really like to play it when it comes out.

Thoughts?

Tron999 said:
So are there Jasper chipset elites in the wild, yet?

Yep, they most definitely are! I picked up an Arcade jasper today. My 8th 360 passed away late last night :( I said fuck it, and decided to just buy a new one and be done with it. Prolly still get the old one refurb'd, but not sure if it will be covered, since it wasn't RRoD. It kept locking up after about 3 minutes of being on, even if it was just sitting in the dash.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Vustadumas said:
Yep, they most definitely are! I picked up an Arcade jasper today. My 8th 360 passed away late last night :( I said fuck it, and decided to just buy a new one and be done with it. Prolly still get the old one refurb'd, but not sure if it will be covered, since it wasn't RRoD. It kept locking up after about 3 minutes of being on, even if it was just sitting in the dash.

Horrid.

Miburou

When you guys say you're on your Xth Xbox 360, you don't mean you've bought your Xth 360, right, but rather you're counting repairs and replacements, etc.? Because I can't see myself buying any console more than twice, no matter how much I like it.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i went to play Gears 2 and got an update and thought that was odd. Disc read error after that and ive NEVER had disc read error problems before.... Now almost all of my games wont work and there all in perfect condition and worked before i got this mysterious update.

What the fuck!!! i just got my system repaired and got it back Mid january. This makes no sense? This system was perfectly fine all of janauary and until today. Now half of my games mysteriously dont work while others do. What could be causing some of my games to not read period and others to boot up instantly and fine?

Update: Deleting the cache did nothing at all. My brand new battlefield: BC that ive played fine for 2 weeks wont even go anywhere. Instantly Disc read errors. Some titles atleast boot up then disc read error.

Guess ill be sending in this month old 360 now. Great!!!!

Anyone ever had the problem where the 360 would be powered on while downloading something and there would be no picture, sound, or ring of light showing up? The only thing that shows up is the green light in the center.

I just got this 360 after using the replacement plan from Best Buy last week. If this turns out to be a precursor to other problems or if it continues to be a problem then I'm just going to get another replacement before the end of the month and ebay it.

desa

Metalic Sand said:
So i went to play Gears 2 and got an update and thought that was odd. Disc read error after that and ive NEVER had disc read error problems before.... Now almost all of my games wont work and there all in perfect condition and worked before i got this mysterious update.

What the fuck!!! i just got my system repaired and got it back Mid january. This makes no sense? This system was perfectly fine all of janauary and until today. Now half of my games mysteriously dont work while others do. What could be causing some of my games to not read period and others to boot up instantly and fine?

Update: Deleting the cache did nothing at all. My brand new battlefield: BC that ive played fine for 2 weeks wont even go anywhere. Instantly Disc read errors. Some titles atleast boot up then disc read error.

Guess ill be sending in this month old 360 now. Great!!!!

I really think there's some correlation between system/game updates and bricking consoles. When my elite fucked up, I was either in the middle of downloading a game update or just finished patching one (When Gears2 had that recent big update). I've read quite a bit of similar stories.

When is Microsoft going to add E74 to the 3-year warranty coverage? I've seen an alarming amount of E74 reports on various boards and even three people that I personally know have had E74's within a month.

FrankT

crimsonheadGCN said:
Anyone ever had the problem where the 360 would be powered on while downloading something and there would be no picture, sound, or ring of light showing up? The only thing that shows up is the green light in the center.

I just got this 360 after using the replacement plan from Best Buy last week. If this turns out to be a precursor to other problems or if it continues to be a problem then I'm just going to get another replacement before the end of the month and ebay it.

That is what it does when the 360 continues to download something when you turn the 360 off. When the download is finished it will completely shut off. If you have this option on this is what it does. Also, after a certain amount of time on with no activity it will power to lower power use in a similar fashion. It will also shut down after 6 hours of no use if you have that option on IIRC.

Jtyettis said:
That is what it does when the 360 continues to download something when you turn the 360 off. When the download is finished it will completely shut off. If you have this option on this is what it does. Also, after a certain amount of time on with no activity it will power to lower power use in a similar fashion. It will also shut down after 6 hours of no use if you have that option on IIRC.

I know that the 360 does that to continue downloading something. It seems like I didn't explain this correctly, so here I go again. I was trying to turn the system back up so I could cancel all the downloads that were queued, since it was affecting my ping in WoW. I used the controller to power it back on and the power button light went solid green. The ring around the power button had no green or red lights and the controller refused to sync. My previous 360 did the same thing at times and it ended up crapping out last week with the E74 error.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:

RedNumberFive said:
I was having these same EXACT symptoms in HL2: Ep2. Right at the end of the game no less. After it froze up about a dozen times, it finally gave up and red ringed.

Fuck.

This will be the third time I send it in if it red-rings. Is there any way I can get some compensation of some sort from Microsoft? I want a free game or something if I have to send in my 360 again. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i decided to go with the xbox.com repair request after i got screwed over from it in December, Repair box comes today! It seems there going to cover my Disc read error problems free of charge since i just got this repaired system from them last month.

No dealing with India support! whew.

2nd 360 down. Onto the 3rd i go.

My 2nd Xbox died yesterday. It was an Elite, bought it in August 2007. RROD, just when I was urging for a Mass Effect playthrough. :(

Called in support, now waiting for the labels and to make an appointment to have it picked up.

Dammit, I'm bummed. :(

I bought a refurb 360 on ebay and it RROD'd. I try get it sent back but then I'm told that the extended warranty expired for this thing. Any advice as to what I should do?

Top Bottom